Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
I mostly play Thatcher in ranked, since no one else really wants to play as him and he is somewhat a necessity. Playing him in casual can really throw the other team off though, since he almost never comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I don't think thatcher really needs a buff

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I died as Montagne today in the most bullshit way possible, to the most annoying Echo ever. The guy would insta-lock to your head and blow you away, even if you millisecond peeked the fucker. I was stood in a doorway to the objective, fully deployed. He was to my right. He somehow managed to kill me despite the fact I was fully in the doorway with my shield covering me. Killcam specifically showed him shooting the right side of my deployed shield, yet it still managed to damage me? What's up with that. Is it a bug or is it working as intended?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0x3Cbcu_a4

Video from Monday. Only 7 guns have the damage you would expect when using a suppressor. 18 guns do less damage than they should, 22 do more damage.

P229 is heavily bugged but what kind of maniac wouldn't take a Bearing 9?

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Carecat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0x3Cbcu_a4

Video from Monday. Only 7 guns have the damage you would expect when using a suppressor. 18 guns do less damage than they should, 22 do more damage.

P229 is heavily bugged but what kind of maniac wouldn't take a Bearing 9?

You'd take wouldn't take it if you buy into Hard's Ubi-propaganda that the clearly inferior pistol is "actually really good."

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

The p226 SAS pistol is also really good but yeah there is no reason to take it over the SMG-11.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Thatcher has the same problem that pre-Hibana Thermite had; his gadget is boring but almost required and his guns are nothing special. Sure, you have Twitch that can replace him but the Shock Drone is far less reliable for removing batteries and jammers.

Maybe Thatcher's grenades could disable the announcer for the same amount of time that gun sights are disabled? Get caught in the blast and you won't know when someone enters the objective, grabs the hostage, or plants the defuser until it wears off. Gives him something to do besides take out a wall of jammers.

Yeah exactly this. Thatcher is an absolutely key character that almost nobody wants to play.

Probably a good idea would be coming up with some DLC characters that are alternate takes on Thatcher's ability.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There already are alternatives, twitch and IQ, plus on many points there are ways to flank and take out jammers from different directions as a regular operator. Maybe if they add another jamming/ disruption style operator.

But then I can't say I've really experienced this dearth of Thatcher players you guys are talking about, there's usually either him or a Twitch.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I miss old Thatcher when he could basically clear out the level of all devices with 1 emp

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
I almost never encounter Thatcher in casual. Twitch is much more common. Only problem is a lot of people during prep phase will rush in with the drone and get it destroyed right off the bat. Or they will spend time just shooting at the operators, instead of taking down mutes and what not. I actually get excited when I pick Thermite and some pubbie picks Thatcher. Makes me feel like they know what they are doing because no one else will pick him.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The days where you inexplicably play like utter rear end are the days I wanna uninstall the game. Where it feels like everyone is getting instant headshots whilst you get the jump on them but still manage to fail somehow.

I was Cav, flanking a Capitao. I put two shots into him with my pistol and he immediately whips around and plants one in my head.

I also have a severe dislike of the perspective mechanic in this game. Someone can position themselves so there's the barest hint of a sliver sticking out, whilst they can straight up see more than half your body. Trying to peek a corner ends up with me getting headshot before I even know where they are. Any advice? As attacker, I'm pretty much too scared to move on the objective cause if there's known roamers, I know I'll just get peeked and die.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 23, 2017

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Loopoo posted:

I also have a severe dislike of the perspective mechanic in this game. Someone can position themselves so there's the barest hint of a sliver sticking out, whilst they can straight up see more than half your body. Trying to peek a corner ends up with me getting headshot before I even know where they are. Any advice? As attacker, I'm pretty much too scared to move on the objective cause if there's known roamers, I know I'll just get peeked and die.

Drone, rush, prefire. If you slowly peek a defender holding an angle, you SHOULD lose. Attacking isn't about 5 guys winning 1 on 1's. A well set up defender SHOULD win against someone attacking his position from the direction he expects. Use your gadgets, open angles, drone and call out.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Nickname Pending posted:

I almost never encounter Thatcher in casual. Twitch is much more common. Only problem is a lot of people during prep phase will rush in with the drone and get it destroyed right off the bat. Or they will spend time just shooting at the operators, instead of taking down mutes and what not. I actually get excited when I pick Thermite and some pubbie picks Thatcher. Makes me feel like they know what they are doing because no one else will pick him.
Would picking both be overkill? I tend to play Twitch when i can but if shes taken i tend to go for Buck, but i like Thatcher.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

bobua posted:

Drone, rush, prefire. If you slowly peek a defender holding an angle, you SHOULD lose. Attacking isn't about 5 guys winning 1 on 1's. A well set up defender SHOULD win against someone attacking his position from the direction he expects. Use your gadgets, open angles, drone and call out.

