Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
So I got solid black green and red pools at the prerelease. After some loving around, I can swap from BR to RG to BG with consistent results depending on the opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Entropic posted:

Apparently someone at one of my LGS opened three Lilianas and a Gideon.

And went 0-2 drop.

Hah. Nice one.

Opened nothing worth more than $3, most expensive card was cascading cataract... blue was trash outside of two creatures and a couple of the cartouche, black was pretty much garbo (one removal spell, trash creatures), tried test building RW and GW, RW was way too low to the ground and had no real late game outside or "go as wide as possible." GW was great but I had exactly 1 removal spell, so I ended up in white green and had enough fixing to support a red "splash" for removal; 2 magma sprays, electrify, cut / ribbons and the RW uncommon battlecry guy. I played sacred cat plus regal caracal and both were disgustingly good especially with the battle cry guy and the exert "attacking creatures get +1/+1" - I even got to kill someone with the ribbons half of cut // ribbons thanks to gift of paradise.

Oh... and gently caress that green hexproof crocodile. That card is bullshit with the fan bearer or the artifact "can't attack / block" thing.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I got really lucky and cracked open the white god invocation in one of my prerelease packs. Those things actually look good in person, and people were excited to see it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My favorite thing at prerelease will always be watching people buy a stack of prerelease kits and open them all and never play in an event. They'll spend $180 for six kits just to crack the packs and go.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I went 2-0-2 with a durdlerific Sultai ramp deck. Opened nothing good but this format is fun as hell. I might actually go to local drafts for this set. Home run of a set. Cycling and Aftermath are awesome mechanics.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Star Man posted:

My favorite thing at prerelease will always be watching people buy a stack of prerelease kits and open them all and never play in an event. They'll spend $180 for six kits just to crack the packs and go.

i've never seen this before but it makes me sad

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Star Man posted:

I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would ever do that.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I don't see it anymore, but I used to consistently see people buy leftover prerelease kits solely to open when they had the dedicated color packs because they had scoped out the possible promos and really wanted something from those promo pools right now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Hazoret the Fervent is on the rise, did I miss an article or did people realize that hellbent is a lot easier to turn on?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
My pool was garbage and i went 0-2 drop but my promo was a Nissa.

I decided to buy a pack of MM17 and pulled a snap.

All in all good day.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ersatz posted:

People think those packs have higher likelihood of invocations. IDK if that is true or not...

Sickening posted:

Hazoret the Fervent is on the rise, did I miss an article or did people realize that hellbent is a lot easier to turn on?

Bought a set last week at like 4ish. A few pros, BBD being one of them, said it was the best card in the set. Who knows.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 23, 2017

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mcmagic posted:

People think those packs have higher likelihood of invocations. IDK if that is true or not...

Bought a set last week at like 4ish. A few pros, BBD being one of them, said it was the best card in the set. Who knows.
The early pre-order price was kinda stupid, whatever happens. I think people conflated the frustration of theros gods with her, even though she's a joke to turn on. I played four games at my PR and had her running out on four two of those games.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

mcmagic posted:

They say the packs aren't seeded, but they totally are. If you love that glorious lottery ticket, it's probably a good idea?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Second prerelease I've ever done, first one was Battle for Zendikar, and in the BFZ my promo was Gideon.

Today my promo was... Gideon. And my first pack had another Gideon. I also had Glorybringer, which is disgusting and I love it. Went RWU for the first match and got overrun, game one I drew five lands in a row and game two I was off a color the whole game. Removed blue (the * drake and Temmet weren't enough payoff to keep it) and ran over my next to for a 2-1 record.

Then my buddy and I did a 2HG afterwards, went UG for my deck with a bunch of flyers, Sandwom Convergence, the Blue God, and not a lot else. My friend went BR and had four magma sprays, two deem worthys, and a handful of other removal. Went 3-0 with that setup, with the final match going to turns and the opponents only able to get us down to 1 life before we won it.

