Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Brb locating a Dornier Do 32 to take a selfie with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I do have an aviation museum in my home town, but most the stuff is prop planes and the few jets they have aren't in the game database.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Best pics I've got are the X-32 :(

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Hmm its not got a whole lot but the Sunderland Air Museum has that rustic run down look to it. Will grab some photos either tomorrow or maybe Monday. How do we do this photo stuff Yooper just post in character in the thread, send them by PM or something else?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
If only I lived in a country with an air museum, I'd go there and take pictures of literally anything.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

i live near the Nation Air and Space museum i will pay a visit to their hanger and take pictures later this week

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So, it seems to me that at present we have an advantage we can leverage against the dictator: he needs the lithium shipments to get through. This means that if we start threatening those with our ground attack birds, we can force his air force to come out and play at a time and place of our choosing.

It also gives us a way to use cluster bombs without as many humanitarian issues; if we're dropping them all along a stretch of highway, we know where they are for post-war cleanup, and they're much less likely to have civilians accidentally stumbling across them.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

The Sandman posted:

So, it seems to me that at present we have an advantage we can leverage against the dictator: he needs the lithium shipments to get through. This means that if we start threatening those with our ground attack birds, we can force his air force to come out and play at a time and place of our choosing.

It also gives us a way to use cluster bombs without as many humanitarian issues; if we're dropping them all along a stretch of highway, we know where they are for post-war cleanup, and they're much less likely to have civilians accidentally stumbling across them.

:what:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I live 45 minutes away from Kennedy Space Center, what cost do you think Yooper would set a Saturn V at?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Well, it's obvious where they are. Aside from being easier to clean up, it's easier for people to avoid the dangerous stretch of roadway and figure out workarounds while it's still unsafe. The problem with cluster munitions in general is that they're not possible to avoid because they're scattered indiscriminately and there's no way of knowing exactly where they are until people start blowing up.

Think of it like the difference between a marked and unmarked minefield. Only more so.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Yeah, unless we're prepared to buy the land and fence it off indefinitely, we shouldn't drop cluster ammunition anywhere. Even the use in Lhasa was questionable, but that airfield had to be shut down quickly and for a long term.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Sunderland museum visit will have to wait till Friday I thought it was free entry but it turns out that ain't so. Payday will be visit day.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Added Space posted:

Yeah, unless we're prepared to buy the land and fence it off indefinitely, we shouldn't drop cluster ammunition anywhere. Even the use in Lhasa was questionable, but that airfield had to be shut down quickly and for a long term.

We're mercenaries. If we wanted to be ethical, we're in the wrong profession.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Quinntan posted:

We're mercenaries. If we wanted to be ethical, we're in the wrong profession.

It's not so much ethical as pragmatic. Until we bribe some big-name politicians to bury any scandals we shouldn't get a reputation for indiscriminate killing of civilians.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 22, 2017

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

More pragmatically, cluster bombs/dumb bombs require planes to fly low to hit targets. 2000lb Laser guided ones can be dropped from 40k feet :science:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Yooper posted:

There's precedence for mercenaries taking over African countries. Unfortunately it doesn't end terribly well for anyone involved. If I can think of an entertaining way for us to have a "friendly" government we could roll with that. But I'd rather go as we have been and let the nation building part play out in the background, if at all.

I'll definitely let the plans get revised as you guys see fit. There won't be any new intel. The mission is built, I finished Rohan goes crazy script. The scenario just needs a bit of polishing up now.

Triple A posted:

You mean doing what China already has been doing with Africa for the last 30 years?

Yes, like turning it over to a friendly government, but with the company running part of or all of the military and law enforcement, letting it play out in the background of the story, collecting a cut for the services provided.

Keep collecting rent.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 22, 2017

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
I'd rather leave nationing to the nations and not get bogged down playing pig in a west african hellhole.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Being paid to commit warcrimes blow things up sounds better than having to manage a nation.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Ah well. Something about fissile materials? Is the company really planning to build nukes~?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Added Space posted:

It's not so much ethical as pragmatic. Until we bribe some big-name politicians to bury any scandals we shouldn't get a reputation for indiscriminate killing of civilians.

Man, I feel sorry as I write this out, but it's Africa and unfortunately the world doesn't care about bloodshed in Africa. The continent has suffered countless atrocities with nary a moment's consideration from the rest of the world. I mean, I literally just found out, while writing this post, that there's two civil wars in Sudan, and that there's civil war in South Sudan. We live in a media environment that cares more about the Kardashans than about genuine human misery and suffering in some of the most impoverished countries of the world. Sadly, I doubt that us dropping bombs randomly on an orphanage or something would get much attention. Wr wouldn't need to bury that story, because after all, there's celebrity gossip to blather on about.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

To add to that , there is also currently both a chaotic civil war and an active vengeance campaign going on in Asia right this very moment. I'm not sure anything you guys would do would even be a blip on the radar.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Added Space posted:

Mr Crustacean posted:

More pragmatically, cluster bombs/dumb bombs require planes to fly low to hit targets. 2000lb Laser guided ones can be dropped from 40k feet :science:

I'd also like to add, from an OOC standpoint, that I've occasionally seen some bugs in deploying cluster munitions in other scenarios (including the air training tutorial!) where they simply...don't do any damage, even to targets that they can theoretically hit. It's better all around if we avoid their use if at all possible.

