Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Volcott posted:

Man, those self-driving trucks can't get here soon enough.

Just wait until a self-driving truck accidentally merges into someone and drags them with no way to be stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Just wait until a self-driving truck accidentally merges into someone and drags them with no way to be stopped.

Self-driving trucks would be even easier to stop. If they weren't, they'd be barreling through everything.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Science fiction has gone to great lengths to warn us about the dangers of pushing truck technology too far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68dTwJNvE1E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxsFiVRX6BE

But on the other hand science fiction has also shown us that truck based technology could end up saving the human race!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCaNe3WYJkU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Volcott posted:

It will most likely get delayed for decades by transportation lobbyists/UAW/Teamsters etc. Additionally, for the same reason we don't have self-flying commercial jets it'll at most result in having a driver in the seat as a backup.

We have the technology to take off, navigate, and land planes autonomously, but people want some dude in the front seat calmly announcing the current time in Duluth after pressing the LAND button. The same mindset will keep commercial drivers in the seats, especially with the help of the lobbyists.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

MausoleumExtremist posted:

It will most likely get delayed for decades by transportation lobbyists/UAW/Teamsters etc. Additionally, for the same reason we don't have self-flying commercial jets it'll at most result in having a driver in the seat as a backup.

We have the technology to take off, navigate, and land planes autonomously, but people want some dude in the front seat calmly announcing the current time in Duluth after pressing the LAND button. The same mindset will keep commercial drivers in the seats, especially with the help of the lobbyists.

Those 50k carrots don't care and the companies want their sleepless driving drones
So who would lobby against that? Pharma companies?

-e-
So there is a trucker union?
Good luck if they couldn't even fight current conditions.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lurking Haro posted:

Those 50k carrots don't care and the companies want their sleepless driving drones
So who would lobby against that? Pharma companies?

-e-
So there is a trucker union?
Good luck if they couldn't even fight current conditions.

The only part where a self driving truck would actually be useful, long hauls on highways, is easy as gently caress and the cheapest part of trucking. It actually makes 0 economic sense to replace drivers with computers, especially since the current best self-driving car prototype requires the roadway to be mapped out to the millimeter and a LIDAR system that costs more than a new car.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Planes and Trucks are massively different problems and are not comparable. When truck goes wrong it gets to hit the breaks and park on the side of the road. It has an easy fail safe option. Planes don't.

An automated plane doesn't have that. If poo poo hits the fan where is it going to land? How would it choose? I am not talking about selecting an alternate, I mean you are going crash and somehow do it safely. Given the state of software that isn't written for spacecraft like the Shuttle was I don't look forward to the next time it bugs out mid flight. What about if it gets hacked and is hi-jack remotely? Are you going to shoot it down? A hostage taker can fly the plane with no risk to themselves. With zero day exploits you could take entire fleets hostage and crash them at will.

Ask yourself, would you trust your life to Windows?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
None of the issues with self driving vehicles really matter since "self driving cars are coming any day now" os the 2017 equivalent of saying "where are the jetpacks?"

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

oohhboy posted:

Planes and Trucks are massively different problems and are not comparable. When truck goes wrong it gets to hit the breaks and park on the side of the road. It has an easy fail safe option. Planes don't.

An automated plane doesn't have that. If poo poo hits the fan where is it going to land? How would it choose? I am not talking about selecting an alternate, I mean you are going crash and somehow do it safely. Given the state of software that isn't written for spacecraft like the Shuttle was I don't look forward to the next time it bugs out mid flight. What about if it gets hacked and is hi-jack remotely? Are you going to shoot it down? A hostage taker can fly the plane with no risk to themselves. With zero day exploits you could take entire fleets hostage and crash them at will.

Ask yourself, would you trust your life to Windows?

