Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Pointsman posted:

I ended up in essentially a junior devops/SRE type role in my last gig and sure enough it's something I gradually moved into and picked up. Seems very hard to hire externally for.

that's why you hire more senior if you don't want someone who's like "yeah i managed my own aws account that's webscale right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if you're unwilling to just hire an obviously smart person for the job and give them a shot at picking it up you are not actually that desperate

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Our best non dev technical person left 6 months ago and doubled his salary in a devops role.

This is a flyover state though.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

wtf is devops

a sysadmin that can script?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
a buzzword title

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

how does an sre compare to a devop

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING

mishaq posted:

wtf is devops

The movement is about breaking down silos between dev and ops.

But in practice most of the positions out there labeled as devops are for sysadmins who can script. I mostly fought fires, built out automation, devved production fixes, and configured new physical infrastructure. Interesting work but the pay and hours there were abysmal and we couldn't get buy in for stuff like devs getting pages on their systems.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

wtf is devops

a miserable pile of scripts

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mishaq posted:

wtf is devops

a sysadmin's whose scripts are larger than most applications

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

hobbesmaster posted:

a sysadmin's whose scripts are larger than most applications

lmao it's 100% this

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bloody posted:

if you're unwilling to just hire an obviously smart person for the job and give them a shot at picking it up you are not actually that desperate

I think you mean smart not desperate

I'm the job req that needs 4 years experience but not competence or intelligence or aptitude

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Bloody posted:

THIS IS WHAT IVE BEEN SAYING

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
devops is where development and operations work collaboratively but in my experience it's less collaboration and more devs making a dumb request, ops saying no, devs crying to the project manager, and then getting their way

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

remember when you wanted to learn how to make a cool website so you installed LAMP in a VM and coded up some lovely example website. Then you put that poo poo on the web and any change you made you did it in production?

That's devops.

whats the pay

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

FamDav posted:

why can't you name a number? here's a few

6.000 figgies
6.176 figgies
6.301 figgies
6.398 figgies
6.477 figgies
6.544 figgies
6.602 figgies
6.653 figgies
6.699 figgies
6.740 figgies
6.778 figgies
6.813 figgies
6.845 figgies
6.875 figgies
6.903 figgies
6.929 figgies
6.954 figgies
6.978 figgies

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
6.669 figgies... nice

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

my goth gf posted:

devops is where development and operations work collaboratively but in my experience it's less collaboration and more devs making a dumb request, ops saying no, devs crying to the project manager, and then getting their way
properly speaking, it's hiring someone to fill the gap between "works on my machine" devs and "i am not good with computers" ops but in practice only huge companies will shell out the money for that

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
amazon: not a huge company

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
what I'm getting here is that it's computer janitors that want to pretend like they're engineers

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

just like software developers, who also want to pretend like they're engineers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

what I'm getting here is that it's computer janitors that want to pretend like they're engineers

also developers that got tricked into supporting the messes they deployed

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
again, properly, it's devs who can take up the responsibility of specing out a deployment to the ops technicians when the product devs are too autistic/arrogant to do so

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao if your deploy is anything more than uploading packaged binaries to a repository

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

carry on then posted:

lmao if your deploy is anything more than uploading packaged binaries to a repository

lol granny deployin

shippin binaries instead of prs to ci/cd-integrated build repos like your supposed to

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PCjr sidecar posted:

lol granny deployin

shippin binaries instead of prs to ci/cd-integrated build repos like your supposed to

i'm sorry, please rephrase your answer in a form that would make sense in 1998

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
hi, I'm devops. what do i do? well, i'm the buffer / secondary healer of the raid and

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

PCjr sidecar posted:

lol granny deployin

In the embedded world you don't get this option if your product isn't guaranteed to be connected to the internet.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
nothing is funnier than trying to implement a CI env devops internal cloud dept within a telecom company with an entrenched 1998 style network design and security posture operated by 15+ year lifers

i asked in the interview what sucked the most about working there and all 4 people told me firewalls and the security team

they weren't wrong

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 23, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you think you can get away with it culture wise and built up a bit of rapport during the interview, i highly recommend flat out asking what sucks about working there

the answers are always enlightening and people are happy to show all those :redflag: simply from the asking

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bhodi posted:

If you think you can get away with it culture wise and built up a bit of rapport during the interview, i highly recommend flat out asking what sucks about working there

the answers are always enlightening and people are happy to show all those :redflag: simply from the asking

you should always be asking this anyway imo, just phrase it as asking about the "challenging parts".

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bhodi posted:

within a telecom company

im so sorry

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Bhodi posted:

hi, I'm devops. what do i do? well, i'm the buffer / secondary healer of the raid and

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

ratbert90 posted:

In the embedded world you don't get this option if your product isn't guaranteed to be connected to the internet.

nah, still applies. the outcome of that CI/CD pipeline is versioned, metadatad, signed artifacts sent to a server somewhere that your devices ping for self updates whenever they happen to be on the network and that your company website uses so users can manually download them and update them offline if they choose.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
can someone remind me what the best job listing sites are for devs? i wanna do another round of resumes this week.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I had good luck with snack overflow this last round

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

cis autodrag posted:

can someone remind me what the best job listing sites are for devs? i wanna do another round of resumes this week.

I've had success with LinkedIn.

if you're into games stuff there's also gamasutra jobs board or https://orcahq.com/jobs

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

cis autodrag posted:

I had good luck throwing myself into hired.com's auction thingy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

leper khan posted:

I've had success with LinkedIn.

if you're into games stuff there's also gamasutra jobs board or https://orcahq.com/jobs

i don't have a linkedin because stalkers and im not stupid enough to go into the death pit of games lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

do you want to work 80% more hours for 40% less money? well good news, the game industry is hiring!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

wtf is devops

yes but with whatever the current script fads are ex: ruby based deployments lol

• Locked thread