Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I have plenty. I just didn't equip anything before getting in the mech. I just restarted the whole drat run and equipped healing chips and got through it easily. It didn't take as long I thought it would so that was good but everything about that situation was some :wtf: game design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Route B definitely seems faster, I played from the start up to the forest village and it only took a couple hours compared to quite a few on route A. I want to get Emil's quest done this time round and a couple others. At least now I know where the major cutoff is.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

route b is significantly shorter, especially if you had spent a lot of route a clearing out sidequests

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Route B goes way faster because hacking makes you an unstoppable robo-killing machine. I don't know why they even have any other models; YoRHa really should just be a Council of Ricks 9S's, all with their own Morty 2B to even it out. The war would've ended yesterday.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Considering that they can apparently produce android bodies fast enough to have an android in a planetary scale war get killed, uploaded to the bunker, and back to the surface in a few days tops, you have to wonder why they don't just send every body out with a 2B/9S/whatever personality. Whenever a copy learns something they would upload it and you could push it out to the other copies creating a massive network of constantly learning killing machines, of course that might be too much like the machine network and YorHa is totally not like those assholes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I think the idea is that diversity is valuable.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Have you had those guys catch you with their pinwheel charge while you're busy dodging the giant behemoth in front of you? Happens all the drat time. Stubbies are secretly the most dangerous unit in the machine force.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
:lol: did this game seriously record me screwing around in the menus

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

veni veni veni posted:

:lol: did this game seriously record me screwing around in the menus

Yup! Hope you didn't do what I did and get up to go get a drink because you figured 'hey the game is paused'.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

NonzeroCircle posted:

Route B definitely seems faster, I played from the start up to the forest village and it only took a couple hours compared to quite a few on route A. I want to get Emil's quest done this time round and a couple others. At least now I know where the major cutoff is.

Plus the whole bit after fighting the giant whale robot submarine takes like 20 minutes with 9S while it probably takes over two hours for a first timer in 2B's route

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I thought that you don't have to redo side missions? The resistance camp just dumped all the ones I already did on me.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Calaveron posted:

Plus the whole bit after fighting the giant whale robot submarine takes like 20 minutes with 9S while it probably takes over two hours for a first timer in 2B's route

What

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

You know, with 2B you have to run around with the scanner pod and then do some stuff for Pascal and then run around the batshit religious robots plus Adam and with 9S it's just some geometry wars and some robot fighting and that's it

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I thought that you don't have to redo side missions? The resistance camp just dumped all the ones I already did on me.

Those two are pretty much the only ones you do have to redo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Phew. Sweet.

Edit: sorry for all the dumb questions, but what determines whether or not I can subjugate a machine? I usually don't get the option but I have done it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 24, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

AirborneNinja posted:

Considering that they can apparently produce android bodies fast enough to have an android in a planetary scale war get killed, uploaded to the bunker, and back to the surface in a few days tops, you have to wonder why they don't just send every body out with a 2B/9S/whatever personality. Whenever a copy learns something they would upload it and you could push it out to the other copies creating a massive network of constantly learning killing machines, of course that might be too much like the machine network and YorHa is totally not like those assholes.

The problem with that plan is that 9S and 2B and all the rest ARE Machines. And ones they suck at controlling at that, given how non-combat model 9S ended up.

I think basically the plot of D is that the android leadership totally gently caress up, and teach the Machines how to learn from other Machines (ones disguised as androids), instead of learning only from fighting androids. Fortunately realising androids are unnecessary, the Machines decide to just leave instead of kill everyone.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Phew. Sweet.

Edit: sorry for all the dumb questions, but what determines whether or not I can subjugate a machine? I usually don't get the option but I have done it.

You get the option if there aren't any machines that are aware of you, I believe.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

Phew. Sweet.

You're not asking dumb questions, no sweat. Some of the mechanics and particulars can be a little obscure.

If the particular machine doesn't notice you, you can subjugate/remote control them after a successful hack. I don't think you need to be outside of combat altogether for it to work, and if you remote control a machine when others have aggro on you, they'll suddenly calm down.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Yup! Hope you didn't do what I did and get up to go get a drink because you figured 'hey the game is paused'.

Just get another drink. It'll enhance your immersion

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

veni veni veni posted:

Those two are the only ones you have to redo, for whatever reason. I guess they get counted as main story missions in some sense?

Also any sidequests you started and didn't finish lose their progress, iirc.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Begemot posted:

Those two are the only ones you have to redo, for whatever reason. I guess they get counted as main story missions in some sense?

Also any sidequests you started and didn't finish lose their progress, iirc.
I didn't completey finish the Wandering Couple during Route A and that cost me an extra 50K. Was mad.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I just beat Eve to close out Route A and I can't get it to finish. All I can do is hobble 2B around. I'm at the destination marker and nothing is happening. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Look Sir Droids posted:

I just beat Eve to close out Route A and I can't get it to finish. All I can do is hobble 2B around. I'm at the destination marker and nothing is happening. Is this a bug or am I missing something?
Go to 9S?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

What I mean is the ending isn't closing out. I don't understand what I'm supposed to do. If there's supposed to be an ending cutscene I'm not getting it.

