Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Toshimo posted:

I'd argue that the look of desperation on Supes face in panel 3 is what sells the scene.
I think Toshimo's talking about the look of shock selling the moment, not the scene as a whole.

That said, yeah, the look of hurt and desperation in Clark's face in the third panel is just so well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think Toshimo's talking about the look of shock selling the moment, not the scene as a whole.

That said, yeah, the look of hurt and desperation in Clark's face in the third panel is just so well done.

Don't you dare tell me what Toshimo is or is not talking about.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Don't you dare tell me what Toshimo is or is not talking about.

Maybe you should pay more attention to what Toshimo is saying then, hmm? Did you consider that? <:mad:>

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toshimo was talking about he was going to give me a crisp $100 bill next time he sees me

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
There are complaints to be made about Alex Ross' style, honestly, but his ability to effectively convey emotion in his work and in the character interactions far outstrips most comic book artists, I've found.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Ross is like the Anti-Land. You can tell he uses photo reference extensively, but you can also tell that he puts real work into the material he references, and that he does it in the name of better art, rather than easier art. The unfortunate downside is that his art comes out a bit too static for sequential storytelling, and his Rockwell-esque aesthetic is a bit of a sore thumb next to most modern art styles. Regardless, some of the best art in the medium has Ross' name on it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm reminded of a similar line in Kingdom Come. I can't tell if this is a reference, since the syntax is pretty different, but I couldn't help but think about it.

I hope Bruce is making waffles or something during this discussion.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

dont even fink about it posted:

I hope Bruce is making waffles or something during this discussion.

No, he's cooking a steak. Well-done.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He likes his steak without any blood. The blood reminds him of his mother's blood, on his face and his hands, on the night when they died. The black edges of the well-done steak is like the night, where he can be himself.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Alacron posted:

It wouldn't be the manga experience without tiny translator's notes in every margin :allears:

Why do they do that? This is the pirate comic that refuses to translate the word friend, right?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"Apparently" because the meaning is so deep that friend or crewmate doesnt suffice.
And they cant bother to use a word that fits based on context.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 23, 2017

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

this link got me emotionally

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Heathen posted:

Why do they do that? This is the pirate comic that refuses to translate the word friend, right?

I think most of sword guy's attacks are food puns that are hard to translate to English. But I'm not seeing any food in those notes, so who knows?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Samovar posted:

No, he's cooking a steak. Well-done.

Fire whoever wrote that. Then again I guess it kind of illustrates that Bruce has no idea what living the good life is because he's preoccupied with being Batman. Still, yuck.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

hiddenriverninja posted:

Fire whoever wrote that. Then again I guess it kind of illustrates that Bruce has no idea what living the good life is because he's preoccupied with being Batman. Still, yuck.

You can't buy class or good taste.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It was just Mark Waid letting everyone know that Superman is way better than Batman and giving one more reason for it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

In the epilogue, when the World's Finest are in the weird superhero restaurant, Bruce orders his steak well done. With black coffee on the side.

If Kingdom Come were made today, he'd just drink Soylent all day erry day.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

In the epilogue, when the World's Finest are in the weird superhero restaurant, Bruce orders his steak well done. With black coffee on the side.

That is what we're talking about, yes.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm pretty sure that was just a gag to let Supes heat up his steak for him.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also he's an old rear end man. Old people eat weird gross things, even if they were cool people when they were younger.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Batman was never cool. I mean he's a cool character to read about but he's not a cool guy.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

Batman was never cool. I mean he's a cool character to read about but he's not a cool guy.

I thought he was a billionaire, though?

Worthington's Law

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

I do like Bruce as a weird stunted dork but I have to draw the line somewhere and well done steak is that line.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Well-done steak with ketchup: The Trump Special.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

purple death ray posted:

I do like Bruce as a weird stunted dork but I have to draw the line somewhere and well done steak is that line.

I'd like to think that Alfred would have slapped him upside the head in an attempt to correct this kind of behavior, but then again, Alfred is King Enabler, so...

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I know someone brought this up last time goons started throwing a hissyfit about steaks; Bruce orders them well done because it's easier to digest and you never know when you might wind up trapped in a goddamned deathtrap/prison for a week. Also because burning the poo poo out of your food is the best way to avoid parasites and food borne illnesses. Old habits die hard.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Another way to explain it is that Batman hates anything good and fun so eating a piece of charred meat just goes right along with everything else. Just like ruining the announcement that Superman and Wonder Woman were having a kid a few minutes before, or telling Wonder Woman that she was getting fat and that's how he knew she was pregnant.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Can we talk about The Wild Storm?

(TWS#3)

You seriously need to be reading the reboot if you're not.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
One other point; it's not like this is a nice restaurant. How far would you really trust a theme diner's cook to do steak right anyway?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I assume that when Bruce was a kid he tried to make his Dad a meal for Father's Day or something and inevitably burned it because he was just a dumb kid, but Thomas Wayne was a good dad so he grinned and bore it and said 'Just the way I like it, what a treat!' and now Batman eats all his steaks charred in memory of his dead father.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

I know someone brought this up last time goons started throwing a hissyfit about steaks; Bruce orders them well done because it's easier to digest and you never know when you might wind up trapped in a goddamned deathtrap/prison for a week. Also because burning the poo poo out of your food is the best way to avoid parasites and food borne illnesses. Old habits die hard.

this sounds reasonable. what book is it from?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The well done steak bit is from Kingdom Come, I don't think it's spread to the core Batman stories.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

I'd like to think that Alfred would have slapped him upside the head in an attempt to correct this kind of behavior, but then again, Alfred is King Enabler, so...

What are you talking about? All he did was allow the emotionally damaged child for whom he was solely responsible to develop an all-consuming, extremely dangerous obsession. How could that, and directly assisting said child in pursuing his self-destructive obsession, be considered enabling?

Keeshhound posted:

One other point; it's not like this is a nice restaurant. How far would you really trust a theme diner's cook to do steak right anyway?

I wouldn't trust most steakhouses with that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I order medium rare expecting somewhere in the range of rare to medium regardless of where I go, and I'm very, very rarely surprised with an overdone steak.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Can we talk about The Wild Storm?

(TWS#3)

You seriously need to be reading the reboot if you're not.

Yeah, I'm really digging it. It's good.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Did they finally stop trying to shoe horn them into the mainline DC comics? Because the Grifter comic before was awful.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I order medium rare expecting somewhere in the range of rare to medium regardless of where I go, and I'm very, very rarely surprised with an overdone steak.

I generally have the opposite experience, to the point that I often order steak rare because I'm more likely to get medium rare than if I actually order medium rare.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Am I the only person in this thread who doesn't like the feel of pink meat? It's kind of... rubbery, I guess. If I were to eat at a steakhouse (which I generally don't), I'd get something where the meat was sliced thin; that way it doesn't get carbonized, but it does get fully cooked.

And because I try not to post here without a funny panel, here's one that's even relevant (I found it with GIS, so I dunno what issue it's from, but I assume it's Thor):

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That's from Hickman's Avengers. Either an annual or Christmas special I forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Herr Tog posted:

this sounds reasonable. what book is it from?

It's just some goon theory for explaining the panel since every time it comes up people lose their poo poo over an imaginary billionaire eating steak the wrong way.

That said, I stand by my point about the locale. That chef is earning $10 an hour, tops.