Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Sunday pre-releases are hilarious. Isn't it crazy how much better sealed pools get compared to the day before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

TheMaestroso posted:

I thought they only put stuff up on Wednesdays after maintenance?
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/amonkhet-magic-online-earlier-ever

Also I had a lot of fun at my pre-release. I opened up Kira Sphinx and the Clone with embalm, ended up playing a U/R cycling/aggro deck with a ton of fliers, went 3-1.

Also gently caress anyone who decides to cheat at a pre-release. My last round guy skipped directly to declaring his attackers even though I had the "can't attack/block" artifact out, hoping I would forget about it. He'd play a spell without tapping his mana and then try to cast something else, was tapping Painted Bluffs trying to use it for whatever mana color for free, blocked a 3/2 with his own Spinx and didn't put it in the graveyard saying "oh I embalmed it" without paying the embalm.

It was 4 in the morning and I just wanted to win and get out of there, but he was really testing my patience. If he tries to pull that poo poo next time I'm not having it.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 23, 2017

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Many thanks to Odiv, TheChirurgeon, Nibble, and The Shortest Path for taking time to explain some of the game mechanics that have changed over the past 15+ years. :hfive:

Decided to go to a pre-release at my LGS. Ended up playing a W/R aggro+life sustain deck (I dubbed it "Meow-Mix") which aimed to attack with cats and humans.

Went 4-0-1 to tie as first place (other 4-0 guy and I split the final round to get even prize allocation).

Not a bad showing for my first pre-release since... Invasion on 09-23-2000. :smug:

Really lucked out with my packs:
  • Sacred Cat (x3) and Regal Caracal (x2), which gave me boosted +1/+1 cats (and tokens) with lifelink.

• Oketra's Monument (x1), so I kept creating 1/1 Warrior tokens with each of my creature drops.

• Honored Crop-Captain (x2), for added +1/+0 attacking damage (and life sustain with the cats!)

• Luxa River Shrine (x1) and Renewed Faith (x1) gave me even more life sustain.
I managed to increase my life count to 62 in one of my matches.

In match-ups in which I didn't pull the cards listed above, my deck managed to pump enough aggro on its own that could wrap things up nicely.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Also if you have exert creatures the 4/4 Jackal that gives +1/+0 for each exert is insane. I got attacked for like 30 in one turn because of it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

you went 4-0 so i'm not gonna say it was wrong to play or anything but you probably had a better card then the Luxa River Shrine in your pool

everything else sounds bomb diggity good tho

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Took 2nd by splitting the with the other 4-0 that didn't play down, the 4-0 that did play down won and moved to first.
We played our 5th round for fun, and I would have won 2-1. Live and learn, but most the time just being safe and splitting the packs is the best way. We would have split 4 ways if we didn't have an awkward three people at 4-0.

My deck was actually pretty mediocre, I was forced into three colors (R/G/W) with three fixings, and my bomb was Samut.

My highlight of the day was in round two, and I was up agains the green and white god. I stole his green god with the red threaten, and pumped one of my guys once for the kill. Second game I got him down to three and Manticore to the face sealed it.

Set seems really fun for limited.

EDIT: Forgot to give a shoutout to my MVP of the day: 3 Cartouche of Strength. Card is nuts on curve in this format with limited removal.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 23, 2017

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

GonSmithe posted:

Also if you have exert creatures the 4/4 Jackal that gives +1/+0 for each exert is insane. I got attacked for like 30 in one turn because of it.

mandatory lesbian posted:

you went 4-0 so i'm not gonna say it was wrong to play or anything but you probably had a better card then the Luxa River Shrine in your pool

Ah! I did pull a Trueheart Twins:

quote:

You may exert Trueheart Twin as it attacks. Whenever you exert a creature, creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn."

Definitely makes sense with all the tokens and boosts I had at my disposal. Oh well. Most of my match-ups tended to be slow build-ups, so I didn't have much time between rounds (and I didn't lose, so didn't have much of a need to look into sideboarding).

Thanks for the heads-up on this one!

Edit: Since this is my first foray back into MTG and I'd rather not try to build a deck spanning 100 expansions, does this seem like a viable deck strategy for Type II?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

DoctorOozy posted:

Did anyone get Glorius Ended? I did. It was... :)

I glorious ended someone out. It was great.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I'm going to say it was 100% wrong to play and congrats on going undefeated with one of the 5 worst cards in the set in your deck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I'm going to say it was 100% wrong to play and congrats on going undefeated with one of the 5 worst cards in the set in your deck.

there is a distinct chance, very slim, before his latest post of course, that he had no better cards in his colors

like i'm talking had 22 of the best W/R cards ever and then everything else was filler in BUG colors

but he did have a better card, he even said so, but at the time, my statement was fine

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also there's no real point to saying it's "100% wrong to play" cause, hey maybe dude just wanted to see if he could win with a bad card in his deck, some people have fun doing that, it's a pre-release so who cares really

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I fondi Gideon an absolutely useless planeswalker

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I cannot imagine Exert is gonna be viable in Standard. I don't think it's even gonna be a good idea to tap down a guy for an extra turn late in draft matches, unless yoy're certain you're winning that turn.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

YggdrasilTM posted:

I fondi Gideon an absolutely useless planeswalker

Did you find it to be a pretty great removal spell?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

I cannot imagine Exert is gonna be viable in Standard. I don't think it's even gonna be a good idea to tap down a guy for an extra turn late in draft matches, unless yoy're certain you're winning that turn.

Glorybringer is a lock to be played in Standard, and Glory-Bound Initiate and Ahn-Crop Crasher will probably show up at some point. Those are the obviously good ones, not sure about other stuff like the extra combat phase guy.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Did you find it to be a pretty great removal spell?

