Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Something wicked this way comes...

Malagor is a hell of a lot more fun again (not instantly nullified by the superior Morghur/Khazrak), when you're running Gejnor's improved magic and better starting units.
I'm still having fun with Malagor, but how the gently caress do you even recruit Khazrak? I've sacrificed a hell of a lot more than 10 sets and he's not unlocking, which kind of makes him pointless. By the time I get him, I'd be on turn 90+ and he'd either be starting a 3rd (weak as gently caress) horde or taking over for a level15-20ish guy with a maxed blue line. Which is alright, I suppose, since most of those skills were for +growth, but losing out on lightning strike and -15 upkeep/recruitment, and other yellow/red buffs kind of blows. Same with Morghur, though you could get him pretty early if you scrapped the Gor recruitment in your second horde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ravenfood posted:

I'm still having fun with Malagor, but how the gently caress do you even recruit Khazrak? I've sacrificed a hell of a lot more than 10 sets and he's not unlocking, which kind of makes him pointless. By the time I get him, I'd be on turn 90+ and he'd either be starting a 3rd (weak as gently caress) horde or taking over for a level15-20ish guy with a maxed blue line. Which is alright, I suppose, since most of those skills were for +growth, but losing out on lightning strike and -15 upkeep/recruitment, and other yellow/red buffs kind of blows. Same with Morghur, though you could get him pretty early if you scrapped the Gor recruitment in your second horde.

This is kinda true of a lot of LLs, I wish they got experience either tied to your starting LL's level or tied to current turn so you could make them decent from the start.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Hey everyone it's the results of the Total Goonhammer Goonbowl finals!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ecfxynn2skss76l/Nano%20vs.%20Mukip%20finals.zip?dl=0

Game 1: VC (Nano) vs. Chaos (Mukip) Mukip puts up a valiant showing but the strength of the matchup and a mortis engine means he fails to pull off the surprise matchup upset
Game 2: Bretonnia (Nano) vs. Dwarfs (Mukip) Mukip counters my dirty counterpick in game 1 with one of his own. His dwarfs sit in a fortified spot and win.
Game 3: Chaos (Nano) vs. Empire (Mukip) Balthazar Gelt???? LMao gg
Game 4: Welfs (Nano) vs. Greenskins (Mukip) death by a thousand gobbo wolf riders and archers, plus his night goblin warboss somehow distracts my wild riders from hunting it down
Game 5: Beastmen (Nano) vs. Bretonnia (Mukip) Fate of Bjuna + morghur is a powerful combo. Close game but I take

I'm now the best goon at this cursed game. I'll accept all your praise and adulation now please

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on the Chaos campaign. I started this one by hiring a new army, transferring everything but a unit of chosen, a few marauders, and the chaos spawn. Then I dumped the marauder building in Archeon's stack. After putting a few levels on both those stacks I sent Archeon south and my second stack north to kill snow dawi. I left the maruader building in my second stack, because I actually love horsemasters. You can use horse skirmishers into forcing the AI to attack, which is amazing for slow, heavy chaos.

I'm on turn 110 now, expecting Sarthorel to show up any minute, but I'm in a much stronger position atm. All my stacks have left the north and are joining Archeon in Middenland to finish sacking things there before moving on to Altdorf. Archeon already clashed with Franz a few times on his whirlwind tour of Reikland, sacking and razing every settlement that didn't have walls.

I skipped all of Archeon's quests because the rewards are nice, but some of those are imposible to do without big losses, and it takes way too long to recoup when travelling in the south. I briefly had the mod installed that causes razed settlements to spread chaos, but it felt really broken and OP so I removed it.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 23, 2017

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also I really want this dude, Marius Leitdorf, as an Empire LL. He is already technically in as a generic Empire lord and faction leader of Averland. Cmon CA, look at him.

