Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

HookShot posted:

I wish we had an option to vote for "literally anyone other than Clark" where your vote automatically gets applied to whoever comes in second in your riding. We're full enough of hippies out here that I wouldn't even be surprised if the Greens end up doing better than the NDP.

The Liberal candidate got 15% of the vote in my riding last election, yet everyone on Facebook is trying to explain that a Green vote is handing a win to the Liberals. Anyone have a map that clearly lays out which ridings are at risk without a strategic vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Strategic voting is stupid

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

Rent control started to be exempted in Toronto because everyone stopped building rental buildings in the late 80s and it was thought that ending rent control would incentivize developers to create new purpose built rental. I've read a few short lines in articles about the recent Toronto changes to rent control suggesting that this policy didn't work at all, and significant amounts of new rental wasn't created since. Unfortunately I haven't found any data or deeper articles with more details about this issue though. If someone has one please post it.

Earlier on the same page:

Maneck posted:

I have mixed feelings about the rental freeze. It has to happen when Landlords are doing things like doubling rent overnight because of what is presumably a bubble. On the other hand, landlords were actually building new rental units in the City: https://www.urbanation.ca/news/86-toronto-experiencing-rental-renaissance-new-report-shows

Presumably a bunch of those are going to get converted to condos.

It took a long bloody time, but in the 2010s large rental buildings with rental units were actually being built again.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yippee cahier posted:

The Liberal candidate got 15% of the vote in my riding last election, yet everyone on Facebook is trying to explain that a Green vote is handing a win to the Liberals. Anyone have a map that clearly lays out which ridings are at risk without a strategic vote?

if you're in Oak Bay-Gordon Head, Saanich North or Victoria-Beacon Hill, a vote for the Greens probably won't be wasted.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Removing rent control is just another form of trickle down economics and trickle down economics is complete bullshit.

Please elaborate more on this point. I'm genuinely interested to see how you link these two completely unrelated things.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maneck posted:

It took a long bloody time, but in the 2010s large rental buildings with rental units were actually being built again.

Are you saying there's a causal link? Wouldn't it be more likely that something more proximate in time is the cause of the increased building?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

blah_blah posted:

Please elaborate more on this point. I'm genuinely interested to see how you link these two completely unrelated things.

Benefit for rich landlords (lack of rent control) -> more housing being built for poor renters -> lower rent for poors (or at least more housing). Not saying it's right or wrong but that's how I read the post.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No one knows why exactly rental construction has come back a bit, but speaking for Toronto, pretty much all of municipal, provincial, and federal policy prefers condos whether you're the person building it or living in it. The changes in policy decades ago are why rental construction all but disappeared.

Lately though, rental prices are crazy and vacancy is at a 7-year low so building rental apartments seems like a good idea for some investors out there. Apparently it's been pension funds that have become interested in the monthly cash flow.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I expect with all the lovely investment-property artisanal landlords out there these days, you could even charge a slight premium to be in a professionally managed rental building, where the landlord knows what the gently caress they're doing and probably won't just toss you out for shits and giggles.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Are you saying there's a causal link? Wouldn't it be more likely that something more proximate in time is the cause of the increased building?

There is a causal link between when prospective landlords build and when they think it will be a good investment for them. As for evidence if why they started building again in the 2010s, your guess is as good as mine.

When the number of new rental buildings crashes in the next few years, though, it won't be hard to figure out why.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

It took me way longer than I'd like to admit to find my riding on this list because I completely forgot what the name of it provincially was :negative:

edit: and also it's basically the same as the federal name only shorter. I just wasted ages looking in "S".

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Evis posted:

Benefit for rich landlords (lack of rent control) -> more housing being built for poor renters -> lower rent for poors (or at least more housing). Not saying it's right or wrong but that's how I read the post.

Ya, this.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://vancitycondoguide.com/windfall-gains/

Congratulations hookshot

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

My mom's rancher with a completely unfinished basement that hasn't been renovated since it was built in the 90s was assessed at $600k this year lol.

edit: you can probably find my posts in this very thread about how it was valued at 400k like two years ago.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 22, 2017

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"You're going to need a job to get one of them classy refrigerator boxes to live in."

