Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Vando posted:

Good news! The retirement date for the entire RAF Tornado fleet is March 31st 2019 so there should be no trouble getting our hands on some.

Oh, well then. I guess I'm adding a pair of those to my wishlist.

Tythas posted:

Yooper as far as refueling issues go you can set when planes go start deciding to refuel in the mission editor though this has to be done for each mission / plane (depending on how you set up missions) i would suggest 45% fuel

I think he said he at least tried to do that. Maybe that one got missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

power crystals posted:

I think the quantity of losses we took is kind of fair given the opposition we were facing (holy poo poo there were so many) it's just that both individual losses were somewhat embarrassing. The SEAD flight deciding to orbit a Strela-10 until they manage to line up a shot (while historically accurate for a Tornado :v:) was very silly. The other one less so because our CAP Gripens got tied up by the dictator deciding to feed his entire airforce to our meteors.

Someone earlier mentioned ALARMS. These are in fact very interesting weapons. They can be fired in loiter mode, in which case they just kind of hover around waiting for someone to turn on a radar, at which point they can fire a second rocket motor and go blow it up. The problem is that almost nothing can actually mount them - apparently our choices are UK Tornadoes (ALARM block 1 and 2) or Saudi Tornadoes (block 1 only). I imagine the UK isn't going to be too keen to part with theirs, but maybe we can dig up some of the Saudi ones?

The UK threw out their ALARMs in 2013, but it probably doesn't matter, since I think Yooper is letting us use any possible loadout.

For some light background reading on the sick Tornado burn, I would recommend checking out the Gulf War Air Power Survey, a gigantic (4,000+ pages!) post-mortem of the air war during Desert Shield and Desert Storm.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a273996.pdf - Summary (294 pages)
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a279741.pdf - Planning and C3 (686 pages)
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a279742.pdf - Operations and Effects + Effectiveness (838 pages)
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a279743.pdf - Logistics and Support (779 pages)
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a279744.pdf - Weapons, Tactics, and Training (529 pages)
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a279745.pdf - A Statistical Compendium and Chronology (972 pages)

Anyway, the tl;dr of the Tornado stuff was that low-level flight was dangerous and that aircraft designed to fly at low altitude were not as survivable as hoped. A-10s, for example, got chewed the gently caress up by Republican Guard AAA and were given a hard floor of 10,000 feet afterwards. The Brits lost six Tornadoes in combat and three in non-combat accidents (totaling 15% of the 60 Tornadoes they committed):

• one was hit by a SAM after egressing from a low-level attack on Ruma airfield
  • one CFIT when egressing from a low-level attack on Shaibah airbase
  • one was hit by a SAM when climbing to begin a pop-up attack on an airbase in southwest Iraq
  • one was lost to unknown causes during a low-level attack on an air defense site at Ar Rutbah (it may have been shot down by an Iraqi MiG-29)
  • one was destroyed by a 1,000lb bomb that detonated prematurely after being released from the aircraft
  • and one was shot down by SAMs while dropping LGBs at medium altitude

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

HARM would have probably killed the SAM, but it has to be launched while the radar is active. It's the first anti radar missile IIRC that used an INS backup to keep it headed towards a target that toggled it's radar off.

Later versions I believe have GPS functionality so if the target turns off it's radar, it still runs the risk of a HARM cosplaying as a JDAM smacking it.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
If the fuel trucks had been doing longer race tracks, the pair of Phantoms might not have pulled off just before release (though that was pretty hilarious "We're almost to release point on this target" "NOPE, NEED TO TOP OFF!").

If we could do mixed loads, the Tornado that decided to tango with a SAM unit could have dropped something (probably a Paveway or other Mk84 derivative) and moved on, to live another day. But CMANO doesn't seem to allow that, or requires heavier modding to allow it?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Random CMANO mechanical question; how feasible is it to update the loadouts/sensors of aircraft in the database. Was thinking that if we ever get a deal on a museum buy of F-101s or some other earlier stuff it would be could to throw a couple mil at them to upgrade them to use modern weapons and sensors, but I'm not sure if that's feasible in CMANO.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
:rip: Tornado crews, we will try and find some sweet drones for you to spirit-fly as is our custom. Just don't haunt the dining hall and shake chandeliers and poo poo because that's creepy and the ground mercs are superstitious enough as it is.

I think that went well all things considered. Rohan is turning out to be a bit more rogueish than I thought though. I thought she might get herself/our mercs into trouble taking crazy risks, I never thought she would flat out bomb hotels and stuff. Maybe we should send her to the Bering Strait where at least her random bombings will likely be of some benefit to the whales.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
CMANO seems to be turbo-grog to the extreme, so you'd probably have to research if they could get upgraded. There's not always the room for certain upgrades, requisite radar set(s) or other electronics for instance.