It's a half pacifism for 3 that can be attacked or killed by direct damage.
It's terrible when you are behind on board, it does nothing to break stalls and its emblem is a joke

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yesterday I had a bricked Edifice of Authority and the other guy had Gideon, and neither one of us could tip the board to kill the other before the clock ran out.

I can't tell which one is the better version of the other. :v:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

there is a distinct chance, very slim, before his latest post of course, that he had no better cards in his colors

like i'm talking had 22 of the best W/R cards ever and then everything else was filler in BUG colors

but he did have a better card, he even said so, but at the time, my statement was fine

I'd play a 19th land before River Shrine. Maybe a 20th. Your statement was not fine.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Which card was more powerful for their entire tenure in standard: jtms or Gideon?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

born on a buy you posted:

Which card was more powerful for their entire tenure in standard: jtms or Gideon?

jtms had to get emergency-banned. Gideon, if it even gets banned, will be during the normal season

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

It's Jace and it's not close

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

I don't think it's even gonna be a good idea to tap down a guy for an extra turn late in draft matches, unless yoy're certain you're winning that turn.

Exert is actually very good in limited because it gives your idiot 2/2 something to do on turn 8. I had a couple Tah-Crop Elites in my deck and I think 40% of the attacks they made over the course of the tournament were exerted.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
is there even one close to as powerful as JTMS? like i guess lili of the vault is as ubiquitous in legacy, but i don't think she's even made it to vintage like jace did.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Definitely JTMS, Gideon spent a lot of time as a sideboard card before the last rotation. The current Standard format is just unusually poorly equipped to deal with planeswalkers, for various reasons.

jtms had to get emergency-banned. Gideon, if it even gets banned, will be during the normal season

JTMS wasn't emergency banned. The only card ever to be emergency banned from Standard was Memory Jar, I believe.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Tales of Woe posted:

Glorybringer is a lock to be played in Standard, and Glory-Bound Initiate and Ahn-Crop Crasher will probably show up at some point. Those are the obviously good ones, not sure about other stuff like the extra combat phase guy.

Well, the white ones for sure in Standard, if only because of Always Watching (I preordered four GBI's myself). Glorybringer's a bomb, regardless of whether you draft an exert deck or not, yeah. Last night I played RW with exert creatures, but by mid-game it would be pointless to exert because we were at a board stall, and I couldn't afford to let my shields down that long, even if I was going to loot or to bring back a 2 or less cmc creature. Once I did manage to exert team-buff bird and then blink it with that Vizier which was nice.

I just don't think it's going to be a good idea to go all in on the synergy, unless you're cheating around it with vigilance, which isn't an option in limited afaik. But I could be wrong :shrug:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tales of Woe posted:

Definitely JTMS, Gideon spent a lot of time as a sideboard card before the last rotation. The current Standard format is just unusually poorly equipped to deal with planeswalkers, for various reasons.

JTMS wasn't emergency banned. The only card ever to be emergency banned from Standard was Memory Jar, I believe.

Huh? Gideon was a 4 of in multiple decks for the entire time it's been in standard. It's been the best card in the format since it was printed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Jace wasn't played much early on, no?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Well, the white ones for sure in Standard, if only because of Always Watching (I preordered four GBI's myself). Glorybringer's a bomb, regardless of whether you draft an exert deck or not, yeah. Last night I played RW with exert creatures, but by mid-game it would be pointless to exert because we were at a board stall, and I couldn't afford to let my shields down that long, even if I was going to loot or to bring back a 2 or less cmc creature. Once I did manage to exert team-buff bird and then blink it with that Vizier which was nice.

I just don't think it's going to be a good idea to go all in on the synergy, unless you're cheating around it with vigilance, which isn't an option in limited afaik. But I could be wrong :shrug:

It's not a linear mechanic though, you can just play the few best ones. There's no such thing as an 'exert deck'.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Huh? Gideon was a 4 of in multiple decks for the entire time it's been in standard. It's been the best card in the format since it was printed.

You could argue Company had that honor at a lot of points.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Jace wasn't played much early on, no?

Jace got thoroughly owned by Bloodbraid Elf into Blightning, but once those were out of the picture JTMS dominated.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Collected Company was the best card in the format for most of Gideon's first year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

You could argue Company had that honor at a lot of points.

Nah Gideon was the most powerful single card since it was printed. There were some synergies with Company that were problematic but the card itself was always fine.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Tales of Woe posted:

It's not a linear mechanic though, you can just play the few best ones.

The guy I originally responded to was talking about an Exert deck in Standard, and

Tales of Woe posted:

There's no such thing as an 'exert deck'.

This is exactly my point.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

i thought it was off-season, crap i even played standard during that time and can't keep it straight :sweatdrop:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Reminder that Development has admitted they should've banned Company.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i thought it was off-season, crap i even played standard during that time and can't keep it straight :sweatdrop:

Back then the B&R schedule wasn't synced to set releases - JTMS and Stoneforge got banned in the next one after NPH came out but there was a month or 2 of Batterskull caw-blade and twin-blade before that happened.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Sunday pre-releases are hilarious. Isn't it crazy how much better sealed pools get compared to the day before?

If I can't do the first non midnight pre I basically don't bother going. People are scum.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I've been hearing some stuff about DRS being banned from Legacy. I think it's a good idea.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

is there even one close to as powerful as JTMS? like i guess lili of the vault is as ubiquitous in legacy, but i don't think she's even made it to vintage like jace did.

Dack Fayden in Vint, Gids is probably as close as we've gotten though in general and it's still a massive gulf

E: Free Dack Fayden, he's the hero Standard and Modern need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

mcmagic posted:

I've been hearing some stuff about DRS being banned from Legacy. I think it's a good idea.

I don't play Legacy. Care to sum up the arguments for/against a ban?