If poo poo has actually hit the fan your odds are bad in a plane no matter who or what is driving. You realize that Sully landing the plane on the Hudson River was very unusual right? If a person is capable of selecting a landing spot, so could a computer. Your objections are valid and will need to be addressed, but it doesn't mean that computer pilots are an overall bad idea and not going to happen.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Imagine the legal nightmare of being a vehicle manufacturer who is also the driver of every vehicle and responsible for everything they do. lol.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Spatial posted:

Imagine the legal nightmare of being a vehicle manufacturer who is also the driver of every vehicle and responsible for everything they do. lol.

Can't we already skip to the trolley problem since that's the direction I think this is going?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Please don't. Fictional problems can wait for a couple of decades until people have solved the innumerable real ones.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Spatial posted:

Please don't. Fictional problems can wait for a couple of decades until people have solved the innumerable real ones.

Autonomous cars that operate with no driver input will not exist within the lifetime of anyone reading this, if they ever exist at all.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Um, excuse me, I think you'll learn they will arrive next year if you ask my illegal disruptive app company's marketing department. :colbert:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Improbable Lobster posted:

It actually makes 0 economic sense to replace drivers with computers, especially since the current best self-driving car prototype requires the roadway to be mapped out to the millimeter and a LIDAR system that costs more than a new car.

Maybe stop watching videos from 2012 and start watching some from 2016:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj-rK8V-rik&t=1070s

You should really watch the whole video. Progress is fast, very fast and everything is constantly getting better. Autonomous cars will be a thing and it won't take 50 years or whatever was predicted 5 years ago.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

RabbitWizard posted:

Maybe stop watching videos from 2012 and start watching some from 2016:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj-rK8V-rik&t=1070s

You should really watch the whole video. Progress is fast, very fast and everything is constantly getting better. Autonomous cars will be a thing and it won't take 50 years or whatever was predicted 5 years ago.

It won't take 50 years because it'll never happen, it's a story companies tell investors. Google in particular is bleeding talent and money.
http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/13/14599186/google-waymo-self-driving-salary-compensation-autonomous

quote:

In 2015, Google’s parent company Alphabet lost a mind-boggling $3.5 billion on “other bets” like the self-driving project, and lost another billion dollars in the last quarter of 2016 alone. The company has a lot of projects in the “other bets” category, so not all can be blamed on self-driving cars, but the decision to spin off the project into Waymo could make the financials look a bit better.

Not that it really matters, self driving car tech will literally never be able to be as safe as a human driver and will continue to murder rich idiots until the various companies selling it shut down.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

It won't take 50 years because it'll never happen, it's a story companies tell investors. Google in particular is bleeding talent and money.
http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/13/14599186/google-waymo-self-driving-salary-compensation-autonomous

Not that it really matters, self driving car tech will literally never be able to be as safe as a human driver and will continue to murder rich idiots until the various companies selling it shut down.

Too bad big car companies like Mercedes, VW or BMW themselves are working on the same problem with similar results to Google's.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Those computers are going to have to work really hard to actually manage to be less safe than human drivers.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Tumble posted:

If poo poo has actually hit the fan your odds are bad in a plane no matter who or what is driving. You realize that Sully landing the plane on the Hudson River was very unusual right? If a person is capable of selecting a landing spot, so could a computer. Your objections are valid and will need to be addressed, but it doesn't mean that computer pilots are an overall bad idea and not going to happen.

poo poo goes wrong all the time on commercial flights, but we never hear about it because most of the failures have well established routines for dealing with them, and of course redundant systems.

There's a whole host of YouTube channels that post ATC recordings and this poo poo happens every few days. Engine failures, electrical issues, bird strikes, lightning strikes in air, whatever. What happens next is the human pilot lands the plane safely and no one really gives a poo poo except aviation nerds.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

From that article, the talent loss came from paying out so much in bonuses that their engineers piled up enough money to take a risk on other ventures, and the bonuses were for hitting performance milestones. Losing those engineers isn't great for Google, but the loss was a byproduct of the project's rapid progress.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

That list of film and television accidents page is the stuff of nightmares.

quote:

XXX (2002). Vin Diesel's stunt double, Harry L. O'Connor, was killed during filming, in a scene in which he was supposed to rappel down a parasailing line and land on a submarine but struck a bridge at high speed and was killed instantly.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Lurking Haro posted:

Too bad big car companies like Mercedes, VW or BMW themselves are working on the same problem with similar results to Google's.

