Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

HannibalBarca posted:

the weird thing about BotW is that they occasionally review MST3K movies but don't seem to mention it at all, as though they have no knowledge that MST3K exists. Which I find difficult to believe.

Nessus posted:

Does this mean they have to introduce a subplot where Tom has a dead hooker in the basement?
That might be some kind of a legal thing?

I think it's just because they're doing their own lovely movie review thing and don't want to reference a similar show. They're from Milwaukee, it's safe to assume they've seen every episode.

I'm starting to think the Mystery Gift backer reward will be those laser-cut wood props and if that's the case I really hope I get Buzzino Aldrini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HannibalBarca posted:

the weird thing about BotW is that they occasionally review MST3K movies but don't seem to mention it at all, as though they have no knowledge that MST3K exists. Which I find difficult to believe.

To be fair, they are trying to stand on their own.

If they started making references to teh MST3K episode, it'd likely never end.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Markorjoshua posted:

Is that a top and bottom mounted shotgun?!

Shotgun on top, rocket launchers on the bottom, as I recall.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I believe someone said most of the Red Letter Media guys don't actually like MST3K or the idea of directly riffing over movies. Even though they've released their own audio commentaries, Rifftrax style. They know of it, though, and either pull movies from it occasionally or just have tapes of movies that have been on MST sent to them by fans.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gaz-L posted:

Well, the only riff you can really do over that is a VERY risky gag (Jonah and the bots redo the same jokes over and over, as if they're caught in the loop themselves)

Hey it worked on Robot Monster!

And if you don't like that episode, you and I are gonna have to fight to the death.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Personally, I'd love to see 'em do some older stuff (like, as you suggested, pre-code, early sound era stuff), but I'm a film nerd and I also get that I (or, we) could be in the minority.

Also, I think maybe I love Avalanche more than some folks. I get that it's not disliked or whatever, but it might be one of my favorites of the season.

Most of the films this season seem to be either from MGM or New Horizons (Roger Corman's company), which both license a bunch of stuff for video to Shout! Factory.

They should do The Great Gabbo, if they want to get into really old stuff. It's a terrible early talkie with Erich von Stroheim as a ventriloquist.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

All I'm hearing is gabbo this and gabbo that...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
why don't we hear "revelations this" and "jericho that"

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Holy poo poo, the end of The Loves of Hercules

God bless this very silly silly show

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Binary Badger posted:

Whoever was mentioning that they edit the movies down is definitely right.

They pretty much chopped off the end three minutes of Time Travelers, as the movie doesn't really end where they left it.

I replayed it from an old combo DVD I got at a Walgreens bin, and noted that the last three minutes are a montage that implies that the protagonists both escaped the bad future but are trapped in a time loop. Guess they didn't feel like riffing over the loop..

They also chopped a lot out of Starcrash (such as most of the opening credits, some of the dialog at the start of the film and most of the attack on the Count's evil hand-ship). Someone uploaded the whole film uncut to YouTube in case you are curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hqcGK72XYQ

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Holy wow those Wizards movies were amazing. Two favorites of the season so far.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Clouseau posted:

Holy wow those Wizards movies were amazing. Two favorites of the season so far.

The fatherly advice song that Jonah does in the host segment is not as big and impressive as the other songs of the season, but I think it's one of the funnier bits of the season.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Egbert Souse posted:

Most of the films this season seem to be either from MGM or New Horizons (Roger Corman's company), which both license a bunch of stuff for video to Shout! Factory.

They should do The Great Gabbo, if they want to get into really old stuff. It's a terrible early talkie with Erich von Stroheim as a ventriloquist.
If Tom Servo declares that German science is the greatest in the WOOOOOOOOORLD I will die and go to Heaven.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Just finished Carnival Magic. Lol at the end mentioned a sequel that was never made "More Carnival Magic"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how they call Loves of Hercules a "pecs and princess" movie. But it does annoy me that in this movie that they switch between Greek and Roman names for the gods.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaspy Conana posted:

Have there been any reviews published from the completely uninitiated? I'm super curious about how first time MST viewers would respond.

I'm not completely uninitiated as I'd watched the 20 greatest hits about a week beforehand, but I didn't grow up with the show or anything and I loved it. My dad and I used to stay up late on weekends watching old movies on local broadcast TV and while we didn't intentionally set out to make fun of them, the wonderful badness of obscure-for-a-reason B-movies pretty much leaves you with being bored to tears or cracking jokes to pass the time and this show captures that feeling to a T.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Still watching, taking a bit of a breather after Yongary.

Just wanted to chime in and say Felicia Day is an absolute delight and screw the haters, she may be the best addition to the show.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

twistedmentat posted:

I like how they call Loves of Hercules a "pecs and princess" movie. But it does annoy me that in this movie that they switch between Greek and Roman names for the gods.

This literally occurred to me today and that makes the movie even more chuckle worthy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ballz posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say Felicia Day is an absolute delight and screw the haters, she may be the best addition to the show.