That's great advice and I ought to do that more, but my biggest worry is the fact that I know there's one or two roamers about, so I'm always too scared to hop on my drone, and am too scared to smash a door down cause I know it'll attract them. That leaves me having to focus on three separate potential entries with which I can get flanked.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Would picking both be overkill? I tend to play Twitch when i can but if shes taken i tend to go for Buck, but i like Thatcher.

One of my favorite set ups is Thermite/Hibana/Thatcher/Twitch and either Sledge or Ash. Solid breaching team.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Flipswitch posted:

Nothing is overkill as long as you're good with that op's guns :cheeky:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Loopoo posted:

That's great advice and I ought to do that more, but my biggest worry is the fact that I know there's one or two roamers about, so I'm always too scared to hop on my drone, and am too scared to smash a door down cause I know it'll attract them. That leaves me having to focus on three separate potential entries with which I can get flanked.

Play Sledge - the hammer is actually quieter then elbowing the door, plus you get to create paths noone has thought of and catch roamers off guard. I usually bullrush the nearest wall I can open and then wreck havoc inside. This distracts the roamers enough that either me or my team can make progress. If there's a Cav in the game, I take one buddy with me tho, don't wanna fly solo with her in the works/

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

Kikas posted:

Play Sledge - the hammer is actually quieter then elbowing the door, plus you get to create paths noone has thought of and catch roamers off guard. I usually bullrush the nearest wall I can open and then wreck havoc inside. This distracts the roamers enough that either me or my team can make progress. If there's a Cav in the game, I take one buddy with me tho, don't wanna fly solo with her in the works/

Had a funny situation the other day regarding Sledge. I was on a drone, staring right at a Valk who was peeking a door of the supply closet in bank (right next to the CEO office), completely unaware that our team's Sledge was coming up to the wall behind her. I didn't get time to ping her, so the Sledge didn't know she was there. He busts down the wall and pauses for a second. She doesn't even notice that he's right there and he shoots her.

Also, curious to what gun people use for Ash. I used the G36C for most of my time with this game, but recently switched to the R4 (I had extra coins so I purchased the Spring Break bundle which comes with a sweet camo for it). The R4 seems like it has heavier recoil though. I have missed out on tons of kills because it kicks me way over the enemy's head, even with small bursts.

Nickname Pending fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 23, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I got dropped down to highest division in the Silver rank, and I'm back to having a fun time again. Deaths legitimately make me stop and think "Yeah, I could have prevented that" and fights are more fairly matched, whereas when I'm in Gold, most deaths leave me thinking "How the gently caress, I didn't even see them or know they were there, this is bullshit".

I guess I'll just keep bumping up and bumping down until I eventually git gud enough to duke it out with people in Gold.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

Loopoo posted:

I got dropped down to highest division in the Silver rank, and I'm back to having a fun time again. Deaths legitimately make me stop and think "Yeah, I could have prevented that" and fights are more fairly matched, whereas when I'm in Gold, most deaths leave me thinking "How the gently caress, I didn't even see them or know they were there, this is bullshit".

I guess I'll just keep bumping up and bumping down until I eventually git gud enough to duke it out with people in Gold.

This. I get very competitive and want to rank up high to, I guess, prove something? But drat if gold tier and up isn't bullshit. "How did he see? There is no way he knew I was coming," or "there is no way he could have that reaction time. I shot him in the loving head." I consider my self an above average to good player. Sometimes great if I have a strong team going. But getting matched with golds/plats is rough.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Glad I'm not the only one experiencing that pain. This game is so good when things work out the way they're meant to. I wish Ubisoft would fix the god awful queue times and regular dropped connections. Maybe adding a new rank tier as well that's somewhere between Silver and Gold, to give us people stuck oddly in the middle (where we're slightly too good for Silver, but slightly too bad for Gold) a chance to actually feel like we're making progress instead of hitting an impassable wall upon entering Gold.

Rocket League has ranked gameplay down perfectly. You never feel like you're against enemies who are ridiculously out of your league. You'll definitely be able to tell straight away if they're more skilled than you, but you always have that chance of winning without getting absolutely curbstomped. R6 is more hit and miss, with it being a rare occurrence when things are evenly matched. You either curbstomp, or you are the one getting curbstomped.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

Loopoo posted:

Glad I'm not the only one experiencing that pain. This game is so good when things work out the way they're meant to. I wish Ubisoft would fix the god awful queue times and regular dropped connections. Maybe adding a new rank tier as well that's somewhere between Silver and Gold, to give us people stuck oddly in the middle (where we're slightly too good for Silver, but slightly too bad for Gold) a chance to actually feel like we're making progress instead of hitting an impassable wall upon entering Gold.

