Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Hihohe posted:

Still waiting for my square bases though TtErrible

Sometimes you have to have a little fun :ssh:

Ayn Marx posted:

You're really enjoying this aren't you!

Given the poo poo anyone who expressed concern about 40k end times, rule invalidation, Age of the Emperor or the veracity of that marine 2.0 leak got I feel pretty good yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TTerrible posted:

I care because people were so loving smug about it being a conversion and the death thread were goddamn idiots for falling for an obvious conversion.

Be fair, the Death Thread is idiots. I checked, they're still comparing this to Age of Sigmar

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So what's the deal with the new space marine? Do I need to replace all my space marines now is that why everyone is going crazy?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Be fair, the Death Thread is idiots. I checked, they're still comparing this to Age of Sigmar

If you stil think that comparison is unwarranted I don't know what to say.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

JBP posted:

So what's the deal with the new space marine? Do I need to replace all my space marines now is that why everyone is going crazy?

It looks like they're coming out with a new Tac Marine box. They're standing up straighter, and the armor is slightly different.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JBP posted:

Nah, its fine. Your marines are fine. There is a possible issue though, if GW makes the new tacticals dramatically different looking than the old ones in pose and scale, then having a half-and-half army would look odd, or having an old army fight against a new army would make the old army look puny by comparison.

Buuuuut that's kinda the case for any time they update the models. Lots of old models look pretty funky compared to the current range. (Though of course there's a lot of beloved out of print models as well)

The thing is the rest of 40k has been updated to a slightly larger scale and different poses, so its really just the SM and CSM tacticals that are left behind. This is just updating them to be in-line with everything else. They look like the CSM chosen.

And the last 40k starter even avoided including any CSM tacticals at all because of how old they are, and instead had a ton of cultists. Creating a new tactical marine based on the chosen designs (which are pretty rad) for SMs and CSMs is pretty much the obvious necessary thing to do, especially if they're going to do a SM vs CSM starter box.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 23, 2017

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Lmao yeah

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I want my updated aspect warriors. Everything but the dire avengers look so silly. Ok, well, more silly.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TTerrible posted:

If you stil think that comparison is unwarranted I don't know what to say.

On the one hand, they didn't blow up the universe, all of the existing armies are represented, there's no evidence of a new faction, they didn't blow up the universe, everybody is still on round bases, there's no evidence that they're making a wild change in gameplay comparable to abandoning ranked formations, and they didn't blow up the universe.

But, on the other hand, there's a new tac marine box, Mechanicus is one faction instead of two, and it looks like they aren't doing super expensive codexes or supplements any more.

Do you have nothing to say because you agree with me that the comparison is unwarranted?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Safety Factor posted:

I fully expect 30k to stay with 7th edition rules until the next round of red books. They have that system in place so they can easily update everything. Whether it'll be quick is another matter entirely.

The existing black books won't be touched, of course, but they're mainly for fluff and pretty pictures. The books going forward will be written with 8th in mind, but I just hope they've been caught in time to get Angelus under the right edition.

This just seems like wishful thinking. Theyve released plastic hh marines, gw original is the captain now

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

TTerrible posted:

I'd like to make an open apology to the 40k thread for insisting for months that GW were releasing end times books that would be completely invalidated by a new edition. I'd also like to offer my sincereand unironic thanks for not making GBS threads on me too hard when I claimed that new marine 2.0 leak was completely real and not a conversion. I can't believe I've spent months shitposting and drawing parallels to the Fantasy end times where none clearly existed.

It's hard to admit being so wrong for so long.

lmao

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
The Kickstarter terrain kit came with two bunkers and I definitely didn't need both of them, so I combined one with some leftover bits I had to make a Mechanicus building for a friend. Fun process, and I think it turned out well.

The process:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The new marines look bad rear end. I can’t believe it’s taken them this long to no longer make everything as squatting manlets.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

On the one hand, they didn't blow up the universe

Multiple primarches are returning to the Imperium. Roboute had an audience with the Emperor and declared Great Crusade 2.0 - they are clearly making huge changes. No one knows how far those are going to go.