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Leave Vancouver.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

classic mansplaining

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh my loving god people are paying just under half a million dollars for houses in Shelburne

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/i-m-shaking-my-head-hot-toronto-housing-market-driving-prices-up-in-small-town-ontario-1.4077117

Get out of Vancouver and get out of Southern Ontario. Both of those places are beyond hope, especially since we all know that the government is going to do everything it can to keep this game of musical chairs going forever.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I can't imagine what kind of loving human garbage can afford 500k mortgages

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've been to Shelburne on a booze run once when I was a teenager on some sort of hippy camp out thing back in the late 90s. Unless that town has grown significantly it's no bigger than my own home town that was barely big enough to host a single decent grocery store a corner store a Home Hardware and a liquor store.

And people are spending half a million dollars to buy a house there.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/YVRHousing/status/855806189900185600

now we know why ontario consented to a foreign buyer's tax

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I love the idea of changing our definition of what a home is in order to keep the gravy train going, Baby Boomers are going to be the Last Good Generation, but only if we change or definition of "good"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

https://twitter.com/YVRHousing/status/855806189900185600

now we know why ontario consented to a foreign buyer's tax

Remind me, what did they do last year? Other than whistling past the Toronto graveyard while BC burned, I mean.

E: Oh, you didn't mean that Ontario did stuff last year.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/stephenpunwasi/status/855885930367995904

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

ð’» 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®ð’ ð’¾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Subjunctive posted:

Remind me, what did they do last year? Other than whistling past the Toronto graveyard while BC burned, I mean.

E: Oh, you didn't mean that Ontario did stuff last year.

The foreign buyer tax was implemented and empty home tax was announced to start in 2017. Federal government did nothing, but they've never done anything if only Vancouver is affected.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Is anyone else as amazed as I am at the apparent inconsequentiality of the $1M CMHC threshold?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The foreign buyer tax was implemented and empty home tax was announced to start in 2017. Federal government did nothing, but they've never done anything if only Vancouver is affected.

CHMC changed its stress test rules too, which probably just drove more people to non-bank mortgages.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
:tif:

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Leave Vancouver.

Working out for me. Monthly disposable income at 4 figures after all fixed and regular expenses while owning a house?

Don't think I could get that in Vancouver unless I work at Hootsuite.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Haha I know right. I mean sometimes the weather is a bit of a downer but it's still awesome, like this morning when I woke up early and wondered if I should go ride my new fancy bike or go rent an airplane for a bit and realized I couldn't do either so I just puttered around the house until my wife woke up.

And it dawned on me that despite having a median household income I had enough money that the only thing keeping me off of expensive bikes and out of a loving airplane was the weather. If I lived in the GTA or Vancouver it'd be the cripplingly high cost of living and that doesn't literally blow over in the matter of a few hours to a few days.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Family (and to a lesser degree, friends) keep us in the GTA. We tried compromising by moving to Hamilton. My commutes to Toronto were awful, the local job market was poo poo (I was offered 30 to 40k less there per year than I make in Toronto), and we saw our friends and family a lot less being that far away.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Family and friends keep us looking back to the GTA but it's becoming more clear that this "temporary", resume-building job in northwestern Ontario isn't ever leading us back to Toronto. We're now looking to Alberta or BC since we're already past that geographical threshold where more physical distance between us and family isn't going to change things, and there's better places to raise a kid than where we are now.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

https://betterdwelling.com/city/toronto/foreign-buyers-domestic-greed-121000-toronto-homeowners-multiple-homes-city/

An analysis conducted by the Ministry found that 121,100 people in the GTA owned at least one other home in 2016. This number was a 14.46% increase from the prior year, and was the highest year of growth in the 16 years of data provided. In 2000, that number was just 24,000. So we’re looking at a massive 404% growth by 2016.

I'd love to know the equivalent Metro Vancouver numbers.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/silver_watchdog/status/856168686247436288

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Could you explain the chart a bit for the idiots among us?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
We're hosed

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

Could you explain the chart a bit for the idiots among us?

I think it means that the cmhc will have problems selling it's mortgage backed securities which it buys off of banks. Which means that the cost of borrowing will go up for home buyers

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It's a big deal since this is the cmhc we're talking about and I don't think anyone should consider them a high risk under normal circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, they seem like a risk sink rather than source. Could they stop buying mortgages or change the terms on which they do so?