Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
And Tom Mitchell was everywhere. gently caress yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Great game for the confidence. Hopefully it carries through.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ewe2 posted:

Yeah that was the biggest fight the Saints could put up, 3 quarters out of 4. Can't play that kind of pressure footy and lose your legs like that.

That said Geelong has been outplaying most of the teams they have played this year in the last quarter

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Cats are a good team, they're fit and they're fighting the whole game.The Saints are yet to prove to me they can do that, and I think it's a cultural problem beyond the fitness issue. Good teams fight 4 quarters, and the Saints have disappointed me for years this way.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I think it might be Adelaide, GWS, Geelong, and as a roughie, Port, I think. (The two games they've lost have been to the Crows and Giants)

Still ain't sure where Richmond are at...

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Nathan Brown is a seriously good fullback that is let down by the Saints midfield. Has kept JKennedy and Hawkins goalless for most of the game till our mids vanished and the ball started to come in unopposed.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
I wish Gresham had kicked that goal. :(

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

EDDIEBETTS is leading the Coleman and I want it to stay that way

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

boy undead posted:

I wish Gresham had kicked that goal. :(

Gresh had a bit of a shocker today.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid

Periphery posted:

Gresh had a bit of a shocker today.

So did Dunstan. And Long. Can't really blame Long, of course, but if we're struggling to run out games, why is Dunstan playing just to sit on the bench for long stretches?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

boy undead posted:

So did Dunstan. And Long. Can't really blame Long, of course, but if we're struggling to run out games, why is Dunstan playing just to sit on the bench for long stretches?

Yeah, they were all bad.

hosed if I know why we keep playing Dunstan when he can't run out games. It makes no sense to me. He struggles to play over 65% of games and it's his fourth or fifth year for fucks sake. Dunstan and Long have to be dropped for next week. Bring in Stevens and Sinclair who should both run out games better.

I'm also really, really, really sick of us wasting our time with Bruce as the 2nd ruck. It's killing his game and is a massive liability. We could try playing both Hickey and Longer, but neither of them have shown anything up forward. So imo we should bring in Marshall who can hopefully be a reasonable 2nd ruck and has shown in the VFL he's a more than capable forward (we can promote him due to Dempsters retirement). That'd also hopefully help free up Bruce to play a more running/leading style of game where he isn't caught wresting with defenders (something he's poo poo at) or going up against 2 defenders all the time.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Periphery posted:

Also, I want someone to take Selwood's head off one of these days. That is the only thing that will make up for years of his bullshit.

If you watched his game today and that was your take away you don't deserve to watch footy

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Shmoses posted:

If you watched his game today and that was your take away you don't deserve to watch footy

It's possible to think he's a good footballer but also a massive ducking poo poo stain that gets an absolute ride from the umps.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

Also, I want someone to take Selwood's head off one of these days. That is the only thing that will make up for years of his bullshit.

Perhaps it might be an opposition player next time not that it matters as he will still get the free either way.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid
Those two frees in the first quarter were indefensible trash.

Periphery posted:

Yeah, they were all bad.

hosed if I know why we keep playing Dunstan when he can't run out games. It makes no sense to me. He struggles to play over 65% of games and it's his fourth or fifth year for fucks sake. Dunstan and Long have to be dropped for next week. Bring in Stevens and Sinclair who should both run out games better.

I'm also really, really, really sick of us wasting our time with Bruce as the 2nd ruck. It's killing his game and is a massive liability. We could try playing both Hickey and Longer, but neither of them have shown anything up forward. So imo we should bring in Marshall who can hopefully be a reasonable 2nd ruck and has shown in the VFL he's a more than capable forward (we can promote him due to Dempsters retirement). That'd also hopefully help free up Bruce to play a more running/leading style of game where he isn't caught wresting with defenders (something he's poo poo at) or going up against 2 defenders all the time.

I agree with all of this. I haven't paid enough attention to Marshall but I did hear good things about him. Does he have the capability to ruck? I noticed we had Carlisle down forward while Bruce was in the ruck. Did Essendon ever throw Jake into the middle?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
That first free he didn't even duck for, it was just an innocuous yet awkward collision

Lol

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

boy undead posted:

I agree with all of this. I haven't paid enough attention to Marshall but I did hear good things about him. Does he have the capability to ruck? I noticed we had Carlisle down forward while Bruce was in the ruck. Did Essendon ever throw Jake into the middle?

