Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

After rewatching season one, I appreciate it a lot more. Season two's still better, but season one is fantastic. I think this is one of those rare shows where it might just keep getting better each season. I have high hopes that season three's gonna keep gettin' better as each episode comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Claiming Season 1 is better than Season 2 is not rational or correct, but claiming Season 1 is bad is also not rational or correct.

It absolutely lays the groundwork for everything that Season 2 uses for payoff, on top of being an excellent season in and of itself. Never mind how the final episode is start-to-finish fantastic.

Basically the only real missteps of Season 1 are the way they (fail to at all adequately) pay off Aimee's character (she just literally disappears in the middle of an episode) and the entirety of Christine's character from concept to execution.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

(she just literally disappears in the middle of an episode)

Thematically, this checks out.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Claiming Season 1 is better than Season 2 is not rational or correct, but claiming Season 1 is bad is also not rational or correct.

It absolutely lays the groundwork for everything that Season 2 uses for payoff, on top of being an excellent season in and of itself. Never mind how the final episode is start-to-finish fantastic.

Basically the only real missteps of Season 1 are the way they (fail to at all adequately) pay off Aimee's character (she just literally disappears in the middle of an episode) and the entirety of Christine's character from concept to execution.

What are you talking about? Season 2 starts off by wiping the slate clean. Any character or plot auxiliary to the main story in the new location gets put into the side-plot category where they remain until appropriate.

Season 1's misstep are that its slow, uninteresting and, above all, extremely poorly paced. It's not the like plot, setting or acting was actually bad when viewed in isolation, it was just extremely poorly put together. Hugman and cult-baby stand out as something that could have been scrubbed entirely but the real problem is the GR. They get into speed in the final 2 episodes but for most of the season almost all their scenes amount to slowing the plot to a crawl. There is also a problem of Lindehof being way too far up his own rear end and having scenes which serve no purpose but to be weird for weirdness sake in that special prestige television way. (You'll find me making the same complaint about episode 3 & 4 of Legion in the Legion thread) But above all its boring, outside of episode 3 and the final 2 anything interesting happening is immediately cut short by cuts to more boring cult-baby scenes or the GR being the GR. Season 1 had a great pay-off but the build-up was absolutely miserable and not worth it.

Season 2 by comparison was an almost perfect season of television. Paced perfectly from beginning to end.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 23, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MiddleOne posted:

What are you talking about? Season 2 starts off by wiping the slate clean. Any character or plot auxiliary to the main story in the new location gets put into the side-plot category where they remain until appropriate.

Every single thematic and many narrative arcs (Patti most obviously, followed closely by Laurie's/Tom's/Meg's arcs) in season two are a payoff to something brought up or planted in season one. Yes, season two "wipes the slate clean" but it's absolutely, positively a continuation of the ideas and especially the themes of season one - wherein season one is about struggling with depression and attempting to muddle through life when suffering world-ending grief, season 2 is the attempts to move on from the depression and the ways in which those attempts manifest themselves.

Season 2 is not as good as it is without the groundwork the (excellent) season 1 laid.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
People didn't like the GR stuff in season 1? I thought the GR was one of the big draws of the show. Everything related to them is pretty amazing in season 1 and then 2 pretty much drops it in favor of the Meg poo poo-show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I remember that a lot of people really didn't get them or their deal. A lot of people still don't.

Lots of really ugly, reactionary "should be shot on sight" sort of language before it became clear that they'd done anything particularly wrong. And, of course, the when those last two episodes reveal that they have been doing various illegal things, it sort of retroactively justified their behaviour, which I found really unsettling -- it reminded me of the way the ATFC murdered the child abuse victims back in episode two. Lots of righteous fury.

I think it's fascinating that they were capable of striking a nerve both within the show and among viewers.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The first half of season one... isn't very good and probably why the viewship is so low. I had a hard time getting into the show and getting invested with the characters/caring about them. The episode 5 ending really resonated with me(the hosed up phone call from the FBI, the montage of the GR woman's body being incinerated) and it took off for me from there. I think the weirder and crazier the show got the more I started to love it. I can not understand how someone can like season one more than two.

Also how long until new episodes show up on HBO Now?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The GR in s1 is absolutely one of the main lovely things about that season. Regardless of the thematic sense they might make, minutes and minutes of people showing notebooks to each other is just objectively uninteresting television and something that clearly would work way better in the original book.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ausmund posted:

Also how long until new episodes show up on HBO Now?

