Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/RoseAnnDeMoro/status/855484151251607552

Diane Feinstein is actually worse than Republicans.

At least they're honest and up front with their lovely obstructionist policies. The Dems just hide behind mealy mouthed excuses, blame republicans for inaction/lovely compromises and keep getting elected in favor of actual progressives.

The old MLK Jr. "White moderate" comment really belongs here.
it's pretty disgusting that Feinstein is straight up lying about what single payer or Medicare-for-all means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

feinstein has been a craven opportunist long before she became senator

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

I know it's a little :biotruths:, but one day we will all just have to wake up and acknowledge that black people are weak to wind damage.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/855538682488438784

get that OUT of my face posted:

feinstein has been a craven opportunist long before she became senator

When I was growing up a right winger? I thought people like Feinstein, Boxer, Schumer, Pelosi and Reid were far left whackos what hated freedom.

Turns out I was -not- wrong in not liking them, but for different reasons.

e: I also remember hearing right wingers hating David Brock. Turns out they weren't -wrong- in hating but for different reasons.

FuzzySkinner has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Apr 22, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FuzzySkinner posted:

When I was growing up a right winger? I thought people like Feinstein, Boxer, Schumer, Pelosi and Reid were far left whackos what hated freedom.

same. also i used to find bors funny, now he just comes out as either out of touch or dumb.

then again, the goverment will probaly shutdown this week on trumps 100th day in office while he is holding a loving rally. so maybe we are in wonderland after all.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

FuzzySkinner posted:

e: I also remember hearing right wingers hating David Brock. Turns out they weren't -wrong- in hating but for different reasons.

There are right-wingers bashing "far-left" candidate Macron on twitter today :lol:

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
https://twitter.com/cowlonfullerton/status/748670936069476353

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

quote:

"First of all, we wish to humbly say to our POC communities and Indigenous friends and relatives that we do not wish to speak for all POC or Indigenous peoples. Resisting this white supremacist system, however, means that we WoCSpeakOut sisters continuously put ourselves on the frontlines of white fragility in order to serve our own communities. We are trying, through our presence, to uplift the voices of our people.
In that vein, we attempted, multiple times, to reach out to the March for Science-Seattle organizers (with other POC and some of our white allies) to advise them on how to make their event less racist/elitist/colonialist/sexist. We put forward a list of detailed strongly worded "suggestions" to help make the March for Science have an actual positive impact for the social justice movement. We hoped to help make the March more in line with the true values of our grassroots community.
Our list was not ALL the MfS organizers should have done, it was a list of suggestions on how to begin this process.
The March for Science organizers REJECTED our suggestions and REFUSED to work with us because they wanted to only work with "evidence-based people". Our lived experience meant nothing to them. Our perspective as POC meant nothing to them. This elitism, racism, sexism, and classism is why we will not be at the MfS tomorrow and why we reject and denounce the MfS in Seattle and around the so-called United States.
The western scientific community MUST #Decolonize if they want to be accountable for their history and their present and their future. Without being accountable, they cannot join with us to defend life on Mother Earth. Without being accountable, they will only defend their egos to the detriment of us ALL.
If you agree with our list, share it. Again, this list is not all the scientific community needs to do but they couldn't even begin to listen. There is much work to be done and the scientific community is refusing to do it. We know, because WE Women of Color have been doing the work for them.
#SmashThePatriarchy #EndRacism
Dear Western White Cis Male Scientific Community:
1. We need a great deal of healing before the scientific community can be credible to the general public in terms of equity and "inclusivity" (inclusivity is a white supremacist term, implies that they are doing minorities a favor instead of simply doing the right thing).
2. In order for the scientific community to begin regaining trust of POC and marginalized people, they need to openly acknowledge how they have failed us for decades with their inaction on climate change. They must openly acknowledge that they have failed the Global South, POC, poor people, Indigenous peoples, and Womxn.
3. The scientific community must acknowledge that by staying silent for decades they have served the White Colonial Empire before the needs of humanity and nature.
4. In their values they say "Science is the BEST method for understanding the world". This will greatly offend Indigenous communities, POC, and faith communities. This divisive messaging should be muted to "Science is an EXCELLENT method to understand the world".
5. Earth Day is EARTH DAY, not "Science Day". This must be openly acknowledged and they need to be humble in their messaging to honor Mother Earth. Co-optation of this day for the ego of the scientific community will not be tolerated by POCs or Indigenous communities.
6. There must be Indigenous women who are grassroots activists on the march steering committee, as well as WOC and other POC such as Queer and Trans POC.
7. Their paid organizer for the March must be a POC from the grassroots racial justice community, NOT a white person or a colonized POC who is trained to obey the system.
8. For the March they must include invitations to all communities, including Queer and Trans communities, POC communities, Faith communities, Labor communities, Young people and Children.
9. They must include messaging that exposes Animal Agriculture's destructive effects on the environment and the climate and advocates plant-based organic food for ALL.
10. They must include messaging of carbon reduction policies that align with the Our Children's Trust lawsuit as part of their demands.
11. They MUST have a demand list.
12. The rights of Mother Earth and all living beings should be included in the demand list.
13. Their demand list must include honoring the treaty rights of all Indigenous peoples.
14. Their demand list must include dismantling the rape culture that contributes to the patriarchal oppression of Mother Earth. The scientific community is particularly patriarchal, they MUST openly acknowledge this in their messaging.
15. They must demand investment into research on types of healing and healthcare that are NOT based on pharmaceutical drugs.
16. They must demand investment in scientific research to further solar, wind, geo-thermal, hydro-electric, and other forms of renewal clean energies for and with frontline communities first and foremost.
17. NO nuclear power. This is non-negotiable.
18. No GMOs. This is non-negotiable. They must demand massive investment in organic, non-GMO food forests, permaculture, and urban farming.
19. They must include messaging that shows solidarity with farm workers, immigrants, and opening the borders to allow climate impacted communities to flee to safety.
#EarthDayToMayDayActionWeek #DecolonizeScience
Do not go to the March For Science. If you do go, call them out for their racism, sexism, colonialism, classism."