Yeah, Marshall played predominantly in the ruck at VFL level last year (he's an overage recruit) where he apparently did alright (18 disposals and 22 hitouts per game). So far this year we've played him as a forward in the VFL and he's been kicking goals regularly. Of course, it's a massive step up from VFL to AFL but I don't see how it'd be worse than what we are doing with Bruce at the moment. I have no idea where that would leave Paddy if Marshall does cement a spot in the team though.

I dunno if Carlisle ever played in the ruck; I feel like he did but I can't be sure. Coming into this year I half thought we'd give it a shot. He could just follow the oppositions 2nd ruck around while leaving Bruce to do his thing. But I guess we wanted to maintain our structure down back more than up forward.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Periphery posted:

I dunno if Carlisle ever played in the ruck; I feel like he did but I can't be sure. Coming into this year I half thought we'd give it a shot. He could just follow the oppositions 2nd ruck around while leaving Bruce to do his thing. But I guess we wanted to maintain our structure down back more than up forward.

He played ruck but only when we literally had no other option, not even Daniher because he was younger then and built like a twig. Wasn't exactly great in the role.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/04/23/clarkson-blasts-carey-over-afl-comments

quote:

"Once again, no account - no account by a bloke who should know better than throw up bull---- about our players," Clarkson said.

"Hold some of these people to account, because the hysteria it creates is just absolute rubbish.

"Particularly Carey, of all people - we've spoken about this before, he shouldn't make too many comments about stories about other players, because we just go to town on him."

Clarkson saying what everyone is thinking

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mm, good

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

It seems that it's not only in South Australia. A trainer for Brisbane was racially abused at the game on Sat.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/brisbane-lions-trainer-subject-of-alleged-racial-abuse-at-etihad-stadium-20170423-gvqntk.html

This time the bloke wasn't aboriginal, but Asian instead.

So I suppose we can say footy fans don't hate people because they are black, they just hate them if they aren't white, (or straight).

Mar 2, 2005

OPTIC BLAST!
Footy fans hate non-white, non-straight people, eh? Bit of a generalisation.
No, I don't think we CAN say that, mate.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
How does Toby Greene get nothing for head butting someone?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

realbez posted:

Probably for the same reason they don't suspend players for punching to the body: The AFL is stupid.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Why am I weirdly optimistic that we will beat Richmond

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol they lock the gates while playing the last post, my great grandfather didn't fight the Turkic horses for this ya fucks

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

realbez posted:

The more baffling thing is how does Toby Greene not have a bad record when he's already been fined twice this season and has gone to the tribunal six times from his last six seasons.

edit: Norf are going standalone in the VFL next season, probably won't help them since their reserves are poo poo.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

snaeksikn posted:

Why am I weirdly optimistic that we will beat Richmond

So far every team I've wanted to win this round has lost. Go the Tigers!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgggg

anzac day

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Look at that stupid headband.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Jayden Hunt gonna get fined for wearing that headband

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Testekill posted:

edit: Norf are going standalone in the VFL next season, probably won't help them since their reserves are poo poo.

The AFL ratfucking the old VFA clubs as much as they can before going to a full on reserves comp, and leaving the survivors with either no league to be in, or no opponents left to play against.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Between traveling from Camberwell to the city then back past Richmond again on the train I think I can safely generalise the appearance of the two sets of fans tonight

Melbourne fans: all in collared shirts with impeccable hair
Richmond fans: look like they all sleep in their car parked on the front lawn

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

How has Melksham still getting a game

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

thepokey posted:

Melbourne fans: all in collared shirts with impeccable hair
Richmond fans: look like they all sleep in their car parked on the front lawn

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Oh cool Spencer hurt his shoulder

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I think lowtax might need to get the spare server out

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

NTRabbit posted:

The AFL ratfucking the old VFA clubs as much as they can before going to a full on reserves comp, and leaving the survivors with either no league to be in, or no opponents left to play against.

The Roosters were already considering leaving the league last year and focusing on the Ballarat league where they already have a team. They also aren't even an old VFA club considering they didn't join the VFL until 1996

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Testekill posted:

The Roosters were already considering leaving the league last year and focusing on the Ballarat league where they already have a team. They also aren't even an old VFA club considering they didn't join the VFL until 1996

Isn't Norf aligned with Werribee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

McDonald!

Was surprised Hunt didn't take the shot from 60 out though, the ball has been rocketing off his boot tonight

• Locked thread