Nevermind. I just found dying Eve. Holy poo poo the destination marker is way off.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 24, 2017

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Calaveron posted:

You know, with 2B you have to run around with the scanner pod and then do some stuff for Pascal and then run around the batshit religious robots plus Adam and with 9S it's just some geometry wars and some robot fighting and that's it

oh, right. sorry, misunderstood what you were getting at.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Legs Benedict posted:

oh, right. sorry, misunderstood what you were getting at.
2B gets the meat of the experience, 9S gets the "I was doing stuff too!" treatment until Route C kicks in. You're also a higher level with equipment so most of the mobs and encounters are trivial.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Nina posted:

I kinda wanna do challenge runs to spice up replays because I want something different but Hard isn't very fun. I'm thinking like bare fists only and no chips

I just gave my all for the cause so I am facing the same question.

I'm not sure I can do NO chips. Maybe all chips okay, but no buying of slot expansions.

I'm also considering no pod firing, but offensive programs ok. I wonder if no firing + no offensive programs would be possible or if that would lead to getting stuck in certain boss fights.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I think this thread had a pretty good explanation of the 3 or 4 stores you could use to level all weaponry up to 4 and I know about the park, pascal, and emil but forget if there are others. Quick refresher, please?

Edit 1:Emil, the amusement park vendor, post-trauma pascal, and the inventor are the 4 places to get the things you need to make all weapons level 4, correct?

Edit 2: Okay so how the gently caress do I get Pascal vendor without redoing her whole section all over again. When I do chapter select after her trauma, she just isn't at the village. Do note that I went through all 3 of her story paths to see what they all did, so if taking the wrong one at any point means the chapter select is now hosed, that sucks. :(

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 24, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You need to go through that section again. There's no other way.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

DaveKap posted:

Edit 2: Okay so how the gently caress do I get Pascal vendor without redoing her whole section all over again. When I do chapter select after her trauma, she just isn't at the village. Do note that I went through all 3 of her story paths to see what they all did, so if taking the wrong one at any point means the chapter select is now hosed, that sucks. :(

You have to go to the chapter right before and make the choice again, then progress to the point where you'd see them. No other way

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
I wonder how Pascal's gender is handled in the Japanese version. They seems very femme to me because of the voice, and I'm wondering if they default to "him" instead of "it" to humanize them.
We all know that American gamers are huge babies that can't deal with A Non Sexy Girl??? In my VIDEO GAMES????? (Which is why they made Amaterasu's stuff gender neutral)

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

The Big Whoop posted:

I wonder how Pascal's gender is handled in the Japanese version. They seems very femme to me because of the voice, and I'm wondering if they default to "him" instead of "it" to humanize them.
We all know that American gamers are huge babies that can't deal with A Non Sexy Girl??? In my VIDEO GAMES????? (Which is why they made Amaterasu's stuff gender neutral)

Well he still calls himself "Pascal-ojisan". He's very much your cute robot uncle and I don't think it leaves much room for interpreting his gender as otherwise

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's weird in the english version because there is basically nothing pointing to the gender being male until like quite a bit later into the game when some other robots finally call him uncle pascal, yet everyone instinctively calls him a him despite the female voice.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

tweet my meat posted:

It's weird in the english version because there is basically nothing pointing to the gender being male until like quite a bit later into the game when some other robots finally call him uncle pascal, yet everyone instinctively calls him a him despite the female voice.

This is exactly how I felt and I played the game flipping between languages with that particular scene in Japanese (where they call him "uncle" in Japanese). It's not like there's anything else there in Japanese that 8-4 didn't or couldn't translate.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The Big Whoop posted:

I really don't think that is the reason at all tbh. I think he's just supposed to be cute sounding so they gave him a female VA. I did think he was a she for 80% of the first run though because I either missed it or they didn't call Pascal "he" until the factory raid.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

tweet my meat posted:

There's even a particular scene in the android-pair-on-the-run quest where Pascal wants to repair the female android and - if you play as 9S - asks you to look away "because you're a male" or something which made me think Pascal was a she (seemed to fit with the motherly role over the village) and the male pronouns were all localization mishaps/ambiguities. Not that it ultimately matters at all for the role or arc.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 24, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Those are secretly main plot missions wearing a side mission mask.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I just fought the secret boss 4 times. The first time to get Ending Y, the second time I auto-locked onto the boar that got me out there at the end so I accidentally got Ending Y again, the third time my graphics card poo poo the bed during the post-fight cinematic, the fourth time finally just worked. Jeez.

I think I have about 16 endings left to collect.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Presumably 2B and 9S refer to Pascal as 'he' because Anemone does the first time Pascal is mentioned (when Anemone is talking about her outside materials contact). At the time they don't know who she is referring to, but they find out who Pascal is pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i assume pascal is referred as a he because its a machine so it doesent have a gender. theres no good natural sounding way to refer to something in a gender neutral way in english that a mainsteam audiance would understand.