Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

So I did a 50 because FFXI loving rules and I had almost no synergy.

5/11: Prishe BSB+SSB, Shantotto, Curilla, Ayame SSB.

I already have Shantotto's BSB from OSB fest, and Prishe's SSB is my first source of Last Stand.

:catstare: I'm hype. Was even able to cut the bullshit and solo Apoc Hein thanks to Primordial Elements and Play Rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Between dailies, events and getting through the realm backlog (I'm at 90 stam now so a long way to go) I've gotten to a point where the amount of level appropriate content is way above what I can do without planning my life around stamina refills like a crazy person. I guess I should be prioritising realms to get the free stamina refills?

Will we ever see half stamina realms again? :(

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
We will. I blitzed the realms during the half off sale and I'm at 161 stamina now.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Party Boat posted:

Between dailies, events and getting through the realm backlog (I'm at 90 stam now so a long way to go) I've gotten to a point where the amount of level appropriate content is way above what I can do without planning my life around stamina refills like a crazy person. I guess I should be prioritising realms to get the free stamina refills?

The new dailies aren't going anywhere, so you can safely hold off on those for right now. I'd definitely focus on doing dungeons until your stamina is around 160, just so you don't "waste" any overnight. That made a huge difference for me in how much I was able to get done.

You don't want to skip events, but they have pretty generous time limits, so even if you just do a couple stages a day you shouldn't miss anything. You can save a bit of stamina by joining instead of hosting multiplayer stuff too, since the difference in rewards really isn't worth the cost for you right now.

When I was at your point, I think I spent a little time looking around all the different dungeons and plotting out ways to get chain-refreshes while wasting as little stamina as possible - once you hit about 120 it becomes a lot less awkward since there's a ton of dungeons in the 60 stamina range. Just keep plugging away and don't get too discouraged - it's not worth min-maxing stuff. Like when I was just starting out, I missed that Five Dooms event that gave out a ton of job motes, and I'm still a little salty about that because it's one of the few things that a newer player just flat-out is never going to catch up with no matter what, but aside from not getting to play with quite as many cool 6* toys, it's not a huge deal and I can still clear everything in the game without much trouble now.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Thanks! The dailies are really tempting at the moment because my team are just powerful enough to roll through hard, but they take up all of my stamina. I might do the occasional one to get myself a set of aja spells then put them to bed for a bit.

I also just realised that my habit of going to any realm that has New! on it means I've got a bunch of easy elite dungeons available. Is there any resource that sorts them by difficulty or stamina cost across all realms?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Party Boat posted:

Thanks! The dailies are really tempting at the moment because my team are just powerful enough to roll through hard, but they take up all of my stamina. I might do the occasional one to get myself a set of aja spells then put them to bed for a bit.

I also just realised that my habit of going to any realm that has New! on it means I've got a bunch of easy elite dungeons available. Is there any resource that sorts them by difficulty or stamina cost across all realms?

One "trick" I've used is setting up a party and entering a dungeon with not enough stamina to fight before going to sleep. Then once I wake up I just hit up the first fight. Then I pause the game and drive to work or make breakfast or whatever and play it out when I can. Since the stamina cost was already paid the stamina regen is going on again. Helps with the low stamina cap.

I should hit the realms again myself but I want that final OK mote from Enigma++. These dragons don't seem to understand that I'll hunt them extinct unless they feel like sharing one.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Party Boat posted:

Thankfully, we're gonna see half-stamina in the mid-term future: Starting a few Dungeon Updates from now, they'll come with a short period of half-stamina attached.

Other than that, getting around 120 Stamina is a good goal for you right now.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Seems really hard to solo it without losing medals for damage taken, unfortunately, so the 90 might still win out unless there are some cool tricks I'm not thinking of. Everything seems to act really quickly and hit pretty hard.

Use a high level black mage alongside the character you want to level and equip them with the 4* BM spell Break. Have them cast it on them self at the beginning of the 3rd wave (you can give them ruinga or something to have them help clear the 1st and 2nd wave). As long as they are petrified before you kill the last enemy, they will not get any experience. However, even though they are "dead" their hp will still be included in the calculations for damage medals, and you won't lose any KO medals.

