Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Did WotC play this set in paper? Every single mechanic is super fiddly and annoying to do. Also where the gently caress are the removal spells? There's like a total of 10 spells in the set that can remove creatures and most are rare or on the back half of Aftermath cards, so are essentially 2 color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I win.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Awesome!

Went 3-0-1 with g/w with 2x MOUTH and barely any removal. MOUTH is good.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Now rip it in half

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Super sweet

Now that you've held one in your hand, how do you feel about Invocations? Are they cooler in person?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Grats on the Force of Well. :pusheen:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

sit on my Facebook posted:

Super sweet

Now that you've held one in your hand, how do you feel about Invocations? Are they cooler in person?

As a former art major: it's still loving hideous.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i couldn't read the card (but this time it's cause it's a bit too small, not neccesarily the font) and i assumed it was Kefnet

Force is good, hell great even, but not quite as good a limited card, which I'm sure is made up for by it being worth a hundred billion dollars

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
and before anyone gets snippy, my phone won't enlarge images anymore for some reason so i couldn't blow it up to read the text either

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Did WotC play this set in paper? Every single mechanic is super fiddly and annoying to do. Also where the gently caress are the removal spells? There's like a total of 10 spells in the set that can remove creatures and most are rare or on the back half of Aftermath cards, so are essentially 2 color.

This set has the same number of removal spells as every large set from the past several years, their set skeleton is pretty tight these days.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tales of Woe posted:

This set has the same number of removal spells as every large set from the past several years, their set skeleton is pretty tight these days.

In terms of constructed a good but somewhat conditional instant B removal spell (e.g., grasp of darkness, ultimate price) is conspicuously missing. Probably because of the rotation change.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

Yea 10 is just a wrong count. There are 10 just at common/uncommon, without going into multicolor/aftermath
3 in white (Compulsory rest, Impeccable Timing, Cast Out)
1 in blue (Illusory Wrappings, and essence scatter is good enough to kinda count)
2 in black (Final Reward and Splendid agony)
4 in red (Magma Spray, Electrify, Deem Worthy, Trial of Zeal)
1 in green (Cartouche of Strength)

The power level is shifted about somewhat, but this isn't even counting all the situational/psuedo-removal cards, like Time to Reflect, Grim Sniper, Trial of Ambition, etc

This set is a little more removal light than some recent sets, but it's very minor.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

There was a wotc person spellslinging at the lgs who had a sealed deck that was 1 drake haven, 1 faith of the devoted, 1 archfiend of ifnir, land, and the rest cyclers. It was so stupid and good.

Wotc employees can't play prerelease or for two weeks afterwards

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

born on a buy you posted:

Wotc employees can't play prerelease or for two weeks afterwards

Spellslinging isn't playing dumb dumb.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Super sweet

Two got pulled at my pre-release, they are loving hideous. I'd say even worse in person.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Two got pulled at my pre-release, they are loving hideous. I'd say even worse in person.

I wouldn't go that far, but I did trade away my Entomb as soon as I found out it was worth $46 at TCG mid.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Rinkles posted:

In terms of constructed a good but somewhat conditional instant B removal spell (e.g., grasp of darkness, ultimate price) is conspicuously missing. Probably because of the rotation change.

The Constructed-Worthy Uncommon Black Kill Spell has been showing up in the small sets lately e.g. Grasp of Darkness, Murder, Fatal Push. I'm sure Bolas has one up his sleeve for HOU.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

Now rip it in half

came here to post this, only way to be sure it's real

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tales of Woe posted:

The Constructed-Worthy Uncommon Black Kill Spell has been showing up in the small sets lately e.g. Grasp of Darkness, Murder, Fatal Push. I'm sure Bolas has one up his sleeve for HOU.

Point is things would be pretty dire if there was nothing between Murder and Push, which would be the case w/o BFZ still around.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

little munchkin posted:

came here to post this, only way to be sure it's real

it certainly doesn't look like my force, it probably doesn't even pass the light test

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

All these pre release stories are killing me. First one in a while I wasn't able to get to. Someone summarize what I should try to draft, though.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I personally thought these masterpieces look way way better in person, but they're still pretty awful. The foiling helps make the border and art pop a little bit, and helps to distract from all the horrible design decisions.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Went 2-2 in 2HG prerelease today. Format was much slower than I expected. Ran a removal-heavy WB Zombies deck with a Liliana and the 5/4 flying demon. Got off to a bad start when I drew literally zero removal in game 1, narrowly lost game 2 to a Faith of the Devoted that dropped early and hit us for 4-8 life per turn (rough).

