Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Snowy posted:

If I was looking for something more about stories, are there good options in board gaming or is that really just a pen n paper kind of thing? Something that had fun stories and characters but didn't take the time investment of D&D would be cool.

There are, but they're all different enough where you might not get what you want if you just go in saying "I want to tell stories". Here's a few off the top of my head that you might want to look into, other people will definitely have more ideas though.

• The Quiet Year - The game is just a deck of cards and a very small rulebook, by the designer of some indie tabletop darlings. A full game takes probably ~3 hours. You start by drawing a rough, abstract map of a region (each person draws one Thing, like a few trees for a forest, or the entrance to a mine) and then you take turns drawing a card from the top of the deck that, based on the current Season, asks you to make one of two decisions for the region. Your region is visited yearly by some sort of event, maybe a band of marauders, maybe a natural disaster, maybe aliens, whatever your group decides. Eventually you draw the last card of the year which represents that event occurring again ends the game and wraps up the story. Very unique, very "macro-level" since the players aren't specific characters but instead basically the region's ruling council.

• Tales of the Arabian Nights - Basically on the complete other end of the spectrum, you have the gorgeous grandiose board and an enormous Book of Tales which is like a thousand-page Choose Your Own Adventure thing. Players take turns wandering around aimlessly encountering events which you choose how you're going to interact with and then consulting the Book of Tales to see what happens to you. Maybe you Fight the lion, or maybe you Run from it, or maybe you Enter it(???). The game can be pretty funny but note that "game" here is used very loosely; there's technically a scoring system but it's basically there so the thing can be marketed to board gamers. It's very arbitrary since a lot of times it isn't obvious what your action will actually do - maybe Running from the lion leaves you exhausted but otherwise fine, or maybe the lion chases you and maims you, or maybe while running you trip over a magic lamp and the djinn inside comes out and murders the lion and also changes you from a woman into a man for some reason.

• Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective - This is more of a story-driven game than it is an avenue for No Strings Attached roleplaying, but I saw it while glancing at my shelf and it's vaguely related and proves my point about this being a broad group so I'm including it! gently caress you!!! Anyway like Tales of the Arabian Nights the game comes with a beautiful board - in this case a map of London - and a booklet of events, but instead of there being a single huge book there are ten "cases" (yes this means the game has limited plays baked into it, but it's like $30 and each case is an evening of very unique fun for a whole group so it's a pretty insane value). Each case has a fold-out newspaper, a case briefing, and maybe some other stuff I can't remember, and each player is trying to solve the included mystery ideally better and faster than Holmes but almost certainly not and you get to feel like a huge idiot at the end in the best way possible. I don't want to explain much more since it gets kinda spoiler-y at that point and obviously that's bad for a game about solving mysteries, but look it up on Shut Up and Sit Down if this sounds interesting.

• Spyfall - Humor-driven roleplaying game where one player is a spy trying to figure out where the hell he is and everyone else tries to figure out who the spy is without actually helping the spy figure anything out. You're dealt a card with your identity - it'll either list a location and a role like "School, Teacher" or "Carnival, Lion Tamer" (why do I keep mentioning lions) or just "Spy" - and players take turns asking each other whatever questions they like to figure out who at the table can be trusted. But if the Spy figures out what the location is then they can immediately oust themselves as the Spy and guess, and if they're right they get a boatload of points. Leads to things like a bank robber asking someone using the ATM if they remembered their mask, or a CEO's secretary asking the spy how many drinks it takes him to get through the work day.

There's others but I'll let other people chime in. There's also a pretty huge number of indie RPGs these days which are explicitly tailored to low-commitment games but they're still very much RPGs and don't really come with prepackaged ideas in the same way a board game does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Agreed with all of this. That said, it's NOT a difficult game. There's just a lot going on at once.

I am down to play tonight as long as we finish the game in one sitting

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thank you again guys those tips are great!! Going to look into those all and thanks countblanc for the descriptions :hellyeah:

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Mojo Jojo posted:

Despite looking terrible during the kickstarter and all the updates maintaining that the early impressions are largely positive. It's a Christmas miracle

It's had at least one high-profile bad review: http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/21/15382634/dark-souls-the-board-game-review

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

TWO high profile bad reviews: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1767305/welp-tom-vasal-panned-game

Of course that man's opinion counts about as much as Rutibex's when it comes to any sort of critical thinking. But he sure does have a stupid, stupid fanbase.

