Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Pilsner posted:

Wow that's nice. I guess auto-Backstab isn't so good for Rogues, but for a Monk, why not.
I've started wondering about this. With Chaotic Stab and all the AAs that make it so any-direction backstab will do damage, assuming it lands and not as much as from behind, does backstab ever get to the point where its better to be kept on cooldown, or is it always going to be better to save it for correct positioning?

My assumption with Frenzied Stabbing is that for the duration of the disc, you'll always want to be backstabbing regardless of direction. The other, more exotic conditionals, that's where I'm curious if anyone has actually tested it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Pilsner posted:

Now if they could just make swimming like in WoW where it's pretty much like flying, that'd be swell.

Tanking PoWater as a warrior in-era remains my least favorite MMO experience of all time, gently caress. lovely internet connection sure didn't help either.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Suprfli6 posted:

Tanking PoWater as a warrior in-era remains my least favorite MMO experience of all time, gently caress. lovely internet connection sure didn't help either.

PoWater in era was lovely for everyone involved, melee especially, but it sucked for casters too. Geometry got REALLY loving weird underwater, I forget exactly what we figured out the problem was, but i think it had to do with the servers thinking the model was actually on the ground for LOS checks, so you had to watch the gently caress out of target rings because those always showed on the ground, and if it went behind a rock you either had to reposition the casters or reposition the mob.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Hey guys, heavily considering fooling around in Agnarr. I'm probably gonna play a tank, which probably means knight. Leaning towards Paladin because I don't wanna be another SK.

Anyone have a Paladin 101 leveling/basic gearing guide? Thanks!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

FranktheBank posted:

Hey guys, heavily considering fooling around in Agnarr. I'm probably gonna play a tank, which probably means knight. Leaning towards Paladin because I don't wanna be another SK.

Anyone have a Paladin 101 leveling/basic gearing guide? Thanks!

I do not, but paladins are gods* you have chosen wisely.

*this might not be true until PoP, I'm not sure how all the changes have affected early paladins, but we boxed one in PoP+ and they became amazing.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

MF_James posted:

I do not, but paladins are gods* you have chosen wisely.

*this might not be true until PoP, I'm not sure how all the changes have affected early paladins, but we boxed one in PoP+ and they became amazing.

I have this vague recollection of PO, LDON and LoY being great for Undead killahs. Is it correct or am I misremembering?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

FranktheBank posted:

I have this vague recollection of PO, LDON and LoY being great for Undead killahs. Is it correct or am I misremembering?

I don't think LoY will be on agnarr, but otherwise yeah, there's a lot of undead poo poo. PoD/CoD in PoP (maybe more that i'm not remembering) and a bunch of the dungeons/raids are undead in LDoN.

frostcrypt was a shitload of fun to XP in with a paladin tank, those giants hit like loving trucks but the xp was killer.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 20, 2017

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

MF_James posted:

I don't think LoY will be on agnarr

It is on Agnarr, and actually will be getting a full 12 weeks for some reason.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/agnarr-faq-pop-locked-progression-server-coming-weds-may-24-2017.239813/

quote:

On the unlock schedule for this server, the following expansions will become available: The Ruins of Kunark, The Scars of Velious, The Shadows of Luclin, The Planes of Power, The Legacy of Ykesha, Lost Dungeons of Norrath.

Instead, every 12 weeks, expansion content will unlock on this server.

No expansions are scheduled to unlock together, like The Legacy of Ykesha and Lost Dungeons of Norrath have done on some previous progression servers.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I forgot LoY came before LDoN.

LoY is fairly boring for a max level player anyway though, there isn't poo poo to do iirc.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
No, there's like a few zones you get. They released with PoP on Phinny. My bard got some cure songs that are super loving helpful though.

So I think there's a few things like that for people, spells/songs etc. And hey, the Hate's Fury instance if they gently caress up and leave that in again!

I think it's getting 12 weeks just to stretch out the life of the server.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

xZAOx posted:

No, there's like a few zones you get. They released with PoP on Phinny. My bard got some cure songs that are super loving helpful though.

