Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

They also don't short circuit shooting, with only 9 hull/shields and 1 green die and no defensive abilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
They absolutely short circuit maneuvering when they can break the move first shoot last paradigm, and has been pointed out, cover a ridiculous amount of territory.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

banned from Starbucks posted:

Yeah its just the nature of every game. You see the same habits whether its X-wing, Armada or Destiny. People are lazy and unoriginal and are simply going to play whatever list rises to the top no matter how often you whack-a-mole down whatevers currently strong. Play destiny? Play Vader/Raider or like 1 other meta list or lose. Armada? Take 4-5 small ships and activation spam your opponent and gently caress you if you enjoy playing huge ships. Its really the most demoralizing part of the hobby.

The solution is to not play with assholes, though that's rarely an option if you're at a tournament setting.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't understand what the list choice has to do with one's demeanor in a tournament. Also, as much as I like trick plays in football myself, I don't get mad that teams regularly run power O off-tackle runs as a bread and butter good offensive play. :psyduck:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Past couple times I have faced Miranda, I've done 1 of 2 thing:
1) Force a joust (not easy with advanced slam but can still be done with some luck where they can't slam effectively). One time I did this, and Miranda died on the first exchange of combat. Pumped like 12 dice into her on, no way can 1 green get through that.

2)Force the Miranda player to waste their bombs. If there's one thing you can be sure the Miranda player will want to do and will do at the first chance, is slam to get those bombs off. If you can anticipate that and take into account both places Miranda will end up (before and after her slams), a high PS ship can force her to drop a bomb when there's no chance of hitting. Sure, you may end up with no shot yourself, but since they probably slammed, they can't shoot you either. Second only to taking a Miranda down really fast in an exchange of red dice is watching them waste their 9 or so points of bombs, then have to rely on plinky TLT damage, which is poo poo when it's just 1 TLT.

Like, Miranda is the absolute worse thing about the current meta, and every numbnut without an ounce of creativity or want something along the lines of an auto-damage button will use her, but as already pointed out every meta has those loving terrible builds. I actually had to take a mini break from the game when stress/rebel regen was the only thing people would play, because those were the most Fun-Cop of builds and I found myself actively disliking the game at that point. Then I won my city's store championship with Imperials and people kind of stopped using stress/Rebel regen in this area for a while. But gently caress it, if anything else wins a high priority tournament, those same numbnuts will start chasing that build, and the cycle will continue forever.

Plus, these are just plastic ships and getting mad at them is just sad. If someone has to cheese it to constantly win, let them; this is probably the only thing they really have going for them.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 24, 2017

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
So I've just been playing Imperials since I started, what are people's recommendations if I want to dip into another faction for some variety? Not looking to spend too much and hoping to pick up 2 expansion packs at most. Would buying the Shadow Caster and a bunch of protectorate starfighters give me a decent list?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If the meta starts getting you down just don't play tournament games or play with overly competitive people until the meta in your local area shifts.

If I consistently have more tournament games in a month than casual games I begin to dislike playing with little plastic spaceships agaisnt other grown ups.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I will agree with the K-wing problem though. It's the one ship I'll refuse to play because it looks stupid ugly and I enjoy painting and playing with powerful ships.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I like the K-Wing, it's like a dumb space B-17 :saddowns:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The ARC is what the K-wing should've looked like :argh:. It's more or less this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_P-61_Black_Widow with the F-82's dual cockpits and the ARC looks a lot better. People like to compare it to a true bomber but the B-17 is more like the falcon with the gunner scenes and all.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Honestly what makes Miranda worse is that 90% of the time she will be flying with Biggs. Just a big ole jumble of broken

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Chill la Chill posted:

I will agree with the K-wing problem though. It's the one ship I'll refuse to play because it looks stupid ugly and I enjoy painting and playing with powerful ships.

The K Wing and Arc are so ugly they kind start to look cool. They are both so incomprehensiblely ugly their adorable.
If I ever fly Miranda, it with just TLT and Chewie crew.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Say someone put cluster missiles on a fat han. Would Han be allowed to reroll both shots? Gunner would only work if the both shots missed?

Han Solo — YT-1300 46
Push the Limit 3
Cluster Missiles 4
C-3PO 3
Gunner 5
Scavenger Crane 2
Smuggling Compartment 0
Guidance Chips 0
Millennium Falcon 1
Ship Total: 64

Jake Farrell — A-Wing 24
Push the Limit 3
Proton Rockets 3
Veteran Instincts 1
Autothrusters 2
A-Wing Test Pilot 0
Ship Total: 33

I know it's probably stupid, but it would be fun.

