Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

apple posted:

Yeah I mean there's that, but this somehow keeps happening time and time again which is weird. My guess is said person has some perceived clout partly due to "tenure" in the sense that this person has been around since forever, plays a lot and writes massive amounts of words. OTOH the usual problem consistently comes up: presenting things as self-evident fact, or even worse as absolutes (in a game like Crawl this is a good way to ruin a discussion since so many situations aren't black and white at all). This seems to foster the type of discussion where people try to read between the lines, only everyone's interpretation is slightly different and everyone fights each other, it's pretty silly. That thread on "Eurocentrism" is no exception even if the focus is more on the flavor aspects of DCSS.

I haven't followed the recent discussions on the Tavern at all, even if I think that the general conversation about what is and isn't okay to say is in fact very productive, in spite of how awful the actual contents of the dialogue might be. But I agree that the tavern cannot possibly produce a good outcome in this situation because of the general tone and quality of posts there. I think the good-faith to shitpost ratio on both SA and the Tavern is something like 40/60, but on the Tavern, the 40% of good posters are engaged in a constant pissing contest over who can be the best and simultaneously most sarcastic player.

There might be reason to grudgingly include Duvessa/minmay among the good posters in the Tavern, even though I disagree with him (her?) on almost everything and think Crawl will improve drastically on the day that he finally vanishes up his own rear end in a top hat into a little ball of creepiness and hate. But I completely agree with your assessment here. Duvessa/minmay posts a lot of good points, and not infrequently backs them up with extremely strong experience of the game and good logical reasoning. But he frequently posts in completely absolute terms even, or especially, about very controversial points, and responds with absolute disdain to those with less than his own, perceived, authority. I have never seen him respond to anyone but another blue-titled tavern poster or a dev with anything resembling the tone one would take when communicating with an adult. If he had some mastery of the basics of human interaction, he would be a valuable member of the community, but his inability to express himself in a way acceptable to most other members of the species renders his contributions vastly less valuable than they would otherwise deserve to be.

My favorite Duvessa gems of late: Teleportitis is never meaningfully dangerous in any situation he can think of, and casters have higher max MP than they will ever need by the time they reach lair. I'm sure in a certain (perhaps highly abstracted, idealized sense) these are true for Duvessa. But they are far from true for the vast majority of people who play the game, and that almost certainly includes players better than Duvessa himself. I'm sure there are many other, more absurd statements of his that I've had the good fortune to have never read.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Any reasonable forum would have banned duvessa long ago. Instead it's the alt account of a moderator

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
On a more lighthearted note, the true prize of a trove full of axes:

p - the +11 executioner's axe of Cuck {antimagic, *Drain rElec rC- MR+++}

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Trolls? Tolkien, cut
Hydras? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Orcs? Tolkien, cut
Goblins? Tolkien, cut
Spriggans? Exotic Cornish mysticism, cut
Nagas? Exotic Hindu mysticism, cut
Kobolds? Exotic Germanic mysticism, cut
Minotaurs? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Mummies? Exotic Egyptian mysticism, cut
Efreet? Exotic Arab mysticism, cut
Harpies? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Sirens? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Satyrs? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Fauns? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Merfolk? Exotic Assyrian mysticism, cut
Wargs? Tolkien, cut
Zombies? Exotic Voodoo mysticism, cut
Gargoyles? Exotic French mysticism, cut
Krakens? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Wights? Tolkien, cut
Centaurs? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut

Humans? Too boring, cut

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Also being able to use shatter against that blue statue wizard is ableist

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I once started a MiBe with the goal of earning the Chief of Staff title, and I poured all my xp into staves once I could because it was a dumb gimmick.

I ended up winning despite my idiocy because Trog gifted me a +10 randart lajatang of speed at some point in Lair.

What I'm getting at is MiBe, Oriental Mysticm and made up weapons are all overpowered and should be removed from the game.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Yeah, I will say I've agreed with things duvessa said before, and I like the idea of considering how to draw flavor from real-life sources on paper, just not how it was approached. I don't even think duvessa necessarily does their zany antics on purpose but they certainly are enabled in tavern "culture".

