Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Sickening posted:

Set your expectations pretty low. Generally about 40% of whatever tcg low is on your cards that aren't bulk. If some of your stuff is high demand 75% of tcglow.

I haven't done it myself but it was my understanding that GPs were the best time to sell to stores. Obviously better to do it yourself on eBay or some such but still the best convenient option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pontius Pilate posted:

I haven't done it myself but it was my understanding that GPs were the best time to sell to stores. Obviously better to do it yourself on eBay or some such but still the best convenient option.

It usually is better prices than stores, yes.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

Yeah I don't know what GPs Sickening has been ripped off at. Normal GP flip is 50-75% of market.

Bulk rares typically thirteen cents per.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Archenteron posted:

I sided in an enchament exile card to deal with an Oketra
If it's any consolation, at least you didn't do it on camera during a WotC-sponsored promo event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLCOGj3sm50&t=25701s

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Archenteron posted:

The new Gods aren't enchantments.

I sided in an enchament exile card to deal with an Oketra

:negative:

That's why we do our homework.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Kinda underwhelmed with the set myself honestly. Did ok at my Prerelease but probably won't bother going to drafts.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
v:shobon:v Set looks super fun for limited to me.

Went undefeated on the back of double Cat Lords, beating a Gideon and a Liliana in rounds 2 and 3.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
So I am having a hard time understanding Angel of Sanctions rulings.

Angel of Sanctions
3WW
Creature — Angel
3/4
Flying
When Angel of Sanctions enters the battlefield, you may Exile target nonland permanent an opponent controls until Angel of Sanctions leaves the battlefield.
Embalm 5W (5W, Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a white Zombie Angel with no mana cost. Embalm only as a sorcery.)

If Angel of Sanctions leaves the battlefield before its triggered ability resolves, the target permanent won't be Exiled.

This is different from every other O-ring effect, but the text on the card is not. Is this ruling bullshit?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

joats posted:

Angel of Sanctions
3WW
Creature — Angel
3/4
Flying
When Angel of Sanctions enters the battlefield, you may Exile target nonland permanent an opponent controls until Angel of Sanctions leaves the battlefield.
Embalm 5W (5W, Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a white Zombie Angel with no mana cost. Embalm only as a sorcery.)

If Angel of Sanctions leaves the battlefield before its triggered ability resolves, the target permanent won't be Exiled.

This is different from every other O-ring effect, but the text on the card is not. Is this ruling bullshit?

This card, like with cards such as Banisher Priest, uses a fixed version of the effect that doesn't allow shenanigans that you can do with O-Ring or, say, Fiend Hunter. The difference is that the old templating had the effect separated into two clauses whereas the new one has the whole effect contained in the same clause.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

joats posted:

Angel of Sanctions
3WW
Creature — Angel
3/4
Flying

It's not different from Banishing Light, IIRC.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm pretty sure it's the same template and ruling as the new O-Ring, Banishing Light and similar newer cards.

Efb

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Reference:

Judge Ruling 2007-09-30 posted:

If Oblivion Ring leaves the battlefield before its first ability has resolved, its second ability will trigger and do nothing. Then its first ability will resolve and exile the targeted nonland permanent forever.

Judge Ruling 2014-04-25 posted:

If Banishing Light leaves the battlefield before its enters-the-battlefield ability resolves, the target nonland permanent won’t be exiled.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

O-Ring shenanigans work because you target the permanent to RFG it then flicker O-Ring for the leaves play trigger. So the leaves play trigger resolves first, returns nothing, then the comes into play trigger resolves and RFGs the target. And now there's no way to return the original target to play because the O-Ring in play is seen as a different game object than the one that took it out.

Banishing Light is all one trigger, getting rid of the thing until it goes away.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The key is "while it's on the battlefield ". If it's dead when the trigger resolves it's not on the battlefield so the target never exiles.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

It's just me or the limited of this set is way more difficult than usual?

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's just me or the limited of this set is way more difficult than usual?

With cycling, 1-1- targets, and exerting, the games feel far less linear with multiple lines of play. It's the most enjoyable sealed event that I have been a part of.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

TheMaestroso posted:

This card, like with cards such as Banisher Priest, uses a fixed version of the effect that doesn't allow shenanigans that you can do with O-Ring or, say, Fiend Hunter. The difference is that the old templating had the effect separated into two clauses whereas the new one has the whole effect contained in the same clause.

This makes the most sense. Thank you.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

joats posted:

With cycling, 1-1- targets, and exerting, the games feel far less linear with multiple lines of play. It's the most enjoyable sealed event that I have been a part of.

Good to hear.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Shortest Path posted:

The thread title still not being I CAST MOUTH is a huge disappointment smh

Change the title so I can have had one positive contribution to the thread.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Just pulled Gideon, glorybringer, dusk/dawn, insult/injury, and a bunch of the new pacifism plus combat tricks, so boros aggro it is I guess. Fingers crossed I can pilot this to a decent finish.

Also had an archdemon, but my Black pool was a little thin and I don't have enough fixing to attempt three color. C'est la vie.

Went 2-1 with this. The loss was my first match and the deck just durdled, couldn't get online with mana at all. Overall a fun time though, the environment is pretty complex as far as sealed goes. Embalm, exert, and the -1/-1 counters make for lots of interesting interactions. Probably going to hit up another prerelease tomorrow morning and see how my luck holds out.

For some reason our store was Gideon central today, there were 7 or 8 floating around, including a foil and one pair that came in the same pool :psyduck:.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

For some reason our store was Gideon central today, there were 7 or 8 floating around, including a foil and one pair that came in the same pool :psyduck:.

