Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Veyrall posted:

AKA, literally everything people said it could do, but then other people said that wasn't good enough because

Because you're tapping out on turn 3 in modern probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
We have now won our first 2 rounds with Approach of the Second Sun - this is insane.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

suicidesteve posted:

Because you're tapping out on turn 3 in modern probably.

There are downsides, definitely, but if you get to untap with it even once it's such a weight on your opponent's gameplan and it can just grind them into dust with value. It feels like a planeswalker that's harder to interact with and gives value on your opponent's turn. It lets you get your colonnades live earlier and lets you leave tons of mana up for a big revelation at end of turn when you're ready to turn the corner.

Retromancer fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 22, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Retromancer posted:

There are downsides, definitely, but if you get to untap with it even once it's such a weight on your opponent's gameplan and it can just grind them into dust with value. It feels like a planeswalker that's harder to interact with and gives value on your opponent's turn. It lets you get your colonnades live earlier and lets you leave tons of mana up for a big revelation at end of turn when you're ready to turn the corner.

You spent a card and three mana to do nothing, that's absolutely not a "weight on your opponent's gameplan" until at least two turns later where you can, if you spent literally all your mana on every turn in between, start actually recouping that investment.

If you have another bad card (Ancestral Vision) at the same time, then I can guess you can turn that combination into a literal Divination, which is definitely a worthwhile payoff for tapping out on turn 3 in modern.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I remember playing against Melissa DeTora in Providence, RI FNMs. I lost.
:shobon:

That seems like a pretty reasonable thing to happen.

I'm not a commander player and when she explained her deck it sounded super interesting but as she played it I grew further and further :stonkhat: as the game progressed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZbkW7aafkU

suicidesteve posted:

P2P1 Braids over some other cards that weren't Braids so I didn't look at or care about them, and I never looked back.

Braids was absolutely insane, aside from the game where I cast her on turn 3 and she got sent farming. She won me 2 games single-handedly and was instrumental in winning 2 others.

Just a reminder, since I recall you bringing up your love of Braids before: both Braids are legal in Penny Dreadful, if you think you can outbrew the regulars. OTOH it's RDW from here till the eye can see until next rotation and I doubt a U/B Braids deck is going to beat that.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Jabor posted:

You spent a card and three mana to do nothing, that's absolutely not a "weight on your opponent's gameplan" until at least two turns later where you can, if you spent literally all your mana on every turn in between, start actually recouping that investment.

If you have another bad card (Ancestral Vision) at the same time, then I can guess you can turn that combination into a literal Divination, which is definitely a worthwhile payoff for tapping out on turn 3 in modern.

ancestral vision is many things, including sometimes too slow for the variably aggressive modern metagame, but "bad card" isn't one of them

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I think restore balance helps it a bit turn three board effect-wise, but I'm not a good enough player to figure out if it being a dead card without as foretold or like discarding cards against burn is too big a downside. Suspend ancestral, interaction, restore balance, crack ancestral would feel incredible the 1/100 games it'd happen, though.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
So that was the strangest 2HG pre release I've ever played in.

My partner and I both had garbage pools for RUW but bomb-rear end Black and Green cards... to the point where we built TWO full-fledged BG decks; one around -1/-1 counters (hapatra, 5/4 menace guy, 5 soulstingers) and one cycling deck (2 archfiend, 3 cycling lands, bunch of cycling fatties).

At the last minute my partner sees our copy of Approach of the Second Sun and says "we'll splash - it'll be out backup wincon". One plains, a few mana dorks, and he works it in as the only white card.

We ended up winning ALL THREE ROUNDS with that drat card. We were so removal heavy no one could hold a board against us or stop us from casting it!

Most fun I've had at a pre-release yet!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My promo was the black god. I lost my first two rounds (match 1 was close, match 2 my opponent got the Pervert out both times turn 4 with no way for me to kill it, basically.) I switch over to UR because my black was the weaker color. Won my next two matches with 2 Reduce to Rubble and the non-Spellheart Chimera. Red seems really good in this set.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Jabor posted:

You're being overly dismissive of a powerful effect. But hey, I'm gonna put my money where my mouth is and buy up a UW control shell and run it. If I can find a decent, fairly competitive place to play, I'll even post updates on how it goes.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Went 3-0-1 ID the last round. with G/W splashing black. White god is real good, embalm creatures are real good, final reward is real good, and green cartouche is just insane for a common.

Slow players are the loving worst though. Guy went 20+ minutes over twice in three rounds. I had to go up to him and tell him to stop being a dick multiple times because he literally tanked for 10 minutes on blocks against a hellbent opponent at 4AM at a loving prerelease.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Balon posted:

So that was the strangest 2HG pre release I've ever played in.

My partner and I both had garbage pools for RUW but bomb-rear end Black and Green cards... to the point where we built TWO full-fledged BG decks; one around -1/-1 counters (hapatra, 5/4 menace guy, 5 soulstingers) and one cycling deck (2 archfiend, 3 cycling lands, bunch of cycling fatties).

