Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

I've been careful with it, because it cost me several hundred dollars when it was new. It works fine. Why would I buy a new one?

Camera is pretty gross on it compared to anything more recent. Having LTE would also be nice. If you find yourself having to plug it in during the day to avoid running out of battery, lots of new phones have significantly better battery life. Fingerprint scanner is also a really nice quality of life improvement.

Edit: and fwiw, the Nexus 4 was really wide for the screen size. A normal Pixel is a little taller, but almost exactly the same width. Same with the Galaxy S8 (it's even taller though). Lots of similarly one handable modern phones.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

Why do you drop your phones so often?

I've actually never broke a phone, or even really drop one that's made me nervous. I take care of my expensive "appliances" so I'm able to resell them and continue my technological addiction.

It's pretty simple though. Some people like to get phones more often than others because of any reason who gives a poo poo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

bull3964 posted:

There's absolutely something wrong with using a 4 1/2 year old Android phone since you are massively out of date with security patches.

Not quite sure what you're talking about. My Google Nexus 4 runs Android N.

RVProfootballer posted:

Camera is pretty gross on it compared to anything more recent. Having LTE would also be nice.

My Nexus 4 has LTE, and I carry a real camera for when I want to take photos.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

There's absolutely something wrong with using a 4 1/2 year old Android phone since you are massively out of date with security patches.

This.

Also, the you're too poor comments and the mobile games are for children comments were loving dumb. Don't do those again.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

I carry a real camera for when I want to take photos.

Exactly, it's nice to not have to do that.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
S8 trip report. This year almost every review talks about how TouchWiz / "Samsung experience" has been debloated and toned down to a very bearable level. Every year the design gets better and I hope it's finally on par with Nexus/Pixel/iPhone even if it's just due to raw horsepower on top of SE being toned down.

I know better by now but drat the design of the S8 won me over and it really is a marvel to hold and use, can't wait for future phones to be so much screen and so little bezel. Have had no grip issues or false touches while using the phone naked. The FP sensor really isn't that bad either, my index finger naturally goes to the left side and the iris scanner works well too.

However, I don't know how all these sites and youtubers can honestly keep claiming that the Samsung experience is so toned down or claim the S8 is the best android phone /best phone in general. It's still very much a Samsung device, I still get random lag, especially in chrome. The settings menu is still atrocious. The best part is that after I did the Ota today I keep getting a "Dqa keeps stopping" pop-up and apparently it's a widespread issue. Despite trying all of the temporary fixes it's still happening, so that is fun. Haven't had this many force closes messages since running janky roms on my OG Droid... The phone is only 2 days old. I can overlook the other nitpicks this thread has addressed because quick toggles and all that don't affect my daily use, but I can still understand the criticisms.

So yeah, absolutely love the design, it really looks and feels like the new modern phone but everything else is decidedly samsung to me. Would definitely go Pixel if I were to stick with android but I'm going back to my iPhone 7 for now. Can't wait to see what the pixel 2 brings to the table. Oh yeah, regular S8 and it's getting awesome battery life, so that chipset in a vanilla device should be incredible.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Paging hotsauce

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

She'll probably complain that things are different. That's what normal people do when they get an OS update.

Actually, she's doing okay. LG has a simplified version of their launcher that they left completely the same as when the phone launched. She just uses that.

Their default launcher is like a sort of betterish version of the old Launcher3 that looked like the Google Now Launcher and she's never used that.

The only new apps are the ones that I put on (iHeartRadio and Android Messages) The default messaging app for the LG Stylo 2 is the worst SMS app ever. It doesn't even send SMS for whatever reason, it sends via Boost's carrier e-mail I guess and it was just absolute poo poo. I put Android Messages on and it works fine.

This is probably why I never got her messages...

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 23, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

Exactly, it's nice to not have to do that.

Cell phone cameras don't take high-quality photographs.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bull3964 posted:

I'd hold that against Google/the manufacturer/the carrier before I'd ever hold it against the consumer.

I have 10+ year old desktops and laptops running Linux when their respective Windows install became EOL'd, and my current laptop is 5+ years and running Windows 10 Creators with needing no maintenance other than a hard drive replacement, so it'll be good to go for a long time to come. Cell phones can't do this, but the high market seems to think they can get away with charging lap/desktop prices anyway.

My parents are still using their Galaxy S2s to this day without complaint. I bought my 6P last November, and I expect to use it for at least five years at that price. Any less time than that is absolutely A Bad Value in my mind.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

They actually do

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

They actually do

He/she literally has no idea what a modern smartphone is like, don't even bother.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

He/she literally has no idea what a modern smartphone is like, don't even bother.

