Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think 5D's and the whole "we made our show about ancient magic, and cults. Oops, one of the biggest controversies atm is about a big-rear end cult" scared them off of ancient magic, so we're just gonna be turning to hard sci-fi for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

Which is weird because 5Ds was originally supposed to be Sentai-themed.

If you have the opportunity to see the subbed version of DSoD in theaters, I highly recommend it. The tone is more somber and highlights Kaiba's unresolved connection to Atem. Plus the music is fantastic and it helps legitimize the US market for further unaltered releases.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Seeing a yu gi oh movie without Dan Green and the guy who does Kaiba is pointless.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

mistressminako posted:

Which is weird because 5Ds was originally supposed to be Sentai-themed.

If you have the opportunity to see the subbed version of DSoD in theaters, I highly recommend it. The tone is more somber and highlights Kaiba's unresolved connection to Atem. Plus the music is fantastic and it helps legitimize the US market for further unaltered releases.

Yeah but you could also watch the dub

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I'm not skipping out on Bakura's stupid accent :colbert:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah but you could also watch the dub

This is the right choice.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Raserys posted:

i kinda wish the anime would go back to a traditional magical theme, i'm tired of all the alternate dimension stuff

like i get that the shadow realm and yugioh egypt serve basically the same purpose, but the setting of "actual egypt with real life card games" is still the best

Yeah, I like the idea of occult forces co-opting a card game to influence the world. The new series looks like it'll basically be digital hacking co-opting card games to influence the world though, and that's like a modern version of the same thing. Instead of the astral world we've got this weird virtual world that humans created but don't really understand or control.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean the alien stuff in zexal was effectively magic too

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Yugioh has a recurring theme of magic and technology interacting with each other in weird ways. Monsters having souls has come up in just about every series, as well as cards magically generating out of nothing. I would be shocked if VRAINS played the technology aspect completely straight.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, there's an AI thing that the SOL Corporation and the Knights of Hanoi want that somehow Yusaku stole, I bet it's actually a magic spirit that entered the digiworld or something.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Is anybody else playing Duel Links for ios and Android? It's got a really good presentation and seems to have a lot of potential to expand and add cards and interesting duel mechanics (even though they simplified the game a bit for faster duels on mobile) but it's also got some grinding against a lot of boring opponents which I'm not a fan of. Still, sure beats having to actually pay money for trading cards.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Ccs posted:

Is anybody else playing Duel Links for ios and Android? It's got a really good presentation and seems to have a lot of potential to expand and add cards and interesting duel mechanics (even though they simplified the game a bit for faster duels on mobile) but it's also got some grinding against a lot of boring opponents which I'm not a fan of. Still, sure beats having to actually pay money for trading cards.

I've been watching streams of it and it looks pretty well balanced, which is surprising considering the source material, but I'm not really interested in playing mobile games as I spend my phone time reading manga, webnovels, or news usually. If they ever add a restricted list, I hope they curate it much better than the ones for the real game, yikes.

Synchro and XYZ could probably be added without too much trouble, as if you take away the field swarming capabilities of the real meta they would presumably be much less ridiculous. Also, they could be tied to Links. Otherwise they'll probably have to create new archetypes just for Duel Links, I guess? Apparently they added Psychic type recently, not sure if there are any tribute archetypes for them IRL. I don't really know that much about the game, though.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Psychics were new in 5Ds. The last new type made were Wyrms.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I mean the new rules and all that are official in Japan by now, so depending on how you want to count it they just added Cyberse. :v:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ccs posted:

Haven't been playing it much due to Persona 5, but I like it and yeah the grinding is real bad. Getting Mai to level 35 so I can get Harpy Lady 1 seems impossible.

Also Odion has an amazing VA.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Rudoku posted:

Psychics were new in 5Ds. The last new type made were Wyrms.

I know, I meant in Duel Links!!!! That's why I wasn't sure if they had a tribute archetype attached, because they came out in Synchro era! :aaa:

Duel Links only has fusions as far as extra deck stuff goes, for those not in the know.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://ygorganization.com/sowhendothejokesstart/

VA and a few new characters were revealed for VRAINS. Here's what Go Onizuka's VA has to say

Daiki Hamano posted:

When I saw the character, I was impressed by his smile and large frame. I want to perform the role while not losing the sense of scale of the character. To all you “Yu-Gi-Oh!” fans out there… …Please looking to his cards in action in “Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS”‘s novel approach to the series! I want to be able to pull off this role as the Shawn Michaels/The Heartbreak Kid of the “Yu-Gi-Oh!” world!

