Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It should be noted that manpower recovery is, I believe, 1/120 of your max before any modifiers. So for example, taking Levée en Masse will not increase your recovery.

The formula from the wiki:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've never seen this before - I have countries that have decayed down to zero AE with me, and they have stayed in the coalition against me. :sigh:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've never seen this before - I have countries that have decayed down to zero AE with me, and they have stayed in the coalition against me. :sigh:

Coalitions act in one swoop, to put it weirdly. If one country removes themselves from the coalition, then almost all the other countries remove themselves too. It's the same with joining one. It's got to be something odd with the AI. Try reloading the game. Other than that, you just have to improve relations, and not increase AE with them.

It'd be cool if there was a diplomatic action to bribe countries to leave coalitions, although I'm not sure that would make sense.

Node fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 23, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Node posted:

It'd be cool if there was a diplomatic action to bribe countries to leave coalitions, although I'm not sure that would make sense.

You can give them money/subsidies to improve relations, which can cause them to leave the coalition. And it's balanced in a way that makes sense (you can't bribe countries that really hate you, but you can bribe countries that were on the fence)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

According to the wiki, non-rival countries that have less than 50 AE on you will leave the coalition under two conditions:

-No other country in the coalition has more than 50 AE on you

-An amount of time proportional to their opinion of you has passed since they dropped below 50 AE on you (2 years at 0 opinion or higher, 5 years at -200 opinion)

Rivals won't leave a coalition unless the coalition has 3 or fewer members, or they have 0 AE on you.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Reloading the game also prompts them to leave again right? I know it used to, often if you just saved and reloaded a bunch of countries would decide to leave. I think it's one of those AI actions that doesn't get refreshed very often.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Update: Aragon was predictably slow to enter the fray, but the six shock general won some early battles for me. Once we took the Balkans, Mamluks declared war on the Ottomans as well. Not long after, Venice jumped in on the feeding frenzy. RIP Ottomans.

Seems like in 1.20 you'll want to ignore the Albanian Gambit and shoot for an alliance with at least Hungary. Basically, go to your land and naval forcelimits, go a bit over on naval if you have to, and hire a diplomatic reputation advisor. The Ottomans tend to give you time to get your relations to +100 via improvement, allowing you to ally Hungary and Aragon as long as you do the other stuff. Promise them land in the war and they'll both be happy to join, although once war started it didn't seem like Aragon actually wanted anything, not even the province they had marked as vital interest.

This was way easier than I expected, and it actually seemed easier than it was in 1.19. As for the guy who wanted to play as Wallachia, that poo poo is gonna be hard. You start with a smaller army and smaller forcelimits, making you a less appealing target for alliance with the bigger countries, so I'm not sure if you can go with that method. And the Albanian method is now nullified, so Wallachia seems like they're in a super difficult spot.

edit: bonus screenshot:

The Turks are done for. Subsequent wars should be easy.

Ottomans are never truly dead until all of their provinces are conquered and converted.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Schizotek posted:

Ottomans are never truly dead until all of their provinces are conquered and converted.

loving this, I had a game as Byzantium a version or two ago and somehow during the 15 year peace after our first war they managed to conquer about half of the Middle East. Meanwhile Venice was starting an immense amount of poo poo with me while generally being assholes.

E:

Because I like these difficult start scenarios, I gave Byzanium a go again and for some reason you can actually rival the OE at the start of the game now which is probably what's making things easier since it gives you a huge boost to allying with Ottoman rivals. I managed to get the Mamluks and Aragon on board (and they will actually join a CtA) though I might restart anyway due to the OE and France being allied (I can appreciate this, gently caress Austria)

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 23, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well Mamluks took southern Anatolia. The Ottomans are still stronger than me, but not stronger than my overall alliance. The AI these days seems really eager to jump in like vultures whenever they see an easy target down on their knees, so if the war extends for long enough, other powers are bound to jump at them, almost ensuring their downfall.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

1.20 Byzantium is super easy, thanks to the rival of my rival thing. My current game I was able to ally Hungary, Austria and Poland (with Lithuania), and Mamluks after the first war. It wasn't pretty (for them).

One cool trick that doctors don't want you to know, people hate her, is to grab all the coastal Balkan provinces in the first war, peace out, fabricate claims on the rest of the Balkans, then have Bulgarian rebels spawn. Let them do their thing, they'll eventually move inside the OE territory you left alone; as long as they occupy one province (and Ottomans can't intervene), they'll press claims and form Bulgaria. A state with 0 army, 0 allies, no truce with you and for which coincidentally you have everything or almost as a claim. Declare war.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Aragon doesn't want to take any of the provinces they have highlighted as integral parts of their state so I am forced to get penalised for not giving them any provinces. This seems broken.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

Aragon doesn't want to take any of the provinces they have highlighted as integral parts of their state so I am forced to get penalised for not giving them any provinces. This seems broken.

