Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
we talked about it at length, friendo

the consensus seems to be that more effort is placed in a wet fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Act Omega is retroactively justifying the entire dream bubble concept. I'm digging it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I honestly didn't see it linked and think it looks good so far, if the entire game looks like that it will at least be competent, if long overdue. Also I am enjoying Act Omega, even if the central threat is a bit silly/awkward, thankfully it's being brought up by known liar and self-involved person Aranea, so there's always the potential she's wrong. Not a likely one though from how it's written.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

I honestly didn't see it linked and think it looks good so far, if the entire game looks like that it will at least be competent, if long overdue. Also I am enjoying Act Omega, even if the central threat is a bit silly/awkward, thankfully it's being brought up by known liar and self-involved person Aranea, so there's always the potential she's wrong. Not a likely one though from how it's written.

I don't think Aranea lies throughout the comic. At least, I can't remember when. Also, her self-involvedness is more of an informed attribute than one demonstrated through the text - Aranea, for all her flaws, is usually talking about others, and letting others claim credit for her heavy lifting (Such as Vriska with the boats). It's actually Calliope that always finds a way to pull the conversation back to herself, which fits her Act Omega Characterization of taking a scorched-earth approach to reality to stop Lord English, because she's the only one who can.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Every time I think about the ending of Homestuck I get angrier at it. I should really, like, stop involving myself in conversations where it winds up coming up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KaosMachina posted:

Every time I think about the ending of Homestuck I get angrier at it. I should really, like, stop involving myself in conversations where it winds up coming up.

That shouldn't be difficult.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

i still cant decide if i was more bummed out by homestuck or mass effect 3's endings

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Clawtopsy posted:

i still cant decide if i was more bummed out by homestuck or mass effect 3's endings

Homestuck doesn't even let you pick a color, so obviously homestuck.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Clawtopsy posted:

Definitely Mass Effect 3.

The ending of Homestuck was disappointing, but in keeping with the narrative's established failure modes in that it let determination not to give the readers what they want carry it into making a completely inappropriate standard ending with a straightforward boss fight and no thematic resolution.

The ending of Mass Effect 3 was a complete betrayal of everything the series had ever tried to make you feel before. After three games of being "a simulator designed to convince you that Commander Shepard, whose appearance you design and whose morality you direct, is the most radical being in the universe," it switches into Only One Option Theatre Starring Kilohitler.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah, Homestuck's ending is by and large disappointing but nothing special. Mass Effect 3's ending is a travesty that retroactively makes the story worse by it's existence, instead of just not being a satisfying conclusion.

It helps that I'm pretty sure the percentage of Homestuck fans who like the Homestuck ending is higher than the percentage of Mass Effect fans who like Mass Effect 3's ending. Remember that this forum tends to be an echo chamber of dislike and doesn't have very many dissenting opinions, which can lead to false assumptions regarding how well received the ending is.

I personally think the ending to Homestuck works, it just could've been better, but I'm fine with what we got and feel it could also have been a lot worse.

Of course that's because I take the view that Vriska was basically meaningless beyond keeping everyone from destroying themselves, because she doesn't care that it's not her place to say things about other people's habits and personalities and will do so anyway. Also her plan completely failed as it was described and worked in spite of her attempts, and her big save the world moment is at best a distraction so Lord English doesn't notice the real threat was in fact behind him the entire time and something he himself caused by existing.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 17, 2017

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Mass Effect had two prior entries that stand alone well enough as fun and interesting stories and you could resign yourself to the inevitable hollowing out of the franchise well in advance once Bioware was acquired by EA. It's a big, corporate, mismanaged project and people have generally had enough experience with those that the letdown isn't too surprising, if disappointing. Mass Effect 3 was a huge blunder, but people were more on guard for that.

