Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Das Boo posted:

Aku's wife is Aku, in a polkadot dress.

Now I want a "Leave It to Beaver"-style sitcom with Aku as all the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Serge Painsbourg posted:

Here's something I just thought of: How didn't Aku find out that Jack lost his sword sooner? You'd think that one of his assassins or informants would've have tipped him off sometime within the 50-year time span.

I hope the next episode resolves it, because that is a major issue.

It's probably just the old M A L A I S E.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It kind of felt like a clip show to me.

Still, good to see scatbot still alive and his adventures were good.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Based on this episode, I'm going to call a prediction: Jack doesn't get back to the past. He acknowledges that his purpose isn't to prevent the future that is Aku from existing, but to help/ bring hope to the people in it.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Kithkar posted:

He is real and the Scotsman is going to insult him until he bursts into a cloud of blue mist.
Fixed.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
My guess for next week is Ashi puts up a good fight against that army but will fall and before she is defeated The Scotsman's Daughters saved her and The Scotsman someone how aids Jack in finding the sword because....ghost powers?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Roach Warehouse posted:

Based on this episode, I'm going to call a prediction: Jack doesn't get back to the past. He acknowledges that his purpose isn't to prevent the future that is Aku from existing, but to help/ bring hope to the people in it.

But he's gotta get back.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

He only manages to go 50 years into the past and the series starts over again :twisted:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The last time portal is hidden in a railroad track switch

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Jack builds up speed for 12 hours to launch himself into a parallel universe where Aku never existed.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Kithkar posted:

He is real and the Scotsman is going to beat the poo poo out of him.

Dumb idea: What if Blue Jack is just Mad Jack? He was defeated but just dormant and he's still there, now mad as poo poo that 50 years of this nonsense has gone on.

Doesn't stop him from being the prey for Force Ghost Scotsman. Just another potential dumb callback.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 24, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Regalingualius posted:

I think the only disappointing bit of the episode was the rave... And that was more because of how it felt kind of cringe-y than anything else.

A shame, though, considering that's one of my favorite episodes of the series.

I actually really liked that part. The autotune song was actually done fairly inoffensively, and there's something about Ashi learning the dance that was copied from Jack's own fighting moves.

Also she was just having so much fun, she had no idea dancing was a thing :3:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Crabtree posted:

Dumb idea: What if Blue Jack is just Mad Jack? He was defeated just dormant and he's still there, now mad as poo poo that 50 years of this nonsense has gone on.

Madder Jack

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

This episode might have been fanservice but in a way it was kinda needed to show that this future isn't entirely grim and has things worth saving.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Serge Painsbourg posted:

Here's something I just thought of: How didn't Aku find out that Jack lost his sword sooner? You'd think that one of his assassins or informants would've have tipped him off sometime within the 50-year time span.

I hope the next episode resolves it, because that is a major issue.

That was resolved in the first episode when Aku hadn't gone after Jack in years. It's easy to assume that Jack killed the poo poo outta everyone who came at him before Scaramouche.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LostRook posted:

The sign on the ship said no dogs, then later on the ship Scaramouche was beaten up by dogs. Are we to expect they all rode giant penis men onto the ship?

Total failure of continuity, cancel the show.

Clearly the future of Aku makes the distinction between Pluto-like dogs and Goofy-like bipedal dogmen.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

didn't you hear the guy? he's not a dog

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, like I said. There's a difference.

Servaetes posted:

I don't think there's that much to think about because it's pretty literal

Episode seemed good I didn't recognize anything because I didn't watch the show in its heyday but did I see Zorak along with the Astro and Two Stupid Dogs nods?

Were the other two the Two Stupid Dogs characters? I didn't even make that connection.

The guy that was torturing Ashi in the last episode kind of reminded me of Moltar though.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Cosplayers at it already

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I think Jack will go back to the past, and then we'll time skip to the Future-present where he's gotten back there the long-way around, meeting an Ashi who didn't grow up in horrible circumstances.

See, to me, I don't think Jack minds that he'd be undoing all his work by changing the future. In fact, to allow people to suffer for X years is probably far worse for him. I think he'd instead choose to devote his life to protecting life.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Waffleopolis posted:

My guess for next week is Ashi puts up a good fight against that army but will fall and before she is defeated The Scotsman's Daughters saved her and The Scotsman someone how aids Jack in finding the sword because....ghost powers?

I hope Ashi and the head Scotsman's daughter(Scotswoman) end up having the exact same relationship as Jack and the Scotsman did, including getting into an epic battle over a petty argument.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

ChairMaster posted:

That was resolved in the first episode when Aku hadn't gone after Jack in years. It's easy to assume that Jack killed the poo poo outta everyone who came at him before Scaramouche.

Also we still haven't seen how he actually lost the sword, which might clear up why he's been able to hide its' loss. It's not even clear yet how long ago he lost it, he started the season decked out in gear so he'd plainly been getting by without it well enough for a while, but yeah, it's plausible he lost it some time after Aku started trying to wait him out, explaining their stalemate.

Onmi posted:

I think Jack will go back to the past, and then we'll time skip to the Future-present where he's gotten back there the long-way around, meeting an Ashi who didn't grow up in horrible circumstances.

See, to me, I don't think Jack minds that he'd be undoing all his work by changing the future. In fact, to allow people to suffer for X years is probably far worse for him. I think he'd instead choose to devote his life to protecting life.