At the last minute my partner sees our copy of Approach of the Second Sun and says "we'll splash - it'll be out backup wincon". One plains, a few mana dorks, and he works it in as the only white card.

We ended up winning ALL THREE ROUNDS with that drat card. We were so removal heavy no one could hold a board against us or stop us from casting it!

Most fun I've had at a pre-release yet!

This rules.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Ended up going 4-0-0 only dropping one game with W/U fliers. Decision Paralysis is loving amazing and I can't believe they printed it at instant. I was able to win the first round off of stealing a Nissa that had already ulted once with Lay Claim and then ulting her again. 10/10 would prerelease again

Listerine Hangover
Aug 5, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just got home from my local midnight prerelease. Promo card was Temmet. I pulled a Liliana *whistle* and had a lot of good zombies/zombie related cards, so i went with a Mardu Zombie build.

While I was waiting for the bathroom before the tournament, someone behind me said they had a glock in their pocket. He was a weird aspie demon that stared at me before I switched tables. I was legit concerned about getting shot up tonight. Man

First round was a bust. The opponent played a U/G deck and pulled a Nissa both games, where as Liliana was absent.

Second round was also a bust. I got swept by R/G deck with enough burn and stompage to overpower my deck. I didn't see Liliana second round either.

I dropped and drove home tired and bitter. I had a hard time enjoying this midnight prere due to technical difficulties delaying the tournament. Also the fear of getting James Holmes'd made the night tense and awkward for me. Anyway, in my opinion green is the best color to play for amonkhet sealed, and it seems any build with cards that make those 1/1 white warrior tokens are prob gonna go 3-0/4-0.

Listerine Hangover fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 22, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Veyrall posted:

You're being overly dismissive of a powerful effect. But hey, I'm gonna put my money where my mouth is and buy up a UW control shell and run it. If I can find a decent, fairly competitive place to play, I'll even post updates on how it goes.

It's a powerful effect for sure, but it's only powerful on like turn 6 (and that's only after taking a turn off at a critical point in the game to cast it). The typical UW control deck has like one copy of one card that's only good in the late game.

I'll gladly eat crow if it turns out to be good. But I think it's just too slow to be building your deck around, and not good enough if you're not.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

3-1 U/B Cycle tonight. Beat B/G -1/-1 counters by having consistent flyers, beat U/R Spells because it was U/R Spells (dont play this deck.), lost to B/W drain (they had black monument out and the 2 drop artifact that drains for having tapped creatures, they loaded up with exert and other control outlets), beat U/W tokens through counterspells. one guy a table over pulled masterpiece containment priest and aven mindcensor. fun night overall, doing another pre release in ~5 hours. now i sleep

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

Listerine Hangover posted:

While I was waiting for the bathroom before the tournament, someone behind me said they had a glock in their pocket. He was a weird aspie demon that stared at me before I switched tables. I was legit concerned about getting shot up tonight. Man

:staredog:

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me

i would have been out of there, grats on the liliana though

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Sexual Shiite posted:

According to the evidence that FL has fought really hard to cover up, he was cheating on MDT with a bunch of other women at tournaments, claiming love at first sight and copy and pasting the same messages to multiple women. After the guy that broke the story posted, several women corroborated.

Frank Lepore is a giant piece of poo poo. Not only did he cheat, but his fetish was attached women. So many women In Relationships had to deal with his unwanted advances wherever he went. He is the stereotypical creeper women have to deal with at a lgs.

A friend recently moved into the area and beside his new job, a stalker was a factor in him and his wife moving. That stalker? Dough boy frank lepore.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have the hardest time believing professional magic players aren't the classiest people; why else call them professionals.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Went 1-2-2 with a durdly black-green midrange deck with no real bombs. Everyone was very nice. :shobon:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Didn't report it? Or is this one of those states that are very liberal with guns? We had a guy get kicked out and banned from an LGS once because they were open carrying a gun. It's legal in that state but :lol: at feeling you need to bring a gun to a children's card game.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Also I got to CAST MOUTH so I'll chalk this up as a win.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The thread title still not being I CAST MOUTH is a huge disappointment smh

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Siivola posted:

Went 1-2-2 with a durdly black-green midrange deck with no real bombs. Everyone was very nice. :shobon:

Do you have your pool still? You can post it in here or in the fairly moribund Limited thread if you want a deckbuilding critique.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This is what I eventually ended up at, after fiddling a lot between matches. I started out with a bad WB zombie deck, but started pivoting more and more into G after my first opponent kindly pointed out I didn't have a wincon. :v:

Deck: Durdle to the Max

//Main
1 Ahn-Crop Champion
2 Blighted Bat
1 Cartouche of Ambition
1 Channeler Initiate
1 Cursed Minotaur
1 Edifice of Authority
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Final Reward
6 Forest
1 Giant Spider
1 Hooded Brawler
1 Horror of the Broken Lands
1 Impeccable Timing
1 Lord of the Accursed
1 Mouth // Feed
1 Naga Vitalist
1 Painted Bluffs
1 Pitiless Vizier
2 Plains
1 Prepare // Fight
1 Scaled Behemoth
1 Scarab Feast
1 Stinging Shot
1 Stir the Sands
7 Swamp
1 Trial of Strength
1 Wasteland Scorpion

Display deck statistics

Anything particular you want to know about my pool? I'd rather not type it all out.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Siivola posted:

Also I got to CAST MOUTH so I'll chalk this up as a win.