Overall I like prereleases but man, 10 straight hours of magic is a lot and I was getting really worn out at the end.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Star Man posted:

I am reasonably sure you aren't allowed to sell those until after the set comes out.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

goth smoking cloves posted:

I am reasonably sure you aren't allowed to sell those until after the set comes out.
WPN rules state they're not allowed to be sold til release, yes.

Rules are only as good as their enforcement, though.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I went 3-0 and split 12 packs. I played pretty hard UB control. Heiroglyphic illumination or w/e is really fun, and the sphinx is pretty much impossible to deal with. The power level is very high, too. I felt that the two -1/-1 counters on one or two target creatures was really useful, and that's a pretty lousy-looking common at the surface. It makes combat really, really interesting. I'll probably draft this set, having so much to do is right up this cube player's alley

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mcmagic posted:

It is an incredible beating in limited. Slots in perfectly for the RB aggro deck around in standard now.

And I don't know what you did to get this av but keep it

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Lawnie posted:

I went 3-0 and split 12 packs. I played pretty hard UB control. Heiroglyphic illumination or w/e is really fun, and the sphinx is pretty much impossible to deal with. The power level is very high, too. I felt that the two -1/-1 counters on one or two target creatures was really useful, and that's a pretty lousy-looking common at the surface. It makes combat really, really interesting. I'll probably draft this set, having so much to do is right up this cube player's alley

For sure - aside from being a great set for sealed so far, I think its contributed to the largest number of cube updates any set has in a while. Granted my cube isn't high powered but the Trials/Cartouches, all of the monuments, and a bunch of cycling stuff is all making it in.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Lawnie posted:

Yeah - sealed deck was way more interesting than I expected it to be.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Ersatz posted:

Yeah - sealed deck was way more interesting than I expected it to be.

Indeed. My BWu pool built itself, I went 4-1 bouncing the black trial with a bunch of U and W cartouches and tapping things with the "when a zombie etbs tap something" mummy. Only lost to a guy who played Lilliana on curve twise.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

goth smoking cloves posted:

The way around it is to register then for the tournament and then have them drop immediately.

I'm told that people that get those where I play is that they are able to pay for all six prerelease events for $160. Where I play, we always get a pack in prizes for participation, and the owner includes that extra pack with each kit if people are just buying them to open amd not play. In the end, they get 42 packs and six bonus rares for $160 and it comes out to like $3.80 per pack. That's a whopping $8.40 in savings.

I have no idea how many kits a store is supposed to order, but in a town of ten thousand people in central Wyoming, they're not going to sell out. People do come to play from as far as sixty miles away, but turnout was low because it's prom weekend for three neighboring towns so the high school kids that commute from those places were out doing that.

So far, the only thing anyone has done to affect the store's reputation was they complained that one of the other regulars was cheating and getting away with it. He was just some shitstain that couldn't handle losing regularly to a fifteen-year-old girl and even our local judge was contacted by Wizards to confirm this player existed and that she was a pretty good limited player.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 23, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
quote aint edit

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Star Man posted:

The way around it is to register then for the tournament and then have them drop immediately.

I did this today because my daughter's birthday party was happening later and I couldn't stick around. Also, my LGS has a flat prize payout of 2 packs per player, so... I don't really feel too guilty about it. There were something like 20 people registered for it, which is great to see.

Anyway, no Invocations for me (though someone pulled a Worship).

Pulled 3 mythics: foil Vizier of the Menagerie, Samut, Voice of Dissent, and Cruel Reality.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Went 3-1 off of AzoriusFlyers.Dec and sideboard tech of GolgariBeatdown.Dec. Lost in round 3 to a kid playing well with an awesome pool. He had Glorybringer, 2 red gods, Heaven & Earth, 2 of the 6/7 hexproof crocodile, and a boat load of removal.

Saw him go on to beat the guy who declined the fourth round prize split because "oh it's just a 12 year old kid."

Turns out 4 U/W Cartouches are really good coupled with Trial of Zeal splashed.