Go is already the best character. :allears:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Takahiro Sakurai is in this, gently caress

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://ygorganization.com/sowhendothejokesstart/

VA and a few new characters were revealed for VRAINS. Here's what Go Onizuka's VA has to say

Go is already the best character. :allears:

Oh my god. I already have a favorite character now, and I think he's cute. I know he's sexy.

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 20, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I really want a Yu-Gi-Oh series that's just Yu-Gi-Oh, but with pro wrestling.

Arc-V came close. Zarc should've had less floaty bullshit cards and just started piledriving dudes.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

VJeff posted:

I really want a Yu-Gi-Oh series that's just Yu-Gi-Oh, but with pro wrestling.

Arc-V came close. Zarc should've had less floaty bullshit cards and just started piledriving dudes.

Strong Ishijima never returning was a shame.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Has anyone in here watched the Arc-V dub? I need to know if this is real or not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q2HLPZ9fZA

There's...there's no loving way Zuma escaped censorship, right? As bad as the censoring has been for the franchise, there's no way a LITERAL DICK MONSTER escaped being edited, right? :stare:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I mean, I see it, but I think you're overreacting.

Besides, remember Zorc? How he had a dragon dick? And to censor it he just now has a giant black void following him around.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Julias posted:

I mean, I see it, but I think you're overreacting.

Besides, remember Zorc? How he had a dragon dick? And to censor it he just now has a giant black void following him around.

Looks more like they surgically attached the dick to his body to me..

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Guys, the Wicked God cards are pretty rad. I wish they got used outside of Yugioh R because they're cool as a counterpoint to the Egyptian gods.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Testekill posted:

Guys, the Wicked God cards are pretty rad. I wish they got used outside of Yugioh R because they're cool as a counterpoint to the Egyptian gods.

Well, one of them kinda appeared in Arc-V. :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wait, what?? Was it cinepolis? google oh heck yeah, guess I might check it.

Though the yugioh facebook also said that some US cities are getting a limited screening of the subbed version, and I might go to that instead.

And turns out people was too stingy to pay for the original voices. Meh, what is the point then?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

? I think they did have the original voices. I watched the Japanese version and didn't notice any changes, and the English trailer has the original voices for that version.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ccs posted:

? I think they did have the original voices. I watched the Japanese version and didn't notice any changes, and the English trailer has the original voices for that version.

He means the latin american version.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I was talking of the latinamerican dub.

Also

Turns out they are giving the special Obelisk with your ticket.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://ygorganization.com/magicianof5arc/

Yuya's dumb last magician is getting released. It is practically unusable and its most noteworthy effect is that the opponent could double its own monsters' attack with enough backrow. :allears:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The first trailer for VRAINS came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYTTzmYVJDA

Looks fun, animation is the usual TV quality. Hopefully the opening will look nice. The protagonist looks more grown up than the last 2 protags.

This will be the first yugioh show I'll be watching since the original, and the first I'll be watching completely in Japanese, so hopefully it won't disappoint. The director was an episodic director on Digimon Xros Wars season 1, which I liked, so that's good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

They also had the OP playing during a narration that was leveled just good enough for it to be sampled out of the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FwAUy-3nvg

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That video is already removed! Drat.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ccs posted:

The first trailer for VRAINS came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYTTzmYVJDA

Looks fun, animation is the usual TV quality. Hopefully the opening will look nice. The protagonist looks more grown up than the last 2 protags.

This will be the first yugioh show I'll be watching since the original, and the first I'll be watching completely in Japanese, so hopefully it won't disappoint. The director was an episodic director on Digimon Xros Wars season 1, which I liked, so that's good.

"Into the VRAINS" is a lovely catch phrase for this IP.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

"Into the VRAINS" is a lovely catch phrase for this IP.

I'm sure 4kids will Swing Into Action! and come up with a worse one.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Why do they let 4kids have anything anymore? Especially with how they poo poo the bed with arc 5.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

To be fair the ARC-V bed came pre-shat.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rudoku posted:

Why do they let 4kids have anything anymore? Especially with how they poo poo the bed with arc 5.

Konami saw 4KIDS collapse and thought "hey, i bet if we take all this scrap for ourselves, the dubbing will be even cheaper", thus forming 4K Media.
Then the whole Vortexx thing may have given Haim Saban some hold on the IP which is why it sat on its thumbs for a year before resigning into Nicktoons.

But yeah, 4KIDS is ultimately here to stay because it is now a branch of Konami, somewhat similar to the Pokemon dub changing to being a part of The Pokemon Company International.

But if we do enough blood rituals we might just get a simulcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Dabir posted:

I'm sure 4kids will Swing Into Action! and come up with a worse one.

Have YOU got the BRAINS for the VRAINS?!

Gotta strain your brain to get into the VRAINS!