If you're winning the war handily with no chance of comeback, drag it on, they'll white peace out eventually and you don't get a penalty.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:stare:

I just wanted to get One Night In Paris, I guess I have to care more about this run now.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Jay Rust posted:

:stare:

I just wanted to get One Night In Paris, I guess I have to care more about this run now.

I tried to game this as Hungary to get Austria. Would not happen. My first long British game going for the same achievement I got it, and I've seen England pick it up in other runs.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

canepazzo posted:

If you're winning the war handily with no chance of comeback, drag it on, they'll white peace out eventually and you don't get a penalty.

The war took like 7 loving years and I started getting ticking WE almost as soon as I got to the stage where I wasn't in danger of being stackwiped constantly (thanks broken as gently caress early game OE troops) so I wasn't really in the mood. I don't even care about Aragon per se, it just stops me from getting the Mamluks in on all my wars by promising them land.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

That's what happened to me, too. It's possible that you should transfer that land to Naples occupation instead. It hardly matters, Iberian Wedding will likely trigger and Aragon will become a Castile subject.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

That's what happened to me, too. It's possible that you should transfer that land to Naples occupation instead. It hardly matters, Iberian Wedding will likely trigger and Aragon will become a Castile subject.

If this is the case than Aragon can transfer occupation to their own union minor so why don't they do it :psyduck:

Anyway I've already got so big that now I have to stab the Mamluks in the butt and eat them, thanks guys for saving my rear end and only taking 3 provinces in 2 wars :)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm getting really disappointed with my current Grenada run. I finally managed to get one off the ground, but the Colonial Wars bug makes it so I as soon as I make colonies, someone else steals them--and if I try to take them back, colonies/countries in the region don't have treaties with my now newly-formed colony BUT they have a reconquest casus belli so they just eat it while I have to watch or eat a stability hit. To make it even worse, I can't really expand into the east because the Ming have made a good chunk of the minors out there into tributaries and there's no loving way I can fight them in their current form.

Honestly kind of disappointed in the current shape of the game. :(

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was beelining Rein in Northern Italy, and after getting it, I found myself without any real direction. None of my rivals are really in a situation now where fighting them really holds any value to me, but I don't have the diplomatic points to burn on swapping all of them out. Is it worth just stomping over the weakest one (Venice) and taking bites out of it until it no longer qualifies?

Also, am I right in thinking that I should be doing my best to keep the rest of the HRE sliced up into as many pieces as possible to get some kind of authority bonus from number of states, as well as making it easier to expand?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So if motherfucking Baluchistan is a tributary of Ming, what happens if I declare war on Baluchistan? Ming becomes war leader and I have to grind through a million mercs to get a few provinces off of some shithole country in Persia? I have to march from Istanbul to Beijing, in 1525?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I do not know how to keep a Qara Qoyunlu game alive. You are seriously negative in income, and almost every single province you own is not your religion. I can manage to ally the Mamluks, take some of the Ottoman's territories before they get it themselves, but after 50 years I'm just drowning in loans and sitting at zero manpower from the constant rebels.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Change religion?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

So if motherfucking Baluchistan is a tributary of Ming, what happens if I declare war on Baluchistan? Ming becomes war leader and I have to grind through a million mercs to get a few provinces off of some shithole country in Persia? I have to march from Istanbul to Beijing, in 1525?

Honestly I would wait until the next patch to play in East Asia, and bitch to Paradox. The DLC added a lot of cool stuff but Tributaries are fundamentally broken for three main reasons imo:

1. Subjects almost never break tributary status, or at least I've never seen it. Ming is just too huge, even with the neighboring horde event that adds +25 LIberty Desire, their tributaries will never leave them. This leads to Ming acquiring a ton of tributaries basically permanently, unless the tributaries eat each other.
2. There is no CB or discount for breaking/transferring tributary status. They are treated as normal vassals and so are extremely expensive in terms of warscore and DIP points to liberate. This leads to the many Ming tributaries being incredibly expensive to peel off.
3. If you take the Mandate of Heaven away from Ming, you get a penalty to Mandate score based on neighboring non-tributaries, which scales with development. Since Ming is huge and ultra-stable, taking the Mandate from them in a peace agreement is a trap. Ming will require many wars to fully annex, meanwhile it's bleeding you of Mandate points.

Maybe it's possible to create vassals in China so as to not share a border with Ming and game the tributary->Mandate system?