Rocket League has ranked gameplay down perfectly. You never feel like you're against enemies who are ridiculously out of your league. You'll definitely be able to tell straight away if they're more skilled than you, but you always have that chance of winning without getting absolutely curbstomped. R6 is more hit and miss, with it being a rare occurrence when things are evenly matched. You either curbstomp, or you are the one getting curbstomped.

My highest rank ever has been gold 3. And that happened once. And I was immediately deranked following multiple losses. I have good map knowledge, good with giving/receiving callouts. I know to safely peek corners and avoid rushing in most cases. I know spots where people generally like to camp/enter from. But despite that, I will likely get destroyed when I get matched with those upper tier golds/low plats. Difficulty spike between silver 1 and gold 4 is baffling.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nickname Pending posted:

This. I get very competitive and want to rank up high to, I guess, prove something? But drat if gold tier and up isn't bullshit. "How did he see? There is no way he knew I was coming," or "there is no way he could have that reaction time. I shot him in the loving head." I consider my self an above average to good player. Sometimes great if I have a strong team going. But getting matched with golds/plats is rough.

The whole "how did he know? must be hacking" is so crazy in this, specifically a game about using teamwork and cameras and drones and holes in walls in order to get secret knowledge on player locations. I mean... its like the point of the game.

*gets shot by pulse through a wall*
"HOW DID HE KNOW?"

Also people who panic and fire off shots full-auto, miss every shot, and then act like the game is broken.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

And then sometimes you get the most bullshit shots imaginable. Like the time on skyscraper I decided to do some spray fire into some smoke in case someone was going to try to run through it into the bomb site we were invading. First bullet went through a wall on the other side of the doorway and headshot someone.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Nickname Pending posted:

Here is the secret that no-one's telling you. 1. Every single thing you do in this game makes noise. Running, walking, reloading, turning your view, adsing. Every tiny shuffle makes noise. 2. Get yourself a 7.1 headset, and play with the volume so loud it hurts.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
yeah, you literally need headphones to be genuinely competitive in this game the higher ranked you get

it really helps even in casual but i'll still wear headphones just because this game has some of the best use of sound i've ever seen in a fps game

also @hard who does the music in this game? i always enjoy the tactical spooky jams as i browse what few remaining clown masks i've yet to unlock

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The music as you slowly die is very creepy and foreboding. It's rare to hear it; typically you'll be killed or rescued before you bleed out, or will be somewhere loud. I got naded in cockpit on plane a while back; no one came to kill me and my teammates were too far for a rescue. The music was seriously unnerving.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Hey I just got this game's $15 starter set to see if I might like it. Any ultranoob tips?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Hey I just got this game's $15 starter set to see if I might like it. Any ultranoob tips?

Play it like counter strike if you've ever played cstrike before. Go slow, be cautious, check your corners; one or two bullets can kill a person like in real life.

That said, its not exactly as twitch-heavy as cstrike because there's so much more options and strategy involved. Don't be a lone wolf, stick with your team and try to talk to them if they're not assholes.

Like we were just discussing, use headphones. Positional audio is a HUGE part of this game. Listen. Everything makes noise, which lets you know where they are and do things like shoot them through walls.

Watch the newbie videos that teach you about how to breach walls and put up fortifications. They're short and important.

The starter set is unfortunately kinda junk because unlocking heroes takes forever and the full version often goes on sale for about just as much :smith: oh well you can still shoot mans

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Get on discord. Play with Goons. We are bad but sometimes Duggler or NoFreeWill will carry us and that's nice.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

Unlock some of the easier to play operators first, like Thermite or Rook. At least that way, if you are bad at shooting, you can still help out the team until you get used to the game. I'd unlock at least 2 for attack and defense before jumping into multiplayer.

Also probably try them out in terrorist hunt so you can get used to the way the game plays out and maybe gain some map knowledge. Callouts are essential in this game. Not so much in casual, but ranked for sure.

Oh, and if you end up playing Mute, please put his jammers against reinforced walls or windows, and not in the middle of the room where it does nothing.

Nickname Pending fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 24, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Nickname Pending posted:

Unlock some of the easier to play operators first, like Thermite or Rook. At least that way, if you are bad at shooting, you can still help out the team until you get used to the game. I'd unlock at least 2 for attack and defense before jumping into multiplayer.

