Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I've wanted a covenant where you take control of an NPC to fight the host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Exactly. People bitched about how unfair fighting summons were non-stop since 3 came out. And now that there's a summon cooldown and giant seeds suck, I'm seeing more people than ever just immediately spawn in and run behind a Harald Knight and do nothing but spam emotes while I pull out my bow and start shooting them.

Because at the end of the day they are terrible at invasions.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Pff. If I wanted to duel I'd go to the arena. Invaders who hide behind enemies are fun to deal with (see above).

And yeah they're usually bad and immediately charge in over-extending themselves the moment I get any enemy aggro.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I tried my luck at pvp for a few hours today as Aldrich's Faithful. I didn't do so well. I've heard the Exile Greatsword is good, so I +10 and Refined it and tried a few duels. My attacks never landed, I don't know if it was because I was timing them wrong or if it has really short range. I switched back to my Astora Great Sword and did a little better. Aka, managing to hit people, but still losing.

Someone I fought had a Ledo's Great Hammer and just spammed what I assumed its L2 was, where the hammer gets that rocky graphic and they spin in circles. I couldn't do a goddamn thing about it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The saddest thing is an invader with the obscuring ring and a greatbow.

We all had that idea. No, its not actually fun or effective. Just stop running already ffffff

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

SoldadoDeTone posted:

I kind of wanted some of the utility magic spells to keep that assassin class model, but faith is an interesting idea since I could grab some heals, too. But how would faith get magic damage, specifically? Doesn't that scale with int? Or are you referring to a specific weapon buff? I've always run pure dex/str type characters, so I am not aware of a lot of the spells in the game.

Darkmoon blade miracle is a weapon buff that adds magic damage. The problem is you need 30 blue cop tokens to level the blue cop covenant which tends to be a huge pain in the rear end. If you just want to buff weapons then just having 15 faith is enough since blessed weapon buff actually adds 8% physical damage to your weapon. It doesent scale with faith so its always 8% no matter what.
If you only want the sorcery related utility spells like hidden body then sticking to 15 int might be more ideal too. For weapon buffs instead use charcoal pine bundles or gold pine bundles.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you're gonna go for utility sorcery then level to 18 int for snap freeze. Its a pretty good spell for PvE and has utility for invaders too.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Lol gael can be poisoned and bled

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Poisoning Gael is the secret to success when you're a summon.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In dark souls 2 invaders had a time limit so they couldn't pull that poo poo forever :q:

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

the time limit was an unironically good idea, tho gently caress invasions in the rest of that game

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the time limit was retarded considering how much bigger of an advantage the host can have if the invader decides to hide behind enemies.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The time limit was an ok idea in theory, but a lot of DS2's maps didn't play very nicely with it. Like if you spawn in at the bottom of Tseldora while the host is at the second bonfire, he can literally just wait you out, nothing you can do about it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I got invaded recently while collecting the lava item across the platforms by the Iron Keep bridge, so I just turned into a pot, sat there, and waited. He shot arrows at me but they did zero damage because I was wearing full Smelter gear to walk on the lava. Went AFK like that, peed, got some water, by the time I came back he was gone.

Speaking of which, hosed up how Dark Souls 2 lets you get more than enough fire defense to take a lovely afternoon stroll on lava, take a nap, build a house there, start a family, but in Dark Souls 3 you have no choice but to chug Estus, at the max resistance possible the lava still burns through your health in no time.

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 23, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was invaded today in the Painted World, but the guy spawned pretty far away and couldn't find me (even though I could see him in the distance). I tried using the Call Over gesture and other stuff to catch his attention, but he just kept running. I tried running after him (had to fight my way through mobs, too) but by the time I got to the area he was in, he had gone to a different area. Then he Black Crystal'd out :saddowns:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are there any good DEX/INT weapons ? That's a combo I never hear much of.

Friede's scythe is all that comes to mind.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If anyone needs to do item trades and wants to help me do it at the same time then PM me on steam. Steam name same as SA name.
edit: done

Iretep fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 23, 2017

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

The solution to invaders who wanted to hide behind enemies was the Rat covenent from DS2 and gently caress I miss making people run through my murder funhouse

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Did the DLC with a character with NG+2, and everything hits like a truck.

I did kill the Knight final boss in one go though, that was a pretty intense fight. It feels a little disjointed considering I haven't finished the first DLC yet.

The dragon boss though is loving awful. I can't think of a single dragon boss in this series where you can tell what is going on at all times

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

Did the DLC with a character with NG+2, and everything hits like a truck.

I did kill the Knight final boss in one go though, that was a pretty intense fight. It feels a little disjointed considering I haven't finished the first DLC yet.