I'm hoping he's the Old Friend and that the Advisor is replaced by his horse Daisy. Empire really needs an alternate start and a LL with a bit more flavor.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

By the way, if you have Total Warhammer and Total War Access there's a 40% discount on your dashboard for Man O''War: Corsair over there.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ZearothK posted:

By the way, if you have Total Warhammer and Total War Access there's a 40% discount on your dashboard for Man O''War: Corsair over there.

Anyone got it? I've heard very mixed reviews.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I'm not gonna win this battle against wood elves with eagles and dragons with my 19 marauder horsemen and one chaos lord, am I. Oh well.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

Anyone got it? I've heard very mixed reviews.

Haven't played it myself but:

Deakul posted:

It's alright, crap sword play but really fun naval combat ala Black Flag and lots of cool Warham flair.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The stuff that modders are doing with the map tools is nuts, case in point: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=911937987

They made a huge rendition of Karaz-a-Karak. I mean, just look at this loving video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69_wyHX5DTI

It's insane what people are managing. I don't know how it plays or anything, but it's really pretty.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Haven't played it myself but:

Can I have a rat first mate?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Gonkish posted:

The stuff that modders are doing with the map tools is nuts, case in point: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=911937987

They made a huge rendition of Karaz-a-Karak. I mean, just look at this loving video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69_wyHX5DTI

It's insane what people are managing. I don't know how it plays or anything, but it's really pretty.

This looks incredible. Too bad it's one of the most secure capitals in the game that almost never sees a determined attack. My most interesting campaign had Grimgor take a crack at it at like turn 8 and an amazingly successful chaos offensive that crossed blackfire pass and sent an army to siege Karak a Karak.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
God I wish chaos would actually fight me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kokoro Wish posted:

Can I have a rat first mate?

No. You can only play as independant pirates or chaos and all your dudes will be some kind of human.

Except for a rare event that gives you skeleton crew.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Bah! I want to be a progressive pirate, yo.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im not sure "being pals with the murder rats" is progressive

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Does anyone ever take Speed of Horse in the Empire red tree? The skill only boosts Pistoliers and Outriders and... that would require using Pistoliers and Outriders. Am I just missing something that makes these units good to pick up the skill or is it really just Pistolkorps and Honest Steel?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Onmi posted:

Does anyone ever take Speed of Horse in the Empire red tree? The skill only boosts Pistoliers and Outriders and... that would require using Pistoliers and Outriders. Am I just missing something that makes these units good to pick up the skill or is it really just Pistolkorps and Honest Steel?

Nope it's a dumb useless skill block

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Onmi posted:

They actually changed the charge bonus from a 10% percent bonus to a flat 10 charge bonus at one point, which IIRC was a stronger buff. Still doesn't make Empire ranged cavalry worth using IMO because that slot can be given to other units that can inflict way more damage in a much quicker fashion, whether through a shock cavalry charge or explosive bombardment.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Onmi posted:

No, I never really use either unit. Outriders I find are marginally more useful than pistoliers, but you could just take knights of some sort instead and artillery.

In this way they have stuck very true to the source material and made what should be super cool units boring and useless.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I got some good mileage out of some grenade launcher outriders once, against VC. They're decent for just blowing up zombies and stuff, and it's just fun to watch them blow poo poo up. But, yeah, I guess just having another demigryph or mortar would've done more good.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Grenade Launcher outriders are great, can rack up hundreds of kills against packed infantry blobs. I've managed to get good use out of both pistoliers and outriders but in the former case this was through necessity - using them in garrison armies and winning battles I'd otherwise have lost through careful shepherding of them. I almost never put them in my field armies though because I do think other units are more useful almost always.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I thought Outriders were basically handgunners mounted on horses? The increased speed really helps for flank shots in my opinion.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I thought Outriders were basically handgunners mounted on horses? The increased speed really helps for flank shots in my opinion.
Basically, and that's what they're best used for. The problem is that you can usually maneuver handguns into the same place as you can outriders. They might get there slightly more slowly than the outriders, but they'll do more damage once they're there, be less vulnerable to other ranged units, and be better if you find yourself needing to hunker down. I still take a unit of them if I can, but they definitely aren't a priority.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Panfilo posted:

They're a bit stronger, but have way less range and ammo. Also, Handgunners benefit from Pistolkorps, giving +12% damage and ammo. If setting up formations for your handgunners were harder then I could see a better use for them. But flanking is better handled by Reiksguard and Demigryphs, and when it comes to harassing... I dunno. Maybe I'm just bad at the game, I've never had a time when that worked for me in ways that like... a Reiks or Franz couldn't do it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I will say that Outriders are definitely unhelpful as part of a walled settlements garrison. I'd much rather have a ranged unit that can actually be on the walls shooting at attackers.