The teleportitis line is pretty insane lol. Even if it were somehow true with some esoteric interpretation, any sufficiently unqualified statement like that becomes near indistinguishable from bad advice (which happens more often than not). That mutation *will* find ways to kill you, it's explicitly designed that way!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Saying teleportitis is never dangerous is stupid. If you can't think of a situation where being teleported in front of monsters can be dangerous then you're not thinking very hard.

I've noticed there is this trend among "good" crawl players to act like Crawl is super easy even though their winrates don't back up this assertion. If you look at the top 100 players, most don't even have a winrate over 10%. How can you claim a game is easy when you aren't even beating it more than 1/10 of the time? Then there are devs who say they want to make the game harder when they have atrocious winrates and it baffles me. Even when you have a strong understanding of Crawl, consistently playing perfectly and never making major mistakes is a level of skill most of us don't reach. There are players that can streak 30+ times in a row, but most people even in the top 100 can't come close to that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
There's this tendency to keep seeing where people are always like "____ is easy you just inflict damage on it until its hitpoints reach zero" or "____ is boring because it just deals damage" or whatever when the entire point is that individual elements of the game are straightforward and easily solved and it's in combination that they make the game hard.

gammafunk
Dec 19, 2015

Araganzar posted:

This is how I felt, to a lesser extent, for me it was more that people were actually trying to witch hunt the devs responsible. That's beyond the pale.

I made as much of an effort post as I've ever made there and the only result was someone said something sarcastic and lovely back to me and got the thread locked. At least when you get dumped on in SA it usually comes with a critique.

That thread actually isn't locked, I just posted a note asking people to chill out with the snark after you got that (unhelpful) response. It's tough for people to keep calm when discussing these things, sometimes.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

gammafunk posted:

That thread actually isn't locked, I just posted a note asking people to chill out with the snark after you got that (unhelpful) response. It's tough for people to keep calm when discussing these things, sometimes.

To be honest, gamma, there are lot of folks there that could probably manage it if they made even the slightest effort to get along.

TBQH, that stuff doesn't get under my skin. The biggest impediment to reasonable discourse is the persistent dogmatism from a few people who follow every thread like they think it's loving their girlfriend. I understand the difficulties this presents to the moderators and I try to be sympathetic when I can remember to.

edit: oh yah, per your suggestion I did oneandwon a naga. To increase your chances of wining NaAr, I recommend transitioning from a +9 exec axe of chop to a +9 exec axe of vamp around Depths.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 23, 2017

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Finally finished the hardest combo, MiBe! By hardest I mean hardest to play without slamming tab and getting yourself killed! Only took me like 6 years and 5 other ascentions!

edit: is 2 hours fast? i have no idea what constitutes a fast win but that feels pretty speedy to me

tote up a bags fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 23, 2017

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

tote up a bags posted:

Finally finished the hardest combo, MiBe! By hardest I mean hardest to play without slamming tab and getting yourself killed! Only took me like 6 years and 5 other ascentions!

edit: is 2 hours fast? i have no idea what constitutes a fast win but that feels pretty speedy to me

That's super fast. It's rare for me to win in under 5 hours. Can't believe you 15-runed a melee gargoyle before 3-runing an MiBe.

So I'm playing an Ogre, take the stairs down to Swamp 4. Some dick shouts and brings the whole vault down on me before I can even move.

So no problem, I'll just take one of the other two stairs and...

:negative:

Fun activity, see if you can spot the shambling mangrove. I've named him Waldo.

There's a trap door but my armor consists of a hat and troll skin so maybe I'll just come back in about a billion years.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Trolls? Tolkien, cut
Hydras? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Orcs? Tolkien, cut
Goblins? Tolkien, cut
Spriggans? Exotic Cornish mysticism, cut
Nagas? Exotic Hindu mysticism, cut
Kobolds? Exotic Germanic mysticism, cut
Minotaurs? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Mummies? Exotic Egyptian mysticism, cut
Efreet? Exotic Arab mysticism, cut
Harpies? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Sirens? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Satyrs? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Fauns? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Merfolk? Exotic Assyrian mysticism, cut
Wargs? Tolkien, cut
Zombies? Exotic Voodoo mysticism, cut
Gargoyles? Exotic French mysticism, cut
Krakens? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut
Wights? Tolkien, cut
Centaurs? Exotic Greek mysticism, cut

Replace all monsters and players with various kinds of crab?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Noone tell the devs that Jiangshi are actually Chinese hopping vampires in origin and not based on an anime chick from Capcom's Darkstalkers fighting game or they will remove them next.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I liked Sword of Jihad, but I completely understand that it was changed. Jihad has a very warped connotation in English and I've had games ruined for me because the devs refuse to consider that I don't want to think about "fantasy racism" when I'm playing.