The dragon boss though is loving awful. I can't think of a single dragon boss in this series where you can tell what is going on at all times

Maybe fighting a dragon isn't supposed to make sense

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Moxie posted:

Maybe fighting a dragon isn't supposed to make sense

It should be fun though. Dragon's Dogma has a kick rear end dragon fight.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Nuebot posted:

It should be fun though. Dragon's Dogma has a kick rear end dragon fight.

That's because Dragon's Dogma is a pure power fantasy whose entire point is to make you go 'gently caress yeah I'm kicking rear end' and Dark Souls is literally the opposite, everything is designed to make you feel confused, lost, and powerless until you've died enough to make sense of it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Haha, getting 4 or 5 Locusts grouped together going after you is pretty great.

IshallpartakeIshallparIshalltakeparItakeshallpartake

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fargin Icehole posted:

Sinh is extremely easy to keep track of at all times. I dunno how the same company managed to make Sinh and then make loving King of Storms and Midir.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I really liked the Midir fight.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vermain posted:

Sinh is extremely easy to keep track of at all times. I dunno how the same company managed to make Sinh and then make loving King of Storms and Midir.

The B in B-team stands for Better.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

In all honesty, though, the actual worst dragon fight in the entire series is the wyvern that ambushes you past Ancient Wyvern. If you try to actually fight it between its legs, the camera will start absolutely freaking out and get itself stuck in walls, do complete 180' rotations, etc. I can only assume they thought everyone would just piss themselves and run past it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
just dont lock onto it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Midir is fine, he just has way too much hp. Stay in front of his face, it's not hard. If he takes off and strafes you, sprint left and the fire will miss you ten times out of ten. That's like the only part that has no clear indication about what to do.

Otherwise he is set up to punish cheese strats. Same as Champ just... way way slower.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Maybe I've forgotten, but Dark Souls 3 seems to have given me the most camera issues in any of the Souls games.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Vermain posted:

In all honesty, though, the actual worst dragon fight in the entire series is the wyvern that ambushes you past Ancient Wyvern. If you try to actually fight it between its legs, the camera will start absolutely freaking out and get itself stuck in walls, do complete 180' rotations, etc. I can only assume they thought everyone would just piss themselves and run past it.

I reckon Hellkite Drake is easily just as bad, there's just no part of it that is fun whether it's getting stunlocked by fire, shooting it with arrows, or massive health regen in NG+.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
At first I thought maybe Midir was Bad and Dumb

but now I realize he's actually Cool and Good :yeah:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sapozhnik posted:

Midir is fine, he just has way too much hp. Stay in front of his face, it's not hard. If he takes off and strafes you, sprint left and the fire will miss you ten times out of ten. That's like the only part that has no clear indication about what to do.

Otherwise he is set up to punish cheese strats. Same as Champ just... way way slower.

Midir would have been more fun, imo, if he had way less health but was maybe a bit faster? Or if they just got rid of the insane damage reduction.

I was also disappointed you couldn't cut his tail off. There didn't even have to be a reward for it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Midir isn't very good. I mean he's not as bad as some dragons but I wouldn't call him fun either. He just has WAY too much loving HP on top of near complete resists to two elements. That and his hitbox feels really loving wonky. Sometimes I've hit him and had the damage sound play and blood splatter, but he takes no damage. Its weird. His fight isn't very complex either once you learn it. The difficulty comes from it taking forever to kill him which isn't what I'd call good design.

Sinh and Kalameet are still the two good dragon fights IMO.

hampig posted:

I reckon Hellkite Drake is easily just as bad, there's just no part of it that is fun whether it's getting stunlocked by fire, shooting it with arrows, or massive health regen in NG+.

At a certain point something stops being an enemy and is just a glorified environmental hazard. I don't think I've ever even killed hellkite drake because there's zero incentive to do so.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
Kalameet is pretty easy to keep track of, possibly because he doesn't fly.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
You can also just one shot him with a bow as he flies into the boss arena, if you're MLG.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think Midir might beat out Sinh for my favorite dragon in the series tbqh

I didn't think Midir was that hard to keep track of, he follows pre-determined combo strings with little in the ways of mix-ups so you just need to recognize the first attack or two and prepare for the follow-ups.

Augus fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 23, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

hampig posted:

That's because Dragon's Dogma is a pure power fantasy whose entire point is to make you go 'gently caress yeah I'm kicking rear end' and Dark Souls is literally the opposite, everything is designed to make you feel confused, lost, and powerless until you've died enough to make sense of it.

That's not an excuse for making fights that are not fun.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Speaking of camera issues it's neat how long the lock-on range is for Gael's fight compared to most other boss fights! It's usually way to short, like with Oceiros or Sulyvahn who'll break lock-on during attacks, but I never had any problems like that with Gael even when he's spinning around doing triple flips

What's the point of having a short lock-on range during boss fights anyway? It's not like you're going to lock on to the wrong enemy when you're all alone with the boss in a closed arena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJacobs posted:

That's not an excuse for making fights that are not fun.

Midir is extremely fun