VVV Entirely fair.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 22, 2017

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

GrandpaPants posted:

But he sure does have a stupid, stupid fanbase.

The same could be said about Dark Souls fans.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Is there a good place for Aussies to buy boardgames online? Because hmn some of those prices I see in shops are a bit exorbitant

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

Is there a good place for Aussies to buy boardgames online? Because hmn some of those prices I see in shops are a bit exorbitant

My usual method is to buy in the states and have a friend carry it back. If you have friends that travel a lot it's a good strategy.

Otherwise it really sucks! There's like a 30% markup basically because getting games shipped here sucks for everyone (even retailers). Often your best bet is to get in on a kickstarter or something where they're going to be bulk-shipping a whole lot of copies down here anyway.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm up for a game too.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Entering hour 2 of this game of Joking Hazard. Send help

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

angel opportunity posted:

This is not what you guys asked for when you said you wanted a video teaching the rules to FCM, but I'm doing it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtYMt_0Opg4

Turn 3 I like Waitress (takes away a simple salary payment option), Errand Boy, Marketing Trainee. You can train Campaign Manager to steal a marketing milestone and place a 1-turn mailbox for #8 and #15, or just upgrade a manager as you did. My other choice would be Errand Boy x2 (1 becomes Cart Operator), Marketing Trainee - lets you share the freezer in exchange for possibly sharing First Waitress. In any case I think Pricing Manager is pointless, just get one next turn. Even at your $8 he only needs one discount to sell to #10. Maybe I'm wrong here and you don't get enough pressure by waiting.

Turn 4 Errand Boy is premature, he's actually likely to advertise food to take a marketing milestone and even if it is drinks, that Errand Boy won't be needed until Turn 6 (so you can get it turn 5), get a Management Trainee maybe. You should check the reserve cards once you hit $20, though since you put the $300 you know it's 4 slots.

Turn 5 I assume you're about to say this, but playing Errand Boy is essential for your hard-squeeze approach.

Turn 6 Keeping up the squeeze is very costly, I'd probably concede the 1-demand houses as stealing #10 required playing Errand Boy and 2 Pricing Managers and Waitress and then can still lose on turn order if he goes for it too. Audio cut out here so couldn't finish, but looks like you decided that way anyway - still played the Errand Boy for some reason. If you play only the Waitress as a compromise, you could at least steal #12 if he doesn't play his or you go first (and if played instead of Errand Boy, that lets #15 sit there which is still fine).

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

This website searches the most common retailers and lists by price: http://www.boardgamesearch.com.au/

I use Ozgameshop a lot, they are UK based and postage is cheap or free. Unfortunately they don't stock a lot of obscure games but see how you go.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

boardgamesearch.com.au is a pretty good aggregator.

Do not buy from Games Paradise online. Their bricks and mortar store is fine, their online one is loving appalling.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

dishwasherlove posted:

This website searches the most common retailers and lists by price: http://www.boardgamesearch.com.au/

I use Ozgameshop a lot, they are UK based and postage is cheap or free. Unfortunately they don't stock a lot of obscure games but see how you go.

Hey thanks, thats some good advice.

How about brick and mortar retail places (I'm in melbourne). There's the ubiquitous Mindgames, but can anyone recommend anywhere great to check out?

Played Coup last night and had a boozy good time, although I'm goddamn terrible at it on account of my terrible lying.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
unhalfbricking has a limited range, but is consistently the cheapest, and frequently travels to melbourne so if you time it right you can save on shipping.

Alternatively, ozgameshop tend to be unbeatable on price.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Is anyone playing FCM tonight?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

rchandra posted:

Turn 3 I like Waitress (takes away a simple salary payment option), Errand Boy, Marketing Trainee. You can train Campaign Manager to steal a marketing milestone and place a 1-turn mailbox for #8 and #15, or just upgrade a manager as you did. My other choice would be Errand Boy x2 (1 becomes Cart Operator), Marketing Trainee - lets you share the freezer in exchange for possibly sharing First Waitress. In any case I think Pricing Manager is pointless, just get one next turn. Even at your $8 he only needs one discount to sell to #10. Maybe I'm wrong here and you don't get enough pressure by waiting.

Turn 4 Errand Boy is premature, he's actually likely to advertise food to take a marketing milestone and even if it is drinks, that Errand Boy won't be needed until Turn 6 (so you can get it turn 5), get a Management Trainee maybe. You should check the reserve cards once you hit $20, though since you put the $300 you know it's 4 slots.