What I enjoyed about it was the flavor and the new sword is lacking so that sucks, but can be rectified. If seeing the old name earnestly upset anyone, I'm perfectly fine with the name change. It's not really a sacrifice because I never see it, but you know.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sword of Four Blades moving in Four Directions

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Sword of being really angry about religion

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Foxfire_ posted:

Sorry, the Númenóreans were renowned mariners and surely fished for and ate crabs.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Foxfire_ posted:

Done. Now need to get someone to fix whatever I screwed up, add this to lang-fake.cc, and commit it.

Designed so the canon playthrough is as a merman using polearms. Feel free to suggest additions or modifications.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Vinestalkers absolutely need to be renamed to Crabgrass.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Araganzar posted:

Done. Now need to get someone to fix whatever I screwed up, add this to lang-fake.cc, and commit it.

Designed so the canon playthrough is as a merman using polearms. Feel free to suggest additions or modifications.

If there was a way to play with custom fakelangs I would absolutely do this.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Polearms-> Polepincers

Triple Sword-> Triple Claw

Crababudduqha

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I like having real-world religious and mythological references because I think religions are cool and it's easier to grasp a reference to Efreet than Hepliaklqana (especially in a game that isn't really into doing things for the sake of atmosphere)

Although I also thought that having YHWH, Amaterasu and Shiva all packed into the same game was what makes Shin Megami Tensei so much fun to play

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Araganzar posted:

It's currently crashing whenever it tries to replace a word, so I'll have to go through the list and figure out why.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I like having real-world religious and mythological references because I think religions are cool and it's easier to grasp a reference to Efreet than Hepliaklqana (especially in a game that isn't really into doing things for the sake of atmosphere)

Although I also thought that having YHWH, Amaterasu and Shiva all packed into the same game was what makes Shin Megami Tensei so much fun to play

Yeah, the SMT series have been making religious and mythological references since forever and it does a pretty nice job at establishing an alternate mythos that's legitimately interesting specifically because of those references. It's also one of those controversial games that regularly come up in similar discussions like these (very obviously Christianity-based god being portrayed as not so good, Krishna is also heavily featured in SMTIV Apocalypse, etc.) but I think Atlus has walked this path carefully enough if the game can appear on a 3DS and is also one of Atlus's best selling games.

Like, you can spend hours upon hours reading SMT wikis because there's so much lore derived from real-world references that is fascinating to read because of how it was adapted to the SMT world. This kind of thing I'm definitely down for, OTOH if you just slap on a real-world reference onto DCSS without making it feel like it's /actually/ part of the world you're doing exactly that: copying a reference onto a game. DCSS isn't exactly about the story, so this is fine to some extent, but for what purpose is pretty important.

Let's say there's one main type of reference that Crawl makes, basically references to add flavor/badassery to something. For example: I like enemies like seraphs/daevas and stuff because I associate those names with "badass divine dudes". Similarly if you find Sharnga you'd think "oh cool this bow belongs to a god". There's countless examples for weapons in games, religious or not (Longinus spear, Masamune, Excalibur, Mjollnir, etc.)

On the other hand like Chakan mentioned with sword of Jihad it has a very warped connotation in English which is reinforced by the description, I don't feel like this is badass at all. Because of how it's presented, the ties it has to the negative connotations is so strong that I can't think of that weapon as something cool or badass, it's just this awkward weapon that has a bad name. Even SMT games use "Jihad" but in a different manner: it's just the name of a top tier physical attack. It's a subtle but important difference.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Araganzar posted:

That's super fast. It's rare for me to win in under 5 hours. Can't believe you 15-runed a melee gargoyle before 3-runing an MiBe.