So I think there's a few things like that for people, spells/songs etc. And hey, the Hate's Fury instance if they gently caress up and leave that in again!

I think it's getting 12 weeks just to stretch out the life of the server.

Yeah there's the cure spells/songs, but overall there's not a lot there for a max level player, the base LoY expansion was for levels like 1-55 or something.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
LoY doesn't have a whole lot at max yeah but crypt of nadox is a pretty good headshot location cash wise. There's also a few shiny pieces for twinks and it has some fantastic power level zones.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

MF_James posted:

PoWater in era was lovely for everyone involved, melee especially, but it sucked for casters too. Geometry got REALLY loving weird underwater, I forget exactly what we figured out the problem was, but i think it had to do with the servers thinking the model was actually on the ground for LOS checks, so you had to watch the gently caress out of target rings because those always showed on the ground, and if it went behind a rock you either had to reposition the casters or reposition the mob.

That's exactly it.

EQ mostly ignores Z-axis and calculates LoS by going from the center of models on the ground (aka, feet). It's part of the reason things get stupid when players or mobs are flying/floating/swimming. Another problem is the wildly varying ways that geometry and flavor decals like grass are treated for LoS purposes. In older outdoor zones, all the geometry is 'clear' and won't disrupt LoS. While indoor zones and newer outdoor zones treat geometry as 'opaque' for LoS, sometimes even counting bushes or animated texture planes like fish in PoWater.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
Now to decide Human vs Erudite for pally. I've never been a huge fan of erudite starting area (mostly because I am the least familiar with it), so I guess i would be Immediately going to Qeynos.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

FranktheBank posted:

Now to decide Human vs Erudite for pally. I've never been a huge fan of erudite starting area (mostly because I am the least familiar with it), so I guess i would be Immediately going to Qeynos.

or you could be a boss and be a high elf paladin.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

MF_James posted:

or you could be a boss and be a high elf paladin.

I actually did this on P99. My nostalgia remembered High elf looking great in bronze... it was wrong. Also, I forsee Crushbone being far more occupied than Blackburrow. I might be wrong though.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Depends if they're keeping the nerfed as poo poo quest experience they had on Phinny. Although I guess if they're doing ragefire style XP that won't matter as much to you besides a cherry on top. But don't count on any hot poo poo camps being easy to get to like GEBs or black alloy medallions. GEBs were especially atrocious for trains and box crews hoarding for hours.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

FranktheBank posted:

Humans suck, it's an RPG with elves and ogres and poo poo man! Erudites are technically crappy due to low stats, no night vision and far-away starting area, but are ok in my book because they are so obscure and special. Also, you can look forward to:

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Pilsner posted:

Humans suck, it's an RPG with elves and ogres and poo poo man! Erudites are technically crappy due to low stats, no night vision and far-away starting area, but are ok in my book because they are so obscure and special. Also, you can look forward to:

yeah, the Shield and the obscurity is pretty good. Humans are only on the table cuz plate armor. I wish I could get a clear picture of what each race looks like in full plate.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Pilsner posted:

As a human paladin, back in 1999 or whenever Hate was released, I was so pissed when this thing wasn't human usable. It isn't racism! Actually, it is racism! Against everything non Erudite! This is the origin of social justice paladins warriors!

That thing is better than Velious equipment, its really drat good.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I loved those little race specific items. On Rallos Zek it was a faction nightmare being a Dark Elf cleric but I could break your SoW and snare you a bit with my Clinging Darkness amulet.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Human Clerics owned in that you got a skeleton illusion item for mana regeneration.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Null1fy posted:

Human Clerics owned in that you got a skeleton illusion item for mana regeneration.

All the cool kids did the Words of Darkness quest because even though it was only equippable by necros, you could click it from inventory. Only a tiny bit of mana regeneration but it was enough to save you from being mezzed by evil enchanters. :D

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If any of yall got eldrig the old's guts (chromodrac guts) sitting in the bank on Phinny, I'd like to work out a deal for then or whatever. Last part for my bards epic.