Our opponents in round 1 & 2 both had gideons as well. Fortunately combat tricks got both of them off the board fast.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Gideon is one of the weaker planeswalkers they've made for limited, since he is only really powerful on-curve, and is bad if you're behind at all.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Gideon is one of the weaker planeswalkers they've made for limited, since he is only really powerful on-curve, and is bad if you're behind at all.

His emblem is almost completely useless in Limited, but 3 mana to blank their best creature or swing for 4 every turn is not something any white deck doesn't want. It's nowhere near as bad as e.g. Saheeli was in triple-Kaladesh where the +1 was not something your opponent cared about at all and the -2 was hard to get any lasting value out of. Gideon of the Trials at least affects the battlefield in a significant way. It doesn't feel unbeatable the way some planeswalkers do in Limited, but it's still a fine card.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Ended up with the sphinx that takes two cards to kill, temmet, and the guy who gives tokens vigilance and flying

This set rules

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
2HG was super fun. Had a match where we went down to 3-30 early in the game from aggro and Cut // Ribbons (no I don't know why they didn't wait either), then gradually clogged up the board and removed every threat the opponents had. Game went to time, then in extra turns I managed to discard down to 7 and active Faith Of The Devoted to win (card is totally busted in 2HG).

Every game had some super crazy plays, cycling and graveyard recursion keeps the games really interesting.

I had played with some Sealed generators online, and it looked really hard to build a good deck. But in 2HG you get absolutely insane pools, the archetypes become really strong. I think draft will be sweet too.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I went to Star City Games for the noon pre-release today. Have to say, the worlds biggest magic store was a bit of a let down. The place and the staff and everything was great but pulling up having never been... I was expecting a much bigger place.

Pulled some crazy R/G beatdown stuff. Heart-Piercer Manticore, Glorybringer, Rhonas the Indomitable. Went 2-2, but the two I won were absolute blowouts. The two losses were against the slowest person on the planet who took 35 minutes to beat me the first game and when the second one dragged out to time I got pissed and scooped (though to be fair, he would have won I think). The second loss was a bit closer, went to three games but I stupidly didn't change my deck to add any flyer hate and got swooped in on.

Casting Rhonas on curve is just... disgusting. So is embalming Heart-Piercer Manitcore for the win.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bigperm posted:

I went to Star City Games for the noon pre-release today. Have to say, the worlds biggest magic store was a bit of a let down. The place and the staff and everything was great but pulling up having never been... I was expecting a much bigger place.

yeah lol, it's basically just a warehouse they put a wall thru the middle of. i think maybe they weren't expecting to be so popular or whatever

did you get the experience of having yugioh players come in halfway through your games and being obnoxious, that was always fun when we played there

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah lol, it's basically just a warehouse they put a wall thru the middle of. i think maybe they weren't expecting to be so popular or whatever

did you get the experience of having yugioh players come in halfway through your games and being obnoxious, that was always fun when we played there

Yes. They weren't that obnoxious but there were a lot of sexy anime playmats on that side.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I went to a prerelease today and had a great time. My deck was very good but I still enjoyed playing it,I went with GR exert creatures and only on leave one match and got a bye so my record was 2-2. A friend I went with won the event with BW and a can't lose Gideon. I really like this limited format and I have a lot to learn. It was only my second ever limited event, I hope the standard ends up being good, if not I'll prolly do some drafts on mtgo.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Went 3-0 and split fourth round in a local pre. Put my money where my mouth was and didn't play Sacred Cat maindeck, though did side it in against an aggro deck and had it get Magma Sprayed every time.

Here's what I played, UWb, and all the UW cards I didn't play unsleeved and sideways. Also had the desert that gives a -1/-1 counter but didn't play it because the black splash taxed my mana too hard.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Getting eaTen by magma spray is pretty great value for W!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Apparently someone at one of my LGS opened three Lilianas and a Gideon.

And went 0-2 drop.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

consecrated sphinx syncronizes well with ub cycler

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Beat wrapter one game and 2-0d some guy with Approach of the Second Sun I think I solved the format.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

black potus posted:

Beat wrapter one game and 2-0d some guy with Approach of the Second Sun I think I solved the format.

Did wrapter beat you the other two games?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Got wrecked at pre-release 0-3 - wow these events can be exhausting!

Have to say that some bombs are really hard to deal with and having a vanilla deck that's just on curve doesn't cut it. And probably a million other lessons that I still need to learn :D

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I went 1-2 in a prerelease because nine mountains in your deck means you will never, ever have the two mountains available to cast Glorybringer and Sweltering Sands.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
So far I'm 2-1 with a deck that I thought was garbage (G/B counters) but guess that's a pretty good combo since my only loss came from a mirror matchup where they drew their cartouche of ambition both games and I did not.

Won a game with sandwurm convergence where my opponent was only running fliers, felt good :cool:

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Star Man posted:

I went 1-2 in a prerelease because nine mountains in your deck means you will never, ever have the two mountains available to cast Glorybringer and Sweltering Sands.

I played with 10 mountains and got to cast my glorybringer in all 3 games that I drew him, you were one mountain short.

My deck also sucked though and I lost a lot of games to people on BW, I really think BW was the best in sealed at my LGS, the match I won was GW. The black trial was really good if you had cartouches to bounce it back to you hand. The top 8 there was almost all BW decks and my friends BW deck won the event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
also loving :laffo: at the one hardcore mtgfinance grog that thinks Tarmogoyf is overprinted and would be devastated if the reserved list was abolished. He's only playing in one prerelease, but bought six kits and is ripping them all open and cracking the packs. The guy's an accountant for gently caress's sake.