It's totally possible that they'll have Jack get to the past, prevent the bad timeline, then show a good one where people like Ashi and her sisters are around and don't have an awful life. I think that's a weaker message though, and that they're already positioning to underline that Jack actually going back in time will come at the cost of the future he's defended for 50 years. He saved Ashi's life by showing her the truth about Aku, but what if her and her sisters might never be born in the no-Aku timeline? They were products of the cult, after all, it might not even be able to recreate the circumstances of their birth.

It sets up some tension which I think Blue Jack will ultimately embody. He appears as Jack is meant to be, shaming Jack for failing his mission, so if from this point on Jack gets back on track and everything goes swimmingly with his original goal then there's not much need for internal tension anymore. If Jack has doubts about whether he should actually go through with changing the past, though, then there's room for conflict with his sense of guilt and responsibility. It opens up space for hearing other peoples' opinion on the subject; the Scotsman may not want the timeline changed if it might mean losing his daughters.

This theme's shown up in the series before. Jack's had opportunities to get back to the past that he's passed up in favor of doing the right thing in the present. Heck, just generally, the way he constantly risks his own life to save people runs completely counter to his mission to go back in time and stop Aku at the source. Blue Jack even criticizes him for trying to save Ashi as a distraction.

This is all speculation, of course. But I do think the season so far and the last episode in particular has drawn attention to what "getting back to the past" would actually entail, and if it were just a matter of beating on Aku then it might be pretty straightforward from this point on.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The only cameo that felt awkward was Demongo, in the context of the episode everything else worked well

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, he honestly felt more like "throw him in for the sake of it".

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Watch Demongo bring back Ashi's sisters and a bunch of other Samurai Jack callbacks in the final fight against Aku.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, with how things have played out I can see Jack killing Aku in the present of the show, then having those 50 years of living applied to him all at once because his youth was tied to Aku's presence in some way (which of course Jack will find out from Aku and he'll still kill him anyway), and we end with Ashi in a samurai Gi using Jack's sword and learning the Samurai code/fighting skills from Jack, then we pan out from that short lesson to see that behind her, or near her, are all the different species he's helped (including the ones that talked with spark text above their heads in the first episode of the season) copying the sword slashes and/or punches and kicks as Ashi and old man Jack perform them at the foot of a temple of some kind.

Make it happen Genndy you mad genius :argh:.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
I don't suppose they ever talked about which kind of time travel this is in the previous seasons, did they? Seems like that could be crucial to certain decisions Jack makes in the final episode (aside from the fact that it if there's only one timeline, his sacrifice for those archer guys was completely pointless)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jack returns to the past but then Aku flings him into the future again, and this happens for all eternity.

The future refused to change.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I mean, I doubt they get into this, but there's all kinds of ways for time travel screwiness to take place. He could beat future Aku, go back to the past a minute after he was sent into the future, then lose to Aku in the past but Aku somehow forgets that, or time travel in itself could create parallel realities so the future people are still saved and exist, but in another timeline he comes back and stops it from happening in that one.

I'm down for him staying in the future, it just seems like the simplest and cleanest way to go, but it also seems a bit too obvious so maybe they'll come up with something that really meshes it all together well. He has been saying he's got to go back to the past the whole series after all, seems a bit odd for that to completely not happen...

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

They never said how far jack was flung into the future, maybe the series is only set a few years after the takeover and all the changes are just due to magic rather than natural progression

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
yeah but then Jack would have just gone back to Japan wouldn't he? I think it has to be far enough into the future that there is no trace of his culture anywhere.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Jack goes back to the past, Aku uses the same time portal magic again, cue episode 1 season 1 starting.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

raditts posted:

Yeah, like I said. There's a difference.

Were the other two the Two Stupid Dogs characters? I didn't even make that connection.

The guy that was torturing Ashi in the last episode kind of reminded me of Moltar though.

I think when the three are confronting Scaramouche the one on the left looks like the big dog from Two Stupid Dogs, the one on the right was obviously Astro and middle idk. You should screen capture the potential Moltar reference because I'm so sure I saw Zorak on the blimp

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I dunno, I think sacrificing his reverence and fame to assure the world was not terrorized by Aku for [x] years while he was gone is the more empathetic option. There's romance (traditional sense) in the idea of being responsible for a better world that no one remembers you for.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
The middle dog resembled one of the Looney Tunes bulldogs for me, the sheepdog was one of the Two Stupid Dogs and the third was Astro from Jetsons.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Das Boo posted:

I dunno, I think sacrificing his reverence and fame to assure the world was not terrorized by Aku for [x] years while he was gone is the more empathetic option. There's romance (traditional sense) in the idea of being responsible for a better world that no one remembers you for.

But if he just went to the past, slew Aku, and freed his father's empire from slavery he would still likely be the greatest hero of humanity

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sentient Data posted:

The last time portal is hidden in a railroad track switch
I'd be okay with it ending on this, honestly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Jack goes back to the past, Aku uses the same time portal magic again activates Bites the Dust, cue episode 1 season 1 starting.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

420 Gank Mid posted:

But if he just went to the past, slew Aku, and freed his father's empire from slavery he would still likely be the greatest hero of humanity

He'd mean more to the people who personally witnessed both him and Aku. If Jack succeeds, he either fades into a faceless legend or people don't give proper credit to preventive action. (They don't.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Das Boo posted:

He'd mean more to the people who personally witnessed both him and Aku. If Jack succeeds, he either fades into a faceless legend or people don't give proper credit to preventive action. (They don't.)

I don't know.

For at least a decade and probably closer to 15-20 years all of Japan (and probably more) was occupied by a towering flaming inferno of shapeshifting evil. If someone showed up after two decades of exile and slew that. I mean come on, Gilgamesh ain't got poo poo on that

• Locked thread