With Homestuck it stung a bit more for being such a whirlwind phenomenon, a novel web oddity with an oddball creator keeping an absurd update pace along with his band of creative collaborators and a highly engaged fanbase. At its peak Homestuck was a downright all-consuming experience, updates popping off in the dead of night and continuous discussion of the latest developments all over the internet. Just look at the Kickstarter - we laugh now, but at the time it seemed like a sure thing. Homestuck practically is a game, filled with music, animation and Flash content made for free, so how could the same guy with a budget fail? Hell, people were happy just giving their money away as payback for how much entertainment they'd gotten from the comic up to that point.

So yeah, Homestuck gradually coming undone over the course of Act 6, Hussie seemingly losing the spark, the whole community dwindling and demoralized, I think the end of Homestuck was worse.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
From a pure enjoyment perspective, you could stop Mass Effect 3 a few minutes before the ending scene and still have a perfectly serviceable, if underwhelming, bittersweet ending. With Homestuck, the disappointment wasn't wrapped up in that entire final animation, that was just confirmation that Hussie wasn't planning for something awesome and big to justify the last few months of bullshit, he had just essentially given up.

This is where I would say I hope the epilogue is Homestuck's Citadel DLC, but lol we're never getting the epilogue.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The ending of Mass Effect is Shepard going up to the Catalyst and punching the Reaper King. There wasn't a little ghost boy. That was a dream.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I would like to see the alternative universe where Hussie didn't make a Kickstarter while only halfway done with his comic (seriously, A6A6 is about half of the comic, and he didn't start that until about a year later).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bogart posted:

The ending of Mass Effect is Shepard going up to the Catalyst and punching the Reaper King. There wasn't a little ghost boy. That was a dream.

I still can't get over that they patched in a game over ending if you shoot at the ghost boy, that's just so loving petty. Point for Hussie is his patched-in slideshow epilogue at least didn't give me a resentment vibe, even if they were both hurried PR responses to public backlash.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

I would like to see the alternative universe where Hussie didn't make a Kickstarter while only halfway done with his comic (seriously, A6A6 is about half of the comic, and he didn't start that until about a year later).

I don't think the plot would have gone much differently, but it would have been like two years sooner and the community wouldn't have lost steam so it would probably have felt better. We'd probably have a better idea of what he'd been intending with it all.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Tenebrais posted:

I don't think the plot would have gone much differently, but it would have been like two years sooner and the community wouldn't have lost steam so it would probably have felt better. We'd probably have a better idea of what he'd been intending with it all.

The people who post in this thread having read the whole thing or latter parts of the comic in one go seem to be pretty amicable to the ending, so I expect you're right.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dolash posted:

I still can't get over that they patched in a game over ending if you shoot at the ghost boy, that's just so loving petty. Point for Hussie is his patched-in slideshow epilogue at least didn't give me a resentment vibe, even if they were both hurried PR responses to public backlash.

I was saying to somebody the other day that I'm actually really impressed with how, whatever drama is going on with Homestuck, Andrew Hussie has managed to keep it completely out of the public eye.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

The people who post in this thread having read the whole thing or latter parts of the comic in one go seem to be pretty amicable to the ending, so I expect you're right.

For my oneshot, Act 6 never achieved the breakneck of Act 5, but it was still as good or better than everything before it. The pesterlogs were longer and the circumstances were different, but half the comic's worth of narrative hook kept the energy strong. I thought the ending was notably weak, but Collide and Act 7 are independently good videos.

That said, in retrospect, I would have been pretty disenfranchised by the hiatuses. I don't particularly envy the people who slogged through the second half in lockstep.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah, those two year long pauses werent much fun. And while I never indulged in the homestuck fanbase, because honestly, gently caress that, the buzz around it going away and fading was honestly what made the ending feel a lot less momentous, and made what was a vague yet fitting finale a lot more disheartening. I'd never want to bring back the troll cosplayers who spit in a bucket at a kfc or whatever insanity i must have missed, but it has to be said that the entire internet keeping up at once with this constant stream of content, and generating even more in tandem, was a really special thing. Maybe not unique, since whenever theres a trend this inevitably happens, but like someone said, no tv show updates like 10 times a day sometimes even in the dead of night, with a new music album every 3 months or so. with that said, ill always remember the comic fondly

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tenebrais posted:

Anecdotal but I know a few people that read it after the end (Mostly because I told them it was over and done) and while they don't have issues with the pacing there were a lot of complaints about how characters just stop being a thing a point or have their whole voice/character rewritten to service an ending that was describe to me as 'limp.'