Though some stuff is confusing, like the number of AMRAAMs the Phantoms can carry; it was my understanding that they're about the same size as AIM-7 Sparrows, which F-4s carried 4 of tucked into/under the fuselage.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
They can carry four, just for some reason not when it's carrying a2g ordinance.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

LostCosmonaut posted:

Random CMANO mechanical question; how feasible is it to update the loadouts/sensors of aircraft in the database. Was thinking that if we ever get a deal on a museum buy of F-101s or some other earlier stuff it would be could to throw a couple mil at them to upgrade them to use modern weapons and sensors, but I'm not sure if that's feasible in CMANO.

You can actulay play around with a lot of strange things like giving the F-101 Voodoo a patriot radar and mount. However! In C:MANO you also need things link datalinks and wath not.
This means that while strange hypothetical units are possible the are quite a bit of work.

Stago Lego fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 23, 2017

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Maybe they're putting the LITENING and DECM pods in the other two Sparrow/AMRAAM slots, because the AA loads have the usual 4. I thought they were somewhere else (more centerline), but maybe they drop the front two to prevent bad separation situations.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Crazycryodude posted:

Did we do something to earn Ace proficiency, or is it just assumed we're all experienced pilots already?

I think it's just assumed that we're all elite pilots and/or Yooper thinks it's more fun.

Higher proficiency levels are pretty good. They boost the aircraft's effective agility for purposes of Pk calculation to represent pilots simply being all-around better at knowing how and when to maneuver. All else being equal, an Ace Gripen pilot is ~15% less likely to get shot down by a missile than a Regular pilot, and ~25% less likely than a Novice pilot. It also speeds up the targeting portion of the OODA loop, so our pilots can engage new contacts more quickly. Our F-4Es would take 24 seconds to be able to engage a new contact at Regular proficiency, but since they're Ace, they can do it in 16 (12 and 8 seconds for our Gripens, respectively).

(p.s. Yooper: I'm really enjoying this LP; thanks for the work you've put into it!)

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Aren't our Phantoms also missing the dual-launch rails for things like Mavericks? From what I looked around that seems pretty universal across CMANO so maybe that's deliberate. I do know there's plenty of real-world-issues that get pretty weird with some loadouts, like the A-10 can carry two triplets of Mavericks on its triple rails but firing the inner ones scorches the landing gear really badly so they only ever fly with four and leave those two rails empty.

Also I forgot to say thanks for updating the map, Yooper :tipshat:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Coffeehitler posted:

Maybe they're putting the LITENING and DECM pods in the other two Sparrow/AMRAAM slots, because the AA loads have the usual 4. I thought they were somewhere else (more centerline), but maybe they drop the front two to prevent bad separation situations.

Yeah, looking at some photos of Turkish Phantoms, that must be what they're doing.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quinntan posted:

They can carry four, just for some reason not when it's carrying a2g ordinance.

Greek F-4E carry targeting pod on front fuselage pylon for air-to-ground missions and AMRAAMs on rear fuselage pylons.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8268757

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Stago Lego posted:

You can actulay play around with a lot of strange things like giving the F-101 Voodoo a patriot radar and mount. However! In C:MANO you also need things link datalinks and ath not.
This means that while strange hypothetical units are possible the are quite a bit of work.

I'd like to request an F-106 with a AN/APY-9 radar set. Because AEW in general suffers from a distinct lack of delta wing.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

sparkmaster posted:

I'd like to request an F-106 with a AN/APY-9 radar set. Because AEW in general suffers from a distinct lack of delta wing.

That is possible however very unbalanced. It detects most modern stealth planes more than 100 miles away! It identifies F-22's 160 miles away. :stare:

BTW: Baloogan or anyone else for that matter how do you add Comms/Datalinks to existing platforms.

Stago Lego fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 23, 2017

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
Cheers Yooper, this game is scratching an itch i never knew i had!

I just want a wing of Cold War era British tin knocking about. Give me Upgraded Lightnings and Buccaneers Plz.

Fake edit: Hang on a mo, By my count theres 3 surviving Vulcans, 2 Victors, and 1 Valiant in the UK. Can we have the V-Bomber Force please? 21x 1000pounders in each aircraft would ruin anybodys day, and the Victors are tankers too...

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I don't know about anything else, but I do know there are at least three flying Buccaneers on the go.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quinntan posted:

I don't know about anything else, but I do know there are at least three flying Buccaneers on the go.

Also they are all in South Africa so fairly close to Angola right now.

Buccaneers are BAD in year 2025 or whatever

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Gervasius posted:

Also they are all in South Africa so fairly close to Angola right now.

http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/66/

Oh, I dunno, compared to some of the stuff we run...

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Yeah, thunder city in South Africa were running 3 buccs and 3 Lightnings. Unfortunatly they lost a frightning to a hydraulic fire (killing the pilot when the ejector system failed), and they all got grounded

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quinntan posted:

http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/66/

Oh, I dunno, compared to some of the stuff we run...

It would be probably this version:

http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/1553/

It can't carry anything even remotely modern. At least ex-RAF versions can load GBU-12s, this one can't even do that.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gervasius posted:

poo poo they weren't particularly good in 1985!

And yet it was up to them to strike the Soviet Navy's nastiest ships.

One of my favorite scenarios is the British home fleet vs the Soviet Red Banner fleet. The Royal navy's only real chance versus the Kiev carrier and friends is timed salvos of Sea Eagles.

The power output of a full fleet in full ECM mode is wild.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 23, 2017

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Gervasius posted:

It would be probably this version:

http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/1553/

It can't carry anything even remotely modern. At least ex-RAF versions can load GBU-12s, this one can't even do that.

There were only ever 12 of those, and all survivors are in a non-flying condition in museums. There's a bunch of S.2Bs that still survive, including the ex-Thunder City aircraft. I'd be surprised if S.50s ever became available.

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Well sod you lot then, i'm gonna make my own PMC, and we'll have Blackjack and Hookers AND YOU'RE NOT INVITED!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We probably should have explained (i.e. lied) to the Consortium and told them that we scanned abnormally high radar and comms transmissions coming from the hotel, and that on approach valued sub-contractors plane registered an intermittent target lock warning, so she took out the hotel because she believed it was being used as a disguised EWAR/SAM facility. That might even serve to drive a gulf between them and the dictator, if they think the dictator is using their residences as bait to draw in enemy air strikes.

I mean, if we're going to hire lunatics with the ability to blow up hotels, we might as well have lies prepared to cover for them.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anghammarad posted:

Well sod you lot then, i'm gonna make my own PMC, and we'll have Blackjack and Hookers AND YOU'RE NOT INVITED!

PMC that flies the Blackjack? Sign me up!

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Gervasius posted:

PMC that flies the Blackjack? Sign me up!

Yep, you just need to sign this bit of paper stating you've never heard of russia, and certainly haven't ever been part of the russian armed forces. Next Stop: the other bit of the Ukraine

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Whichever one of you did this, it's great.

https://twitter.com/AwesomeLeader69?lang=en

Especially the list of people you've already followed.

Command Chat

Lots of interest in a "Junkyard Wing". I'm not sure how to make it happen in a realistic way. I've tried to stick to things actually still flying. If I opened it up someone is so gonna ask me for an ME-262. Don't feed the wehraboos. (Luftwaffles? What do you call the Luftwaffe equivalent?) It seems if I use a Land Strike instead of a ASuW Patrol that we don't run into the "turn around at the last moment" fuel issue. So in the future we'll use the patrol to find the bad people and a Land Strike to do the actual bombing.

This is coming too. Prepare yourselves.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

Yooper posted:

This is coming too. Prepare yourselves.

Oh my god it's beautifull!
The aircraft also have hitpoints now?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Stago Lego posted:

Oh my god it's beautifull!
The aircraft also have hitpoints now?

I think it's all system based. Hit the right system and a fire can take out the whole jet. Also certain, older, aircraft might be able to take a momentous beating.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Stago Lego posted:

That is possible however very unbalanced. It detects most modern stealth planes more than 100 miles away! It identifies F-22's 160 miles away. :stare:

BTW: Baloogan or anyone else for that matter how do you add Comms/Datalinks to existing platforms.

I fail to see the issue here :colbert:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Zaodai posted:

We probably should have explained (i.e. lied) to the Consortium and told them that we scanned abnormally high radar and comms transmissions coming from the hotel, and that on approach valued sub-contractors plane registered an intermittent target lock warning, so she took out the hotel because she believed it was being used as a disguised EWAR/SAM facility. That might even serve to drive a gulf between them and the dictator, if they think the dictator is using their residences as bait to draw in enemy air strikes.

This is good spin, can we have the PR guys pass it along?

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

Yooper posted:

I think it's all system based. Hit the right system and a fire can take out the whole jet. Also certain, older, aircraft might be able to take a momentous beating.

Man this game. :mil101:
If you want to see something equaly detailed, try shooting hellfires at T-14 or merkava tanks.

sparkmaster posted:

I fail to see the issue here :colbert:

Hmm, maybe, one day....:allears:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

We're getting conversation out of the Consortium, but until we placate the local Director we aren't getting anywhere. On the plus side though...

I'm working on a mission brief right now, the Count is going to have a statement for us tomorrow. In a nutshell we get an opportunity to really strike a blow against the Dictator and make our friend in the consortium happy. We also have a little leeway in our mission to do as we please. More details to come!

On the downside it'll be terribly dangerous...

Don't think this isn't helping the Dictator too though.

Note, Free State's Kickstarter succeeded. They're into stretch goals now...

Yooper fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 23, 2017

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Hmm, if the Free State can run a kickstarter, can the count run a gofundme for some new airframes for us?

Pitch it like, fund us so we can stop the killing by getting better at killing the Bad Mans.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Crazycryodude posted:

If you need vaguely plausible spin to cover your war crimes, I'm your man! Ask anybody in the Battletech LP thread. :v:

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
What was that Kickstarter for again?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
The aviators we lost in those Tornados are going to have an even worse time than the guy who had to ditch in hostile waters. I get the feeling our dictator is going to publicly execute them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I think one went down over friendly lines, but I don't know if Yooper is rolling for surviving a shoot down or if he's assuming that a shoot down = death

Either way though, yeah, me and rokkit are boned