Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

GunnerJ posted:

For what it's worth, I looked around and unless it doesn't contain the word "robot" (or I hosed up :v: ), there's no existing modifier for those things. I am not sure how well trying to do what you want through pop growth modifiers will work but I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Looking around, what I need does in fact exist as far as I can tell. Robot pops are under their own categories in 00_buildable_pops, and they have their own growth rate defined at 1.0. I could even make them reproduce if I wanted to go that route.

Also, while looking, the synthetic ascension perk works by creating a new species at completion that just converts all of your dudes over to which are just the same as robots, but also different. Getting them to be affected by the tech growth bonus might be a little bit more weird.

Now I have to figure out 1. how to actually make a mod in this game and 2. how to change the species things directly and not just adjust existing modifiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A lot of ethos combos work better than others when it comes to factions.

Egalitarian and materialist play fine together. Egalitarian and xenophile work great too. But you get into silly problems with other combos, like egalitarian xenophobe, the factions aren't set up for them to make sense and I wish there were some alternative factios for combos like this. Like an egalitarian xenophobe's freedom faction should only agitate for the rights of your own species and be neutral on xeno's not having citizenship rights. The current egalitarian faction is explicitly xenophile. Every ethos combo should have factions that work, conflicts should only really come from non-state ethos. There's also too much overlap right now between the xenophile faction and egalitarian faction, they both want things that relate to the other's demands.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Bloodly posted:

Also the Materialists. They know the dangers of Sentient AI and will tell you to STOP. Though that may have changed. If the AI Rebellion now keys off a different tech, maybe their reaction does the same?

They don't really care anymore. You get an opinion penalty with them (- 40 I believe) for pursuing AI robotics, but nothing beyond that, even if you ascend into being a robot yourself. I believe they still can intervene in an AI rebellion tho.

Spiritalist will go berserk at you for pursuing AI, repeatedly.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

As an aside I love love LOVE the spacesuit parrot portrait. Their beady little eyes seethe with hate and they look like they're perpetually a second away from incomprehensible screeching. I like to use them as fanatic xenophobes because I imagine them just screaming "HAAAAAAAAAAATE" over the communicator.
Polly want cracking skulls!

The early bird... :v:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is stopping at Cyborgs instead of fully pursuing Sythetics just limiting myself? From a power-gamey perspective I mean.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Decrepus posted:

Is stopping at Cyborgs instead of fully pursuing Sythetics just limiting myself? From a power-gamey perspective I mean.

Honestly Cyborgs might actually be better. you keep whatever biological traits you had before, and your admirals are better, and your pops still grow automatically instead of being built. This might not be quite as good as synthetics, but also you don't spend another ascension perk, and you don't get extreme hate from many empires, just spiritualist ones.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

TacMan posted:

Honestly Cyborgs might actually be better. you keep whatever biological traits you had before, and your admirals are better, and your pops still grow automatically instead of being built. This might not be quite as good as synthetics, but also you don't spend another ascension perk, and you don't get extreme hate from many empires, just spiritualist ones.

not to mention you can still build normal synthetics and get them in your leader pool for when you want those bonuses

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Decrepus posted:

Staying as a cyborg then going biological ascension is probably better in the medium to long term.

The only major advantages of going full synthetic are habitability bonuses and immortal leaders.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A Tartan Tory posted:

Staying as a cyborg then going biological ascension is probably better in the medium to long term.

The only major advantages of going full synthetic are habitability bonuses and immortal leaders.

Can't go bio since getting the flesh is weak locks out psychic and bio paths.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So I got it to work, now just to figure out how the gently caress this modifier is multiplying since that's the third different value I've seen:

The way it works is that robots are unique pop types that are triggered by technologies with set parameters. They auto-upgrade on specific tech unlocks, while your ascended pops are a different type that aren't specifically connected. Instead of modifying growth rate I had to make 4-6 new pop types that slotted into the game once you hit the right tech, which I will probably make a rare tech that comes kinda late. For testing its a starting tech.

I'm also contemplating a tier 4 robot type that merges the existing synths and your ascended pops, so that they all fit into one category. They will also probably have additional bonuses but higher costs. This gives more incentive to finish ascension instead of staying at Cyborg. Also going to swap the Cyborg and Synth admiral traits.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 22, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think it would be neat if there was a step between cyborg and going full synthetic. Kind of like a brain cloud people can upload to when they die but keep your regular fleshy pops around. Maybe just make the step give your synthetic an extra trait like 'organic origins' that gives some additional bonuses.