Fun times, though. Ended up pulling another Liliana later on.

Super sweet

They are cooler in person, but still not great

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Ein Sexmonster posted:

This set is a little more removal light than some recent sets, but it's very minor.

I think it's got about the same amount as Kaladesh, the mechanics are just less friendly to people leaning on removal/attrition to win.

At common in particular their removal setup has become very prescriptive:

White has a Pacifism variant and an instant that kills stuff in combat, plus sometimes Smite the Monstrous or a tapper
Blue has an aura removal of varying quality, a bounce spell, and 2 counterspells of varying quality (AKH's Essence Scatter/Cancel is about the best you can get here)
Black has a spell that hits everything, a spell that hits 2 or 3 toughness, and usually a spell that hits 1 toughness
Red has a bigger burn spell (usually 4, sometimes 5), a smaller burn spell (usually 2, sometimes 3), and often a 1 damage one that hits multiple things
Green has a Plummet variant and a Prey Upon variant

pretty much every set going back to like DTK follows this pattern

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

ShaneB posted:

Someone summarize what I should try to draft, though.

Good cards. I don't mean that to be flippant, but I think this is a less heavily synergy driven set than a lot of past ones. That said, there's still plenty of synergies and build-arounds you can exploit, but if you take creatures and spells that give you lots of value (embalm comes to mind) or put a ton of pressure (red/black/green exert or -1/-1) you'll probably be able to come out ahead of people that are trying to pull more complicated shenanigans. Fan bearer is a great card at common that can help deal with some particularly difficult threats, though not one you want to stack a million of in your deck, the bearer can tap indestructible gods, and break the protection on that 5/3 Embalmy Sphinx of the Bullshit Wind. Cartouches and Trials can be completely disgusting together, and range from decent to insane on their own. Evasion is particularly good, with embalm around you can chump block forever. If you can't do embalm, get some big butts. Or play aggro, and smash fast; fling and some repeatable effects can give you reach, and exert lets you get extra damage in to let you try and steal games. Red in particular can just explode out of nowhere. As vanilla things go, I like Ancient Crab and Those Who Serve a lot, otherwise, you're gonna want your creatures to have some sort of utility effect or cycling. Luckily pretty much everything has cycling or exert or embalm or something else attached.

I'm excited for Monday, 7 friends are coming over with some prize packs to get us a head start on drafting. It'd be more exciting if online were lagging as usual, but it's still a good time.

Shovelmint fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 23, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mandatory lesbian posted:

i couldn't read the card (but this time it's cause it's a bit too small, not neccesarily the font) and i assumed it was Kefnet

Force is good, hell great even, but not quite as good a limited card, which I'm sure is made up for by it being worth a hundred billion dollars

I was just gonna say now he can see how lovely Force is in Limited. lol

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a place to look up awful card binder art?

I won one once that had two anime catgirls in space that was so loving awful I had to give it away, wanted to show a friend what it looked like

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Shovelmint posted:

Good cards. I don't mean that to be flippant, but I think this is a less heavily synergy driven set than a lot of past ones. That said, there's still plenty of synergies and build-arounds you can exploit, but if you take creatures and spells that give you lots of value (embalm comes to mind) or put a ton of pressure (red/black/green exert or -1/-1) you'll probably be able to come out ahead of people that are trying to pull more complicated shenanigans. Fan bearer is a great card at common that can help deal with some particularly difficult threats, though not one you want to stack a million of in your deck, the bearer can tap indestructible gods, and break the protection on that 5/3 Embalmy Sphinx of the Bullshit Wind. Cartouches and Trials can be completely disgusting together, and range from decent to insane on their own. Evasion is particularly good, with embalm around you can chump block forever. If you can't do embalm, get some big butts. Or play aggro, and smash fast; fling and some repeatable effects can give you reach, and exert lets you get extra damage in to let you try and steal games. Red in particular can just explode out of nowhere. As vanilla things go, I like Ancient Crab and Those Who Serve a lot, otherwise, you're gonna want your creatures to have some sort of utility effect or cycling. Luckily pretty much everything has cycling or exert or embalm or something else attached.

