Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Discount Viscount posted:

Seth Killian plays crosshanded, referenced in Divekick.

This is pure madness.

I must try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Only Shallow posted:

Does anyone else like to raid thrift stores and pawn shops when they travel? All the stores around here are picked totally clean at all times so it's like the only chance we get to hunt for stuff. I've been really into late 90s / early 00s PC games lately to play on my Tualatin P3 build, and my wife has been looking for stuff for her vita. Some times we come up empty but some times we luck out and find places with flat prices per console, like $3 for any Xbox game. PC games are usually way cheaper than the console versions of the same thing. Some times places try to look up prices on ebay or gamestop right in front of you and then I usually just leave :v:

I hate to break it to you but Deus Ex Invisible War doesn't get any better in the PC version.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
reservoir dogs wow...there was that weird period during the ps2 when there were liscenced games like that and Miami Vice.

What do you guys reccomend for a capture card to capture PS2 / Xbox? Any suggestions?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Empress Brosephine posted:

reservoir dogs wow...there was that weird period during the ps2 when there were liscenced games like that and Miami Vice.

What do you guys reccomend for a capture card to capture PS2 / Xbox? Any suggestions?

You'd probably want an AVerMedia AVerCapture HD or Elgato Systems Game Capture HD. They're both high quality capture devices, only cost about $110, and support component input for the best quality out of your PS2 and Xbox, including high definition output for the games that support that.

Later versions of the Elgato Systems Game Capture range drop the component input so they're not suitable for use with the Xbox/PS2, they're HDMI only. They could still be suitable for capturing footage with a separate component to HDMI adapter box, since they'll allow recording at 60 FPS, but they would not be suitable for live streaming in this setup.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Why couldn't you stream from a component->hdmi box into the elgato? I have the elgato and was looking at getting a converter box.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The early 2000's expanded licensed games from the usual kid's cartoons and movies that had deals cut before the film was shot to pretty much anything. Of course, the cheap development and distribution has now moved over to smart phones so that's where it all is now, but there was a lot of weird crap that came out and was immediately forgotten about.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Didn't Vin Diesel get involved in a Chronicles of Riddick game because he didn't want to play a sucky licensed game of his own movie?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I always liked that a goon who used to play as SKill at Divekick tournaments would also play crosshanded. Also I feel that this is a good excuse to post my favorite wtf layout for a stick.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baron Snow posted:

I always liked that a goon who used to play as SKill at Divekick tournaments would also play crosshanded. Also I feel that this is a good excuse to post my favorite wtf layout for a stick.

Spying on her tits just isn't as good as driving you(r) nuts.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDMrncAy4U

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Light Gun Man posted:

Why couldn't you stream from a component->hdmi box into the elgato? I have the elgato and was looking at getting a converter box.

It just introduces more things that can fail while you're streaming, when you use the newer Elgatos without the component input support. You can do it if you want but it's more to keep track of for little reason, unless you really want to do 60 fps capture.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

It just introduces more things that can fail while you're streaming, when you use the newer Elgatos without the component input support. You can do it if you want but it's more to keep track of for little reason, unless you really want to do 60 fps capture.

Well mainly I don't want to have to buy a second elgato device :v:

I've got the PCI one with HDMI only hooked up to a HDMI splitter so I can run it to the capture and my TV at the same time. I've got a DVR box thing that can do (probably lovely but workable) composite in and output it to HDMI so I'm good there. Component is the only real blind spot in my setup as of now, so I'm boned if I wanna play original Xbox and have it look decent.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm using my Game Capture HD60 with the Framemeister. :shepspends: I don't care for streaming so I haven't tried that, but recording with this setup works great and the captures look fantastic.

I didn't intend to spend that much to record retro games, I just kinda ended up owning both devices and figured why the hell not.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gangnam Style

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I'm also a member of the El Gato HD and Framemeister club. Works great

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Framemeister is a dream but I'll prob try out the base legato. Not looking for anything amazing.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm still contemplating getting a capture card for live streaming. Since I'll be using it with RGB source my options are a bit limited. I guess the Startech cards are good, but it sucks that there's so little good information about retro console RGB capture around. (Framemeister+Elgato HD would probably be easier, but I don't have either one, and I still want to play the games on my PVM)

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

worthless. posted:

I'm also a member of the El Gato HD and Framemeister club. Works great

Yep, same here. I use the Elgato/Framemeister combo both for my produced video projects as well as for live streaming to Twitch/YouTube. It's a pretty painless setup and yields good results, once you recover from the agony of the initial sticker shock. My one frustration with using Elgato is that the software's color/brightness adjustment options are pretty limited, but most people probably won't be bothered by that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does the legato and framemeister record on disk or do you have to be hooked up to a pc?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Does the legato and framemeister record on disk or do you have to be hooked up to a pc?

You'll need a PC if you want to capture footage off an Elgato capture device.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I forget which one, but there's a device that'll independently record to an SD card, although I think only at 720p/30. Whatever the device is, it may only have HDMI, but I don't remember, maybe it has component in as well.