You could just click a regular pop.and pay an energy cost to convert them to a synth.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wish there was a civic pick for starting on a tomb world. Post-apocalyptic or something where you are the irradiated remains of a species who failed but somehow managed to cling on to life and figure out FTL. Either go with trying to restore your homeworld to a lush whatever type or turn the galaxy into a graveyard to thrive in.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Wiz, please make an Earth pre-FTL that has syncretic evolution with a chimp race dominating enslaved humans

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Poil posted:

Polly want cracking skulls!

The early bird... :v:

Polly wants a ₱Ⱡ₳₦Ɇ₮ ₵Ɽ₳₵₭ɆⱤ

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Wiz, please make an Earth pre-FTL that has syncretic evolution with a chimp race dominating enslaved humans

Amazing idea

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Are species submissions for the goon mod still open? Because I'm still kind of embarrassed that my weird mod messed up one of my entries, so I made four new ones to replace the dud:

SPECIES SUBMISSION

Vedic Empire

The Vedic Empire of the Vritrae is space dragons. As cliché as I could make it: They're venerable, because dragons live for a long time, they're aristocratic assholes, super-aggressive, solitary and so on. They're also lazy, so they had this weird idea of making themselves artificial servants. Coincidentally, even though there aren't that many Vritrae, they made enough of those servants you will start the game with the exact number of pops like any other empire. Just that four of them will be robots. Crazy, right?

They and their lore are based on some Indian rear end in a top hat-god who took the form of a dragon, only to be punched so hard by another god he destroyed eight fortresses as he fell down. Or something. Indian legends are kind of awesome, but so batshit insane it's hard to remember the details. Anyway, do you think dragons are awesome? Do you think Vishnu and his cohorts should loving die? Then this is the empire for you.

The name list is from Cybrxkhan's name list mod, but otherwise everything is just normal standard crap.

Vritrae Code

(Yes, I finally made a pastebin-account to prevent giant walls of text.) :v:

Manifold of Power

After reviewing all the poo poo I made, I noticed how I prefer to make tons of materialist egalitarians, so I went hard against my preferences with this one. The Lyven are deep sea creatures from an ocean world. They're non-adaptive and squishy, since their bodies really can't work outside the deep sea. Worlds without an ocean are a real pain to colonize, at least as long as a Lyv doesn't want its body to violently explode into a cloud of slime.

The Lyven generally are stubborn little fuckers, who looked at a deep, dark and cold world without fire, then back at their tiny, useless tentacles and went "gently caress YOU, universe". Using underwater-volcanoes as forges, they slowly overcame every obstacle and built a technological society. They are deeply spiritual creatures with thousands of gods. Coincidentally, what they call gods we would call prankster-spirits: Most of the Lyven religious myths revolve around evil little gods trying to stop them from building things.

With that hostile attitude to everything outside their own society you may understand why others would call them xenophobes.

There are no additions here, everything is standard. (Wait, are there five or six Molluscoid name lists? Cybrxkhan's mod adds so many new lists I kind of forgot what the standard number was. Anyway, as long as this species isn't the only one added from this pile, there should be no problems.)

Lyven Code

Udinogh

Another hive mind, just to spice things up (also after paying for the plantoid pack, I kind of went on a binge of making plantoid species, this is one of them). The Udinogh is just one, giant planet-spanning brain. A moss brain. It basically developed from weird alien moss sprouting roots throughout an odd arctic planet. When it became sapient, it also became curious. It wanted to see what was beyond this strange dark ceiling above it.

It uses its short-lived drones to do everything a normal society would do, but don't be fooled: Those walking things are actually just sensory and tactile organs grown by the Udinogh. Even with billions of drones covering planet Udin, there's only one person there: Udinogh.

Everything standard here. There's not even a question about it this time.

A nice hive mind: Udinogh Code

Lanic Imperium

The Shrya are the last ones for now. This empire is very similar to the one I started playing after Utopia dropped and is in fact the one I'm planning to play soon in my "Galactic Desert"-style game with 25% of the normal planet number. The few other empires in that game will all be advanced starts, just because otherwise it just wouldn't be fair. Anyway, back on topic:

Poil posted:

I wish there was a civic pick for starting on a tomb world. Post-apocalyptic or something where you are the irradiated remains of a species who failed but somehow managed to cling on to life and figure out FTL. Either go with trying to restore your homeworld to a lush whatever type or turn the galaxy into a graveyard to thrive in.

is something I thought many times, and for some reason I tend to make cats the poor bastards who have to survive an apocalypse before I allow them to get to the space age. In this case, a perfectly normal continental planet got hit by an asteroid, which shoved the planet on a new orbit and evaporated most of the water. Now planet Viri is an arid hellscape and the Shrya had to change their bodies to survive on their changed world.