Also probably try them out in terrorist hunt so you can get used to the way the game plays out and maybe gain some map knowledge. Callouts are essential in this game. Not so much in casual, but ranked for sure.

Oh, and if you end up playing Mute, please put his jammers against reinforced walls or windows, and not in the middle of the room where it does nothing.

Starter Edition makes it so basic operators cost 12,000 Renown. It's sort of disgusting, so he'd be grinding for Operators over the span of 20 hours before even playing multiplayer if he did that.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
lol its def not that serious to avoid pvp

as a new player, unless you have something you specifically want to do or specialize in gameplay wise, you can just look at any of the operators and pick whichever one is kinda interesting to you and have some fun.

like if you want to be a healer? play doc

wanna be a tank? take a shield user

tacticool sniper? go glaz

check out the videos, they'll give you a stylized idea of what they're about

all the operators can perfectly handle themselves outside of high tier ranked games and its not unusual to see good players dorking around as recruits for the fun of it

you'll eventually unlock them all through casual play. the DLC ones take a lot more to get to and i personally just went and upgraded to the season pass thing at that point even though this is one of my most played games

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Aye, if you get a tonne of enjoyment out of the game, nabbing the Season pass is pretty chill, cause 1) you support the Devs for continuing to update an (imho) amazing game and 2) you unlock a poo poo tonne of operators who are seriously fun to play with. I'm spoiled for choice over who to play most rounds.

Also, don't be disheartened, you're gonna be absolutely poo poo on until you learn the ropes. Map knowledge is by far the most important thing you can have under your belt. If you're attacking from one direction that's particularly difficult to break through, you can mentally figure out a better angle to attack and reposition to put more pressure on whoever you're trying to assblast.

Try and look up short and sweet operator videos on Youtube to get the general gist of how they work. When I first started playing, I picked Mute, and I was god drat awful at doing my job. I'd leave my jammers in the most retarded of places. Watching a quick vid on YT taught me that his jammers are for more than just drones, they stop people using breaching charges / gadgets on walls, etc, which is really drat powerful.

Also, a very tough thing to chew on is the fact that there's this thing called peek advantage, whereby if you know exactly where an enemy is, you can quickly strafe out of a corner, prefire head shot him, and have literally 0% chance of being killed, as the enemy wouldn't see you until it's too late (due to ping or some other technical reason). So expect to die a lot to this and get really frustrated about it, since on your screen, you see them for 1 millisecond before dying. A way to prevent this from happening is to reposition if you've been spotted by a drone or enemy.

All that said and done, try and have fun, the game is great and is super satisfying when you pull off incredible team breaches from 3 different angles, crossfiring the poo poo out of your opponents. Hop into the Goon Discord to see if any people are up for showing you the ropes and letting you in on their games.

If you're gonna play Multiplayer, Terrorist Hunt is really fun. Don't bother with Casual just yet, it's a lotto with regards to the type of enemy you'll be up against. Sometimes you're paired against absolute goobers who can't play for poo poo, but 80% of the time you're against insane tryharders who wipe the floor with everyone. Ranked is where it's at, your placement matches may be difficult, but you'll end up being thrown in whatever bracket best fits you and then matches feel a lot more fair.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Loopoo posted:

Starter Edition makes it so basic operators cost 12,000 Renown. It's sort of disgusting, so he'd be grinding for Operators over the span of 20 hours before even playing multiplayer if he did that.

Starter Edition gives you one attack and one defense for free on purchase, and enough rainbux to buy any two of the original operators or one of the DLC operators (and you can stretch it another 1-2 by waiting for the weekly sales to drop the coin price for the operators to 150-200). Getting two of each isn't an issue.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

Starter Edition gives you one attack and one defense for free on purchase, and enough rainbux to buy any two of the original operators or one of the DLC operators (and you can stretch it another 1-2 by waiting for the weekly sales to drop the coin price for the operators to 150-200). Getting two of each isn't an issue.

When are the weekly discounts?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

AnElegantPeacock posted:

NoFreeWill will carry us and that's nice.

This is pretty much my strategy. Poor NFW, always putting up with my poo poo play. :(

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why would you wanna be carried in ranked, though? Or do Goons typically just stick to Casual?

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Loopoo posted:

When are the weekly discounts?

Should change around the same time as challenges reset i think. Around every Monday/Tuesday 12:00AM EST ?

If you have the starter edition theres a new pop up notification the first time you log in after they changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
As someone who has had this game sitting on their account since launch bit never really gave it a fair shot, how hard is it to get into now a days?

• Locked thread