Raged fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 24, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't understand what the list choice has to do with one's demeanor in a tournament. Also, as much as I like trick plays in football myself, I don't get mad that teams regularly run power O off-tackle runs as a bread and butter good offensive play. :psyduck:

I think that tourneys are universally the least fun way to play tabletop games but that's just me

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Say someone put cluster missiles on a fat han. Would Han be allowed to reroll both shots? Gunner would only work if the both shots missed?

Han Solo — YT-1300 46
Push the Limit 3
Cluster Missiles 4
C-3PO 3
Gunner 5
Scavenger Crane 2
Smuggling Compartment 0
Guidance Chips 0
Millennium Falcon 1
Ship Total: 64

Jake Farrell — A-Wing 24
Push the Limit 3
Proton Rockets 3
Veteran Instincts 1
Autothrusters 2
A-Wing Test Pilot 0
Ship Total: 33

I know it's probably stupid, but it would be fun.

Han both rolls. Gunner only if both miss.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Drop Gunner for Kanan if you want to push the limit imo.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Question about chopper crew and slam. Say I have two stress on the ship and chopper crew. If my second manuvers is a green do I get to remove a 2nd stress?

Same question with an arc with EU r2 unit and chopper. Would a boost remove a stress?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Question about chopper crew and slam. Say I have two stress on the ship and chopper crew. If my second manuvers is a green do I get to remove a 2nd stress?

Same question with an arc with EU r2 unit and chopper. Would a boost remove a stress?

A SLAM makes you do a maneuver. Complete with whatever color (and associated stress mechanic) that maneuver may be. So yes, your SLAM maneuver would clear a stress.

However, a boost is not a maneuver. R2 Astromech does not change its color because it's not a maneuver.

In similar fashion, Adaptive Aerilons does grant a maneuver. The Twin Ion Engines Mk II upgrade makes the 1-bank AA maneuvers green. But there's (currently) no way to use AA when stressed so it doesn't matter.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Typically, upgrades will call out if they are a maneuver, which tells you whether or not they can be green. A ship with Daredevil and R2 Astromech will treat it as a green but boost is specifically an action, not a maneuver. SLAM is also a maneuver; it and Daredevil can bump and still be considered legal while you can't bump with a boost.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Typically, upgrades will call out if they are a maneuver, which tells you whether or not they can be green. A ship with Daredevil and R2 Astromech will treat it as a green but boost is specifically an action, not a maneuver. SLAM is also a maneuver; it and Daredevil can bump and still be considered legal while you can't bump with a boost.

I never realized that R2 Astromech and Daredevil interact like that. Probably because the stress is added afterward so it basically doesn't matter, and there's not any way I can think of for an X-WIng, Y-wing, or E-wing to do an action while stressed in the first place. I think the Attack Shuttle can technically take Chopper crew on top and manage it, but at that point loving :lol: at how bad that combo is.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

ITT: people that don't care about & don't play in tournaments talking a lot of nonsense about what tournaments are like. :shrug:

Z the IVth posted:

So I've just been playing Imperials since I started, what are people's recommendations if I want to dip into another faction for some variety? Not looking to spend too much and hoping to pick up 2 expansion packs at most. Would buying the Shadow Caster and a bunch of protectorate starfighters give me a decent list?

Shadowcaster + Jumpmaster or Jumpmaster + two Protectorate Fighters would both work really well. Shadowcaster + two fighters is kind of awkward because Shadowcaster builds come in around 40-50 and fighters are 30+, so the trio doesn't work great. Shadowcaster + Protectorate Fighter + M3A could work well, but not until the Scum epic ship is out.

admanb fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 24, 2017

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

My only huge problem with tournaments is how the tables are always too low so I hurt my back leaning over all day.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Strobe posted:

I never realized that R2 Astromech and Daredevil interact like that. Probably because the stress is added afterward so it basically doesn't matter, and there's not any way I can think of for an X-WIng, Y-wing, or E-wing to do an action while stressed in the first place. I think the Attack Shuttle can technically take Chopper crew on top and manage it, but at that point loving :lol: at how bad that combo is.

An ARC with Chopper and R2 could do it. Attack Shuttles can't have Astromechs though.