The twist: The asteroid came down on the eve of nuclear war and wiped out all nations, thus preventing the Shrya from annihilating themselves. Their leader title is named after the mountain at the equator where the two groups of survivors reunited, after they had slowly reclaimed their world back from the great forests covering the two poles.

They may be thousands of years late, but they finally made it into space!

This mod uses a name list from Cybrxkhan's name list mod and the Cat dimorphism mod. Luckily the last one is purely cosmetic. In fact, if you go without the second mod, you will soon realize that you're playing the Killrathi of an alternate universe where they never got to be their cruel, militarist selves because a giant loving rock hit them and destroyed all that. Now they're peaceful scientists. The Anti-Killrathi. There's some comedic value in that.

Cats in Space Code

Libluini fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 22, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
For anyone who wants to get ambitious its not terribly difficult to build custom starting systems for your dudes with genuinely interesting planets and stuff. Making a goon empire tomb world race would be pretty easy

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Can't go bio since getting the flesh is weak locks out psychic and bio paths.

I forgot people don't play with mods, why would you do that to yourself?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

A Tartan Tory posted:

"take all of the choices simultaneously" is one of the platonic forms of a Bad Mod imo

(the others are Your Game Now Contains Anime and Your Game Now Contains Hitler)

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

GlyphGryph posted:

For anyone who wants to get ambitious its not terribly difficult to build custom starting systems for your dudes with genuinely interesting planets and stuff. Making a goon empire tomb world race would be pretty easy

Is there a YouTube video or post that goes through how to do this? I am completely hopeless at modding, but I can follow instructions like a boss!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

A Tartan Tory posted:

A mod that lets do anything you want and removes all the drawbacks isn't really a mod it's more like a cheat code that you downloaded instead of typed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

GlyphGryph posted:

I thought that always automatically made the homeworld a suitable one. Is that not the case?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Progress so far so good.

Right now the original pops are replaced when you get that tech with a 20% cheaper to produce and a 4/8/12 month reduction in build time. What really happens is I hide the original robot pops and replace them with the new ones when in the build menu.

EDIT: Might've fixed the two bugs actually.

Next up is the tier 5 robot that merges everything together and then fixing the cyborg/synth admirals.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 23, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I am going to start a new game tomorrow, what are the current must-have (or very-cool-to-have anyway) mods for 1.5.1?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm kind of sad that I can't blow up this Dyson sphere since the game told me it's going to obliterate one of my people's favorite constellations :smith:

I mean I get why, if they could be blown up it would be a major point against ever making megastructures and also the ai would probably super prioritize them but... Still.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

TorakFade posted:

I am going to start a new game tomorrow, what are the current must-have (or very-cool-to-have anyway) mods for 1.5.1?

I'd like some recommendations as well, I've never used a mod for this game ever so it might be fun.

In particular if there's anything that for gene modding or letting ascended synthetic empires convert other species into synths, because I like both biological and synthetic ascensions but right now they each have issues that make them annoying or even unusable.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I got an anomaly event that gave me the choice between getting an alien mining station or scrapping it for resources. I chose the former, since the event specifically said that the mining station would belong to me...And the station immediately went neutral since it was outside my borders, so I got zero benefit for it. That's kind of a trap option, isn't it?

Honestly, I've seen that problem with some of the other events that spawn things too - it's often unclear what exactly one of the options are going to do.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I like the events/anomolies that are like "hey we will give a whole nother step, imply that it will take time and effort, and not tell you what the reward is. Also it may be guarded by a neutral fleet you can't possibly beat at this early stage, or even inside another empire's closed borders so you may not get the reward for 20 years/ever.........

.... OR you can have a lump sum of minerals equally to twice your annual surplus right now. You know if that interests you I guess."

Like lol who wrote those events?????

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
To kind of expand on what I said in my last post, I'm noticing that biological ascension is pretty crap (especially if you're not a fanatically authoritarian xenophobe) for the following reasons:

- Half of the unique traits you get are only useful for slaves.
- All of the unique traits are weaker and more limited than what you get from psionic or synthetic paths.
- The whole concept of tailoring different species to be good at some specific doesn't work if you can't restrict them to the tiles that produce what they're good at.
- One of the techs that gives you an extra trait point is 90% less likely to come up if you're an egalitarian.
- Unless the species you're modifying resides exclusively within your own borders, you're going to end up with multiple near-identical species of the same name all over the drat place.