If you really want to take this to the next level, equip as many characters as you can with experience RMs, hone break as necessary to petrify as many times as you need, and go into battle, petrifying anyone who doesn't proc an experience RM. If you do this with all 5 possible EXP materia, you have about a 75% chance of at least one proc and therefore double exp for at least one character who will be left unpetrified. If you go this route it is more efficient to just retreat and repeat the first battle so that you start out each time with all 5 character's unpetrified.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

20 minute slog against hein, one attack away from killing him, everyone's got bursts and soul breaks queued, lost connection :thumbsup:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Seems really hard to solo it without losing medals for damage taken, unfortunately, so the 90 might still win out unless there are some cool tricks I'm not thinking of. Everything seems to act really quickly and hit pretty hard.
I just use solo characters with AoE abilities (r3 Bladeblitz, r4 Ruinga, summons) and a haste RM for exp dailies, rather than do stuff like what flowin posted. Takes a little less than a day to do 65 -> 80 and a little under two days to do 80 -> 99. I'm happy that I'll be able to finish characters in one week now between Sunday and Tuesday exp dailies!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gently caress i'm bad at reading

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

iPodschun posted:

I just use solo characters with AoE abilities (r3 Bladeblitz, r4 Ruinga, summons) and a haste RM for exp dailies, rather than do stuff like what flowin posted. Takes a little less than a day to do 65 -> 80 and a little under two days to do 80 -> 99. I'm happy that I'll be able to finish characters in one week now between Sunday and Tuesday exp dailies!

Mages can use a haste RM, people relying on Bladeblitz generally need the extra punch of Loner/Solitude until they're in the 85+ range. In the middle you have AoE 5* skills like Flashing Blade and Sky Grinder which could lean either way on that.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

KataraniSword posted:

Mages can use a haste RM, people relying on Bladeblitz generally need the extra punch of Loner/Solitude until they're in the 85+ range. In the middle you have AoE 5* skills like Flashing Blade and Sky Grinder which could lean either way on that.

I've been using Curilla just fine with a haste+ATK RM and Bladeblitz. It misses the KO on the dragons but kills everything else. I've done 65-76 so far with her today

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

can someone explain to me in small, easy words where chain soul breaks are going to fall in terms of power creep? they seem less useful to me than bursts that target a vulnerability.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cowcaster posted:

can someone explain to me in small, easy words where chain soul breaks are going to fall in terms of power creep? they seem less useful to me than bursts that target a vulnerability.

If you can coordinate a team for multiplayer, they're strong, but they mostly got kicked to the curb pretty fast for the new USB model with chaser damage buffs pretty quickly.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

They aren't really gamechangers like BSBs or USBs were on their introduction. From my understanding chains are mostly pretty niche even now in JP. Obviously if you have a lot of elemental stuff to take advantage you can end up with a pretty awesome setup to pump out damage but chains are never going to be leading the meta or anything.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i was under the original impression that chains would come with their own burst commands for pumping the chain, and that when the chain expired it'd do a chunk of damage based on the count, neither of which is true

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
Chains do have little bonus kickers as well. Shantotto's give party shortcharge 2, which can be a very powerful effect, greatly cutting down cast times of bsbs, osbs, rws, or just witch 5stars and full charge.

Even if you're not going completely all in on an element it still does damage by itself, and provides a reasonable boost.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

iPodschun posted:

I've been using Curilla just fine with a haste+ATK RM and Bladeblitz. It misses the KO on the dragons but kills everything else. I've done 65-76 so far with her today

The biggest issue is that the dragons do the most damage of anything there thanks to those stupid Aerogas. (They're not the most dangerous, because getting hit with Sleep/Slow/Stop on a solo run sucks, but close)

goons posted:

Chain Soul Breaks

Hot take: Worse than BSBs or USBs, better than OSBs and situationally better than SSBs. You can built a team around a chain break, especially on multiplayer, but it really needs a team to be built around it to be more than just a SSB with a fancier icon.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Chains mostly feel like a MP thing to me. Goon parties have been racking up impressive numbers with them, but it really does require that everyone is on board and ready to unleash that element once the Chain starts. But it really is goddamn glorious when you have like +50% damage on everyone when doing so.

But I can't imagine them being too useful with a normal 5-character solo party.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012

Attestant posted:

But I can't imagine them being too useful with a normal 5-character solo party.

I think the main exception to that will be once we get access to the Magicite dungeons.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You can get some pretty ridiculous stuff going with Chains in Full Throttle battles. Most Chains also give some pretty nice buffs like Powerchain or Crit+50%.

Honestly, just think of them as souped up SSBs for the most part. Keeping them at 15s and being unable to refresh them also prevent them from breaking the game.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KataraniSword posted:

Hot take: Worse than BSBs or USBs, better than OSBs and situationally better than SSBs. You can built a team around a chain break, especially on multiplayer, but it really needs a team to be built around it to be more than just a SSB with a fancier icon.

