Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hauki posted:

Goddamnit. Cleaning my baratza VP this morning, brushing out the burr and the upper burr holder just cracks in half out of the blue.

This guy?
https://www.baratza.com/product/burr-holder/

Or maybe this guy?
https://www.baratza.com/product/ring-burr-holder-3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

It's an older model, none of those model numbers match mine. I sent them an e-mail first thing this morning to ask if they were compatible but haven't gotten a response.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Try giving them a call. I had to call their customer service once and they were very helpful and responsive.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I'm not aware of any Baratza model named VP, photo of your grinder and the busted piece?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
If I search I find some ages old forum posts about a Virtuoso Precisio from 2009-2012.

How long are these things expected to live for again? The one at work is at least five years old, and I've seen people in this thread talk about espresso machines lasting over a decade, and if you can replace the burrs the grinder itself should have quite a lifespan left right?

TheDarkFlame fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 21, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, it's a virtuoso preciso, probably from 2009-2010 if I had to guess. Still runs & grinds fine :shrug:
Thinking about getting a sette if they hold up over time, but I haven't really been paying close attention lately.

Did hear back from Baratza support and apparently the upper burr & carrier is still the same, so I'll just order that in the meantime.

Re: espresso machine longevity, I've got a manual lever from 1983 that still works like a champ, although I did a complete overhaul maybe 8ish years ago, and do regular maintenance otherwise.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hauki posted:

Re: espresso machine longevity, I've got a manual lever from 1983 that still works like a champ, although I did a complete overhaul maybe 8ish years ago, and do regular maintenance otherwise.

We demand pics.

As for grinders, Baratza has had my grinder for a week and hasn't even acknowledged receiving it. Any tips for a grinder that will last a long time and give good consistency for espresso use? I figure I'm just out the money for my Baratza and the Breville Smart Pro is okay but not great. Should I just get the Eureka Mignion?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Those Sette grinders look super fragile. The regular Baratzas are already built fairly cheaply with plastic everywhere.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey guys,

I got a Capresso ec50 Espresso machine as a gift, and I would like to experiment with making Mocha, but I don't want to spring for a high quality grinder. What is the least poo poo option for buying ground beans? I know I shouldn't buy them that way, but given that I drink ~one cup of coffee a week, I can't justify the cost of a fine grinder.

I'm not trolling, I swear. If I get hooked in the poo poo gear I have, I'll consider upgrading to something more substantial later on.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Drink more coffee to justify it

Failing that, go to a good coffee shop that sells beans and have them grind their beans for you. Tell them how you'll be preparing it so they'll know what grind to use.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

Failing that, go to a good coffee shop that sells beans and have them grind their beans for you. Tell them how you'll be preparing it so they'll know what grind to use.

This sounds like a good idea. I'll give that a try.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey guys,

I got a Capresso ec50 Espresso machine as a gift, and I would like to experiment with making Mocha, but I don't want to spring for a high quality grinder. What is the least poo poo option for buying ground beans? I know I shouldn't buy them that way, but given that I drink ~one cup of coffee a week, I can't justify the cost of a fine grinder.

I'm not trolling, I swear. If I get hooked in the poo poo gear I have, I'll consider upgrading to something more substantial later on.

The Capresso EC50 has a pressurized filter basket, so it's specifically designed not to care too much about grind quality. Any fine-ground coffee will probably work in that machine. Just don't expect miracles from the results. Illy and Lavazza are two commercial brands of ground coffee that claim to be suitable for use with espresso machines, so they'll probably work as well as you can expect given your setup.

The really arch answer that's not really relevant to you is that there is no one proper "espresso grind" and dialing in a good shot requires an expensive grinder with fine adjustments, full stop. However, that advice also presumes you're using a machine with a single-wall filter basket, which is not the case with the EC50. The suggestion to have a shop grind you some beans is fine enough given the circumstances, but again, be prepared for coffee that will quickly taste stale or otherwise "off" (again, probably not so big a deal given that you'll be putting milk and cocoa powder in it).