Guy Goodbody posted:

all of the existing armies are represented

"They didn't squat anything yet" a good defence.

Guy Goodbody posted:

there's no evidence of a new faction,

What?

quote:

everybody is still on round bases

The 40k square bases was a joke :ssh:

Guy Goodbody posted:

there's no evidence that they're making a wild change in gameplay comparable to abandoning ranked formations

What? They haven't made a change this big since third edition was released in 1998. Nineteen years ago.

Guy Goodbody posted:

But, on the other hand, there's a new tac marine box

Citation needed. You have no idea what these new marines are. Don't down play them as a tactical squad till you know what they are.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Mechanicus is one faction instead of two, and it looks like they aren't doing super expensive codexes or supplements any more.

...I don't dispute this? Mechanicus and Skitarri are listed under the same category on the website. That means everything is ok? What?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Do you have nothing to say because you agree with me that the comparison is unwarranted?

What

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

He means the new marines. The less-believable part of the rumor was that the new marines would be a separate faction and existing marine armies would just be left to die on the vine. That doesn't appear to be the case, given that the photos we have are these guys being painted up as Ultramarines. Either a tac box or a new unit seem like the most likely outcomes but hey if they aren't, you'll get to do this again!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

He means the new marines. The less-believable part of the rumor was that the new marines would be a separate faction and existing marine armies would just be left to die on the vine. That doesn't appear to be the case, given that the photos we have are these guys being painted up as Ultramarines. Either a tac box or a new unit seem like the most likely outcomes but hey if they aren't, you'll get to do this again!

Oh yeah the new marines probably aren't a new faction. I was never massively wed to them being a new faction or a replacement really. I just knew they were real when the local regional manager insisted our LGS take it off the facebook page. That didn't mean anything in here though :v:

lets not get ahead of ourselves and say things we aren't completely sure of like "they're just a new tactical squad" though eh? They could be! They could also not be! Unless you have information or a leak about it, best not.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TTerrible posted:

Oh yeah the new marines probably aren't a new faction. I was never massively wed to them being a new faction or a replacement really. I just knew they were real when the local regional manager insisted our LGS take it off the facebook page. That didn't mean anything in here though :v:

lets not get ahead of ourselves and say things we aren't completely sure of like "they're just a new tactical squad" though eh? They could be! They could also not be! Unless you have information or a leak about it, best not.

Oh yeah, that's totally fair. I think saying they're a new tac box is definitely premature.

I also didn't know your local manager had you take poo poo down. All I saw was people insisting some random rumor person was absolutely 100% accurate 100% of the time about this new faction making marine armies obsolete.

I don't agree that this is a parallel of Sigmar though, if only because Age of Sigmar came out of nowhere and people have been expecting 40k 8th edition for months (in part because of Age of Sigmar), and with a complete reworking of the universe and factions. Comparatively, this doesn't do away with the universe, doesn't appear to be removing any factions, and really looks more like the move from 2nd edition to 3rd*, which was a big change, but 7th edition 40k rules are bad and the game needs to be reworked badly.

*my big concern is that we'll move in the wrong direction with regard to this, but hopefully it'll just mean adding movement stats and not taking anything else from 2nd edition

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Oh yeah, that's totally fair. I think saying they're a new tac box is definitely premature.

I also didn't know your local manager had you take poo poo down. All I saw was people insisting some random rumor person was absolutely 100% accurate 100% of the time about this new faction making marine armies obsolete.

I don't agree that this is a parallel of Sigmar though, if only because Age of Sigmar came out of nowhere and people have been expecting 40k 8th edition for months (in part because of Age of Sigmar), and with a complete reworking of the universe and factions. Comparatively, this doesn't do away with the universe, doesn't appear to be removing any factions, and really looks more like the move from 2nd edition to 3rd*, which was a big change, but 7th edition 40k rules are bad and the game needs to be reworked badly.

