Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Friday the 13th the game is marching toward release, likely in the next month or so. Beta was quite fun and you should check it out if you like the franchise or fun multiplayer games.

Started a thread on it here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817247

edit: catte tax:

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Bendy and the Ink Machine seems kind of cool to me. At least it's trying its own thing, with a sepia, retro-Disney aesthetic. And I cannot get either of the songs made around/for it out of my head :negative:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
At $6 a pop for 15 minutes of gameplay per episode, I'm not sure it's worth it atm though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, fair. First ep's Name-Your-Price, though, so it's a nice taste of atmosphere if nothing else.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
You think there could be a good horror game made about having to rely on a dangerous ally to survive a horrible situation? Because I've always wondered if you could take aspects of Child's Play and make it so you weren't sure one killer doll/slasher is trying to get you killed while ironically being the only help you get in some nightmare estate full of other monsters and psychos. Playing on the whole deal that some horror characters sort of steal the show of a franchise and wondering if you could make a nearly powerless player put their hopes in an obvious threat that hasn't potentially killed them yet to survive immediate honest ones.

Baring that, a good Chucky game that isn't this iOS piece of poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's a shame Alien Isolation wasn't the breakout Call of Duty hit Sega was expecting because tossing Predator in there seems like the ideal next step. Predator is even that dangerous unpredictable ally that doesn't hunt the powerless but you need weapons to stave off the xenomorphs.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

didn't it do really well? Were Sega being dumb about sales figure expectations?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It sold like 2 mil, Sega were just being dumb, especially since it was coming of the back of Colonial Marines.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

didn't it do really well? Were Sega being dumb about sales figure expectations?

Based on interviews it effectively broke even. Maybe it would've done better if Colonial Marines didn't poison the franchise a year earlier.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

al-azad posted:

It's a shame Alien Isolation wasn't the breakout Call of Duty hit Sega was expecting because tossing Predator in there seems like the ideal next step. Predator is even that dangerous unpredictable ally that doesn't hunt the powerless but you need weapons to stave off the xenomorphs.

I think a Predator game using the Shadow of Mordor engine would be better.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Predator: Concrete Jungle 2 would be the loving bomb

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Holy poo poo I forgot about that game

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Friday the 13th the game is marching toward release, likely in the next month or so. Beta was quite fun and you should check it out if you like the franchise or fun multiplayer games.

Started a thread on it here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817247

edit: catte tax:

I'm looking forward to this a lot. Also thank you for the cat pic

Question about Bendy and the Ink Machine, is it a FNAF ripoff ala screaming faces jumping at you or is there subtlety?

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 21, 2017

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Predator Concrete Jungle is one of my favorite guilty pleasure games, loving around in it was really satisfying.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm looking forward to this a lot. Also thank you for the cat pic

Question about Bendy and the Ink Machine, is it a FNAF ripoff ala screaming faces jumping at you or is there subtlety?

I've watched some YouTube videos. It's closer to the subtlety. It's not as scary as most horror games, just a few kind of jump scares by having something move in the background or appear somewhere but not screaming in your face.

I think it has 3 episodes to go so it's building up.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ineffiable posted:

I've watched some YouTube videos. It's closer to the subtlety. It's not as scary as most horror games, just a few kind of jump scares by having something move in the background or appear somewhere but not screaming in your face.

I think it has 3 episodes to go so it's building up.

That sounds great, definitely checking it out. I haven't ever liked the 'easy scares', for lack of a better term, that FNAF is known for.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's closer to Machine For Pigs than FNAF. Some horror in the kinda 'what the hell is going on here' way.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Or silent Hill shattered memories. Mostly walking around and looking and notes and stuff and the occasional running away.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I don't get the workplace of Bendy. It already looks like you're in a cartoon. Is this already a cartoon world where cartoon people draw cartoons? Are the offices where they work made to look like that, kinda like Disney World? Has the evil ink transformed the place into a cartoon? The protag doesn't seem to have anything to say about it.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Flubby posted:

I don't get the workplace of Bendy. It already looks like you're in a cartoon. Is this already a cartoon world where cartoon people draw cartoons? Are the offices where they work made to look like that, kinda like Disney World? Has the evil ink transformed the place into a cartoon? The protag doesn't seem to have anything to say about it.

This is bothering me too. If the world looks cartoony then how can the player know what's meant to be everyday office environment and what's part of the in-universe cartoon? I'd like to see some actual cartoon clips as well, even if it's just a walk cycle.