I'm excited for Monday, 7 friends are coming over with some prize packs to get us a head start on drafting. It'd be more exciting if online were lagging as usual, but it's still a good time.

There's a deck to be built around the cycling/discard mechanics, but you have to go for it. It takes more than a few cards to make work well.

The green cartouche is really good

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

mandatory lesbian posted:

you went 4-0 so i'm not gonna say it was wrong to play or anything but you probably had a better card then the Luxa River Shrine in your pool

That card is actually bonkers in limited. It sounds bad but the extra card draw/mana helped a friend of mine go 4-0 at 2HG today. Cartouches/Trials are the way to go, people who plan on drafting.

I went 3-0-1 with my partner, whose promo was MOUTH so I got to CAST MOUTH. Cracked a foil Nissa in a prize pack, felt good.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

TheChirurgeon posted:

There's a deck to be built around the cycling/discard mechanics, but you have to go for it. It takes more than a few cards to make work well.

The green cartouche is really good

Yeah, but you should be grabbing those good cyclers anyway. And a lot of those cards that synergize with cycling and discard are fine on their own, and just get insane when you can trigger them reliably. Trying to go off with Flameblade Adepts in a regular deck is stupid. Probably stupid in a cycling deck too.

Green cartouche is insane though.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

That card is actually bonkers in limited. It sounds bad but the extra card draw/mana helped a friend of mine go 4-0 at 2HG today. Cartouches/Trials are the way to go, people who plan on drafting.

You're thinking Bounty of the Luxa not Luxa River Shrine. Bounty is nuts. Shrine is nots.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Shovelmint posted:

You're thinking Bounty of the Luxa not Luxa River Shrine. Bounty is nuts.

Ah yeah, my bad. Ignore my previous comment.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Got a pretty strong pool today with Liliana, Regal Caracal and some good zombie synergy like Wayward Servant, and also Trial of Ambition and the Cartouches of Ambition and Strenth. Green splash at the top end for honored Hydra as a bomb, and stuff like the second part of Prepared/Fight.

The Trail and cartouches lead to some really solid tempo plays, and in the last game a topdecked Liliana saved me snd got to her ultimate just in time before my opponent could break through or go over the top.

Should I be concerned when there is a big gap in my curve? 1-3 CMC seemed fine, but at 4 I think I only had Cast Out and Pitiless Vizier, plus I suppose a couple of Embalm cost and aftermaths. At 5 I had Liliana, Caracle, and Final Reward.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I durdled to 2-2 with some horrible Bant stuff, continuing my proud tradition of never pulling a card worth more than $3. I always tell myself to stick to 2 colors but I never follow my own advice.

At least I had the privilege of saying "I cast Mouth" but that's about it. It was my promo :smuggo:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

I went 3-0-1 with my partner, whose promo was MOUTH so I got to CAST MOUTH. Cracked a foil Nissa in a prize pack, felt good.

oh buddy, that isn't luxa river shrine you're thinking of

oh nevermind scrolled down

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

YggdrasilTM posted:

I fondi Gideon an absolutely useless planeswalker

I won a bunch of games off it so I guess I feel the opposite. It's not game breaking but it's not Ally of Zendikar by design.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mcmagic posted:

I was just gonna say now he can see how lovely Force is in Limited. lol

It ate a turn-two Combat Celebrant in game three. An Essence Scatter or Censor would have done the same job because I didn't make a play on turn two. Good enough.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Star Man posted:

It ate a turn-two Combat Celebrant in game three. An Essence Scatter or Censor would have done the same job because I didn't make a play on turn two. Good enough.

It's much worse than those cards. You're down a card.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

mcmagic posted:

It's much worse than those cards. You're down a card.

Apart from drafting Eternal Masters, though, when are you going to be able to cast Force of Will in sealed? If I pulled it I would've played it just to say I could.