IMO the tributary system is way too rigid right now, and truces should negate non-tributary penalties to Mandate (so long as you keep beating Ming, your Mandate increases, makes sense!).

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I think I got spoiled by the past few expansions not having tons of game breaking issues (or at least having them be fixed quickly). This whole waiting for the next named patch to fix glaring problems thing is really killing my desire to play this game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You could always play in europe or the new world, no issues there as far as I'm aware

Or hell, play as Ming

I'm personally taking a break because I want to clear out all of the side quests in Skellige in Witcher 3 (dreamy scottish accents)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I reverted to 1.19 which is pretty fun

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

You can play anywhere west of the Caspian without it being a problem but yeah Asia is hosed atm.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am doing a Great Perm run and I already run into the issue of hordes being tributaries.

I think the main issue is that the tributaries behave a bit like vassals and are just too happy to stay like that forever.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Well I have a two week vacation to pull me away to give them time to fix this garbage. I'm playing as the Ottomans and I am getting boxed in by Ming tributaries in the 1520s :xd:

Will this Hungary Patch that they are doing break saves, considering the map changes?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
To be fair, just attack them and let ticking warscore do it's job.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I'm trying Mare Nostrum as France and it's kind of a slog. I'm taking 100 OE, coring, declaring war, then trucing the second the last batch is cored. I need a l good chunk of Ottoman land still, and will have to declare on Persia as well as two more wars against the pope. Think that is feasible in 90 years?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Chump Farts posted:

I'm trying Mare Nostrum as France and it's kind of a slog. I'm taking 100 OE, coring, declaring war, then trucing the second the last batch is cored. I need a l good chunk of Ottoman land still, and will have to declare on Persia as well as two more wars against the pope. Think that is feasible in 90 years?

Administrative Efficiency lets you expand much faster in the last 100 years, it's definitely possible. Max out your absolutism if you can.

Will this Hungary Patch that they are doing break saves, considering the map changes?

I'd like to know as well. I'd hate for the ongoing MP games to get broken or be forced to stay in 1.20.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Map changes won't break saves, but the new provinces will sometimes be under terra incognito, and they'll also be 1/1/1 development.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
One of my vassals is allied to another one of my vassals. This appears to be increasing their liberty desire. Any tips

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Someone help me out with QQ. I'm QQing like crazy trying to figure them out. This is the strategy I've been trying.

Restart until the Mamluks aren't rivaled to you.

Your primary religion is a minority, you have 28% religious unity. Move capital to Baghdad, switch to Sunni, get stability back to 0. This costs over 500 admin, gets you less rebels, and is an easy alliance with the Mamluks. Release Armenia as a vassal and give them all their coptic provinces, they're going to be way more trouble than they are worth until you can deal with converting them. Annex Taberestan and Shirvan, move your trading capital back to Persia. You'll get 5 or 6 ducats a month now instead of 2 from trading. Vassalize Georgia.

Still, all this time, you are taking out loans, and losing constant manpower to rebels. Expansion to the Arabian Peninsula is usually not an option since they're allied to the Mamluks. Expansion this early against the Ottomans is not possible. You could in theory snipe some of the Beyliks at the start of the game, but they are still more too strong even without those cores. If the Timurids implode, Persia has likely formed, and they are quite strong, and the Mamluks won't help you against them.

Surely someone here has done well with QQ. I'd like to get their own achievement, and maybe the 200 grain province achievement too.

Node fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 25, 2017

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
In my QQ game I allied with the timurid's rivals to form Persia as fast as possible so that when the revolt events hit them you get a ton of free land. If you're trying to keep it as a single tag maybe culture shifting to Persian to stymie unrest and attacking the timurids for their Shia land in order to fix your religious unity? If you take enough timurid land and Persia forms it should be way weaker than a Persia that forms without you messing around with them.

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 25, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Node posted:

Someone help me out with QQ. I'm QQing like crazy trying to figure them out. This is the strategy I've been trying.

Restart until the Mamluks aren't rivaled to you.

Your primary religion is a minority, you have 28% religious unity. Move capital to Baghdad, switch to Sunni, get stability back to 0. This costs over 500 admin, gets you less rebels, and is an easy alliance with the Mamluks. Release Armenia as a vassal and give them all their coptic provinces, they're going to be way more trouble than they are worth until you can deal with converting them. Annex Taberestan and Shirvan, move your trading capital back to Persia. You'll get 5 or 6 ducats a month now instead of 2 from trading. Vassalize Georgia.