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

TheJeffers posted:

The Capresso EC50 has a pressurized filter basket, so it's specifically designed not to care too much about grind quality. Any fine-ground coffee will probably work in that machine. Just don't expect miracles from the results. Illy and Lavazza are two commercial brands of ground coffee that claim to be suitable for use with espresso machines, so they'll probably work as well as you can expect given your setup.

The really arch answer that's not really relevant to you is that there is no one proper "espresso grind" and dialing in a good shot requires an expensive grinder with fine adjustments, full stop. However, that advice also presumes you're using a machine with a single-wall filter basket, which is not the case with the EC50. The suggestion to have a shop grind you some beans is fine enough given the circumstances, but again, be prepared for coffee that will quickly taste stale or otherwise "off" (again, probably not so big a deal given that you'll be putting milk and cocoa powder in it).

This should work, thanks.

I tried the machine with some coffee I took from my most recent stay at a Best Western and the result was drinkable - noticeably worse than what I get a work, but not piss either. I'm sure I'll manage to get something tastier with some refinements in beans and coffee/coco/milk ratio.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've been putting off posting this because it's a social problem but maybe you guys can help me come up with a coffee solution. Wife and I both love a good cup of coffee. The problem is she is dead set on having drip coffee in the morning whereas I don't mind using a french press. (I don't have an explanation other than she's always had drip in the morning and can be a bit Rainman about change.) I looked at the Bonavita, too many bad reviews and reviews suggesting it dies after 2 years. Looked at the Technivorm and $300 is a lot of money for a coffeemaker with only very good reviews. Zojirushi has glowing or hating reviews, sign of poor quality control, no thanks. Is that it? Bunn?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

wormil posted:

I've been putting off posting this because it's a social problem but maybe you guys can help me come up with a coffee solution. Wife and I both love a good cup of coffee. The problem is she is dead set on having drip coffee in the morning whereas I don't mind using a french press. (I don't have an explanation other than she's always had drip in the morning and can be a bit Rainman about change.) I looked at the Bonavita, too many bad reviews and reviews suggesting it dies after 2 years. Looked at the Technivorm and $300 is a lot of money for a coffeemaker with only very good reviews. Zojirushi has glowing or hating reviews, sign of poor quality control, no thanks. Is that it? Bunn?

Can't you just get a good kettle and do pour over for her drip style (CCD or Chemex or V60 or whatever) and French press for yourself? Go Wild and just use the same grind for each and enjoy life.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

The Clever is actually really really good, and so simple to do. It would be nice to have a nice drip machine but I don't think it's worth it (that Technivorm is like £200?) unless you have money to throw around or you're often making lots of coffee for people.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
When we met, my wife made coffee with a pour over. She might go for it. I've actually never used one and was under the impression they were fiddly and somewhat a PITA. At her work they use a Keurig and she doesn't complain about it so maybe I give her too much credit. Maybe I should buy her a Keurig for home and be done with it. Nah.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

I bought my brother an OXO Barista Brain 9-cup machine for Christmas last year and he's loved it so far. It's expensive but it does seem to make a darn good cup of coffee with low effort.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Please don't say the word Keurig in this thread

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

We have some Zojirushi stuff we use on the commercial side (mostly pot brewers) and they're good, no complaints. No idea if that applies to their consumer stuff.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I've been getting into Turkish coffee lately. Are there any recommendations for getting that really fine grind?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

oh dang guess what line we are carrying now after some wheeling and dealing at SCA last weekend:

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

wtf is that???

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

That is a beautiful monster of a coffee machine, I would love one of those but it would look so out of place in my completely-devoid-of-class flat, and I'm actually kind of scared to ask what it would cost.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Wachepti posted:

wtf is that???

A Coffee Dalek, obviously.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

oh dang guess what line we are carrying now after some wheeling and dealing at SCA last weekend:

Does that espresso machine have a heckin hood ornament? :stare:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

That eagle brings back serious memories. I think my parents had a brass machine with an eagle on it in the early '80s, but a non lever machine. Maybe something with a single chamber that put steam through coffee in a primitive manner, but nothing fancy and I doubt it had a modern brew group.