It's too bad these units can't dismount because the grenade launcher variant would be really useful in siege defense.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
you don't use your cavalry to impede the progress of siege weapons?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Having a couple of units of light cavalry is still great for running down routing units. A dead man during the pursuit is a man you don't have to fight again in another battle. They are also a lot cheaper than 'real' knights.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jamwad Hilder posted:

you don't use your cavalry to impede the progress of siege weapons?

Yeah, unless your garrison is likely to be attacked before they can refill, it can be good to aggressively sacrifice your cav outside the walls so your towers get more time to shoot.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fangz posted:

Having a couple of units of light cavalry is still great for running down routing units. A dead man during the pursuit is a man you don't have to fight again in another battle. They are also a lot cheaper than 'real' knights.

Gotta use light cavalry to sheepdog retreating units all the way to the edge of the map, that's really their only use. That and sheepdogging/tying up ranged units.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

In the early campaign I've pulled a few wins out of my rear end by kiting a chunk of an enemy army using pistolliers. In sieges I've found the outrider garrisons to be most effective either shooting big stuff trying to crash though a gate or breach, or providing mediocre fire support to wall units if they get a clear shot.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My light cavalry, particularly the various dog breeds, routinely get over a hundred kills every battle. They can chow down on archers and artillery crew but, more importantly, they can really chase broken regiments and often kill them outright instead of forcing them off the battlefield. I think it's because of the way the game handles animations. Dudes on horses need to ride down and swing at people and, if you zoom in, you'll often see them milling around, or missing and having to ride out and loop around to try again. Wolves just have a frontal bite attack, which means they're dealing damage to a retreating unit way more consistently and can inflict casualties at a ridiculously fast rate.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah, puppies are the far superior version of light cavalry probably because of the animations. They're usually faster too. I typically just pretend that a unit of pistols might as well not exist, so a full stack with 5 pistol cards is really just a 15 card army. Unless you don't have ranged or dogs.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The worst case of animations meaning units underperform is: watch any lord on a flying mount try to chase down routing troops, especially a single enemy lord (mounted ideally). Just watch them constantly land, miss the charge, circle around, not attack, then take off to try again.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

The worst case of animations meaning units underperform is: watch any lord on a flying mount try to chase down routing troops, especially a single enemy lord (mounted ideally). Just watch them constantly land, miss the charge, circle around, not attack, then take off to try again.

Karl is gonna look awesome killing that guy or he's not gonna do it at all.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm not sure if the dev cycle is too short for it, but I am hoping for a few incremental engine improvements.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Had my first encounter with Kholek Suneater the other day.

:eyepop:

That guy is real big.

Then in the actual fight he went down like a punk bitch.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

John Charity Spring posted:

I think this is not only a case of animations messing up, but also a case of how sitting on a giant dragon somehow lowers the lord's combat stats. Flying mounts are great for the movement and the terror-causing, and okay for disrupting formations, but not great for actually killing anything.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm actually half convinced that animations are entirely cosmetic - from what I've heard the actual engine is just circles bumping against each other and making attack rolls, and from what I've seen of flying lords and large creatures with awkward animations that might well be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

wiegieman posted:

I'm actually half convinced that animations are entirely cosmetic - from what I've heard the actual engine is just circles bumping against each other and making attack rolls, and from what I've seen of flying lords and large creatures with awkward animations that might well be the case.

The animations still partially dictate the speed at which they attack.

• Locked thread