*my big concern is that we'll move in the wrong direction with regard to this, but hopefully it'll just mean adding movement stats and not taking anything else from 2nd edition

Yeah, my gaming group were having a discussion about it and were asked to take it down. I did post it to the thread but it was ignored because someone totally saw some green stuff.

I agree that that 8th isn't a total blindside like AoS was, precisely because we're all on edge after AoS. My honest personal belief is that GW did originally plan to give Fantasy and 40k the exact same treatment but after the horrendous reception AoS got they did an emergency rework. They couldn't throw all the creative work in the trash that had multiple years of lead up and significant financial investment so they're repurposing it. We have had multiple large models and major fluff upheavel (if not apocalyptic like Fantasy) spread across a few books - exactly like end times. The new marines 2.0 kits were probably 40ks sigmarine-esque reboot but are now going to be a faction / elite unit / something rather than a straight swap for a tac squad.

tl;dr they've pumped the brakes, toned it down and this is what we're getting.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
If you don't think is comparable to AoS boom word then nothing will get through minus Guilliman exiting the throne room skeleton emporer head in hand.

Bunch of big models, splat books, then ho ho they don't work in this brand new exition best but some war scrolls. Yes stuff at first was free but then to get rules for any new models you had to buy those or the models they came with, I could be wrong I dumped my lizards after they began googling along side furry foot tickling fetish pictures.

An so much for full support for fantasy armies, this is why people don't trust what this company says or does.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The "This is new GW" thing is doubly hilarious becaose of that ^

"LOL we totally lied to you constantly before, we're different now. isn't it funny ha ha. No refunds on end times books. I am calling security."

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
If you have to buy books later that's still better than having to buy a brand new codex out of the gate imo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The new GW is meant to be a nudge nudge wink wink joke but it reads to me more like "we are just going to do more stupid poo poo in a new box so hang the gently caress on".

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's obvious that this is not identical to AoS, but it's goddamn close so anyone saying that we can't compare the two is being willfully dense.

For_Great_Justice posted:

If you don't think is comparable to AoS boom word then nothing will get through minus Guilliman exiting the throne room skeleton emporer head in hand.

Bunch of big models, splat books, then ho ho they don't work in this brand new exition best but some war scrolls. Yes stuff at first was free but then to get rules for any new models you had to buy those or the models they came with, I could be wrong I dumped my lizards after they began googling along side furry foot tickling fetish pictures.

An so much for full support for fantasy armies, this is why people don't trust what this company says or does.
Those furry tickle fetish pictures are still there when you google Seraphon. It's still loving hilarious even after all this time. They couldn't have done even the most cursory of research. I wish I had shifted my WHFB armies when I had the chance.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TTerrible posted:

Multiple primarches are returning to the Imperium. Roboute had an audience with the Emperor and declared Great Crusade 2.0 - they are clearly making huge changes. No one knows how far those are going to go.

That's the universe still existing! Yes, stuff has changed. But guess what, Guilliman has been in a stasis box in the fluff for decades, this is not as crazy as the universe literally ending

That was part of 7th edition! It's just a few new models and a new way to play Eldar, it exists already, it's completely different from something as new as Sigmarines, they are not comparable, you are being incredibly disingenuous.

TTerrible posted:

The 40k square bases was a joke :ssh:

It was a comparison to Age of Sigmar, when they changed from square bases to round bases. The point is, they aren't making that kind of change. Do you have a brain problem? Can you not think good?

TTerrible posted:

Citation needed. You have no idea what these new marines are. Don't down play them as a tactical squad till you know what they are.

They've got the goddamn Tactical arrow on their shoulder. They literally have "tac marine" painted on them. They're tac marines.

TTerrible posted:

...I don't dispute this? Mechanicus and Skitarri are listed under the same category on the website. That means everything is ok? What?