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Hussie only made Problem Sleuth 2 in any alternate universe that meant anything ever

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Anecdotal but I know a few people that read it after the end (Mostly because I told them it was over and done) and while they don't have issues with the pacing there were a lot of complaints about how characters just stop being a thing a point or have their whole voice/character rewritten to service an ending that was describe to me as 'limp.'

Yeah I don't mean to say the ending would have felt good and satisfying, it just wouldn't have given the impression of being a drawn-out sigh to get it over with that a lot of people here feel. Just a bit of a damp squid, which we'd have half expected because we know Hussie is bad at ending things.

Further to my point, I think without the kickstarter and game drama Hussie would have stayed more engaged with the community. Sure, until 2012 he was getting more distant from the MSPA forums but it felt like more getting a broader view of the fanbase, as it expanded from chatting with a few dozen people on his forum to fielding questions from a few thousand people on Tumblr. It wasn't until things started kicking off behind the curtain with the game that he really cut off communications, ultimately deleting the entire MSPA forums when the comic ended. I reckon if it weren't for the game he'd still be finding ways to interact with his fans and would probably have done some sort of Q&A after the ending to explain what he was trying to do and what he was getting at.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Did the MSPA forums ever return or are they still "down for maintenance" forever? That was one of the weirder things related to this whole thing, I think. Killed a community there with a flip of a switch for no apparent reason

(Or was there a reason?)

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Did the MSPA forums ever return or are they still "down for maintenance" forever? That was one of the weirder things related to this whole thing, I think. Killed a community there with a flip of a switch for no apparent reason

(Or was there a reason?)

I think they were invaded by spam bots and/or someone lost access to the forums. Or something like that, anyway.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The story is that the forums were hacked and apparently nobody from whatpumpkin was really in charge of it anymore, so there was nobody to put it back online. They also may not have a backup (recent or otherwise). No word on whether user data (such as it was) was compromised either. They apparently hired a guy to get brand new forums together some time last year, and he has posted on the omegaupdate forums unofficially to give people some idea of what was going on. He provided occasional updates but nothing since January.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

i just assumed the forums going down were just hussie adding another level of community disengagement, especially as iirc they went down just before the ending

e: this pic becomes rapidly more unfunny and unironic the more times passes:

original:

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 19, 2017

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I knew a couple friends who worked as 3D Animators in NYC on that project like, atleast 3 years ago before it ended up getting scrapped for the 2-D style. That picture was from back when they had that NYC studio.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The man had a solid plan here, I don't know how it got so bungled.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there any word on when Paradox Space Book 2 will be back in stock?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there any word on when Paradox Space Book 2 will be back in stock?

the safe answer to any question that starts with "Is there any word on..." and ends with something Homestuck related is "No."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Clawtopsy posted:

i just assumed the forums going down were just hussie adding another level of community disengagement, especially as iirc they went down just before the ending

e: this pic becomes rapidly more unfunny and unironic the more times passes:

actually that definitely gets more funny and more unironic as time passes

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Emailed one of the Paradox Space 2 authors in case she knows anything about restocking. I wonder if there's someone in We Love Fine I could contact too.

Edit: She said she doesn't know anything and to contact What Pumpkin, but What Pumpkin doesn't have any contact info so I assume she means welovefine.

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 21, 2017

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Cabbit posted:

The man had a solid plan here, I don't know how it got so bungled.

Two and a half million dollars can either buy you some pretty good horses, or a decent videogame, but not both

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

Two and a half million dollars can either buy you some pretty good horses, or a decent videogame, but not both

What about videogames about horses? Or videogames FOR horses?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
whinny.wav

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

some regrets

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's time to admit you have a problem.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

some regrets