Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
What the gently caress sort of country doesn't know about halloween though?

Xmas is celebrated worldwide

Chinese new year is also celebrated worldwide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Chinese New Year seems kind of specific.

So did the X-Mas event considering that's a specific religion's holiday.

Halloween is also primarily an American holiday...

It's as if....

As if.....

It doesn't loving matter.

I'm sorry, are you having a stroke? Either way Chinese New Year is celebrated by an enormous amount of people and in many different countries, and both Christmas and Halloween (or similar equivalents) are popular in many nations across the world regardless of where they originated from.

Does it matter? Not particularly, it's a video game, I'm just saying that there's no real reason why there'd be an event dedicated to something that's irrelevant to all but one country in a game like this.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

not to mention the Christmas event was actually a Winter event so while you had santa skins and elf tracer you also got zarya with frosted hair and ice queen pharah and yeti winston

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Manatee Cannon posted:

like that random option for highlight intros? it'd be kinda fun to have that for everything so you never know what you're gonna get going into a match
For a start I would be happy with being able to pick 4 like you can with sprays, emotes etc.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Redundant posted:

For a start I would be happy with being able to pick 4 like you can with sprays, emotes etc.

Or, you click the hero's icon in the hero selection screen and you get a list of your skins to pick from.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
maybe there is some server-side reason that you can't choose your loadout after you get in to a game? the game could just pre-load everything so it doesn't have to do it again or something.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

On slower computers a character model can take up to a couple of minutes to load, which comes up sometimes in Mystery Heroes. Players could switch skins frequently and become invisible to users on poor hardware.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I'd be happy to be locked to one skin for the match, just let me pick at the start or randomly choose between favourites that I can select.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kai Tave posted:

Clearly you missed McCree's summer games skin.

'MuriCree

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
What about Southern Hemisphere players for whom the winter event is in the summer and vice versa? Blizzard clearly isn't thinking globally with these events.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Dren posted:

What about Southern Hemisphere players for whom the winter event is in the summer and vice versa? Blizzard clearly isn't thinking globally with these events.

those people should have the good sense to live on the correct half of the planet

Seriously tho beachgoer attire for roadhog and junkrat during the next winter event would be a nice touch

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I just got overwatch and played a quick game of Payload and I'm ok at the game I guess, but I have no idea what's going on. Used to play a lot of TF2 Sniper and Pyro, what should I play that's similar to Pyro? What newbie tips are there?

How much money am I gonna spend on boxes....

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

I just got overwatch and played a quick game of Payload and I'm ok at the game I guess, but I have no idea what's going on. Used to play a lot of TF2 Sniper and Pyro, what should I play that's similar to Pyro? What newbie tips are there?

Mei is probably your closest equivalent to Pyro - spray them with her ice spray to freeze them in place then execute them with an alt-fire headshot.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
What about my personal birthday? I have family across the country that recognize that!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

RealFoxy posted:

There's a support sniper with a heal mechanic that's a pretty cool twist on the sniper class. Forgot her name but she's pretty fun even though I cannot shoot her drat gun accurately at all for some reason.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Ana, and her gun is super generous on teammates, which can be a problem if you're trying to hit something like a phara and roadhog exists somewhere

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Ana is also unique in that her unscoped shots have travel time but scoped in she's hitscan.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I've been playing a couple weeks now, and really love playing tanks (D.Va and Orisa) and support (Ana and Mercy), but I seem to be terrible at most offense heroes. Soldier 76 is pretty generous, but I can't get the hang of managing Pharah's hovering/flight while shooting at the same time on my controller.

Sombra seems like a lot of fun, but is really difficult to feel like I'm making any difference. Are there any good videos or resources on how to play her better?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I've been playing a couple weeks now, and really love playing tanks (D.Va and Orisa) and support (Ana and Mercy), but I seem to be terrible at most offense heroes. Soldier 76 is pretty generous, but I can't get the hang of managing Pharah's hovering/flight while shooting at the same time on my controller.

Sombra seems like a lot of fun, but is really difficult to feel like I'm making any difference. Are there any good videos or resources on how to play her better?

By default pharahs jump is cloned to L2 if that helps

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My suggestion for an anniversary event:

Plot: Amelie has been killed by supervillains!
Game Content: Widowmaker removed from the game.

I mean honestly if they didn't have a character and lore based around every class in this game I can't see any justification for keeping that one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Of the three new characters Blizzard has made for the game since its release Ana has been by far the most useful so they should stick with what they know best and just make more snipers imo.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well, Ana's the one who is beneficial standing on the objective rather than looking at it at a distance, so that's the difference.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I played Orisa the entire round on defense, we ended up having a 10-minute hold on Volskaya defense, that guy was on offense I think

I don't even know what that guy was bitching and wailing about, nor why. We nearly lost point B a few times, the match was pretty close, and most of the match I spent reading poo poo on my second monitor so it wasn't even particularly intense/tryhard

Like it's Friday why are people all heated up and screaming and slamming their desks over this stuff

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I got called a tryhard by a today because I played Sombra and focused and hacked the Mercy whenever I could. I'm pretty sure they never got a res off, and had a lot of instances where they flew into a group of teammates only to get hacked mid flight and die.

I also got called garbage by a Junkrat because I killed him as he ulted so he just blew up his tire on me and I typed into chat "I'm okay with this."

People are definitely grumpy today.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Fun fact with Orisa: you can cancel her reload animation with Shield, Halt, or her Ultimate, shaving off 1.766 seconds (I counted) of her reload time if you're frame-perfect.