so this was on a facebook group i am part of. apparently the letter was sent around to a ton of people for the science march.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What a bunch of pretentious, parasitic douchebags. Its just so transparent that they're using guilt-tripping for their own narrow self-interest/pet issues.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I like how nuclear is absolutely not allowed but I guess coal is OK :confused:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Why's the scientific community to blame for inaction on climate change

They've been the ones yelling about climate change for like 4 decades

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
every pic i saw of the science march was shameful

i didnt know it was possible to protest so smugly

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
GMOs are racist sexist colonialism - something someone actually believes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Andrei Dorkovsky posted:

my gfs step dad went and said it was mostly pretty good and science based, least in philly.

MaxxBot posted:

I like how nuclear is absolutely not allowed but I guess coal is OK :confused:

idk. i like nuclear power. it has its issues(major gently caress ups are bad, waste disposal) but its mostly good poo poo.

rudatron posted:

What a bunch of pretentious, parasitic douchebags. Its just so transparent that they're using guilt-tripping for their own narrow self-interest/pet issues.

it feels like a mix of jill stein bullshit and the fallist dickheads in south africa.

Andrei Dorkovsky posted:

do show.

rudatron posted:

GMOs are racist sexist colonialism - something someone actually believes.

it isnt, GMO have issues, but they arnt the worst thing. most of the bad stuff is because companies are greedy cunts and that fact that you can trademark everything.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so this was on a facebook group i am part of. apparently the letter was sent around to a ton of people for the science march.

Anyone anti-nuclear power and anti-GMO probably doesn't belong at a Science March anyways.

The letter is also anti-meat.

They've used the word 'womxn' unironically.

And perhaps best of all they specifically call for a non-'colonized POC who is trained to obey the system' which is the funniest and most offensive thing imaginable.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it isnt, GMO have issues, but they arnt the worst thing. most of the bad stuff is because companies are greedy cunts and that fact that you can trademark everything.

GMOs are, in fact, very good and help make agriculture possible on the scales needed to feed the global population. The points of contention are mainly around the secretive nature of the research being done on GMOs. Its a shady and cutthroat world that intentionally hamstrings public research and oversight.