You can also do things the traditional AVGN way and record using composite and a straight-up DVD Recorder, as it's pretty drat close to a works-every-time solution.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Be careful of using the HDMI pass through on the old Elgato with non HD systems. A lot of TVs can't handle SD systems over HDMI. In fact I have only had one TV that can.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I've been cleaning, it's exhausting.

https://twitter.com/sacaitlin/status/856262299249766401

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Hella nice. I've officially run out of shelf space for games so I have to get another book shelf before I can make my poo poo look pretty.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Would the framemeister allow me to play Amplitude Frequency and Gitaroo Man on my HDTV with like no input lag?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Would the framemeister allow me to play Amplitude Frequency and Gitaroo Man on my HDTV with like no input lag?

It'd be better than your TV if it has a bad scaler. But there is inherent lag when using the Framemeister. Rhythm games can be playable given the setup.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Guitaroo Man is a PS2 game, so you'd probably be better off just using Component cables and plugging straight into your TV. Framemeister really only shines when upscaling 240p.

If you're using Component cables already, and your TV is in game mode, and you're still getting unplayable lag, the Framemeister probably won't help much.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Scarface, The Godfather, The Shield, Prison Break, 24... I kind of miss licensed games although they've all moved to phones now.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

al-azad posted:

Scarface, The Godfather, The Shield, Prison Break, 24... I kind of miss licensed games although they've all moved to phones now.
Scarface: The World Is Yours is actually a pretty good GTA clone, and some of the developers went on to make Sleeping Dogs (alongside former Rockstar, Volition and EA alumni). I've thought about LPing the Scarface game, but I'd probably need to get my hands on a less lovely version than the :effort: PC port I own (which may or may not work on modern systems... to be honest, it barely worked on systems from 2005).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Emulate the Wii version that was the best one wasn't it?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I tried to play The Shield a while back because I wanted to see how they translated it to a game (it's a weird idea that could work since in any games where you play a cop you're generally the most violent, reprehensible cop possible anyway). "Tried" being the operative word there since I couldn't get past the first five minutes of the first mission.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I've been holding out on getting a capture device because I'm irrationally annoyed that the march of technology [read: computers dying and being replaced by new computers with ever newer Windows releases] has rendered my Adaptec GameBridge that I got for five bucks unusable [without some chicanery involving virtual machines, etc.] This is like the old-man-yells-at-cloud-iest I've ever been about technology.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

How are you liking those Sailor Moon wands? We were at the Think Geek store in the mall recently and noticed them. My fiance was a bit interested, but they seemed to be at a bad place between quality and cost.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

There's a lot of good taste here, but I particularly love the rainbow of gameboys :allears:

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

If you think that's insanity look at other people who have rooms stacked to the brim full of games, consoles and memorabilia.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

This is pure madness.

I must try it.

Long ago when arcades were everywhere, you'd occasionally bump into a left-handed machine of a popular title such as Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat.

My initial instinct was to cross my arms so that I could play. It wasn't the worst thing and I ended up being more functional than I ever expected. Then again brain-plasticity at age 9-12 is also pretty great.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Chainclaw posted:

How are you liking those Sailor Moon wands? We were at the Think Geek store in the mall recently and noticed them. My fiance was a bit interested, but they seemed to be at a bad place between quality and cost.

A bad place? I won't lie, they're not cheap and I've bought mine over time, waiting for what deals and sales I can - but I grew up with the series and they're pretty much the toys I always wanted when I was younger, so it's very much a wish fulfillment thing for me. Quality on them is excellent but they're spendy is what it boils down to.

e : also, the banana-lookin' wand on the shelf between the game boxes is one of the original 90s American wands - the one that is a very pointy crescent is the new one

Wizgot posted:

If you think that's insanity look at other people who have rooms stacked to the brim full of games, consoles and memorabilia.

it looked a lot crazier (to me, anyway) before I sorted everything all over again. Sisyphean task really.

e : also, the insanity is added to because I am fostering 3 kittens (and had 5 in my apartment for quarantine before my friend/co-foster took two) - my place was a war zone between that and me not having a free day for the last month really

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a lot of good taste here, but I particularly love the rainbow of gameboys :allears:

Thanks :allears: The atomic purple GBC stays out since it's my GB photography machine. The next one I want is berry or the Sakura Taisen GBC. I like pink.

worthless. posted:

Hella nice. I've officially run out of shelf space for games so I have to get another book shelf before I can make my poo poo look pretty.

tbh I ran out of space for games but then my dad helped me put up two floating shelves so I was able to squeeze out a lil more space is most of it!

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 24, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Caitlin posted:

e : also, the banana-lookin' wand on the shelf between the game boxes is one of the original 90s American wands - the one that is a very pointy crescent is the new one
I never could figure out why the 90s issue wand had a pink crystal with the gilded sides. Thing looked like a Ring pop when ejected.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

I never could figure out why the 90s issue wand had a pink crystal with the gilded sides. Thing looked like a Ring pop when ejected.

Hell if I know. One of the plastic "arms" of the ring is broken so you can't really safely eject mine from it without it flying off, but it still looks like a Ring Pop. That's mine from when I was a kid, so I probably got it clearanced at Kay Bee when I got most of the rest of that stuff - unfortunately tons of it appears to be lost to time, moving and extended storage. That wand is what I could salvage, but I even had that (monumentally stupid) Moon Cycle (lel).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Not only did I find Panic Bomber for Virtual Boy in a game shop this past weekend, they were selling it for a reasonable price :toot:

This leaves just Waterworld and Jack Brothers for a complete North American collection. I'll be at a con in June (Too Many Games) so hopefully I can squeak a deal.

• Locked thread