Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Look, you expect him to raise money for charity just out of the goodness of his heart? This isn't a charity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Every Tom Brady scandal is awesome because of the collective tears of TFF and it is the reason why I root for him.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Volkerball posted:

How much money did he actually give best buddies

That's not how the celebrity/athlete charity things work. They donate their time and image to help the organization raise money. Like, "hey come donate $200 to xyz charity and come to our event this weekend featuring [insert famous person]." Or in another timely example, when I was getting groceries this afternoon, at checkout they asked if I wanted to donate $3 to Best Buddies and handed me a promotional card with Brady on it.

BTW don't ever donate to charities at checkouts, it's an even worse setup.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Magnetic North posted:

Those numbers (if accurate) make it a bit easier to accept, if you think of it as redistributing 6% of the money he himself brought in. But it's still kinda gross on the surface, since people thought that was going to a certain place and it's going elsewhere. Then again, people brought it in because of Tom Brady's involvement so would people actually disapprove of this? I dunno.

It's still yucky (yes, that's the technical term). Less than I initially thought, but still a bad look.

It's not as scummy as it first sounds, but it seems ridiculous that the places he's donating back to are like his church or his alma mater. Like come on, he doesn't have enough money to do that on his own?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
So Brady told Best Buddies "yo, I need to raise funds for my own charitable foundation. I know we have a good thing going here, so how about you just forward a share of the donations I raise for you to me foundation." and they said "sure Tom, that's sounds like a good idea because we will still have more money than if you would fund raise for us".

But sure, try to smear him with it. It will be his fuel on the #blitz4six

Magnetic North posted:

Those numbers (if accurate) make it a bit easier to accept, if you think of it as redistributing 6% of the money he himself brought in. But it's still kinda gross on the surface, since people thought that was going to a certain place and it's going elsewhere. Then again, people brought it in because of Tom Brady's involvement so would people actually disapprove of this? I dunno.

It's still yucky (yes, that's the technical term). Less than I initially thought, but still a bad look.

Yes, people in Boston who are donating to a charity because of Tom Brady are going to be mad because Tom Brady, five time Super Bowl winning QB, decides where the money goes.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Also lol at the idea of Goodell doing anything about it while the league is in bed with the world's biggest fake charity of all

Avoid nonprofits, work in a soup kitchen if you really want to help

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Tom Brady is charging a charity millions to promote them. Best Buddies—or any other charity—would still take that deal every time, but it's totally scummy.

Raku posted:

There are great nonprofits out there that could desperately use more money for operations (see: the one I work for, heh). Just make sure the people in them are actually putting in the work and aren't just some vanity bullshit.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

That's hot

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

It's me.

I'm Tom Brady IRL and I am touching myself right now. I'm cradling my deflated balls

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Does this fail the public support test for maintaining nonprofit status? I vaguely remember there being trouble for nonprofits that get a disproportionate amount of their revenue from one source.

Raku posted:

This comes up every time there's a scam involving a charity. Use Charity Navigator, look at their 990s, and use Google before making a donation. As has been mentioned, plenty of nonprofits do great work. Painting all of them based on a handful of bad actors is dumb.

Anals of History fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 23, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Tom Brady owns

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

a neat cape posted:

I'm glad Kansas lost

I'm glad Steve Fisher retired.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Intruder posted:

Tom Brady owns

mods?!?!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Intruder posted:

Tom Brady owns... a blind trust he uses to funnel money to his cronies and run guns and narcotics in Paraguay

whoa, trudy, what are you saying, I used to think you were cool

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Tom Brady probably engages in sex trafficking

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Not out of any monetary desire, but rather for the thrill of it all.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Best buddies raises 21 million a year so Brady can contribute 7 million before they fail the public support test. ARCs are a better charity though.

https://www.thearc.org/

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Probably Magic posted:

I'm glad Steve Fisher retired.

Same.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chromatic posted:

It really is. It's like if one of those "Why Your Team Sucks" articles was made into video form and covered the franchise's entire history.

Edit: He's done some other teams too.

holy poo poo hhahahahahahahahaha https://youtu.be/OSmM_io9_eQ?t=229

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYhIIEScHlQ

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

whoa, trudy, what are you saying, I used to think you were cool

That's a lie, no one ever thought I was cool

e: The Something Awful 138th episode spectacular!

Which two popular mods were demodded in 2017?

*commercial break*

If you said MV and Intruder... you're wrong, they were never popular!

Intruder fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 24, 2017

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Ehud posted:

you would make an excellent charity watchdog!

Agreed. I take a 10% finders fee but it guarantees a lack of problems down the line

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Intruder posted:

*commercial break*

I have always enjoyed your posting, Intruder.

MV on the other hand can eat a dick.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

*commercial break*

Koalas March, she's back tho

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

weird Asian candy posted:

I have always enjoyed your posting, Intruder.

MV on the other hand can eat a dick.

Well yes obviously my posting is top tier

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
MV probated me for quoting Idiocracy once.

He is poo poo.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I would probate you too

:argh:

Just give me those mod buttons back...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

I would probate you too

:argh:

Just give me those mod buttons back...

This must be how Gabriel felt after he woke up human in the Prophecy series.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

This must be how Gabriel felt after he woke up human in the Prophecy series.

I have no idea what you're talking about

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about

I don't give a fuuuuuuuuck what you think, Jerry.

just an obscure reference

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Chromatic posted:

holy poo poo hhahahahahahahahaha https://youtu.be/OSmM_io9_eQ?t=229

This is loving hilarious and pro-click.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
If Peter King's :airquote: source :airquote: is to be believed, the Saints are losing interest in trading with the Patriots for Butler.

Meanwhile, Schefter's sources keep saying the Patriots are not going to trade Garoppolo.

Of course this is peak lying season so who the hell knows. :iiam:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Hell, at this point both clubs probably want to wait and see who's still there at 32. This might be a draft day trade, depending on which player either team is targeting.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Makes sense.

The Jimmy G saga confuses me more than anything. Is it just the Pats jacking up the price in the hopes someone is a super turbo moron and gives them everything at the last second? Or are they finally scared of Brady's age, and think that Jimmy G is the answer maybe, even though he had 1.5 good games and then snapped like a dry twig?

I'm cool with the Pats keeping Butler this season and then doing whatever in 2018 though.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I remember when this forum used to joke about Aaron rodgers durability.

Heh :smith:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sean10mm posted:

Makes sense.

The Jimmy G saga confuses me more than anything. Is it just the Pats jacking up the price in the hopes someone is a super turbo moron and gives them everything at the last second? Or are they finally scared of Brady's age, and think that Jimmy G is the answer maybe, even though he had 1.5 good games and then snapped like a dry twig?

I'm cool with the Pats keeping Butler this season and then doing whatever in 2018 though.

Jimmy G seems more like the market quickly emptying except for the Browns and a bunch of writers hyperventilating about the Browns bidding against themselves, which they aren't doing.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Kalli posted:

Jimmy G seems more like the market quickly emptying except for the Browns and a bunch of writers hyperventilating about the Browns bidding against themselves, which they aren't doing.

Or Belichick simply realized that he would rather not be the Oakland Raiders or Arizona Cardinals in the playoffs if he can "only" get a #12 pick for his troubles.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/JakeLong77/status/856545292656680960

He retired

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

He may have deleted the tweet, but the internet remembers

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Jabril Peppers got popped for a diluted sample now too lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
This is supposedly a really deep draft for corners I guess?

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/856574652159754246

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/856495427381678082

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/856548324559781888

• Locked thread