I like that it's basically a "safe" option that anyone can take, but it's a micromanagement hell and requires an almost psychotic level of totalitarianism.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Well it's cool that for the first time almost a year since release that I managed to finish the precursor stuff but turns out the revealed system is in the closed borders of a civ that hates my guts and is way stronger than me so I guess I'm never gonna see what the point of that was.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Holy poo poo is the black hole system named "Blorg's Bane" new? I've never seen it before :laffo:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Mister Adequate posted:

Holy poo poo is the black hole system named "Blorg's Bane" new? I've never seen it before :laffo:

it seems to appear in every game I play

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jabarto posted:

To kind of expand on what I said in my last post, I'm noticing that biological ascension is pretty crap (especially if you're not a fanatically authoritarian xenophobe) for the following reasons:

- All of the unique traits are weaker and more limited than what you get from psionic or synthetic paths.
- The whole concept of tailoring different species to be good at some specific doesn't work if you can't restrict them to the tiles that produce what they're good at.
- One of the techs that gives you an extra trait point is 90% less likely to come up if you're an egalitarian.
- Unless the species you're modifying resides exclusively within your own borders, you're going to end up with multiple near-identical species of the same name all over the drat place.

I like that it's basically a "safe" option that anyone can take, but it's a micromanagement hell and requires an almost psychotic level of totalitarianism.

These were my concerns when the dev diary dropped. I really really hoped they had planned to couple all this genetic engineering with better species management and automatic pop sorting that shuffled everyone on a planet around every few months or what ever to optimize things so you didn't have to. But they didn't, it's just way more traits and micro tacked onto the same old system with nothing improved :(

I also assumed if you went full synthetic obviously your pops would auto-grow or there's be some automatic way to auto-fill your planets. Nope :(

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Jabarto posted:

You're using Gene Modding wrong. I mean, yes, it could be more interesting if the management tools were there to handle but the true power of Gene Modding is designing entire planets around a modded enclave. Build a research planet and then mod all the population on the planet to pump out research. Yeah, could it be better if you had a energy gene modded pop to fill your planetary administration building and maybe something else for unity boosters or other non-research buildings, but on the whole you can easily manage a huge research boost on each planet you've got dedicated to that. Same with Energy, Minerals, and Food.

You can do something similar with leadership, take a single planet you've not specialized and add talented, venerable, and so whatever else you can afford then set just that population to full citizenship and everyone else to residence. Assuming the 5% happiness penalty isn't a problem you've not only created a race that gives you amazing leaders, but you've shifted the rest of your population to use 10% less minerals.

The benefit from going biological is you've got the trait points to make that happen. Between the extra trait points and cost reduction the sky is the limit as long as you can be a bit less spergy on the details.

If you are playing a more peaceful and xenophile game then you are kinda screwed and the whole system can break down easy if you don't lock down migration.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Jabarto posted:

I'd like some recommendations as well, I've never used a mod for this game ever so it might be fun.

In particular if there's anything that for gene modding or letting ascended synthetic empires convert other species into synths, because I like both biological and synthetic ascensions but right now they each have issues that make them annoying or even unusable.

Baronjutter posted:

These were my concerns when the dev diary dropped. I really really hoped they had planned to couple all this genetic engineering with better species management and automatic pop sorting that shuffled everyone on a planet around every few months or what ever to optimize things so you didn't have to. But they didn't, it's just way more traits and micro tacked onto the same old system with nothing improved :(

I also assumed if you went full synthetic obviously your pops would auto-grow or there's be some automatic way to auto-fill your planets. Nope :(

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=901045072

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm in an odd position here.

Two Fallen Empires woke up, one of them took me over, and then they went to war. As this was going on, a lovely little empire I had defeated and cut off in the early game, the Glyrrans, declared war on me, so I beat them and forced their lone expansion to become independent. Apparently, in doing this I guaranteed the independence of the offshoot. The Hazar Zealots, the FE that patronised me, has declared war on the Glyrran expansion, and by extension me (they did this in the middle of their war with the other FE, for some reason). BUT I am still considered a dependent on them; I can't (for example) tell the Glyrrans to get hosed, because I'm not independent (though the tithe went away, at least).

The Glyrran war goals are to liberate me, and humiliate the Hazar. The Hazar war goals are to take a bunch of my planets and do nothing at all to the Glyrrans. I am still considered part of the Hazar dominion, and they have a pretty high opinion of me.

BTW the other FE's grand fleet is attacking the main Hazar fleet AS THIS HAPPENS.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 23, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've heard countless stories like that. War in heaven can totally break diplomacy and guarantees and vassals can send you into a loop of wars against your master and allies.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

In the game I'm playing the Unbidden arrived, were destroyed and then after some years the Xenophiles woke up to save us. I immediately invited them into my federation and have now for the first time ever someone who actually does any work.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm getting negative warscore because my enemies the Hazar are getting loving killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I uploaded everyone into synth bodies, which is great. However, my neighbour empires keep sending migrants which I cannot upload, I can't even give them cybernetics any more when I gene mod then :saddowns:

• Locked thread