Have you ever used a real camera, or just stared at them from afar?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Have you ever used a real camera, or just stared at them from afar?

I own a DSLR, yes.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, I've been using a digital point-and-shoot for the past decade or so, and my smartphone's camera is actually slightly better quality than it now. I literally have no reason to use my old camera anymore except if my phone battery and pack run dry.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I have a shiny new S8+, but I'm running into weird connection errors in various games using 5ghz. I haven't used 5ghz on anything meaningful in the house before, so I have no basis for comparison - I don't know if this is android, the s8, samsung, the router, or a 5ghz thing.

Connection issues occur regardless of whether I'm 5 feet from the router or 100, and they do not occur in 2.4ghz.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I own a DSLR, yes.

Ah, small format.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

victrix posted:

I have a shiny new S8+, but I'm running into weird connection errors in various games using 5ghz. I haven't used 5ghz on anything meaningful in the house before, so I have no basis for comparison - I don't know if this is android, the s8, samsung, the router, or a 5ghz thing.

Connection issues occur regardless of whether I'm 5 feet from the router or 100, and they do not occur in 2.4ghz.

When I plug a second monitor into my work laptop (I.e. one running on vga, another one on the display port) the VPN stops working. Unplug one of the monitors and it cheers right up.

Maybe your Samsung phone is doing that except without extra monitors because it's already overworking the GPU even at a downgraded sub-native resolution.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
My friend who doesn't give a poo poo about photography still recently got a DSLRs because he's just had a kid and despite his galaxy s7 having a great camera it can't keep up with a moving subject, especially in indoor situations.

Camera phones have gotten really good the last few years but there is still a gulf in quality with certain aspects of photography, most strongly felt with low light and motion. For most people though they surpassed 'good enough' along time ago and unless you are a hobbyist or really need to take pictures of your kids/pets all the time then the camera on you phone will likely serve you very well.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 23, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

My friend who doesn't give a poo poo about photography still recently got a DSLRs because he's just had a kid and despite his galaxy s7 having a great camera it can't keep up with a moving subject, especially in indoor situations.

Camera phones have gotten really good the last few years but there is still a gulf in quality with certain aspects of photography, most strongly felt with low light and motion. For most people though they surpassed 'good enough' along time ago and unless you are a hobbyist or really need to take pictures of your kids/pets all the time then the camera on you phone will likely serve you very well.

I agree. This is why I carry a powerful camera.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

atomicthumbs posted:

Granted, I only did a quick Google search, but it appears that the only way to get 7.0+ on a Nexus 4 is through a custom ROM. Which largely defeats the purpose of security patches.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I maintain phone security through the practice of living a boring life and having no money so who cares.

(Also my N6 is still getting updates so w/e.)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

atomicthumbs posted:

My Nexus 4 has LTE, and I carry a real camera for when I want to take photos.

You're an idiot or a troll. Stop posting, please.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The best camera is the one you have with you, and for a majority of people, it's not often a full frame SLR device and the accompanying lenses needed for various situations. This is why having a really nice phone camera comes in handy. I don't ever use my Nikon compact anymore because the my phone has a nice suite of manual controls that gives me a bit of freedom when taking pictures. Also helps that the Mate 9 camera setup is near the top of the field when it comes to phone cameras.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
To be fair, I never ever buy phones new. They depreciate in value so fast that in general you can buy them at the one year mark off of Swappa for 250$ish.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

ratbert90 posted:

To be fair, I never ever buy phones new. They depreciate in value so fast that in general you can buy them at the one year mark off of Swappa for 250$ish.

Swappa is both the best thing to happen to me and the worst thing to happen to my wallet. :v:

Last brand new Android phone I purchased was the Galaxy Nexus. I actually went to the launch event at my local VZW corporate store for it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

JayKay posted:

Swappa is both the best thing to happen to me and the worst thing to happen to my wallet. :v:

Last brand new Android phone I purchased was the Galaxy Nexus. I actually went to the launch event at my local VZW corporate store for it.

They added wearables as well recently!

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 23, 2017

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

LastInLine posted:

Sorry I meant to answer this last night for you then forgot.

I know it used to be tied to the Google+ app but it's not there now. It used to be buried in the settings in something worded like "Allow Google+ to keep contacts up to date" or something like that. I know it was there a month ago when I set up my old Nexus 5 for my dad to use but I just went in there to find the setting and those settings have been gutted. There's nothing left in there at all.

That said, if you go to contacts.google.com, are your contact photos there looking okay?

contacts.google.com only shows small circular avatars, there's no way to see the original picture/size for me.
If I right-click-examine the picture, it appears to be a 80x80 source file shrunk down to 60x60 even.
Contacts only allows to click on the thumbnail to replace it with a new image from my local drive/google photos.