However, if you fire any of them too soon, you'll cancel the reload without actually reloading, forcing you to start again.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Theta Zero posted:

I got called a tryhard by a today because I played Sombra and focused and hacked the Mercy whenever I could. I'm pretty sure they never got a res off, and had a lot of instances where they flew into a group of teammates only to get hacked mid flight and die.

I also got called garbage by a Junkrat because I killed him as he ulted so he just blew up his tire on me and I typed into chat "I'm okay with this."

People are definitely grumpy today.

Must be in the air - I got yelled at by some dude for not healing and being a "DPS Zen" because I fired orbs or something. Rest of the team (all randoms) piled on him for 1v6ing the other team way past the push point as Hanzo, hence his absence of heals. After A he said "HEY GUESS I'LL SWITCH TO DPS ASSAULT HEALS BECAUSE THAT IS COOL AND GOOD AND IS SOMETHING NON-IDIOTS DO." So fine, he switched to Ana, I went 76, and was told that "Everyone gets heals except tardcore Ragequit". We ended up pushing to what felt like the longest overtime I have ever been in, ultimately securing the win. Overall super fun, and not another peep out of the grumpy assault healer. I also retained gold healing.

It's just a video game! One guy on our team even said "Hey sorry I am practicing Widow!" and everyone said "Hell yeah no prob have fun." That's what the mode is there for you lunatics.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
A tracer demolished me twice when I was running bastion and he teabagged me the second time.

I caught him with all his poo poo on cooldown later and mowed him into the ground in turret form. Switched to recon to get a couple squats in. He started it

Game over, we won, I get a message: "get hosed human being"

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

You've won overwatch

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I had 2 straight games in comp where 2 guys on our team were trolling. Squatting outside our point, not helping.

They were both had diamond icons. One guy was level 263. He's been tanking his SR since beginning of April.

Why do people do this? I'm just trying to get to Platinum.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

SKULL.GIF posted:

I played Orisa the entire round on defense, we ended up having a 10-minute hold on Volskaya defense, that guy was on offense I think

I don't even know what that guy was bitching and wailing about, nor why. We nearly lost point B a few times, the match was pretty close, and most of the match I spent reading poo poo on my second monitor so it wasn't even particularly intense/tryhard

Like it's Friday why are people all heated up and screaming and slamming their desks over this stuff

Had a game last night where my 6 stack got called tryhard and that we should take it to comp. Our tryhard stack included Orisa, Widow and Hanzo.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Kameh posted:

I had 2 straight games in comp where 2 guys on our team were trolling. Squatting outside our point, not helping.

They were both had diamond icons. One guy was level 263. He's been tanking his SR since beginning of April.

Why do people do this? I'm just trying to get to Platinum.

Did you report them? It's probably because there either isn't any consequence for doing so, or because no one is actually reporting them, or not enough people are.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm pretty confident that my death somehow auto-triggers Zen and Lucio's ults. The amount of times my death has been immediately followed by their ults is numbing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dogstile posted:

What the gently caress sort of country doesn't know about halloween though?

Xmas is celebrated worldwide

Chinese new year is also celebrated worldwide

Yeah Chinese New Year gets big attention event-wise where I work. I work for a bank that has absolutely no presence in China or outside the US, or east of the Missouri for that matter and is owned overall by a French company.

Like sure if I worked for like HSBC I could see calling the new year a limited scope holiday but lmao at saying people don't celebrate it all over.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Tried coming back after a few months off.

Went on a rampage with 76 on Kings Row, winning every fight and working well with my teammates. 4 golds for about 5 minutes.

And then one of their team switches to Widow and one-shots my rear end twice.

gently caress this game.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kanfy posted:

I'm sorry, are you having a stroke? Either way Chinese New Year is celebrated by an enormous amount of people and in many different countries, and both Christmas and Halloween (or similar equivalents) are popular in many nations across the world regardless of where they originated from.

Does it matter? Not particularly, it's a video game, I'm just saying that there's no real reason why there'd be an event dedicated to something that's irrelevant to all but one country in a game like this.

A stroke is better than the aneurysm you've had if you think Chinese New Year's is a worldwide holiday, I doubt I'll see it being celebrated if I picked a random Muslim city, anywhere in Africa, or some poo poo hole like North Dakota.

Also, this is Blizzard, they have a godamn Independence Day holiday analog in WoW that ends exactly on the 4th of July. They'll stretch any national holiday to fit a broader audience if they please.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

CaptainScraps posted:

Went on a rampage with 76 on Kings Row, winning every fight and working well with my teammates. 4 golds for about 5 minutes.

gently caress this game.

If they have widow, play around corners or duck to screw her sightlines. Also, feel free to go Winston/genji/D.Va to counter her. This is not the games fault that you don't respect certain heroes abilities.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CaptainScraps posted:

gently caress this game.

I took a month off because of a bunch of other games coming out and it's been a laggy mess and the few games that didn't have people holding place for a second at a time had people intentionally trying to lose and succeeding. :(

Uprising's fun though!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Thor-Stryker posted:

A stroke is better than the aneurysm you've had if you think Chinese New Year's is a worldwide holiday, I doubt I'll see it being celebrated if I picked a random Muslim city, anywhere in Africa, or some poo poo hole like North Dakota.

Also, this is Blizzard, they have a godamn Independence Day holiday analog in WoW that ends exactly on the 4th of July. They'll stretch any national holiday to fit a broader audience if they please.

Something that is celebrated in at the very least 13 countries in asia alone, not including the US and most of europe certainly counts.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I actually did a quick Google check and at least a couple cities in North Dakota had Lunar New Year festivities at various places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kai Tave posted:

I actually did a quick Google check and at least a couple cities in North Dakota had Lunar New Year festivities at various places.

I know for a fact that our offices in Fargo had a celebration.