Turn 5 I assume you're about to say this, but playing Errand Boy is essential for your hard-squeeze approach.

Turn 6 Keeping up the squeeze is very costly, I'd probably concede the 1-demand houses as stealing #10 required playing Errand Boy and 2 Pricing Managers and Waitress and then can still lose on turn order if he goes for it too. Audio cut out here so couldn't finish, but looks like you decided that way anyway - still played the Errand Boy for some reason. If you play only the Waitress as a compromise, you could at least steal #12 if he doesn't play his or you go first (and if played instead of Errand Boy, that lets #15 sit there which is still fine).

I agree with most of these. I definitely misplayed at a few points. I ended up going luxury manager and beating him by putting down food demand on new garden houses he couldn't supply to. I did give up the "squeeze" when I realized it would mean price warring too hard. If I hadn't hosed up and forgotten my drink production on that one turn, I may have been able to starve him out much harder, but considering I gave him $30, the luxury manager thing ended up being a lot stronger.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Could I get some game recommendations, please? I want a game I can play with my brother. He really likes Magic, and I don't. He also has kids, so he's too poor to keep buying booster packs now. I am working to convert his family to play games that aren't the Oregon Trail Card Game, so I got them Ticket to Ride and Survive! Escape from Atlantis, and they were both hits. I want to get him into something more serious. His oldest is 16, so it would also be cool if he could play with us.

I guess what we're looking for is:
A fair amount of interactivity. He's my brother, we're used to destroying each other.
Play time ideally an hour or less.
A game that's easy to pick up, with a lot of depth you can discover.
Buy it once and that's all you have to do, or at least minimal and cheap expansions. (The Tash-Kalar and Mage Wars expansion decks, for instance, think I could talk him into getting a couple, once we figure out our styles of play)
High variability would be nice, multiple factions, variable setup, etc.
Variable player count would be great, but not essential.
He's colorblind, so friendly design is non-negotiable.

Am I asking too much?

Games I'm thinking of suggesting

Tash-Kalar
Mage Wars
Doomtown Reloaded. Yes, it's an LCG, but it looks like the base game might be enough to keep us satisfied? The theme and poker aspects seem right up his alley.
X Wing Miniatures. See above?
I have Aeon's End, which I enjoy, and you don't get more variable than that.

Anyone have any thoughts?

El Fideo fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 23, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Dominion sounds like what you're after. 2-4, plays quickly, variable setup, lots of depth but easy to learn the basics.

It has *lots* of expansions, but they're very optional. Any combination of the base set + 1 or 2 expansions is probably better than most other games.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Commonshore and I are going to start a FCM game in 10-15 mins. If anyone wants to jump in post your BGC name here and/or PM me your skype name

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Jabor posted:

Dominion sounds like what you're after. 2-4, plays quickly, variable setup, lots of depth but easy to learn the basics.

It has *lots* of expansions, but they're very optional. Any combination of the base set + 1 or 2 expansions is probably better than most other games.

I have to admit, I'm one of those people that thinks Dominion is a very respectable, and very unexciting game. Maybe I just need to play it some more.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

El Fideo posted:

Tash-Kalar
Mage Wars
Doomtown Reloaded. Yes, it's an LCG, but it looks like the base game might be enough to keep us satisfied? The theme and poker aspects seem right up his alley.

Definitely not X Wing. That is a giant money pit.

Have you looked at Kemet (3+ players only) or Inis (2-4 players)? They are both highly interactive and self contained.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Does Inis really work for two? Drafting with two players sort of becomes a really different game, in my experience. I'll definitely be bringing my copy of Kemet around, when we do have the youngster.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

El Fideo posted:

Does Inis really work for two? Drafting with two players sort of becomes a really different game, in my experience. I'll definitely be bringing my copy of Kemet around, when we do have the youngster.

Inis works really well 2 player. I've seen it argued that it's best at that player count, but you are right that it has a different feel from 3 or 4 player.

Make sure you read one of the effort posts on the game in this thread, some people don't play it properly (misunderstanding the importance of deeds and passing, mostly) and the game takes three times as long as it should.

Another really good dudes on a map for 2 players is Forbidden Stars.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

El Fideo posted:

Inis has a super small card pool (only 13 cards in 2-player), and one card is set aside before you draft. The two-player rule change in Inis for the draft is that you draft hands of three cards twice, meaning you get to do the "first pick" part of the draft twice. Knowing that one card is set aside gives JUST enough of a question mark to make the fact that you got two "first picks" very interesting. If a really key card is set aside, your opponent got two "first picks," which means that there is a 1/3 chance the card you are worried about is set aside. That is enough of a chance that you can't just play as if it's off the table.