Half the stories you've heard about GMO companies suing poor farmers or making people commit suicide are urban legends made up because its fun to hate mega-corps. By all means there are many, many, many, many reasons to hate mega-corps, just not the ones people usually come up with.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Nuclear has its issues but the alternatives are coal and natural gas, you have to get your base load power from somewhere. That's the one issue I think Bernie is just flat out wrong on because his energy position is basically pro-blackouts. We don't have large scale storage tech yet and it's probably decades away.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Not a Step posted:

GMOs are, in fact, very good and help make agriculture possible on the scales needed to feed the global population. The points of contention are mainly around the secretive nature of the research being done on GMOs. Its a shady and cutthroat world that intentionally hamstrings public research and oversight.

Half the stories you've heard about GMO companies suing poor farmers or making people commit suicide are urban legends made up because its fun to hate mega-corps. By all means there are many, many, many, many reasons to hate mega-corps, just not the ones people usually come up with.

The problem with GMOs and the legitimate argument for them being a path for imperialism is purely around patenting of genetic material. GMOs are the path forward unless these loonies want to go full Prince Charles and advocate for killing off 2/3 of the world's population.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

Nuclear has its issues but the alternatives are coal and natural gas, you have to get your base load power from somewhere. That's the one issue I think Bernie is just flat out wrong on because his energy position is basically pro-blackouts. We don't have large scale storage tech yet and it's probably decades away.

Bernie is wrong about nuclear power, but he is also old and from Vermont. The fact that people who are not old and from Vermont are anti-nuclear and also believe they support science is an indictment of America's basic science curriculum.

Also, I missed this bit:

quote:

4. In their values they say "Science is the BEST method for understanding the world". This will greatly offend Indigenous communities, POC, and faith communities. This divisive messaging should be muted to "Science is an EXCELLENT method to understand the world".

Science is great for understanding atoms guys, but have you ever considered the Earth is only 6000 years old and is full of animist spirits?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im pro nuclear power i think all other forms of power should be shut down and we should just be okay with nuclear

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Baloogan posted:

im pro nuclear power i think all other forms of power should be shut down and we should just be okay with nuclear

This is actually a super progressive opinion but most people would think otherwise because they're morons. Most people on the left think we can get by with wind and solar only because no one bothered to tell them what base load power is.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

MaxxBot posted:

This is actually a super progressive opinion but most people would think otherwise because they're morons. Most people on the left think we can get by with wind and solar only because no one bothered to tell them what base load power is.

we're in a stagnated atomic age
we're not in an information age, not till we use burn quantum information to produce power.

we're in a hugely stagnated atomic age

we need to take risks to colonize mars

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
The march in my town was supposed to have a slam poet show but they got a stomach virus and had to cancel. Probably was the best thing about the entire march. Worst thing about it was one guy with a megaphone who kept trying to start a chant and kept failing.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Hmm I think your march in criticism of ignorance would be better if you were more accommodating of people who believe the opposite

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

"Well you see *something about Germany use more renewable energy than ever*"

"What do you mean they are still burning huge amounts of coal and are on track to miss their CO2 reduction targets?"

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

of course he did. gently caress him. he plays with his partners emotions so he can gently caress around and pretend how cool and brave and progressive he is and how nothing has negative consequences. god i am gonna sound like a moral majority dickhead, but trying to spin hedonism as some cool and progressive thing thats brave feels loving stupid and wrong. if you want to do it fine, but dont bay on twitter about how cool and progressive you are because you use your partner or you getting cheated on and are dumb enough to believe the cheaters lies. this poo poo will have blowback a decade or so from now. free love and all that stuff in the 60s broke alot of hearts and led to the moral majority and people going hard right because they are broken shells and need jesus to fill them up.
Brave is coming out to your conservative parents. There's nothing brave about about being a polyamorous hedonist.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Not a Step posted:

The letter is also anti-meat.

So what?

