Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The Big Whoop posted:

I wish Platinum would do an Okami 2, but I guess capcom has the rights and they won't let anyone touch it :X

Okami 2 coming to switch!

I doubt that we will see a sequel anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There was already a sequel to Okami

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Okamiden was okay but it's no true sequel.

Cute as gently caress though.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i liked what i played of okamiden but it definitely felt more like a spinoff than the proper sequel i would've wanted

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cardboard Box posted:

i liked what i played of okamiden but it definitely felt more like a spinoff than the proper sequel i would've wanted

:same:

https://twitter.com/Famitsu_EE/status/856048403876204545

9S' pose is pretty boring though. I hope 2B and A2 are better.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

think of all the things you could make 9s touch

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I like the title of the Bunker theme.

I started the game, played for an hour, went to the jukebox, "bunker theme is called 'Fortress of Lies?' Yep, the humans are all dead."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I still cannot believe how on the nose that title is. They had to know, right? They had to know.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

CJacobs posted:

I still cannot believe how on the nose that title is. They had to know, right? They had to know.

The "mankind is dead" twist is so blatantly telegraphed already in playthrough A that I don't think Taro planned it to be this huge twist, and the game isn't even designed to treat it that way. Plus if you played Nier and remember the Gestalt stuff it's not a big leap at all to assume it ultimately went balls up.

(True Ending spoilers) To me 2B=2E is the true big twist of the game. It is hinted at but not obviously, and the existence and purpose of E units is buried away in a missable sidequest. The existence of E units also adds nuance to the prologue where you have the unit that was planning to desert and another E unit flying with 2E.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
E: high five dude above me

Antti posted:

I started the game, played for an hour, went to the jukebox, "bunker theme is called 'Fortress of Lies?' Yep, the humans are all dead."

I just don't know how anyone was fooled by that because the whole time I kept thinking Spoiler for original Nier "But we already doomed all the humans to death 6000 years ago, I played Nier. I know how we hosed it up."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

E: high five dude above me

I just don't know how anyone was fooled by that because the whole time I kept thinking Spoiler for original Nier "But we already doomed all the humans to death 6000 years ago, I played Nier. I know how we hosed it up."

I second guessed myself a time or two just on "The humans are dead. But that's obvious. So maybe the humans aren't dead yet, and they die again somehow? Because, man. It's obvious how dead they are. Too obvious.

Kept me busy while the game set everything else up, though.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Antti posted:

The "mankind is dead" twist is so blatantly telegraphed already in playthrough A that I don't think Taro planned it to be this huge twist, and the game isn't even designed to treat it that way. Plus if you played Nier and remember the Gestalt stuff it's not a big leap at all to assume it ultimately went balls up.

(True Ending spoilers) To me 2B=2E is the true big twist of the game. It is hinted at but not obviously, and the existence and purpose of E units is buried away in a missable sidequest. The existence of E units also adds nuance to the prologue where you have the unit that was planning to desert and another E unit flying with 2E.

It's definitely not even a twist but something to make you go "Wait that ain't right" if you played Nier. It kinda shakes you up and makes you doubt whether you should trust on what you know about the story and I like that.

Ultimately the way I see it Automata isn't a story that relies on twists at all to be good and I appreciate that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Endgame spoilers: Is the 'Rescue Offer' I keep getting during the credits fight an actual one, or just some 'oh you want to actually delete your save? okay!' crap?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Justin_Brett posted:

Endgame spoilers: Is the 'Rescue Offer' I keep getting during the credits fight an actual one, or just some 'oh you want to actually delete your save? okay!' crap?

Accept it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished Route A. Good thing they blew 2Bs skirt to pieces in case you didn't get a glimpse of thong 1000 times already.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes, yes it is a good thing. Now do your duty and blow 9s' pants off as well.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Finished Route A. Good thing they blew 2Bs skirt to pieces in case you didn't get a glimpse of thong 1000 times already.

It's a leotard...

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I kinda wanna do challenge runs to spice up replays because I want something different but Hard isn't very fun. I'm thinking like bare fists only and no chips

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Can someone remind me, what exactly did D&P do in the ending of the original Nier that people would blame them for that whole situation going tits-up? I thought they were literally just two immortal android overseers to a program that had basically been running on autopilot, and slooooowly breaking down because of... basically just entropy. Not like there was anything they could've done.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ghost of Starman posted:

Can someone remind me, what exactly did D&P do in the ending of the original Nier that people would blame them for that whole situation going tits-up? I thought they were literally just two immortal android overseers to a program that had basically been running on autopilot, and slooooowly breaking down because of... basically just entropy. Not like there was anything they could've done.

Basically they failed to kill the player character.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Ghost of Starman posted:

Gestalt Nier (Shadowlord) figured out that there was nothing that could save his Daughter, so he stopped co-operating with the project (which meant that all other Gestalts stopped receiving Maso and were slowly going berserk). The only choice they had was some Plan Z type thing where they could force all Gestalts to take over their Replicant bodies, but the Replicants by that point had become self-aware and wouldn't take too kindly to that. Their failure was stopping Replicant Nier from getting his daughter back and killing Gestalt Nier (Shadowlord) to do that.

I think.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Fangz posted:

Basically they failed to kill the player character.