Tab holding is a powerful drug

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

It's currently crashing whenever it tries to replace a word, so I'll have to go through the list and figure out why.

It looks like I got crablang working by stripping out all the ^ and $, as well as condensing the last couple line replacements to the same two string format that the rest of them are in. Here's the branch comparison if you want to see the modifications.

It's not fully tested yet, so I don't know if all the replacements are working or if any crashes occur, but a quick new game shows it is at least functioning at first glance. It also definitely needs to be a full replacement, at least of all possible monsters; anything less would not fully honor the crab.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

It looks like I got crablang working by stripping out all the ^ and $, as well as condensing the last couple line replacements to the same two string format that the rest of them are in. Here's the branch comparison if you want to see the modifications.

Hmmm the dwarven language uses that format to make sure for example replacing "you" with "yer" doesn't alo replace "bayou" with "bayer".

I'll PM you. It might be I was using ~ as a marker for spaces and forgot to replace them when I was done.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Just died to my own ghost, a yup.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Ok progress is being made on crabman language:

Floodkiller has been real boss on helping with this and it's possible we'll get it into a webtiles branch somewhere.

I also finally won a first-try Halfling, went Pakellas in 0.18 but I didn't get great evocables, had a crap weapon, and no resists but rPois. So I swap to Oka and his first gift is +5 double sword of Cobwebs {speed, +Rage Int+6 Stlth+}.

This leaves me with Spriggan, Troll, Tengu, and Felid left to win for greatoneandwon. I have only 8 tries left on Spriggan and only 6 on Troll (e.g. I fail six more times on Tr and I can never ever EVER oneandwon the race).
Sp - Ar, EE, FE, Fi, Hu, IE, Su, and Wn
Tr - Ar, As, Be, En, FE, IE

Once I splat TrBe, these all look super hard. Any recommended combos for a particular release?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
SpAr and SpIE are fairly classic combos, TrAs isn't trash either. Troll can be basically run by ignoring your class, turn on Unarmed Combat and Trog it up.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

SpEE is easy, it's just super boring even for Sp because of the extra kiting to regen mana. EE can go almost pure earth so their garbage conj apt doesn't hurt much and you can get petrify easy.

Alternatively, sling spriggan hunter is pretty easy mode.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Darox posted:

SpEE is easy, it's just super boring even for Sp because of the extra kiting to regen mana. EE can go almost pure earth so their garbage conj apt doesn't hurt much and you can get petrify easy.

How do you manage hunger relying on casting? That's always my issue with Sp. Maybe I'm too paranoid about food usage.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
They've got a pretty good spellcasting Apt. Or you can worship Gozag

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Araganzar posted:

How do you manage hunger relying on casting? That's always my issue with Sp. Maybe I'm too paranoid about food usage.

This is the second reason SpEE is extra boring. Stick to the lower level spells for anything you can safely kite, keep boosting that spellcasting. Food isn't that strict though, you can get away with 5-6# hunger LRDs occasionally for the dangerous fights and it gets easier the further you go as long as you don't try to shatterspam asap.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Darox posted:

This is the second reason SpEE is extra boring. Stick to the lower level spells for anything you can safely kite, keep boosting that spellcasting. Food isn't that strict though, you can get away with 5-6# hunger LRDs occasionally for the dangerous fights and it gets easier the further you go as long as you don't try to shatterspam asap.

Ok last question - Looking both at wins and attempts, most popular gods are Ash, Vehumet, and Sif. Which is the least painful? I would usually go Vehumet on a fragile race for the extra range and also unlike Sif Vehumet's mana return does not cost hunger. But divine energy doesn't cost hunger and it looks like you would use channel WAY less often than with old Sif. Ash would make petrify stabbing very easy.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

My personal preference would always be Vehumet, but I don't think Sif would be much worse.

I haven't done much petrify stabbing but my impression was that it's kinda weak. You're like a hexer hybrid except you need more skill to pull it off and it's less flexible. Maybe with Ash it would be okay but it seems like an unreliable tactic.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Just started playing DeFE, and D:1 has a Crystal Plate Armor. Thanks, Crawl!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I feel like there should be a Xom vault that spawns artifact gear that your current race can't use. Maybe there is one already.

• Locked thread