I think new HBO episodes are available to stream right when the broadcast starts at 9PM EDT.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

The GR in s1 is absolutely one of the main lovely things about that season. Regardless of the thematic sense they might make, minutes and minutes of people showing notebooks to each other is just objectively uninteresting television and something that clearly would work way better in the original book.

I bet they don't write more than 50 words total in the entire season. Those scenes are interesting because of the visual storytelling.

MiddleOne posted:

Season 2 by comparison was an almost perfect season of television.

I think this here is why the differences in opinion arise. Season 2 was much more like a traditional TV series and I suppose that's what most people really want. It was pretty straight forward and most of the loose ends got neatly tied up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yep that's right you're just so much smarter than us and we can't enjoy anything that isn't exactly what we expect from television

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I liked both seasons so far. They're a bit of apples to oranges, though: that first one is carrying a heavy weight labeled EXISTENTIAL DESPAIR and the second sidelines that a bit and has a lot more humor.

I can see why a lot of people aren't in to the first season but that kind of thing is extremely my poo poo so I'm happy.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Season 3 intro is loving garbage

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is this the Perfect Strangers theme song?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Nooo not pillar guy :smith:

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Fast Luck posted:

Season 3 intro is loving garbage

Wow, quite the wrong opinion you have there

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Kinda weird how they got a new song but kept the same video, but w/e

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Oh my god the Perfect Strangers theme song? Lindelof you loving madman

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Intro song just got meta.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Tomahawk posted:

Wow, quite the wrong opinion you have there
Max Richter, Let The Mystery Be, and...

perfect strangers??? Feel like I'm watching Mr. Robot with this hi-larious 80s cheese.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Perfect Strangers is well established in the Leftovers universe, and clearly has relevance to this episode. We'll see if they keep it for future episodes.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Hahaha can you imagine if the Departure turned out to be some scifi bullshit

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Klungar posted:

Perfect Strangers is well established in the Leftovers universe, and clearly has relevance to this episode. We'll see if they keep it for future episodes.
That's fair.

lol trampoline scene reminds me of Office Space.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 24, 2017

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Does the name Kevin mean anything to you?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Wrong loving Chief Kevin.

Nice attention to detail how it's the 15th in Australia instead of the 14th.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

El Jeffe posted:

Nice attention to detail how it's the 15th in Australia instead of the 14th.

Yeah, I was quite impressed with that.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Fast Luck posted:

That's fair.

lol trampoline scene reminds me of Office Space.

Only The Leftovers can have a somber piano rendition of the Perfect Strangers theme song and then a dramatic scene of two women jumping on a trampoline to Protect Ya Neck. I'm gonna miss this show.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Look at my user name/avatar. Suffice to say this episode was a big hit with me.

At this point I'm out of superlatives for this show. It is like the NBA slam dunk contest where pretty much everything has been done, but instead somehow people legitimately keep coming up with cooler and more amazing dunks and putting them down.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I mean . . . I can't even articulate how awesome the little moments like this were.

"what Tom Perrotta and Damon Lindelof got after they fed their names into a Wu-Tang name generator" per Sepinwall's review

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

El Jeffe posted:

Kinda weird how they got a new song but kept the same video, but w/e

That's not the same video

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

oliwan posted:

I'd unironically love to hear why you think the Lost finale was great. Specifically with regards to what you take away from it, i.e. how it changed you in some way, or how it sheds an interesting light on any of the themes the show explores. 

No one has ever been able to tell me how the finale helps to bring that show beyond the superficial level of the narrative itself, what its message is, what it offers as food for thought beyond the story. 

What does that even mean? Is that your objective standards for great finales or something?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Carrie Coon Carrie Coon's publicists' intern liked my tweet. :swoon:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Carrie Coon Carrie Coon's publicists' intern liked my tweet. :swoon:

don't link it!!!

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God
Christ, this show is wonderful. How lucky we are to live in a world where, despite fairly loving awful ratings, HBO allowed them to make three seasons and give this show the final act it deserves.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

That's not the same video
Besides the name generator in the credits, what was different?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm in love with Carrie Coon.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Ausmund posted:

Besides the name generator in the credits, what was different?

Some pictures (OK, at least one) are left out. Some new ones may or may not be added.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Look at my user name/avatar. Suffice to say this episode was a big hit with me.

At this point I'm out of superlatives for this show. It is like the NBA slam dunk contest where pretty much everything has been done, but instead somehow people legitimately keep coming up with cooler and more amazing dunks and putting them down.

I think I've told you this before, but I can't help but genuinely laugh when I see or think of your username + avatar :allears:

Never change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
loving PREPAID PARKING TICKET

• Locked thread