2-player Inis also has the advantage of zero negotiation. My biggest (and only) complaint about Inis at 3 or 4-player is the fact that there is so much negotiation. If one player grabs a pretender token in 4-player, and everyone else is looking at the situation of: "Either we negotiate to stop the pretender, or we all simply lose and hand the game to him," there is no choice really--you must negotiate. Inis makes negotiation (a mechanic I usually hate) as fun as it can be, but I still prefer 2-player because there is none of that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

El Fideo posted:

Games I'm thinking of suggesting

Tash-Kalar
Mage Wars

Tash-Kalar and Mage Wars are both fine for what you want, but I don't think Tash-Kalar has the specific kind of replayability you're looking for re: individual faction depth. What I mean by that is that there is a lot to the game, but you don't get to customize your deck in the same way that you do with something like Magic. That being said, the factions do play very differently from one another, and there are two faction expansions out already with another time-wizard themed one on the way at some point. Mage Wars will routinely take longer than an hour to play, though. If you want something similar but faster, check out Mage Wars: Academy.

Doomtown Reloaded is dead. I don't know if they've finished the current expansion cycle or not, but when they do, it's done. X-Wing is potentially a huge money sink, like another poster pointed out, thanks to the way they package their upgrade cards. If you don't care about that, though, then go for it.

Personally I would feel pretty good suggesting BattleCON: Devastation of Indines for when you guys are just playing against each other, or if he wants to play it with his oldest. It will take you guys forever to chew through all the content in that game, and even once you've seen it all, the large number of characters keeps things fresh. You don't need to pick up any of the other boxes for it unless you just really end up loving the game.

Kemet's definitely a good suggestion though.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucG5EwX72hI

I checked and the audio doesn't cut out this time. I also fixed the weird resolution issue so it doesn't look as lovely. This was a game against Commonshore that I played tonight.

I'm moving on Friday to another state so I won't have too many up, but I do want to try to keep doing these.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Seconding one of the BattleCON boxes. One of the best two-player games to explore with a friend, and matches are definitely quicker than an hour, even with bad analysis paralysis.

Read the OP of this thread, if you want to be sold on the game.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Countblanc posted:

There are, but they're all different enough where you might not get what you want if you just go in saying "I want to tell stories". Here's a few off the top of my head that you might want to look into, other people will definitely have more ideas though.

[list][*]The Quiet Year - The game is just a deck of cards and a very small rulebook, by the designer of some indie tabletop darlings. A full game takes probably ~3 hours. You start by drawing a rough, abstract map of a region (each person draws one Thing, like a few trees for a forest, or the entrance to a mine) and then you take turns drawing a card from the top of the deck that, based on the current Season, asks you to make one of two decisions for the region. Your region is visited yearly by some sort of event, maybe a band of marauders, maybe a natural disaster, maybe aliens, whatever your group decides. Eventually you draw the last card of the year which represents that event occurring again ends the game and wraps up the story. Very unique, very "macro-level" since the players aren't specific characters but instead basically the region's ruling council.

3 hours is on the longside for a game of the quiet year. The rules specify that generally discussions and descriptions all need to very curt. In my experience it's a bit of ultimately unsatisfying fun to fill an hour

I think the key issue is that you always draw all the cards outside of the last season. So all that varies is the order (and which of the two options you take). For me it just needed a little more depth to pin compelling stories too

But it's a few dollars as I remember, so give it a shot

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Battlecon has a print and play you can check things out with. I thought it was clever as hell but no one agreed so v:shobon:v

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I hadn't realized battleCON had a print and play! That makes it top of the list to try out.

Tash-Kalar is still a maybe, the replayability would come more from us developing skills together than from variety. X wing is out. If it's not really playable with just the starter packs(or two of them) then it's a no go. Doomtown being dead, on the other hand, might make it more suitable, if we move on it quickly, while people are dumping stock. Mage Wars Academy might be a better fit than Arena, yeah. Sometimes lighter just means streamlined. I linked my brother the SU&SD review of Inis, since, silly opinions aside, Quinns and Paul are still the best at getting people hyped up for a game.