I'm going to a pre-release tonight and a 2HG pre-release tomorrow and even if I 0-2 both events if I get to CAST MOUTH I'll consider the weekend a whopping success. :hfive:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Nothing in particular, more of a general curiosity. For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of the white splash here. Impeccable timing is a pretty mediocre card. Prepare to Fight and Ahn-Crop Champion are almost certainly very good cards, but the problem is that tricks tend to be better in the early game(when you may be missing your splash color), and most of the reason a card like the Champion is going to be good is because it is a 4 mana 4/4, which is less good if you land it on like turn 5 or 6.

Speaking of which, Shimmering Grotto/Painted Bluffs is generally not a good card because it makes your spells cost one more. Mostly though, I'd try to get away from the splash because I don't think the extra power is likely worth the extra mana inconsistency, but it's hard to tell without seeing what else you have available.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I had almost zilch for removal, so I ended up going with the green-whites. In red I had a Magma Spray and a Trial, and in blue I had a pair of Essence Scatters, but neither had creatures I loved (that didn't have double coloured costs). In hindsight, the Shimmerscale Drake and the River Snake should've maybe caught my eye, but so it goes. I'm not too bummed since getting to say "okay, untap Scaled Behemoth with Prepare, block your Glory-Bound Initiate" felt pretty good.

My mana worked shockingly well so the Shimmering Grotto didn't really come up for good or ill, but I understand the objection. I ended up going for it because the mana dorks sort-of-not-really offset the extra cost.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Went to my first midnight prerelease, was a lot of fun as everyone was too busy rubbing their eyes and getting Subway to try and be competitive!

My pool seemed mediocre and I wasn't quite sure what to do, then the last 3 cards of the last pack in order were Decimator Beetle, Hapatra into Maelstrom Pulse. Highlight of the evening was looking someone who had lethal on board dead in the eye and going 'Maelstrom Pulse your 8 snakes' while my friend had the John Cena theme playing on his phone for unrelated reasons. Most of my win reports among friends ended with '...and then I Maelstrom Pulsed their X', card is pretty obscene in this format!

Also splashing blue for Glyph Keeper was disgusting - had 2 opponents use 4(!) of their removal spells to get rid of it in one game.

The Wicked Wall fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 22, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I keep thinking "bit of a shame I didn't really figure out how this set works until match four, maybe I should go do another tomorrow".

I'm done for, aren't I? :shepspends:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 22, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
man i really wanna do a pre-release but last night i was out with friends and they wanna do stuff tonight...the horrors of friendship

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

man i really wanna do a pre-release but last night i was out with friends and they wanna do stuff tonight...the horrors of friendship

Same but the horrors of engineering finals

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
2-3 at my prerelease today. Opened a really shallow pool of all colors, with just a few bits of removal in each so....5 color control. I actually had a LOT of really narrow games, and the deck was super fun to play.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Just pulled Gideon, glorybringer, dusk/dawn, insult/injury, and a bunch of the new pacifism plus combat tricks, so boros aggro it is I guess. Fingers crossed I can pilot this to a decent finish.

Also had an archdemon, but my Black pool was a little thin and I don't have enough fixing to attempt three color. C'est la vie.

Listerine Hangover
Aug 5, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chill la Chill posted:

Didn't report it? Or is this one of those states that are very liberal with guns? We had a guy get kicked out and banned from an LGS once because they were open carrying a gun. It's legal in that state but :lol: at feeling you need to bring a gun to a children's card game.

Gunshine state baby. The shop is right next to a notary that issues CWPs. Closeby theres a gun shop with a sign by the road that reads "SWAT GUNS." Just to give you an idea of my local scene.

Random question, is it possible to get prerelease promo masterpieces?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Gunshine state baby. The shop is right next to a notary that issues CWPs. Closeby theres a gun shop with a sign by the road that reads "SWAT GUNS." Just to give you an idea of my local scene.

Random question, is it possible to get prerelease promo masterpieces?

No.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
I'm going to a GP in my area in a couple of weeks, what kind of prices can I expect if I want to sell my cards there?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Roshambo posted:

I'm going to a GP in my area in a couple of weeks, what kind of prices can I expect if I want to sell my cards there?

Set your expectations pretty low. Generally about 40% of whatever tcg low is on your cards that aren't bulk. If some of your stuff is high demand 75% of tcglow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The new Gods aren't enchantments.

I sided in an enchament exile card to deal with an Oketra

:negative: