Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wow
This guy posts like a talking penis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

ZorajitZorajit posted:

And there it is, the last nail in the coffin of this artistically bankrupt cash grab. An entire episode of fan service of almost every imaginable flavor. At least the show isn't pretending to be anything else now.

What was the loving point of any of this episode?! The Scotsman's slut shaming his daughters already established "continuity" for the fanboy jerkoffs that need to obsessively update the wikia pages. But now let's just roll out all these old designs to remind the fans that they get their payoff for remaining corpulent babies.

Let's remind ourselves again that Ashi was abused. And then let's juxtaposed that with a long bathing sequence and a loving Tinkerbell fetish costume. And all of this, just for Jack, the projection-character-extraordinarily to be reminded that he's special.

I hate nostalgia.

Source your quotes.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Wait, you're telling a revival of a 13 year old cartoon - will cater to nostalgia and old fans?! A show that was literally made to give an ending to Samurai Jack WOULD CATER TO FANS?!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Maybe if someone caught the voice actress of the blue eyed girl she would be easier to identify? The only guess that I kinda lean towards is that her silhouette resembles the Lionmen hunters/Imakandi (which would also explain her knowledge of how to find Jack), but I'm starting to think her identity will be spelled out later. So far this show has been very direct at answering things that are brought up.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
thread, please don't get all upset and make 50 million posts at the guy who's either very stupid or just trolling

thank you

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

But seriously folks.
The whole drat point of revisiting all of these characters is proving Jack and Ashi's demons wrong figuratively, and in the latters case literally.

(And it aint like the show was a revelation in episodic storytelling anyways :ssh:)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

mandatory lesbian posted:

thread, please don't get all upset and make 50 million posts at the guy who's either very stupid or just trolling

thank you

But I want to know what is apparently the correct way to world build in 10 episodes!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mycot posted:

Maybe if someone caught the voice actress of the blue eyed girl she would be easier to identify? The only guess that I kinda lean towards is that her silhouette resembles the Lionmen hunters/Imakandi (which would also explain her knowledge of how to find Jack), but I'm starting to think her identity will be spelled out later. So far this show has been very direct at answering things that are brought up.

this is the last season, period, they said. so yeah they probably will at some point explain who she is, since introducing new mysteries for future seasons isn't the intent

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

But seriously folks.
The whole drat point of revisiting all of these characters is proving Jack and Ashi's demons wrong figuratively, and in the latters case literally.

(And it aint like the show was a revelation in episodic storytelling anyways :ssh:)

yeah, it was a fine set-up to ashi givng her speech at the end, and said speech wouldn't have worked as well without her little journey in my eyes

tho there is prob merit in this being an example of the truncation 10 episodes forced on the creators, i could see the journey being an entire episode with her finding jack at the end, and then the next being her helping him get past said literal demons

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Its actually kind of interesting to reflect on that: yeah, this was an extremely fanservice-y episode, but they make it emotionally relevant to the story. Demongo was the most blatant, but all these past stories were tied the reflect that Jack's stagnation in his quest isn't for naught, which has been the most prevalent theme of the season. Without that tying the episode together, the episode probably wouldn't be as good as it was.

I think what's really interesting about Ashi is her whole self-reflection about herself. Ashi's been trained to do "good" by killing Jack and serving Aku. Now she knows a) the roles are reversed and b) there's a way to channel that desire to help in a more positive way. And now that she knows that, she's able to reflect on her life and go "now hold on, if Aku is evil and I'm covered in burns/goo, was my childhood hosed up?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Scaramouche is the best.

"I'm alive. Do do doot do"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 23, 2017

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Even loving Demongo showed up hahaha

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
The ghost samurai standing there as second waiting for Jack to gut himself was pretty understated if you didn't already recognize specifically what was going on, but was still somehow more shocking than the penis joke. :stare: I think that was the first time since Beast Wars I've seen impending seppuku snuck into a cartoon.

Aside from the last bit this was a silly episode, but I mean that in a good way. :3: It's like they're trying to cover the entire range of episode styles the original show had. And it had a lot more going on than the previous - speaking of which, I think I was right in speculating that the last episode's "gotta get from point A to point B, not bad but not great as a standalone" feeling will be less jarring when you can just marathon the series in one go. Just having this one after it already makes a difference.

(Ashi suddenly redesigning herself into some kind of leaf pixie was a little jarring, but I guess it was already kind of foreshadowed/symbolically relevant since she was so into nature.)

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 23, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i don't know how you define something being snuck into a cartoon but a man sitting with a sword about to stab himself in the stomach, very explicitly, is not snuck in

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mushroom_spore posted:

(Ashi suddenly redesigning herself into some kind of leaf pixie was a little jarring, but I guess it was already kind of foreshadowed/symbolically relevant since she was so into nature.)

My favorite part was her getting out of the stream and going, "Aaaah. Finally, all that ash is off! *looks down* oh wait"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Finally saw the newest episode and while the pacing with Aishi is, well, there's no way to do that drastic of a character change in a 10 episode season that isn't really about her, but everything else... holy gently caress, yes, yes, I love this. Back on board 100% after the last two disappointing episodes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I thought the leaf outfit was pretty indicative of her mental state. Sheathed in Aku versus sheathed in the world he's been trying to destroy.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

And there it is, the last nail in the coffin of this artistically bankrupt cash grab. An entire episode of fan service of almost every imaginable flavor. At least the show isn't pretending to be anything else now.

What was the loving point of any of this episode?! The Scotsman's slut shaming his daughters already established "continuity" for the fanboy jerkoffs that need to obsessively update the wikia pages. But now let's just roll out all these old designs to remind the fans that they get their payoff for remaining corpulent babies.

Let's remind ourselves again that Ashi was abused. And then let's juxtaposed that with a long bathing sequence and a loving Tinkerbell fetish costume. And all of this, just for Jack, the projection-character-extraordinarily to be reminded that he's special.

I hate nostalgia.

keep going im almost there

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The sign on the ship said no dogs, then later on the ship Scaramouche was beaten up by dogs. Are we to expect they all rode giant penis men onto the ship?

Total failure of continuity, cancel the show.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
Ashi literally scrubbing the black off her skin was a, uh, risky metaphor to go for.

Also I'm kicking myself for not seeing this earlier, but Ashi's design (and Aku's for that matter) is probably based on Eyvind Earle's concept work for Maleficent.

I think 90% of the images in Samurai Jack are probably directly inspired by his stuff.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Unit24 posted:

There's no way she'd still be a child.

Of course not, but the short build and large eyes is similar. I could very easily be wrong, it's just that she was the first character that sprung to mind that resembled the silhouette and would definitely fit into that group of prior characters devoted to Jack.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

It wasn't a bad episode, but the parts with Scaramouche felt tedious. He's a funny character, but he worked best as a one-off, and the fact that he wasn't able to successfully contact Aku detracted from the overall plot of the episode. Unless he's able to tell Aku in a later episode, his bits were pointless.

Other than that, it was fine. While it was a bit fanservice-heavy, it tied up the plot well, because Ashi and Jack both needed to observe Jack's effects on the people he saved - Ashi to come to terms with her upbringing and Jack to regain his sense of purpose.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Serge Painsbourg posted:

Unless he's able to tell Aku in a later episode, his bits were pointless.

That's 100% what's going to happen.

There is also no chance he isn't going to get instant gibbed by Aku as soon as it happens. That's kind of Aku's thing. (Maybe he gets too insistent about being restored to #1 assassin?)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

mycot posted:

There is also no chance he isn't going to get instant gibbed by Aku as soon as it happens. That's kind of Aku's thing. (Maybe he gets too insistent about being restored to #1 assassin?)

That or he just gets gibbed by some falling scenery from Aku's freakout when he realizes he's been worrying for nothing all these years.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This was pretty much the best use of "nostalgia/fanservice" to advance the larger story and the overall theme of the show possible. If the original run hadn't ended when it did and this season had instead directly followed (with less blood, probably) it'd probably go down much the same way, with a showcase of all the differences Jack's made over the course of his years-long struggle to defeat Aku.

The central premise of the show is Samurai Jack's tension between doing whatever it takes to get home and undo Aku while still doing the right thing in a timeline he's ultimately trying to erase. It's a classic sort of time traveler's dilemma, and for that to work both the hero and the audience needs to buy into the future timeline setting and its characters enough that we wouldn't want to see them erased. Leaning on the sentimentality of nostalgia is an effective way of doing that.

I hope it turns out the Scotsman's ghost can see Blue Brain Ghost Jack so they can have a roaring argument about whether Jack should go through with his mission or simply defeat Aku in the present. I think he might have an interesting perspective on events considering he's dead and might survive in a revised timeline but may want the present to continue for his daughters' sake.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Squinty posted:

Ashi literally scrubbing the black off her skin was a, uh, risky metaphor to go for.

Also I'm kicking myself for not seeing this earlier, but Ashi's design (and Aku's for that matter) is probably based on Eyvind Earle's concept work for Maleficent.

I think 90% of the images in Samurai Jack are probably directly inspired by his stuff.

Good eye, that's really cool.

Also I noticed this

Might be a coincidence but, could be the same area. Funny enough this is where you learn that Jack's sword can't be used against him, and is design to destroy Aku.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
gently caress all yall , this episode was fun.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

mycot posted:

He's going to finally get to aku that Jack doesn't have his sword literally minutes after jack recovers it. second to last episode is my guess, second scene of final at latest

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I think the only disappointing bit of the episode was the rave... And that was more because of how it felt kind of cringe-y than anything else.

A shame, though, considering that's one of my favorite episodes of the series.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I hate nostalgia.

This is an amazing post.

Regalingualius posted:

I think the only disappointing bit of the episode was the rave... And that was more because of how it felt kind of cringe-y than anything else.

Yeah, I agree.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i did not watch most of the original run to have any nostalgia over it and this episode worked fine for me

Squinty posted:

haha wow, i didn't think about that

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I don't think there's that much to think about because it's pretty literal

Episode seemed good I didn't recognize anything because I didn't watch the show in its heyday but did I see Zorak along with the Astro and Two Stupid Dogs nods?

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Crabtree posted:

JACK WAS STRAIGHT UP HAUNTED?! SO DOES THAT MEAN BLUE SAMURAI'S REAL TOO?!

He is real and the Scotsman is going to beat the poo poo out of him.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

...I'm expecting the big final conflict will be Jack having the opportunity to either go back in time and defeat Aku when he was supposed to, undoing Aku but also everyone he'd met, or else accept the current timeline and try to rebuild post-Aku. He might've beaten the green samurai representing the crushing sense of failure and dishonor but Blue Jack might come around to agitate for completing his original mission...
I expect him to have to face Aku twice, beating him with all his buds in the future and then having to go back and take him alone in the past

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Grim posted:

I expect him to have to face Aku twice, beating him with all his buds in the future and then having to go back and take him alone in the past

I expect this as well, but i'm also expecting it to end just as he returns to the past.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
OK so here's what's going to happen. Jack goes to find his sword, or maybe to reforge a new one, or maybe some lame "the magic was in you all along" thing and he turns a random sword into The Sword. Meanwhile Scaramouche's head is used as comic relief, shown every other episode trying to get to Aku. And Aku is sad and mopey because he's bored and jaded. At the end Aku is almost ready to imprison himself in the Shadowlands Pit of Hate again, when the head finally tells Aku that Jack lost his sword. And Aku is overjoyed and flies out to kill Jack, but Jack has the sword and kills Aku. He finds a time portal in Aku's bedside dresser and goes back in time, and that's it.

Either that or Aku shoots Jack, and spends the rest of the episode wiping Jack's blood off his car upholstery before his wife finds out.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Here's something I just thought of: How didn't Aku find out that Jack lost his sword sooner? You'd think that one of his assassins or informants would've have tipped him off sometime within the 50-year time span.

I hope the next episode resolves it, because that is a major issue.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Gynovore posted:

Either that or Aku shoots Jack, and spends the rest of the episode wiping Jack's blood off his car upholstery before his wife finds out.

A much better april fools episode than r&m

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Jack probably killed any mercenary, bounty hunter or whatever that tried to get him for Aku before, leaving no one to pass the information on. And Aku never watched him long enough to find out himself, because he's too bored and afraid to bring himself to do it. Doesn't really seem like pressing issue to address to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Gynovore posted:

Aku's wife is Aku, in a polkadot dress.

• Locked thread