Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

gret posted:

Notre Jacques dropping some truth bombs: "I think there are two classes of drivers. You're either an Alonso or you're a Rosberg."

"... or a (grimaces) Jacques."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I still maintain that if Lewis hadn't gone to Mercedes he would've had the exact same career trajectory as Are Jacques and would've been just as well regarded as he was.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I still maintain that if Lewis hadn't gone to Mercedes he would've had the exact same career trajectory as Are Jacques and would've been just as well regarded as he was.

This is a terrible opinion, my friend.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't agree.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Everybody forgets how bad he was in 2011.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Everybody forgets how bad he was in 2011.

Probably because he wasn't.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He's never gone a full season without winning a race. Even in 09 when his teammate didn't even get a podium. Even in the same years that his team mate, MIchael Schumacher, had his only seasons without a podium.

Say whatever you want about his personality, but you can't say he's not one of the greatest drivers ever, and lucking onto the dominant team only gives him the stats to back it up.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Powershift posted:

He's never gone a full season without winning a race. Even in 09 when his teammate didn't even get a podium. Even in the same years that his team mate, MIchael Schumacher, had his only seasons without a podium.

Say whatever you want about his personality, but you can't say he's not one of the greatest drivers ever, and lucking onto the dominant team only gives him the stats to back it up.

What the gently caress?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

pik_d posted:

What the gently caress?

ugh, i got my years and drivers mixed up.

I leave it uncorrected to display my shame. :(

e: like a mclaren driver, i'll just blame my tools. This lovely 1440x900 res laptop is limiting my ability to properly compare stats.
e2: wait, isn't lewis the blonde one who retired after only winning once?

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 22, 2017

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Powershift posted:

ugh, i got my years and drivers mixed up.

I leave it uncorrected to display my shame. :(

e: like a mclaren driver, i'll just blame my tools. This lovely 1440x900 res laptop is limiting my ability to properly compare stats.
e3: I should lurk more

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1500quidporsche posted:

Gilles or Jaques?

Powershift posted:

Leave James Hunt out of this

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

If you're seriously suggesting that Lewis Hamilton's 2011 season was anything other than subpar then we are going to have a serious issue here friend.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Gilles or Jaques?

Jacques but I wish it was Gilles.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

If you're seriously suggesting that Lewis Hamilton's 2011 season was anything other than subpar then we are going to have a serious issue here friend.

You didn't say he was subpar, you said he was outright bad, and you said it as part of a conversation in which you bizarrely suggest that the only thing separating Lewis and Villeneuve is Mercedes. In Hamilton's worst year he won three races. In Villeneuve's worst year he got fired because he couldn't keep up with Nick Heidfeld.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

DoctorGonzo posted:

Gilles or Jaques?

Gilles trajectory was about 30 degrees from memory.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lewis wasn't great in 2011 but was tremendous in 2012.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
My favorite Lewis moment was when he got owned by Maldonado at Valencia.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Theophany posted:

Holy poo poo

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Theophany posted:

:golfclap:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Alain Post posted:

Lewis wasn't great in 2011 but was tremendous in 2012.

I think you meant 'Alonso' where you said 'Lewis'.

E: Lewis has legit never had a bad season, but in 2011 and 2012 there were drivers who were better.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 22, 2017

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont understand the Gilles joke

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

DoctorGonzo posted:

Google his death.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

quote:

At the same instant Villeneuve also moved right to pass the slower car. The Ferrari hit the back of Mass' car and was launched into the air at a speed estimated at 200–225 km/h (120–140 mph). It was airborne for more than 100 m before nosediving into the ground and disintegrating as it somersaulted along the edge of the track. Villeneuve, still strapped to his seat, but without his helmet, was thrown a further 50 m from the wreckage into the catch fencing on the outside edge of the Terlamenbocht corner.[34][35]

Several drivers stopped and rushed to the scene. John Watson and Derek Warwick pulled Villeneuve, his face blue, from the catch fence.[36]

This was all recorded by the way. You can literally see him get flung through the air.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

This was all recorded by the way. You can literally see him get flung through the air.

A future Alain Post post, I hope.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

1500quidporsche posted:

This is a bit harsh, I think he would have ended up like Our Jenson or more likely Our Fernando.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wirth1000 posted:

holy gently caress thats grim, at psp you would get reported for that.

To me south africa 77 still is the worst crash in f1 story

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 22, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/zbrownceo/status/855915001386852352

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

A future Alain Post post, I hope.

With that new av, I don't even know who he is anymore :smith:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

"Zak. Can you confirm Fernando is smugger than you?"

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

He's not coming back.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

wicka posted:

Uh yeah, 2011 he lost to Button over the course of the season (first time Hamilton lost to a team mate in F1, but it must be said that Button had an amazing year), kept getting into incidents with Massa and was at one of his peak drama points with Nicole. He was genuinely bad that year.

2013 on the other hand, yeah you would've been right.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Uh yeah, 2011 he lost to Button over the course of the season (first time Hamilton lost to a team mate in F1, but it must be said that Button had an amazing year), kept getting into incidents with Massa and was at one of his peak drama points with Nicole. He was genuinely bad that year.

2013 on the other hand, yeah you would've been right.

He won three loving races...

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Just knowing Fernando is on amarican soil makes me feel warm and fuzzy

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Comparing J. Villeneuve and Lewis isn't fair, and is silly.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

Just knowing Fernando is on amarican soil makes me feel warm and fuzzy

If you hurt him with your loving roundabout racing I'm going to be very angry

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If you want to argue, in a vacuum, that 2011 was Hamilton's worst season, then do that. That's probably true. But attempting to compare it to Villeneuve is idiotic, his worst was so much worse than Hamilton could possibly achieve.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Tony Montana posted:

If you hurt him with your loving roundabout racing I'm going to be very angry

Shut up pussy

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

If you want to argue, in a vacuum, that 2011 was Hamilton's worst season, then do that. That's probably true. But attempting to compare it to Villeneuve is idiotic, his worst was so much worse than Hamilton could possibly achieve.

This may come as a shock to you, but I use a tiny bit of hyperbole when I post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

wicka posted:

He won three loving races...

I forgot that, so point. OTOH he was still nearly 75 points behind Button, and 50ish behind if you give him 25 points to compensate for his 3 retirements to Button's 2. He was 5th in the WDC behind his team mate, Alonso and Mark Webber.

• Locked thread