Who, if I'm not mistaken about which of the original title's endings is considered canon, never existed as far as anyone else is concerned, so nobody could point fingers at him instead if they wanted to. Granted it's entirely possible I am mistaken about that, in which case nevermind.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Johnny Landmine posted:

Who, if I'm not mistaken about which of the original title's endings is considered canon, never existed as far as anyone else is concerned, so nobody could point fingers at him instead if they wanted to. Granted it's entirely possible I am mistaken about that, in which case nevermind.

Emil mentions Nier off-handedly so Ending D is prob not in whatever mix of endings leads to Automata

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Johnny Landmine posted:

Isn't the canon ending that leads to Nier: Automata the not actually in game joke Ending E from a drama CD or something where aliens invade?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want the A2 model

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Zereth posted:

Isn't the canon ending that leads to Nier: Automata the not actually in game joke Ending E from a drama CD or something where aliens invade?

That's not really an "ending". It's just a story of "this is what Emil was up to way past the story of the game"

There are loads of short stories and such but only really Space War and Flame of Prometheus are directly referred to in Automata

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Cardboard Box posted:

Yoko's Organization [of] Really Hot Androids
Spoiler tag please.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Nina posted:

Emil mentions Nier off-handedly so Ending D is prob not in whatever mix of endings leads to Automata

Welp! Scratch that, then.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Then again Emil is literally magic so he might be an exception.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
(OG Nier spoilers) Nier is brought back to life after the events of the game, thanks to Kaine and Emil (who has made himself a new machine body), via the sacred forest's stored memories of him in the Grimoire Nier series of novels. If you wanna take that as canon, that is. With Yoko Taro who loving knows.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

CJacobs posted:

(OG Nier spoilers) Nier is brought back to life after the events of the game, thanks to Kaine and Emil (who has made himself a new machine body), via the sacred forest's stored memories of him in the Grimoire Nier series of novels. If you wanna take that as canon, that is. With Yoko Taro who loving knows.

I think the answer is really that it doesn't matter since everyone who isn't a machine or a magic weirdo is long dead anyways so you're kinda free to believe in whatever you want

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
*in extremely Weiss voice* How utterly boring.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Okamiden was okay but it's no true sequel.

Cute as gently caress though.

Okami-den was boring, (not unplayable, but boring) and just a inferior remake of Okami.
Chibi is A Good Boy, however (yes he is, yesssss he isssss).
It's like someone told them about the most charming parts of Okami and they ran it through a cheese grater.
Somehow the artists on the original game managed to have a quadruped wielding a giant fuckoff sword with it looking weird.
Now imagine that and the beadspitting in this engine.

What were y'alls favorite tracks? I regularly have Pascal's village stuck in my head

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Big Whoop posted:

What were y'alls favorite tracks? I regularly have Pascal's village stuck in my head

Birth of a Wish, tho I'm a little bummed the official OST doesn't have the version with the chanting of "this cannot continue"

And Weight of the World the End of YorHa because holy crap it's good.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

a kitten posted:

Birth of a Wish, tho I'm a little bummed the official OST doesn't have the version with the chanting of "this cannot continue"

I'm like 90% sure that it's because "this cannot continue" (and "become as gods") are actually on the voice track and not part of the BGM track, rather than them having two separate versions of the BGM itself keyed to audio language.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Big Whoop posted:

Okami-den was boring, (not unplayable, but boring) and just a inferior remake of Okami.
Chibi is A Good Boy, however (yes he is, yesssss he isssss).
It's like someone told them about the most charming parts of Okami and they ran it through a cheese grater.
Somehow the artists on the original game managed to have a quadruped wielding a giant fuckoff sword with it looking weird.
Now imagine that and the beadspitting in this engine.

Obviously, Okamiden didn't have to be DS game so this excuse isn't especially valid, but I think it's about the best possible portrayal that Okami could have gotten on the DS console, which was just a bad idea in the first place because it having a stylus doesn't mean it's a good platform for an Okami game.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

A Beautiful Song is a perfect title for that one. I keep humming it to myself the most of the entire soundtrack.

On the total opposite end, I'm also really in love with Blissful Death and Mourning. For all the awesome battle themes, the soundtrack has some amazing melancholy songs too.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The Big Whoop posted:

I'm a big fan of Wretched Weaponry and other "sequels" to original Nier's tracks. I'm generally a bigger fan of the atmospheric area BGMs than the more bombastic boss tracks.

Caphi posted:

I'm like 90% sure that it's because "this cannot continue" (and "become as gods") are actually on the voice track and not part of the BGM track, rather than them having two separate versions of the BGM itself keyed to audio language.

That's most definitely the case especially since the DLC plays the version with sampled Yosuke Matsuda voice clips in the same spots

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Their biggest failure was not trying to put a stop to Nier's rampage before it was too late. I always figured they felt genuinely sorry for him and Yonah and didn't know how to handle him. Popola tries repeatedly to talk him into moving on with his life and accept Yonah's fate. The scene where the sisters ask him to go back to the village is less of a manipulative maneuver and more of a desperate attempt to stop him without violence. They failed and Nier & friends slaughtered everyone including the important Shadowlord.

If they'd been emotionless machines they could have stopped/killed him years before then, but they weren't so they let him be. Of course, he was also one of the biggest defenses against the rampaging shadows.

It's not even guaranteed they would have been able to salvage the situation with him gone. They were caught between a rock and a hard place. But they were in charge of the area so it's not hard to see why they would be blamed for such a catastrophic failure.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Thinking of buying this game. How is the PC port? I'd be playing on PC. Do you still get the full corpse multiplayer interaction on PC or how was that changed?