Meat rules, but there's nothing "unscientific" or ridiculous about not eating it. We could probably use resources much more efficiently if everybody gave it up, especially beef.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is there gonna be a woke Charles Manson?

he has an underappreciated soundcloud page at this very moment

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

the trump tutelage posted:

Brave is coming out to your conservative parents. There's nothing brave about about being a polyamorous hedonist.

thats what i mean. brave is coming out in a repressive conservative household or transitioning successfully after all the hardships or making it far in life despite a crippling disability(mental or physical). bravery isn't being a dumb loving hedonist who fucks anything with a whole white cheating on their partner but pats themselves on the back constantly for being "progressive". bravery also isnt playing dickhead prude media critic and bitching and screaming how everything doesn't cater to there didactic prudish political views.

the poo poo is going to backfire hard in the coming decades when these idiots start burning out or finding Jesus or Mohammad hard because the original sin of priviledge and empty hedonism leaves them dead inside, hell it already is since it helped grow the loving alt right started as a reaction to these people mixed with all the awful nazi bullshit.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's brave to face the furious sadbrains who will hurl invective at you and try to ruin your life if you're a public person on the internet and say something like "I'm polyamorous", or for that matter, "I'm monogamous" from the other direction; in the current social media climate it takes a kind of courage to be publicly famous at all

courage isn't a moral virtue, and you don't have to be a good person to be brave

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

wizard on a water slide posted:

I think it's brave to face the furious sadbrains who will hurl invective at you and try to ruin your life if you're a public person on the internet and say something like "I'm polyamorous", or for that matter, "I'm monogamous" from the other direction; in the current social media climate it takes a kind of courage to be publicly famous at all

courage isn't a moral virtue, and you don't have to be a good person to be brave

There's nothing braver than getting called a moron on twitter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

true. i am just amused how these people are just desperately trying to turn "cuck" into a positive or reclaimed into something good like QUILTBAGs did with queer or gay. like why is that a hill they want to die on. plus its just making the alt right say it more.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/855560909678399489

apparently.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'll give you an example of what I mean: richard spencer is a pretty brave dude to say and do some of the things he does, because he literally has like a 50/50 shot of being punched in the jaw every time he makes a public appearance now

that courage isn't good for him or for society

wokes think it's brave to face the invective of the /pol/ hordes and those dudes think it's brave to yell the n-word at black people on a college campus

they are both right, the problem is that "bravery" unto itself isn't a virtue and doesn't prove an ideology

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I'll give you an example of what I mean: richard spencer is a pretty brave dude to say and do some of the things he does, because he literally has like a 50/50 shot of being punched in the jaw every time he makes a public appearance now

that courage isn't good for him or for society

wokes think it's brave to face the invective of the /pol/ hordes and those dudes think it's brave to yell the n-word at black people on a college campus

they are both right, the problem is that "bravery" unto itself isn't a virtue and doesn't prove an ideology

pretty much. no one believes they are the bad guy and everyone a hero in their own story.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

It kind of is brave to face off against /pol/ because there's like a 90% chance you'll go to work on monday with your boss' inbox filled with emails calling you a child rapist or something. It is however totally pointless.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MaxxBot posted:

It kind of is brave to face off against /pol/ because there's like a 90% chance you'll go to work on monday with your boss' inbox filled with emails calling you a child rapist or something. It is however totally pointless.

The thing is if you face down too woke twitter you will get the same treatment except you will also be fired.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

in today's media environment, "brave" more often means "saying or doing something that i agree with" than it does "saying or doing something courageous"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

in today's media environment, "brave" more often means "saying or doing something that i agree with" than it does "saying or doing something courageous"

MERYL STREEP WAS SO BRAVE TO SPEAK OUT AGAINST TRUMP!

Like that's the easiest poo poo in the world to do. She's not wrong in doing it, but it's not -brave-.

also, Bob you're out of your element

https://twitter.com/HyperboreaI/status/856150815467327488

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

MERYL STREEP WAS SO BRAVE TO SPEAK OUT AGAINST TRUMP!

Like that's the easiest poo poo in the world to do. She's not wrong in doing it, but it's not -brave-.

also, Bob you're out of your element

https://twitter.com/HyperboreaI/status/856150815467327488

I like how the fat weeb gently caress legit thinks Asia is free from nationalistic dick waving and that they all just get along in some enlightened fashion. Instead of constantly threatening each other and saber rattling over centuries old land disputes and cultural clashes. i am just amused about how loving smart he thinks he is. His bizarre admiration for Ayn Rand makes it very difficult to place him truly on the "left". I think he's more someone with a superiority complex who chooses progressivism as a way of looking down on common people than a leftist.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 03:19 on Apr 24, 2017

• Locked thread