Send tell to hatsune or megpoid.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
Is there any hidden gems about Erudin starting or should I just head to Qeynos immediately?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Go to qeynos. The warrens won't be open yet, people won't want to go to kerra ridge probably and the only thing that really stands out is wisp isle on eruds crossing which is worthless to you since you won't have a magical weapon and paineel which has those fire beetles that spawn at a hilariously fast rate. That also won't be useful to you unless you sell them since the quest to turn in fire beetle eyes requires a good chunk of factioning for a neutral character, much less a good paladin.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
How well do rangers perform in the group game on live servers? I've always wanted to try one, but there has always been better options. Is that still the case?

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007
My ranger is dope, rangers are dope. Make a ranger.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Could someone explain how the loot lockout timer works ? If I've partially done an elemental plane so have some named lockouts and the loot lockout, can I join someone else's new raid when they just have the named left that I don't have lockouts for ?

Or would the more generic zone loot lockout stop that from happening or impact the raid ?

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Maybe I'm not supposed to ask, but is anyone selling Krono before Agnarr starts?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

FranktheBank posted:

yeah, the Shield and the obscurity is pretty good. Humans are only on the table cuz plate armor. I wish I could get a clear picture of what each race looks like in full plate.
Here are a couple links you should check out then:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Fashion

http://web.archive.org/web/20021016132126/http://everquest.allakhazam.com/equipment/fashion/Fashion_Table.html

e: forgot some of you heathens probably use those rear end-ugly Luclin updated models, here they are:

http://web.archive.org/web/20021003001210/http://everquest.allakhazam.com:80/dyn/fashion.html

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 25, 2017

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Amazing. Thanks!

If I used Luclin models, I would probably go High Elf. Erudite ain't bad though. Erudite in classic models it is! (Secondary would half-elf).

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

History lesson time.

Let's show some appreciation for those ancient item screenshots on Alla from the Classic era:

EQ was a simple game back then. You can't help but notice the lack of overall streamlining - why is it "Atk Delay" (Atk abbreviated, but Delay not), and why "DMG" instead of "Damage"? Why "WT", but the wordy "Effect"? Typical EQ.

Also notice the lack of a "Slot" description. Up until late Kunark, or was it early Velious, items didn't say which slow they fit in. Most items gave themselves away, but certain one-handed weapons were restricted to Offhand, but wouldn't show it from the stats page. Certains items such as the Shield of the Immaculate could be equipped both in the Back and Shield slot. The Pulsating Gem from Nexona in pre-revamp Veeshan's Peak could be equipped in both Neck, Primary and Secondary, and I clearly remember a website post by Afterlife (one of the uberguilds), complaining that sometimes they'd get drops in VP for which they didn't even know which slot they fit in.

Deciphering the "Effect:" stat on an item was also up to common knowledge of your fellow players. Looking at the item, you didn't know whether it was a clickie or a combat proc, whether it could be clicked from inventory or not, nor which level it could be clicked or procced at. That stuff came many, many years later, in small pieces. The Haste stat was also mysterious, and it was a daily recurring event in public chat channels that people asked "how much Haste % does the FBSS have???" (the answer is 21%). I don't know where people originally got the info from, but I guess either GM/dev spills or ShowEQ sniffing.

The Size stat was, as far as I know, present in the game early on, but hidden on items. Bags would hold items up to a certain size - Small, Medium, Large and Giant. There was also the rare Tiny size, but I believe this was only present on coin purses, which could hold no items, but had the special hidden effect of reducing coin weight. Anyway, all items had a Size, but it wasn't shown in the UI, you'd just get an error message in your chat window if you attempted to put an item too large into a bag. An infamous case of the Size stat causing issues was the Wurmslayer. Originally, it was specially coded to not even fit in bags at all, then in February 2001, changed to fit in Giant size bags. This still caused so much trouble amongst players. A scam frequently arose in the EC tunnel: Scammer walks up to a guy wielding the easily identifiable Wurmslayer, and asks "Hey man awesome weapon, can I see it in a trade window so I can inspect it?" The proud weapon-bearer goes "Sure!", and puts it in the trade window (harmless as long as you don't click the Trade button). The scammer says "Wow, thanks!", then closes the trade window. The weapon-bearer potentially has no Giant bag with a free slot to fit the weapon, nor a General inventory slot free, so EQ does the logical thing and simply drops the tradable Wurmslayer on the ground, and the scammer picks it up and runs. They specifically changed the size on the Wurmslayer to the more commonly available "Large" to combat this issue.