If they weren't three feet tall I would have seriously considered a blast from my past, but the rocket fit under my counters.

Grinder talk: I'm pretty sure Baratza customer support hosed me entirely. I sent back the grinder and UPS says they delivered it, it they say it never showed up. I can't get a refund from the place I bought it because I don't have a grinder (broken or otherwise) to return. I know the Breville Smart Grinder Pro isn't really a prosumer grinder. Any recommendations for something along the lines of a Eureka Mignion or Rocket Faust or whatever that won't break immediately and will produce nice even grinds for years to come? I figure I need to be in for at least $500 but could do $1k if needed budget wise.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
I like how that giant machine is entirely gold, except for those two little buttons on the side.

e: not as ugly as this.

beanbrew fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 25, 2017

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wachepti posted:

wtf is that???

It's the Elektra Mini Vertical A1! 2 1/4" feet tall! Surprisingly light at just under 30lbs! Copper and brass clad! Definitely not a nazi eagle on the top!

It actually presents really nicely in person, just oozes charm. We picked up some Micro Casa and Micro Casa SX as well, and the grinder which looks like a re-branded Macap maybe.

The Mini vertical is relatively cheap, I think it's going for around $2500-3000 in the US.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is in the heart
Does anyone make a good, waterproof, 0.1 g sensitivity scale that fits well into a La Marzocco drip tray? Preferably rechargeable but whatever. I'm pretty tired of replacing the scales at work every few weeks because no one seems to be able to keep them dry.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

beanbrew posted:

Does anyone make a good, waterproof, 0.1 g sensitivity scale that fits well into a La Marzocco drip tray? Preferably rechargeable but whatever. I'm pretty tired of replacing the scales at work every few weeks because no one seems to be able to keep them dry.

We use the acaia lunar scales at work, and they're great. Waterproof, and they stand up to being dropped or whatever.

They're pretty expensive though, is the draw back.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is in the heart
Somehow we broke our Lunar with too much water. I should probably just take it apart to air dry.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I unintentionally drove by the Keurig/Green Mountain headquarters today in Vermont on a work trip. I threw up in my mouth a little and promptly gave their sign the finger for everyone.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

This looks like it belongs in a Wes Anderson movie.

I love it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That thing is awesome looking but man do those buttons suck.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Those are the same buttons that are on the (Saeco) Starbucks Barista and they're pretty bullet-proof. Ugly as sin though.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
James Bond is really bad at making coffee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3UQmKiVH9E

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Looks like a La Pav of some kind. Check out that watery crema!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

TheJeffers posted:

The Capresso EC50 has a pressurized filter basket, so it's specifically designed not to care too much about grind quality. Any fine-ground coffee will probably work in that machine. Just don't expect miracles from the results ...

So, I tried it with pre-ground coffee from Trader Joe's (Ground Espresso Blend, Dark roast), and in both instances the result was more bitter than I prefer. I used relatively sweet chocolate for the hot chocolate I was mixing the espresso with, and the bitterness still dominated. I'm assuming that is because I am using pre-ground coffee? If the Espressor machine does not care too much about grind quality, could I get a cheap grinder (Cuisinart DBM 8) and get less bitter results?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

So, I tried it with pre-ground coffee from Trader Joe's (Ground Espresso Blend, Dark roast), and in both instances the result was more bitter than I prefer. I used relatively sweet chocolate for the hot chocolate I was mixing the espresso with, and the bitterness still dominated. I'm assuming that is because I am using pre-ground coffee? If the Espressor machine does not care too much about grind quality, could I get a cheap grinder (Cuisinart DBM 8) and get less bitter results?

Pre ground coffee (assuming you mean it was packaged ground and not that you had it ground for you) is ground to for a drip machine. Even though you have a pressurized portafilter, you still need to be in the right ballpark of grind size to get a decent shot of espresso. Try buying beans that are whole and get them ground for an espresso machine which will be much much finer.