Similar results as in no results that would actually work in the real world. Sure, better lane assist and speed matching software is nice but that's a long way away from automation.

Toast Museum posted:

From that article, the talent loss came from paying out so much in bonuses that their engineers piled up enough money to take a risk on other ventures, and the bonuses were for hitting performance milestones. Losing those engineers isn't great for Google, but the loss was a byproduct of the project's rapid progress.

Paying your workers too much isn't a sign of rapid progress, what are you a moron? It's a sign of incompetence. If I paid someone $100 million to create an immortality serum, them quitting and running with the money doesn't mean that immortality is only a few years away.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That was one hell of an anticlimax. :mad:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tumble posted:

I don't think a computer now or even in many decades time could or would have selected to land on the Hudson or picked the solution in every other emergency that the pilot pulled everyone asses out of the fire. You are asking people to program intuition and to formulate answers in contexts that are well outside it's normal operation with extremely limited information.

There are also many different levels of poo poo hitting the fan. Have fun trying to program them all in.

Planes are mostly automated in the sense during normal operations with navigation systems that fly a pre-programmed route using very simple programs. However they are not run completely in this mode as the pilots are more than seat warmers and need to take control time to time to maintain their skills otherwise they would be useless in an emergency. Again this is massively different from a car or truck where you get to hit the red stop button.

You are also introducing a massive single point of failure which is completely unacceptable when flying.

You would require a near human AI and that comes with all sorts of problems just formulating the idea of how it would work without killing everyone let alone program the thing. Have a look at Computerphile and search for AI on youtube. Just can't just shove a computer in it and call it a day. It's not a question of throwing money and man hours at the problem.

Then there are the legal and ethical problems. Who takes responsibility at the end of the day? Given the choice between killing the hundreds passengers or the people on the ground which would it choose? You would have to program it to kill. Who validates the work done when a patch comes out or a new aircraft is supported?

Again I ask would you trust windows with your life?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sammus posted:

That list of film and television accidents page is the stuff of nightmares.

The IMDB trivia segment on that one makes it even better worse.

quote:

Stunt player Harry O'Connor was killed when he hit a pillar of the Palacky Bridge in Prague, para-sailing during one of the actions scenes. The accident occured while filming the second take of the stunt; O'Connor's first attempt was completed without incident and can be seen in the completed film.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 22, 2017

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Volcott posted:

Pcos bill parachute account spotted

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ShadeofBlue posted:

Those computers are going to have to work really hard to actually manage to be less safe than human drivers.

I'm pretty sure I'll never see a computer drive a car down the freeway steering with it's knees because it's busy trying to smoke a bong.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Paying your workers too much isn't a sign of rapid progress, what are you a moron? It's a sign of incompetence. If I paid someone $100 million to create an immortality serum, them quitting and running with the money doesn't mean that immortality is only a few years away.

Again, they were paid bonuses on the basis of meeting performance milestones. That means that, in Google's estimation, their engineers were making good progress.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

C.M. Kruger posted:

I'm pretty sure I'll never see a computer drive a car down the freeway steering with it's knees because it's busy trying to smoke a bong.

Instead they drive into walls because the lines weren't repainted right, drive under trailers and decapitate the driver because they thought that an overpass was the sky, drive the wrong way through a one-way tunnel because it didn't recognize the one way signs or simply not move at all because there were clouds in the sky and the neural network had been exclusively trained in sunny California weather.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

oohhboy posted:

Then there are the legal and ethical problems. Who takes responsibility at the end of the day? Given the choice between killing the hundreds passengers or the people on the ground which would it choose? You would have to program it to kill. Who validates the work done when a patch comes out or a new aircraft is supported?