I imagine we'll go with one or two of these, and I know he's doing some research on his own. You guys are super helpful, so mahalo!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

S.J. posted:

Doomtown Reloaded is dead. I don't know if they've finished the current expansion cycle or not, but when they do, it's done.

Doomtown Reloaded made its Harrowed pull. Pine Box Entertainment will be continuing releases.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

El Fideo posted:

I hadn't realized battleCON had a print and play! That makes it top of the list to try out.

Tash-Kalar is still a maybe, the replayability would come more from us developing skills together than from variety. X wing is out. If it's not really playable with just the starter packs(or two of them) then it's a no go. Doomtown being dead, on the other hand, might make it more suitable, if we move on it quickly, while people are dumping stock. Mage Wars Academy might be a better fit than Arena, yeah. Sometimes lighter just means streamlined. I linked my brother the SU&SD review of Inis, since, silly opinions aside, Quinns and Paul are still the best at getting people hyped up for a game.

I imagine we'll go with one or two of these, and I know he's doing some research on his own. You guys are super helpful, so mahalo!
If he likes Magic he might like Codex as well. I personally dislike Magic but like Codex, ymmv

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

To elaborate, Codex is a mix of Magic, Hearthstone, Mage Wars and Dominion with a video game RTS theme. It has 6 different colours, each colour has three sub-themes (for example, black has Demons, Undead and Disease) and you basically draft your deck throughout the game so that you can react to what your opponent is doing. You can also mix and match colours/sub-themes as you wish, there's a lot of repliability on board even if you play mini-colour decks.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Seconding the Codex recommendation. And look at Pixel Tactics for something lighter and quick to play.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

A lot of people don't care for it here, but Seasons has some similarities with Magic, might be worth watching a video playthrough.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
You can also play it on BGA. I recommend it (but I know many others don't)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Went to board game day, had some filler going but mostly played two big games.

Big Game #1 was teaching Vast the Crystal Cavern. We had five people and I played the Cave to handicap myself. I think in that case I need to encourage the Thief to steal from the Dragon a little because it's basically that and Soporific Spores that keep the Dragon stalled out.

Dragon didn't win, only because right after they surfaced they drew every claw and no wings. Knight took them out. Knight was on three HP, Thief on four treasures, and I had two-three tiles left. It went over pretty well, even though the shifting nature of alliances wasn't to some people's liking.

Big Game #2 was A Feast for Odin, played with four people, the A and B decks, and a slight variant on occupation cards that goes about like this:

Three starter cards (pick one), basically two plus one per extra deck.

An offer of three occupation cards (same as the number of starter cards). When you draw an occupation card, draw it from the deck as normal, but after you've looked at the card, you can place it in the offer to take one of the cards there.

If a card stays in the offer for an entire round, it gets a silver at the start of the next round, which you get when you take the card. (New cards can be placed on their side to help you remember.)

The offer made it possible for people to build up pretty neat combos, and cards rarely sat there for more than even one full round. I ended up winning through a combination of Adventurer and Seafarer to get three islands in a four-player game, Chronicler to use the flax bonus from Faroe Islands, and Proficient Hunter, Deerstalker, and Taster to get stuff to convert into bonus spices since I was under pretty much no pressure to fill up my main board.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Tekopo posted:

To elaborate, Codex is a mix of Magic, Hearthstone, Mage Wars and Dominion with a video game RTS theme. It has 6 different colours, each colour has three sub-themes (for example, black has Demons, Undead and Disease) and you basically draft your deck throughout the game so that you can react to what your opponent is doing. You can also mix and match colours/sub-themes as you wish, there's a lot of repliability on board even if you play mini-colour decks.

Codex is one of my favorite games of the past year, and one of my go-to 2-player games.

It's also, at a conservative estimate, $155 for all the cards, before taxes. (That's assuming you purchase the individual boxes and not the Deluxe set.) And unlike BattleCON, where you can get a lot of game out of one box alone, Codex kinda begs for a complete set in order to really shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

angel opportunity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucG5EwX72hI

I checked and the audio doesn't cut out this time. I also fixed the weird resolution issue so it doesn't look as lovely. This was a game against Commonshore that I played tonight.

I'm moving on Friday to another state so I won't have too many up, but I do want to try to keep doing these.

To hear your first-turn logic was interesting. I had initially decided that to go with the Guru->Radio opening but then you went first and chose Trainer, so I went for a Recruiting Girl strategy instead, because I was worried that it would become a race to the 1x, which you would win.