Would've been nice for me since I was playing blue, but I'm not lucky enough I suppose. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Went 3-1 at the prerelease. I don't know if anyone cares but you're getting a full tournament report anyway

Rest of pool: https://imgur.com/a/TrrzP
Thoughts on deck:
- Rhonas is insane. Shocking, I know.
- I wasn't sure how good Hepatra was, but she's actually also insane. Every time I drew her she made me 3 snakes before she was killed.
- Splendid Agony is pretty good in general, but even better with Hepatra. If you put the counters on 2 dudes you get 2 snakes.
- Oracle's Vault was...Okay. It's a slow card drawing engine which does slow card drawing engine things, winning long games but useless in short ones. It won me one game singlehandedly, was useless in another, and was solid in a third.
- Crocodile of the Crossing was even better than I expected, but that might be because I drew it with Rhonas a lot and Rhonas into Crocodile is gross.
- Quarry Hauler was a bit worse than I expected, a lot of the times I played it it got me no value. Still fine obviously.
My deck basically built itself outside of the last few cards, the only interesting decisions were whether to splash Cut to Ribbons and 16 or 17 land. If I had even a single piece of playable fixing I probably would have splashed Cut; since I didn't, I decided it wasn't worth it. I think this is usually going to be a 17 land format but I thought I didn't have enough mana sinks since I had no embalm. In addition, I have 2 mana dorks and some cyclers. In retrospect, that was quite possibly wrong with Gravedigger and Vault, but I think it's close.

M1g1(u/r): my opponent got stuck on 3 mountains. I mulliganed into turn 4 Rhonas turn 5 Crocodile.
G2: this one went long. Saddest play was Nevering a 2 mana 2/1 so I could Return opp's 3/2 embalm flier. Eventually I drew Oracle's Vault which drew me like 5 cards, and then eventually after that I drew Rhonas, but Vault had really done the heavy lifting by then.
M2g1(w/b zombies): I got stuck on 2 land until turn 5, but Hepatra actually gave me a real chance to be in it by making me 3 snakes once I finally got my third land. Unfortunately I forgot Lord of the Accursed gives zombies menace because I'm bad at Magic, and let him activate it after casting the make 3 zombies card. I killed it after that but the damage, quite literally, had already been done and I died a few turns later.
M2g2: I basically got tempoed out by Binding Mummy's, the wb uncommon, cursed Minotaur, and other miscellaneous cards. Multiple Binding Mummy's is really good and his deck was neat. I sided in the fog and it was actually fine, but not good enough.
M3g1(Jund): opponent was manascrewed. I was kind of flooded, but Ornery Kudu did literally 15 damage while he discarded every turn.
M3g2: Opponent played various giant things while I played various less giant things. At one point he put the Unstable Mutation on a Grim Strider and attacked with that, a 4/5, and an exerted Emberhorn Minotaur. I blocked the Strider with a Doomed Dissenter and triple blocked the 4/5 with a Cursed Minotaur, an Ornery Kudu, and some other similarly sized creature, which surprised him. He had a Splendid Agony, but that meant his 4/5 still died. Over blocking can be pretty good. I was able to eventually stabilize, play an Oracle's Vault and Hepatra, and win not long after that.
M4g1(WBR stuff): Both of us curved out decently, but then he cast an Angel of Sanctions. I didn't draw much and then I lost. Angel of Sanctions is really good, try not to be too surprised. He had several embalm dudes including the angel so I sided in Scarab Feast, because I figured I might be able to get some embalm dudes (mostly the angel), and if not it cycles cheaply.
M4g2: his draw was pretty good, curving Doomed Dissenter into Plague Belcher with a solid mix of lands and spells. My draw was even better, with Festering Mummy into Rhonas into Crocodile of the Crossing with similarly solid backup. I Unburdened away his fifth land but he never drew Angel of Sanctions anyway. Rhonas: still broken in limited.
M4g3: I kept a mediocre hand while he mulliganed to 5. I played some random 3 drops and ripped a Crocodile of the Crossing on turn 5 and he just didn't have enough to deal with it because, well, mull to 5.

Won 5 packs, haven't opened them. Set was fun.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 24, 2017