If a company decides to use Windows for their autonomous whatever, it's clearly their fault if anything goes wrong.

And thank you for going down the trolley rail again.
I'm pretty sure that any plane accident killing hundred on the ground would also kill the passengers.

Instead they drive into walls because the lines weren't repainted right, drive under trailers and decapitate the driver because they thought that an overpass was the sky, drive the wrong way through a one-way tunnel because it didn't recognize the one way signs or simply not move at all because there were clouds in the sky and the neural network had been exclusively trained in sunny California weather.

Way to go, equalling drive-assist systems to autonomous ones.
It should be mandatory that an autonomous car should refuse to work or at least drastically limit its performance if any sensor is giving inplausible data.
It will be 100% the owners fault if anything happens due to neglected maintenance.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 22, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Toast Museum posted:

Again, they were paid bonuses on the basis of meeting performance milestones. That means that, in Google's estimation, their engineers were making good progress.

Or they reached some bullshit meaningless milestones designed to give their engineers a payout to keep them loyal.

Google has a history of doing that.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Now I feel better about being paid in the 10th percentile for my field, it means the company wants me to stick around and succeed in their goals!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Alastair Reynolds has a short story in the collection Deep Navigation called "On the Oodnadatta" that's about autonomous trucks. It also contains what I feel is his most hilariously bad conceit- the 'mangaroo', a genetically engineered kangaroo with machine pistols grafted to its forelimbs

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's gonna be like in "Logan" where the self-driving trucks just blare an alarm at you and don't even try to stop.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
self driving vehicles will happen eventually, but probably not in a meaningful way for the next fifteen years. there will be some limited deployment of self driving vehicles in specific areas, and new cars will come with increasingly complex self driving behavior. but people will misuse this technology and get killed or kill others, which is going to attract more government regulation that will slow down the deployment and use of self driving technology. especially when it comes to trucks, which have tons of safety regulations already around driver behavior. even in the near future when trucks can be completely automated there will still be a human behind the wheel bored out of their mind tending the autopilot for redundancy

like the guy who got killed in the tesla was completely not paying attention as he should have been, since the automation in his vehicle is basically just fancy cruise control and automatic braking. this will happen a few hundred more times

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

boner confessor posted:

like the guy who got killed in the tesla was completely not paying attention as he should have been, since the automation in his vehicle is basically just fancy cruise control and automatic braking. this will happen a few hundred more times

Despite what Musk says Tesla explicitly sells their cars as being capable of automated driving.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

boner confessor posted:

self driving vehicles will happen eventually, but probably not in a meaningful way for the next fifteen years. there will be some limited deployment of self driving vehicles in specific areas, and new cars will come with increasingly complex self driving behavior. but people will misuse this technology and get killed or kill others, which is going to attract more government regulation that will slow down the deployment and use of self driving technology. especially when it comes to trucks, which have tons of safety regulations already around driver behavior. even in the near future when trucks can be completely automated there will still be a human behind the wheel bored out of their mind tending the autopilot for redundancy

I'm ok with a human being forced to sit there while the autopilot does things, that means millions of jobs won't be destroyed.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

oohhboy posted:

No, but I would trust a tuned, trialled and rigorously tested program.

Selecting a emergency landing site would not be the hardest problem in the world. One possible solution would be giving the plane a list of green zones where it can land along with the map data it already has. It already has access to its own location via gps.

Or you could give it a downward facing camera. It knows its elevation and your camera is of known specifications, combined with a edge detection algorithm you could identify large contiguous areas. Give the plane a minimum area to shoot for, and it could take care of the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

boner confessor posted:

.... and if they do develop the technology sufficiently it'll be implemented someplace in Europe and work pretty much as it was described on the box but it'll never be widely used in the US because it'd be too much work to coordinate changes across all the relevant federal and state departments.