Still, all this time, you are taking out loans, and losing constant manpower to rebels. Expansion to the Arabian Peninsula is usually not an option since they're allied to the Mamluks. Expansion this early against the Ottomans is not possible. You could in theory snipe some of the Beyliks at the start of the game, but they are still more too strong even without those cores. If the Timurids implode, Persia has likely formed, and they are quite strong, and the Mamluks won't help you against them.

Surely someone here has done well with QQ. I'd like to get their own achievement, and maybe the 200 grain province achievement too.

Raise autonomy on Iraqi provinces because they'll pop a 21 stack of rebels and taking the increased autonomy hit is better than the massive amount of manpower spent fighting a stack of rebels that big. Releasing Armenia and giving them all the Coptic provinces is a good plan unless you're planning to go Coptic. Gun it for AQ and see how many Anatolian beyliks you can grab before the Ottomans can get ahold of them. Hit the Mamluks if they're being attacked by the Ottomans, Timurids if they bit off more than they can chew, Arabia whenever you're not fighting anyone big, etc. Tabarestan and Shirvan are good pickups obviously but aren't a priority since you can snag them whenever you want.

If Persia pops out just eat it up asap since they won't have any military. Once you reform your government all your money troubles disappear since the Persia node is insane but in the meantime you'll be heavily in debt and razing everything in sight.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Eej posted:

Raise autonomy on Iraqi provinces because they'll pop a 21 stack of rebels and taking the increased autonomy hit is better than the massive amount of manpower spent fighting a stack of rebels that big. Releasing Armenia and giving them all the Coptic provinces is a good plan unless you're planning to go Coptic. Gun it for AQ and see how many Anatolian beyliks you can grab before the Ottomans can get ahold of them. Hit the Mamluks if they're being attacked by the Ottomans, Timurids if they bit off more than they can chew, Arabia whenever you're not fighting anyone big, etc. Tabarestan and Shirvan are good pickups obviously but aren't a priority since you can snag them whenever you want.

If Persia pops out just eat it up asap since they won't have any military. Once you reform your government all your money troubles disappear since the Persia node is insane but in the meantime you'll be heavily in debt and razing everything in sight.

Unfortunately I have to stay a horde for the 200 grain province achievement, and switching to Persia turns you into a monarchy.

The only Beylik you can snipe in the beginning is AQ, if you want the Ottomans to beat up the Mamluks. If you take the other Beyliks, that blocks Ottoman access to the Mamluks, leaving you as an easy target. I didn't realize you could pick on Persia as soon as they form, since you're right, they wouldn't have an army. But they could raise one quick, and I don't know how many flat terrain they have.

Doing the capital switch to Baghdad and switching to Sunni still seems like a nice plan, since it removes Iraq as rebels and makes alliances easier. Of course, its an expensive amount of admin.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Node posted:

The only Beylik you can snipe in the beginning is AQ, if you want the Ottomans to beat up the Mamluks. If you take the other Beyliks, that blocks Ottoman access to the Mamluks, leaving you as an easy target. I didn't realize you could pick on Persia as soon as they form, since you're right, they wouldn't have an army. But they could raise one quick, and I don't know how many flat terrain they have.
If there are nationalist rebels they do get an army, and Persia has literally zero flat terrain.

If/when I got for the 200 Grain achievement I will probably try it as Golden/Great Horde because Russia is built out of grain, and there are some other achievements that I can grab while I do that.

edit: Comedy option for that achievement - do it as a Ming Tributary Horde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

If there are nationalist rebels they do get an army, and Persia has literally zero flat terrain.

If/when I got for the 200 Grain achievement I will probably try it as Golden/Great Horde because Russia is built out of grain, and there are some other achievements that I can grab while I do that.

edit: Comedy option for that achievement - do it as a Ming Tributary Horde.

I wish I could. They have -1000 strategic interest malus to that. It would be funny... and tempting.

I managed to take a chunk out of Timurids, and then swallowed a small Persia as soon as they formed. My income is... positive. I owe 14 loans totaling 1300 gold. I had to deal with a civil war disaster. But I'm in the green! I hope I get REALLY lucky and some great power pays off my loan.

My question is, what next? The Timurids are spiraling out of control, although I have a truce with them. I have an idea group I can take, and my two biggest problems are stability and income. I want to try, even though it's likely I won't succeed, to unify islam. That would make Religious mandatory. And that would make Deus Vult entirely meaningless since I need to stay a horde. Since my economy is in the shitter still, Economics or (less likely) Trade would be a sound pick. Persia is a good node. Of course, if I want to conquer that much, I'll need administrative and Adaptability, which is not an idea group that helps you out of desperate situations, which I am in right now. What would you pick right now?

Node fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 25, 2017

• Locked thread