OSBs rank below BSBs? I've been under the impression that OSBs are pretty ridiculous, though admittedly my perceptions are colored by one of the two OSBs I have being Orlandeau's.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Roland Jones posted:

OSBs rank below BSBs? I've been under the impression that OSBs are pretty ridiculous, though admittedly my perceptions are colored by one of the two OSBs I have being Orlandeau's.

IIRC, it's that OSBs just do damage. They can do 99999 of it, but generally that's about all they do.

BSBs do a variety of things and also do damage (or heal). Buffs, debuffs, Imperils, heals, and so on - at a bare minimum you get a stat buff and Haste on yourself. You may even be able to do more damage with one if you can hit enough with the Burst commands plus the activation effect (made easier if you get burst commands that hit multiple times).

Prism fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 23, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Orlandeau is one of the exceptions. Other OSBs are mainly useful for punching through weak phases before a boss can kick you around too much

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

OSBs are really nice in niche cases where you can hit a weakness and / or boost the damage (doing 99k against that X Torment boss with his giant gently caress-off pile of Def and Res was really, really handy), but tbh most of the time I just use them to one-shot weaker event bosses to save myself like 30 extra seconds of actually pushing buttons.

Saving them up to blast through a really rough weak phase is also useful for sure, but that requires having at least a couple BSBs along for the ride to deal sustained damage so that it doesn't turn into a huge slog to get to that point.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Chains are amazing and I'm actively hunting for more in Japan. And no, you don't need an entire team dealing the appropriate damage type for it to work amazingly well. Take this as an example; about 2/3 of the chain gauge increase in that video is from a single character (I ended at 77%; there's 11% from the entry, 2% from Tidus's OSBs, and 12% from Rikku's BSB and one command 1, which leaves 52% from Edge).

This is your update from 6 months in the future.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 23, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Does Raines BSB stack with Stitch in Time effects?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Does Raines BSB stack with Stitch in Time effects?

The entry (party wide buff) does. His command 2 does not, because it *is* a Stitch in Time effect.

I forgot his command 2 is actually a different effect. Yes, it stacks completely.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 23, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Zurai posted:

The entry (party wide buff) does. His command 2 does not, because it *is* a Stitch in Time effect.

Aren't they different IDs since one is + Mag - Def and the other is +Mag - Res? I thought that's how it worked for buffs and breakdown effects, at least.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Aren't they different IDs since one is + Mag - Def and the other is +Mag - Res? I thought that's how it worked for buffs and breakdown effects, at least.

You're right. I forgot that Raines actually has a nearly-unique trade buff on his BSB command.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zurai posted:

Even though Raines Command 2 is +mag/-res and Stitch in Time is +mag/-def?

EFB

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Roland Jones posted:

Orlando's OSB is an edge case in that it's more like a prototype for the damage-oriented USBs we'll get later. Aside from that and a handful of other Very Bad Examples (lookin' at you, Arbiter's Apocrypha) OSBs are very, very vanilla: they do one large hit and that's it. They're good if you need burst damage, or if you're getting your utility elsewhere, but they're not going to carry a team on their own.

Bursts, on the other hand, have variable entries that can include damage, buffs, or various other benefits, offer two free, spammable commands of varying utility, and always buff the user's stats and grant them haste. These, unlike OSBs, can carry a team on their own (even if they don't always), as evidenced by several people in the discord recently commenting about how they wish they could build worthwhile teams without leaning so hard on Raines BSB or Onion Knight BSB as a crutch.

tl;dr: I'd rather have the best BSB than the best OSB, but I'd rather have a mediocre OSB than the worst BSB.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i always figured the best description for bsb's over osb's is that osb's may do a bunch of turns damage at once but you still need to fuel it on your own hones, bsb's do some damage and then let you continue doing large damage over a series of multiple turns independent of what skills you've got

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that said tg cid's osb isn't great just because it hits harder straight off the bat but because it provides a status effect that causes you to poo poo out damage faster, unique among osb's

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That's not so bad at least. No dupes here except the low * ones

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The closest they ever came to serious support creep was when Echo's(?) SSB was originally going to be something like Wall + Hastega or Wall + Shellga/Protectga which would've been completely and utterly broken (but amazing), especially Wall+Shell/Protect because that means two more skill slots you can use for anything else.

Thunder God is when they realized they couldn't let OSBs have extra effects because it'd require either overtuning the fights for everyone else, or letting OSBs just destroy content.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Too many dupes for me to pull on the raid banner...I need to hoard mythril anyway for future banners.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Only two dupes and exactly fifty mythril, gently caress it PULL THE LEVER

3/11: Sabin SSB, Palom SSB, dupe Laguna SSB

welp :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Even without dupes i can't imagine looking at that banner and going "Yeah no this looks like a good use of my time/money"

• Locked thread