I didn't witness it happen, but I assume that around the launch of Kunark, they changed to the slightly more compact view in order to fit more stats and effects, as particularly clickies became very popular in Kunark:

Alternatively, if you were using the old fullscreen UI:

With the Luclin UI overhaul, we got this when playing with the new UI, with basically unlimited space for stats:

I can't recall when the UI was again overhauled - anyone? We now have the modern item view: Ugly, but practical, and massively populated with a million stats:

The size can get ridiculous with modern items because of all the stats.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

The size can get ridiculous with modern items because of all the stats.

You can't get an image like that anymore, actually. Because of the statplosion, all those extra stats (mod2s) were baked into heroic stats. Everything from spell shield to clairvoyance I think?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

xZAOx posted:

You can't get an image like that anymore, actually. Because of the statplosion, all those extra stats (mod2s) were baked into heroic stats. Everything from spell shield to clairvoyance I think?

As someone who actually hasn't played since before that, what'a s heroic stat?

Bad Astronaut
Jul 22, 2005

Houston: We Have a Drinking Problem

Prism posted:

From Allakhazam:
- Heroic Intelligence: Increases mana pool, mana regen, and the maximum amount of mana regen an int-based caster can have. It requires +25 heroic intel to gain a single point of +mana regeneration.

- Heroic Wisdom: Increases mana pool, mana regen, and the maximum amount of mana regen a wis-based caster can have.

- Heroic Strength: Increases endurance pool, endurance regen, and the maximum amount of endurance regen a character can have. Also increases damage done by melee attacks and improves the bonus granted to armor class while using a shield. (10 Heroic STR increases each Melee Hit by 1 point)

- Heroic Stamina: Increases hit point pool, hit point regen, and the maximum amount of hit point regen a character can have. Also increases endurance pool, endurance regen, and the maximum amount of endurance regen a character can have.

- Heroic Agility: Increases endurance pool, endurance regen, and the maximum amount of endurance regen a character can have. Also increases the chance to dodge an attack, grants a bonus to defense skill, and reduces falling damage.

- Heroic Dexterity: Increases endurance pool, endurance regen, and the maximum amount of endurance regen a character can have. Also increases damage done by ranged attacks, improves chance to successfully assassinate or headshot, and improves the chance to riposte, block, and parry incoming attacks.

- Heroic Charisma: Improves reaction rolls with some NPCs and increases the amount of faction you gain or lose when faction is adjusted.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
That info is out of date - it's missing where they bundled all the mod2 poo poo into heroic stats too.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Prism posted:

Basically, they're the same as the standard stats; str, sta, dex, agi, etc; but they're not subject to the cap placed on the regular versions of those stats. So if you have 900 str from items and a cap of 800, but have 500 hstr, your effective str would be 800(cap)+500(hstr)=1300.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Well this seems like an appropriately awful idea, SO...

anybody hitting up Agnarr? Been a longass time since I've poked around EQ so I'm not sure really what's even happening these days or if any of you old timers who know me are even still around, but my new job pays me way too much to sit there and do nothing 90% of the time, so I decided I should spend it doing the only thing I can think of that's even less useful than staring at a wall. It'd be super swell of you guys to tell me what a terrible life choice I'm making and also join me in that decision on the new server

Edit - at least 2 old timers still around, sup Pils and xZAO :)

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Agnarr won't have absolutely trash XP like Phinny did but the problem is you will probably get unbelievably bored. Even with bad XP I quit a month into classic because it gets to the point where you have nothing productive to do besides roll an alt, train people at efreeti or camp that one weird item that's best in slot in classic but only drops in some weird 30s zone.