Enter into Wonder may as well say "you win the game" on it. 3 games were closed out for exactsies out of nowhere. One game ended after casting my copy 3 times via 2 Scribes of the Mindful and seeing 15 of my 16 lands before sizeable threats showed.

Set feels like a lot of fun. There's definitely some problem bombs at mythic level (3/5ths of the gods, Glorybringer) and a few uncommons that are insane (Enter into Wonder, Scaled Behemoth) but at least they require strong color commitment or are beef.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Because I'm an irresponsible idiot, I went to another prerelease. Off to a good start: I pulled both sphinxes, Rhonas and a Channeler...
...and got blown up under twenty minutes in my first game. :negative:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Went 4-1 including winning a game I had no business winning with glorious end and opening the greatest synergy pool I've ever seen in a sealed event.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
First prerelease, first time playing. Didn't pull anything special and went 1-3 with a midrangesque BG deck. Shoutout to bone picker for carrying me to the win.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I opened an A+ red-black aggro pool and won all kind of games by burning people out with manticore of the gauntlet into heart-piercer manticore. The format is super fun and you have an interesting decision basically every turn, I'm definitely going to draft it a lot.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Did anyone get Glorius Ended? I did. It was... :)

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I did a few Sealed events but the best one was R/W/g with Samut, Voice of Dissent, Insult to Injury, and that 2-drop that exerts to get +1/+3 and lifelink. Samut is the stupidest loving card I've seen in Limited in a long time. I won multiple games with Insult + Mighty Leap. If you cast it on Samut it's 20 damage in the air, and I killed opponents from 13 and 20 life with that combo.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Listerine Hangover posted:

While I was waiting for the bathroom before the tournament, someone behind me said they had a glock in their pocket. He was a weird aspie demon that stared at me before I switched tables. I was legit concerned about getting shot up tonight. Man

I'm late on this but at least he didn't just say he was happy to see you.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Ersatz posted:

Autism is a great big spectrum, and mine is different than yours is different than his.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

It is an incredible beating in limited. Slots in perfectly for the RB aggro deck around in standard now.

And I don't know what you did to get this av but keep it

I have no idea what the hell it is about...

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Went 2-3 on paper, but one of those wins was a convenience concede from a guy who had to leave early. Almost made it to a pity pack but failed to deal with Glorybringer in my last game.

Highlight of the day was definitely the Vizier of the Tumbling Sands + Edifice of Authority wombo combo that dragged a game to 35 loving minutes. I was just too stubborn to quit and kept playing more fatties to gum up the board, but eventually died to fliers.

I feel like my losses were more down to punts than anything else. A bit bummed, since I felt like I had a fundamentally decent deck with sphinxes and green fatties.

Shoulda splashed white for the Second Sun. :(

Edit: A deck list, in case you're interested. The sideboard is all the remaining blues and greens in my pool.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 23, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

4-0 split with the other 4-0, deck was nuts.

The best part was anointed procession being a shitload better than I gave it credit for, any time I embalmed was backbreaking for my opponent.

Then I played Oketra and made 4 flying vigilance soldiers at the end of every turn :getin:

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I didn't draft/whatever yet because I haven't ever played live, just MTGO, but I'm out of state at a restaurant while I visit family and went out to get breakfast alone, and was reading this thread and I can hear the kitchen staff loudly talking about what they did last night and I heard the word cartouche like 5 times.

Welp that's my story hope you enjoyed it .

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I still can't believe AKH draft leagues are already gonna be up on modo tomorrow. seems too good to be true

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I thought they only put stuff up on Wednesdays after maintenance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Set's fun. Built some control decks because, "no one plays agro in sealed," and got rolled by glorybringers etc etc. Don't just sit there cycling is all I can say.

RUGw with sweltering suns, heaven to earth, good red removal, 2 trials and 3 cartouches, spring to mind, bounty of the luxa, and big green fatties was dope as hell to play though.