Regarding the second episode, I don't like the appearance of Bendy and Boris for the reason above. If it's meant to be freaky that a cartoon came alive, it doesn't work if the environment is already from a cartoon. There's no contrast between them so it's just the stilted reaction of the protag telling you that this is a scary/unusual thing.

Bendy is a disappointing design. I was hoping for something more 'unfinished' and fluid flopping around and instead it's just a guy.

I know I'm being kind of harsh on a game that isn't completed yet but I'm not getting the hype around it. Other than the art style it's not doing anything different.

At least FNAF was a finished game when it blew up :v:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jukebox Hero posted:

Predator: Concrete Jungle 2 would be the loving bomb

I'd go and preorder that poo poo right now if it happened.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Friday the 13th comes out May 26th.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm very very tempted by the PS4 version of that, and multiplayer stuff isn't usually my thing. Something about the footage really appeals though - as if they have the stalker/stalkee horror relationship done almost perfectly.

Also, I finally found a cheap copy of Resi 7. Is it worth diving in at the highest difficulty, or does that just make it a frustrating experience?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

From what I understand, do normal and you'll get some equipment that lets you speedrun the game on easy as well as giving you a fighting chance for harder.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm very very tempted by the PS4 version of that, and multiplayer stuff isn't usually my thing. Something about the footage really appeals though - as if they have the stalker/stalkee horror relationship done almost perfectly.

Also, I finally found a cheap copy of Resi 7. Is it worth diving in at the highest difficulty, or does that just make it a frustrating experience?

Any serious gamer automatically plays on hard and you even asking this question makes me doubt you

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It doesn't exist as a difficulty. More like...Oldhardless. :smug:

But naw, I misunderstood Madhouse a bit and figured it was a first time difficulty. I'll just slap it on normal and leave MH for NG+. Cheers, guys.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Always play on normal. If the devs trusted you to enjoy hard they would just make normal hard. See God Hand which has two difficulties: easy baby casual mode and normal. You have to prove yourself on normal to enjoy it on hard.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

Always play on normal. If the devs trusted you to enjoy hard they would just make normal hard. See God Hand which has two difficulties: easy baby casual mode and normal. You have to prove yourself on normal to enjoy it on hard.

But if you don't go right to hard how can you hop into a thread and bitch the game is too hard?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This is why I hate difficulty selections without clear explanations for what's changed. If I slap it on Hard in survival horror I'm expecting more than just super hard hitting enemies, wah.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I figure Outlast 2 is a big enough release we'd want to avoid cluttering up this thread, especially with Little Nightmares coming out at almost the same time. So I made a thread.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I play every game on hard because I'm not scared of a challenge.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
REmake pissed me off because it didn't have clear labeling of difficulty, so I ended up playing through on easy, which of course wasn't very terrifying.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Survival horror games are hard to pick the difficulty on. Is it Hard as in "You won't be loaded down with more ammo than you can carry by the second act"? Or is it Hard as in "I hope you already know where the Shotgun is so that you can sprint for it right out of the gate before you die"?

I might be a wimp but I like it when survival horror games only have one difficulty because then I don't have to feel guilty about collecting sixteen grenades at a time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I do think that the RE4 dynamic system is pretty excellent. Playing well? Then you'll get less resources to promote some sort of scarcity. If you're doing poorly, then you might get a little nudge in the right direction, since scary becomes much less scary when you spent an hour stabbing El Gigante in the leg because you ran out of shots. :v:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Both RE4 and Dead Space rewarded you if you ran with only a single weapon. Mine-Dart Launcher/Contact Beam only runs, yo,

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That's part of the fun of it, though! "I'm nearly out of pistol shots, but I have a TON of rifle rounds. Guess I'm going to be noscoping all these goddamn cultists for a bit."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I ran through RE4 with a single weapon, it wasn't a big deal.

I mean, it was the infinite rocket launcher, but that is still a single weapon.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I like Bendy a lot, its a cool game, but $6 bucks for around 20 minutes of gameplay is pretty awful, and if all the other chapters are like that i will probably wait for a sale or something

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

boy are my arms tired posted:

I like Bendy a lot, its a cool game, but $6 bucks for around 20 minutes of gameplay is pretty awful, and if all the other chapters are like that i will probably wait for a sale or something

It's really about the art design. Watch a YouTube video you'll honestly get as much enjoyment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I know everyone out there was clamoring for an HD re-release of Night Trap, right? Well it seems that it is happening: http://www.screamingvillains.com/

Hopefully that means we'll soon be seeing Ground Zero Texas and Corpse Killer.