A 4K and 1 turn would get you to some interesting spots but you'd still be stressed and the only pilots that could do it are Norra and Shara and they have much better things to be doing.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Endman posted:

My only huge problem with tournaments is how the tables are always too low so I hurt my back leaning over all day.

Hasn't caused me any grief yet. I tend to take a seat whenever my opponent is mulling things over.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Oh Boy. The Aus Open is doing a "Garbage will do" format for the top 8 and the side tournament.
It's kind of like the 77 format that was at the Open finals, but much, much worse.

How could that be bad you ask? Well.... no point limit on the ships+upgrades. Players vote on the worst ship and pilots and then later there will be a process to determine each ships upgrades. Then you get to pick based on ranking in the 100 point tournament on day 1. So the top player can pick a 22 point ship and build a list around it and the #8 gets hosed by a 50 point rear end raping.

Currently the rebel voting is taking place and the top votes are for:

Outer Rim Smuggler (YT-1300) 27 Points

Knave Sqn Pilot (E-Wing) 27 Points

Rebel Operative (HWK-290) 16 points

Since it's looking like the top prize is going to be a cash prize this is gonna be hosed.

Also you need to own all the ships and can proxy the upgrades for the side tourney. The top 8 of the main tourney have to own the ships and upgrades. I can understand not supplying the ships for 100 people, but it seem cheap as hell not to supply them to the top 8.

Raged fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 24, 2017

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

admanb posted:

ITT: people that don't care about & don't play in tournaments talking a lot of nonsense about what tournaments are like. :shrug:

I actually love tournaments, some of the people who go to them, however.....
There's one dude in my area who barely says a word the whole time you play him, and he doesn't even crack a smile or react to jokes. He's a good player, but no one likes playing against him because its so boring to play in silence.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

enigmahfc posted:

I actually love tournaments, some of the people who go to them, however.....
There's one dude in my area who barely says a word the whole time you play him, and he doesn't even crack a smile or react to jokes. He's a good player, but no one likes playing against him because its so boring to play in silence.

That guy owns. Nothing worse than a shithead player chatting the whole time about his favorite anime or how the Empire totally wasn't Nazi Germany

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

alg posted:

That guy owns. Nothing worse than a shithead player chatting the whole time about his favorite anime or how the Empire totally wasn't Nazi Germany

Yeah, its not like that at all, he literally will not talk hardly at all, and barely makes eye contact. And if you can't be personable and chat or joke around while playing, I don't know what to tell you.

But sure, anime and Nazis and love pillows and stuff.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

I talk to Brunas about our animes and body pillows.... is this wrong? :ohdear:

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Raged posted:

Oh Boy. The Aus Open is doing a "Garbage will do" format for the top 8 and the side tournament.
It's kind of like the 77 format that was at the Open finals, but much, much worse.

How could that be bad you ask? Well.... no point limit on the ships+upgrades. Players vote on the worst ship and pilots and then later there will be a process to determine each ships upgrades. Then you get to pick based on ranking in the 100 point tournament on day 1. So the top player can pick a 22 point ship and build a list around it and the #8 gets hosed by a 50 point rear end raping.

Currently the rebel voting is taking place and the top votes are for:

Outer Rim Smuggler (YT-1300) 27 Points

Knave Sqn Pilot (E-Wing) 27 Points

Rebel Operative (HWK-290) 16 points

Since it's looking like the top prize is going to be a cash prize this is gonna be hosed.

Also you need to own all the ships and can proxy the upgrades for the side tourney. The top 8 of the main tourney have to own the ships and upgrades. I can understand not supplying the ships for 100 people, but it seem cheap as hell not to supply them to the top 8.

Ugh, kind of glad I didn't buy a ticket then. I was previously thinking of road-tripping up.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

enigmahfc posted:

Yeah, its not like that at all, he literally will not talk hardly at all, and barely makes eye contact. And if you can't be personable and chat or joke around while playing, I don't know what to tell you.

But sure, anime and Nazis and love pillows and stuff.