We may be mercenaries, but as fighter pilots, we inherit the traditions of the knights of yore. (I'm serious, Gen. Billy Mitchell made that comparison). We should therefore hold ourselves to high standards.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Davin Valkri posted:

We may be mercenaries, but as fighter pilots, we inherit the traditions of the knights of yore. (I'm serious, Gen. Billy Mitchell made that comparison). We should therefore hold ourselves to high standards.
What type of Ace are you Kinght, Soldier or Mercenary?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just want to point out that the noble, honorable commander guy in the beginning of Strike Commander managed to back the wrong side in a civil war, almost not get paid, couldn't stop his soldiers shooting down a jet they weren't paid to shoot down (which got his squadron retaliated against), then proceeded to declare his noble intention to help a dictator unite South America (solely because the guy's enemies had tried to kill him a couple times) and didn't bat an eyelash at being offered a suspiciously huge payout for an easy mission.

I imagine he was also surprised when he was betrayed and killed by said dictator. Hold yourself to a high standard for pragmatic and business reasons, but don't be a stupid bastard like Commander Stern.

E: Also if we're going to be Strike: The Commandering we really need a sassy accountant.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Are there cluster offsets like there are carbon offsets? Can we spend an equivalent amount of money as we paid for our cluster bombs to have somebody with an air force promise not to drop that many cluster bombs?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Night10194 posted:

E: Also if we're going to be Strike: The Commandering we really need a sassy accountant.

We have Herbert Kornfeld.

His articles are here, and quite hilarious.

http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/keep-your-loving-poo poo-off-my-desk-16508

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who loved those articles.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yooper posted:

We have Herbert Kornfeld.

His articles are here, and quite hilarious.

http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/keep-your-loving-poo poo-off-my-desk-16508

Thank christ, this is perfect.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Davin Valkri posted:

The knights of yore were a bunch of inbred thugs in plate armor.

Now I don't have a problem in abstaining from cluster munitions in a human vs. human conflict. But I hope that when the time comes, in the Bering Strait, when it comes down to cluster bombing a harbor to save the whales, you'll all make the right choice.

You guys make such a big deal about Rohan like she's a crazy person just cause she's a little disgruntled from the whole China affair. You know that I would level every tuna cannery in the world to save one dolphin, right? And I'm probably not even the most depraved pilot hanging around here.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cathode Raymond posted:

The knights of yore were a bunch of inbred thugs in plate armor.

Now I don't have a problem in abstaining from cluster munitions in a human vs. human conflict. But I hope that when the time comes, in the Bering Strait, when it comes down to cluster bombing a harbor to save the whales, you'll all make the right choice.

You guys make such a big deal about Rohan like she's a crazy person just cause she's a little disgruntled from the whole China affair. You know that I would level every tuna cannery in the world to save one dolphin, right? And I'm probably not even the most depraved pilot hanging around here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IUxK_0WLbg

Gotta nuke somethin'!.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Wanna see what one of our AShMs does to a whale

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
I don't know about you guys but my reason to join was to fly this aerocynamic Delilah. Its canard wings and meteor rockets. Its clear curving cockpit cover, the whirling of dials and needles.
And the uniform! The illustrious uniform of the Hayard Gunnes. The click of the heels in salute, the flare of the jacket, the wide, long-skirted hang of it, and oh, the low shiny peak of the cap.
For the danger, and the glory of death. To set forth in a silver lance too joust with the forces of darkness. To die for one's country. A young and dashing life gone up in flames. Blonde maidens weeping.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Herbert Kornfield is my spirit animal.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Launch time! Here we go! Time to meet these bastards in the air.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I just watched the last episode Black Mirror, can we get us some of those bees???

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
@AwesomeLeader69's first listed follower has a Pepe avatar. Classic.

Can't wait to see his tweets when we bomb his palace.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Cathode Raymond posted:

@AwesomeLeader69's first listed follower has a Pepe avatar. Classic.

Can't wait to see his tweets when we bomb his palace.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Not going to lie, we definitely picked the right side, if only to see these amazing tweets and Reddit threads while maintaining a smug sense of moral superiority.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Yooper, did you plan the dictator's personality before or after we chose a side? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Yooper posted:

Launch time! Here we go! Time to meet these bastards in the air.

Gentlemen, Operation First Impressions is a go!

Here is your briefing. We are wheels up in 30 minutes.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 23, 2017