Yes, when that is one of the biggest changes yet revealed about 8th edition, that does mean that things aren't at Age of Sigmar level.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Can anyone really honestly say that making all preexisting rules (or, more to the point, Formations) incompatible with the new edition is a bad thing?
I'd been kinda hoping they'd do something like that because of the amount of crap that's built up, and having seen how much quicker and more straightforward AoS is to play than wait-let-me-look-up-the-specifics-of-that-in-the-rules-grimoire of current 40k

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Kickstarter terrain kit came with two bunkers and I definitely didn't need both of them, so I combined one with some leftover bits I had to make a Mechanicus building for a friend. Fun process, and I think it turned out well.

The process:

Ok that is badass looking, nice job!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I still don't know how assault works and just make it up as I go.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the rumor wasn't that "all marines are now new marines" there was a big part of it that was guillman had created marines 2.0 and distributed them to the chapters

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

AoS is still that. Every model has a list of what it does which is different from everything else. There is no simple shield its a blood shield or a chaos shield or a blood flail or a noun thing. Its still a pile of rules nothing was simplified. An let us never forget the invisible horse holy poo poo.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

RagnarokAngel posted:

I want my updated aspect warriors. Everything but the dire avengers look so silly. Ok, well, more silly.

Look at all the bad opinions ITT. It is bonkers how good the Eldar Aspect Warriors hold up with being ancient sculpts. Not that I wouldn't love a plastic kit.

I am excited that I may be able to play my Eldar at my local game store once the new rules come out. The are broken as poo poo now, and it is awful.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

For_Great_Justice posted:

AoS is still that. Every model has a list of what it does which is different from everything else. There is no simple shield its a blood shield or a chaos shield or a blood flail or a noun thing. Its still a pile of rules nothing was simplified. An let us never forget the invisible horse holy poo poo.

Aren't there something like 9 different shield rules spread across 20 different shield types

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Look at all the bad opinions ITT. It is bonkers how good the Eldar Aspect Warriors hold up with being ancient sculpts. Not that I wouldn't love a plastic kit.

I am excited that I may be able to play my Eldar at my local game store once the new rules come out. The are broken as poo poo now, and it is awful.

Yeah I think the current aspect warriors are sick sculpts.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

Aren't there something like 9 different shield rules spread across 20 different shield types
I think it's more like 30 different rules across like 50 types. It's bonkers.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Black_Nexus posted:

Ok that is badass looking, nice job!

Thanks! We're in the middle of a campaign I've posted about a few times and I thought it would be cool to do some games of 40k/Killteam/SW:A around players' bases of operations. One of our guys is an AdMech player who doesn't have a lot of terrain for his table yet, so I'm helping him out by making something he can use as his base, and use as terrain otherwise. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Could have been larger, but that's pretty much what I had the spare parts sitting around to make.

I've also got a shitload of SW:A terrain sitting around that I'm planning to pair up with some more Manufactorum terrain to make an industrial complex for games of SWA. That's kind of a big project too, so I'll post some of that as I start working on it (probably after I paint up my DoW base terrain.

e: Also combining MDF and plastic is kind of a big pain in the rear end. I wouldn't recommend it, generally.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 23, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol check out the Games Workshop site

"We aren't blowing up the setting, OK?!?!"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That image being used as the new edition logo really makes me think the starter set will be ultramarines vs. the new Deathguard models that were leaked.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That image being used as the new edition logo really makes me think the starter set will be ultramarines vs. the new Deathguard models that were leaked.

I hope so. The Death Guard preview looked rad as gently caress

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

This is great :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

At this point not blowing up the setting is the minimum that should be required and any praise for them not blowing it to poo poo is loving dumb.

The pattern from AoS was released big name characters, release 50+ dollar books, end edition everything you bought is usable in some sense but its rules on release not worth anything. Same pattern same GW.

I'd like to not worry about the night lord raptor talon formation I built up be able to deep strike an idiot charge but probably it'll be invalid most likely. An according to all sources it was a fantastic time to buy in, no worries chummer.

Yeah I'm a little not happy. I was going to get into a EC Kakophoni but no reason to now. An gently caress if they remove Slaanesh I wouldn't ve surprised even with it being key to the entire EC an Fulgrim and all Eldar.

• Locked thread