Everyone is so good and earnest and charming in this. I can't understand any complaints about the performances. Like, they communicate a spirit of fun along with doing fun characters.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Hey it worked on Robot Monster!

And if you don't like that episode, you and I are gonna have to fight to the death.

I wish they hadn't done Robot Monster in season one because I can only imagine how brilliant it would have been later in the run.

When I went out to LA about six months ago I finally got to visit Ro-Man's cave. It was truly magnificent.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I absolutely love Patton Oswalt. He really channel's the TV's Frank sort of bumbling, but hilarious incompetence.

The part where he finds Jonah's message in a bottle at the end of The Land That Time Forgot, gets me every time. If that isn't classic MST3K, I don't know what is.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Ballz posted:

She's giving it her best shot, but I feel like the writing for her character isn't as good for the older Chief Mads. Though that may be the nostalgia goggles talking. She's ace in the intro song though.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

HannibalBarca posted:

She's giving it her best shot, but I feel like the writing for her character isn't as good for the older Chief Mads. Though that may be the nostalgia goggles talking. She's ace in the intro song though.

I was never a big Pearl fan because the insecurity just didn't feel right. Dr F always felt like he was on the brink of failure at all times and so much of his evil came from that . Kinga has a different thing going - she's promised herself that she'll be a success and probably made the mistake of being really loud about it and is feeling the crunch, which is different from "I think I'm a better gizmonics employee than you but know I'm way worse" - but the latent desperation to succeed in the face of a laid back test subect who's just gonna ride it out really feels right.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 23, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Egbert Souse posted:

I posted it earier in the thread, but Just Imagine is my dream "really old" MST3K film. It's an excruciating sci-fi comedy about life in the far-off year of 1980 that turns into one of those "sexy alien women on Mars" movies that would be all the rage in about 20 years, and stars a guy then-famous for his Swedish ethnic stereotype character. They'd have to edit it significantly for length (it's thickly padded with irrelevant musical numbers because holy poo poo, SOUND), but I think it could still work.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Compendium posted:

This literally occurred to me today and that makes the movie even more chuckle worthy.

Yep.

Come Ladies, lets hate men somewhere else!

And I love Day in this, she really pulls off the cartoon super villain thing off really well, and she and Oswalt really play off each other well.

EDIT: You taste like bad acting and garlic bread.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 23, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watched the first Wizards of the Lost Kingdom and man that's probably my favorite episode so far. Everything about Crabby and how the movie itself was just nutty as get out. Not surprised to see Dana Snyder was one of the writers on that one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Felicia Day's kind of humor in her own work was already so in line with Dr. Forester sketches that when she was cast, I immediately thought "Why didn't I think of that?" I was less sold on Patton before I actually saw him on screen, but he immediately won me over.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I wonder if there ends up being a season 2 and they get Mike back they'd do an episode with just Joel, Mike and Jonah in the theatre, or at least for a short.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Crazy Ferret posted:

Holy poo poo, the end of The Loves of Hercules

God bless this very silly silly show

I still don't know what triggered that from the movie but I couldn't stop laughing for a good three minutes afterwards and I still have no earthly idea what happened

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

moon 13 the moon

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm still not sold on The Mads having an entire crew full of goons helping them out. That and the house band make the whole thing feel way too big. It should just be Kinga and Son of TV's Frank, with Pearl's clone showing up occasionally. I also vastly prefer the old "revolving moon" commercial cuts over the weird new "recap with house band" bits.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I still think I'm German! :monocle:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

in the last episode there's a talk show style desk off to the side in Kinga's lair... was that ever used at all?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pixeltendo posted:

I wonder if there ends up being a season 2 and they get Mike back they'd do an episode with just Joel, Mike and Jonah in the theatre, or at least for a short.

I hope so. I think it'd be really cool. :shobon:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Did they cut like half an hour from Cry Wilderness or is it just that batshit, period? I mean, great episode. Utterly stellar. But what the gently caress that movie.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Kind of like a Doctor Who reunion special. MST3k: The Three Subjects.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
"The Christmas That Almost Wasn't" might not be the worst movie MST3K has covered, but it's made me the most uncomfortable. Santa has never interacted with children before? He's destitute? Lives in a run-down shack with elves who look like they get black out drunk every night? Holy poo poo it's dark, and creepy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Did they cut like half an hour from Cry Wilderness or is it just that batshit, period? I mean, great episode. Utterly stellar. But what the gently caress that movie.

My favorite part of that whole movie is still Bigfoot, backed by bright red spotlights, shouting "YOUR FATHER IS IN DANGER" at a boy's private school and then disappearing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Me and fellow Goon Seer were worried that the entire movie was going to be a flashback told by that kid at the start

How wrong we were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My favorite part of that whole movie is still Bigfoot, backed by bright red spotlights, shouting "YOUR FATHER IS IN DANGER" at a boy's private school and then disappearing.
The fact that that's in the first ten minutes really lets you know what kind of movie to expect. And it still doesn't quite prepare you.