So i guess I need to hunt down high res pictures for all my contacts and replace them or deal with blown up 80x80 caller ID pictures on a 1440x2560 phone display.
THE FUTURE!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

atomicthumbs posted:

Ah, small format.

lol, goalposts. Troll harder.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So I am trying to get off of Verizon and their goddamn gimped phones. Have an S7 which blows rear end. Audio output quality is rotten garbage. Curved screen is impossible to protect. I hate the goddamn phone.

I want to move to t-mobile and get a GSM phone. I want the *best* audio output and camera possible with microSD expansion. The rest is optional. I don't really care about screen size, don't care about processor as long as battery life is great. GPS must work well of course. Internets say the HTC 10 might be the ticket for badass audio. I've been looking at the Sony phones, the XZ series. People say the XZ has an awesome camera, waterproofing, and MAYBE great audio.

I am coming from an Exynos S6 which has Wolfson audio output ( awesome). 16mp wide angle camera (awesome). So so battery life. No microSD.

Halp

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

redeyes posted:

So I am trying to get off of Verizon and their goddamn gimped phones. Have an S7 which blows rear end. Audio output quality is rotten garbage. Curved screen is impossible to protect. I hate the goddamn phone.

I want to move to t-mobile and get a GSM phone. I want the *best* audio output and camera possible with microSD expansion. The rest is optional. I don't really care about screen size, don't care about processor as long as battery life is great. GPS must work well of course. Internets say the HTC 10 might be the ticket for badass audio. I've been looking at the Sony phones, the XZ series. People say the XZ has an awesome camera, waterproofing, and MAYBE great audio.

I am coming from an Exynos S6 which has Wolfson audio output ( awesome). 16mp wide angle camera (awesome). So so battery life. No microSD.

Halp

If you're going to T-Mobile and want those things then don't plan on buying the device from T-Mobile themselves, because they've got a habit of only offering iPhones and Samsung devices beyond like two or three months post device release unless it's some bargain bin piece of poo poo like an LG Stylo 2 or something. I can't really direct you on what to buy, just giving you the heads up to be prepared to buy it from the OEM/Amazon/Swappa and then just stick a T-Mobile sim card into the phone.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 23, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

atomicthumbs posted:

Cell phones take excellent photos, it's just the fixed wide angle lens that sucks.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

redeyes posted:

When you say *best*, what do you mean? Best built in speakers? A headphone amp that can drive high impedance headphones? A "high-end" name brand DAC (which is probably more of a marketing gimmick). Do you need 24-bit audio recording and playback? I mean, you could scour the internet for weeks trying to find reviews that measure THD, headphone amplifier output, noise (etc.) and pick the phone with the best test scores, but still end up with a mediocre phone. That being said, the HTC 10 is not a bad phone. If it goes on sale anytime soon it might be worth it. The ZTE Axon 7 is cheaper at less than 400 dollars and also tauts it's audio hardware.

Have you tried something like this app to tune the audio output? It works great with Play music and wired/bt headphones.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 23, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
By best I mean something comparable to the Galaxy S6/7 series for the rear camera. . just really good. The Sony XZ series has a 20mp camera which from downloading full res pictures looks great. For audio output, something that has really good bass reproduction, clear highs and mids, low noise. All I can say is the S6 has amazingly good audio output for my Velodyne vPulse IEMs. I also have an HTC One M8 which has similarly amazing audio. Meanwhile my Galaxy s7 has horrid garbage headphone out.

I don't care about speakers on the phone to be clear, just headphone out and my IEMs are not too hard to drive.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 23, 2017

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Can I ask what's with the hate for Oneplus devices in the thread title? Honestly curious; don't own one and have no stake in it really, just I've heard really good things before.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

Can I ask what's with the hate for Oneplus devices in the thread title? Honestly curious; don't own one and have no stake in it really, just I've heard really good things before.

Really awful pr (show us your tits to get an invite to purchase one), bad quality control and support (main thing I remember is the yellowing of parts of the displays, users not getting any support for it, and them finally updating the software to make the whole display yellower to hide the problem), spec sheeting for the sake of spec sheeting (6GB ram, but super aggressive memory clearing so it's impossible to use it). I'm sure a lot I'm forgetting. Their entire schtick is stuffing as much onto the spec sheet as they can and cheaping out on everything else so they can keep the price down.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a way to use the International version of the S8 (Enynos) on an american cell carrier? Is this stupid because certain things wont work?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
That's fair. So basically, if you get a good one, they're nice, but god help you if you don't?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Also they had or have bad screen lag when scrolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is it likely that anyone will get stock android running on an S8?