Hey, for some people, going to an x-wing tournament might be the most social interaction they will have for several months. Having a fair amount of social anxiety myself, I can empathize with those who have more severe anxiety and/or are extremely introverted. There's a good chance he knows everyone hates to play with him, and honestly, that kind of attitude will just eventually drive him away and that actually makes you and your friends the dicks because you couldn't stop for a second to think "hmm, why is he so quiet and what can I do to help him have a good experience"

The best thing you can do is just have a good time, thank him for the game, and maybe try to make him feel a bit more comfortable.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Finster Dexter posted:

Hey, for some people, going to an x-wing tournament might be the most social interaction they will have for several months. Having a fair amount of social anxiety myself, I can empathize with those who have more severe anxiety and/or are extremely introverted. There's a good chance he knows everyone hates to play with him, and honestly, that kind of attitude will just eventually drive him away and that actually makes you and your friends the dicks because you couldn't stop for a second to think "hmm, why is he so quiet and what can I do to help him have a good experience"

The best thing you can do is just have a good time, thank him for the game, and maybe try to make him feel a bit more comfortable.

Yeah, I'm bad at explaining this, I guess (I know the guy, no one here does, I leave details out). He's not socially awkward or has any anxiety; he's just kind of cocky prick. Like, one time before a tournament match me and him had, he looked at my list and said, "okay, I know my list can beat yours." and that was about the only thing he said. Her CAN be social and stuff, but once X-Wing starts, he is just like playing against an arrogant block of wood. Games should be at least a little social, no matter the skill level.

I wouldn't dog someone who had actual social anxiety, because we are all nerds and have been there at one point or another. Games can be good therapy for that.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 24, 2017

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

enigmahfc posted:

Yeah, I'm bad at explaining this, I guess I know the guy, no one here does, I leave details out). He's not socially awkward or has any anxiety; he's just kind of cocky prick. Like, one time before a tournament match me and him had, he looked at my list and said, "okay, I know my list can beat yours." and that was about the only thing he said. Her CAN be social and stuff, but once X-Wing starts, he is just like playing against an arrogant block of wood. Games should be at least a little social, no matter the skill level.

I wouldn't dog someone who had actual social anxiety, because we are all nerds and have been there at one point or another. Games can be good therapy for that.

Ok, that makes sense. And yeah, that is a different situation.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

The last thing I want to deal with at a tournament is someone burning up clock time trying to tell me star wars lore. I'll gladly take someone who just wants to play the game.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

enigmahfc posted:

Like, one time before a tournament match me and him had, he looked at my list and said, "okay, I know my list can beat yours." and that was about the only thing he said.

I'm going to ask the question we're all desperately wanting the answer to: did you win?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Slandible posted:

The last thing I want to deal with at a tournament is someone burning up clock time trying to tell me star wars lore. I'll gladly take someone who just wants to play the game.

There is a middle ground between eating up time talking about annoying as gently caress stuff, and being a stone silent block of wood. Neither are fun to play against.

TheCenturion posted:

I'm going to ask the question we're all desperately wanting the answer to: did you win?

I didn't want to say anything, but yeah, torn him him the gently caress up. He was visibly mad after the match.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

enigmahfc posted:

There is a middle ground between eating up time talking about annoying as gently caress stuff, and being a stone silent block of wood. Neither are fun to play against.
Well, we were talking earlier about stupid psychout tricks....

quote:

I didn't want to say anything, but yeah, torn him him the gently caress up. He was visibly mad after the match.

:awesomelon::respek::black101:

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Been having lot of fun with Aturi Cluster, and was wondering if anyone here has tried X-Wing: Ground Assault.

http://xwingassault.com/index

I have lots of jungle terrain for 40k and would love to have some "Yavin 4" style ground battles. The production above looks pretty slick, so I thought I'd check to see if anyone's given it a try.

Also, I recently bought a 3'x3' table with the intent of specifically making it an X-Wing game surface. First step was to paint and stain it brown:

Then install sliding shelves for token and cards. I did this by screwing a sheet of acrylic (light, strong and won't warp) to drawer slides. The screws went clear through, so I took off the points with an angle grinder.

Here's the table (will eventually get various decoration stuff inside - fossils, mineral samples, decorative lichen, etc).

And here it is ready for wangin'. Will eventually get nice-looking fabric containers to slide under the table and hold all my X-Wing ships and materials.

So pretty much, a stock table with sliding shelves. For those of you who want to keep you nerdery hidden!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Slandible posted:

Honestly the worst is playing with people who spend the whole game complaining about die rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Panzeh posted:

Honestly the worst is playing with people who spend the whole game complaining about die rolls.

I don't complain the whole game. I wait until I blank out on reds several times in a row. Then, I complain.

Complaining is how I keep myself from flipping the table.

• Locked thread