Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mierenneuker posted:

The best approach would probably be to alter the Oricorio nectars to work on Deerlings. Two birds with one stone.
I'm pretty sure there's four birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

My guess for Alola forms in the future is some postgame island will have a climate just like Alola and all the Alola evolutions happen there and every game going forward arbitrarily has a requisite miniature Hawaii.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Make it a version exclusive toggle

Pokemon Left gets the regular versions, Pokemon Right gets the Alolan

They havent done a proper third game since D/P/Pl so I doubt thats an issue

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Arcon posted:

They havent done a proper third game since D/P/Pl

B2W2 was a mix of third game and sequel.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
yeah but it was still a twin pair so you could preserve the "one version being alolan for no reason" thing I made up

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

less laughter posted:

B2W2 was a mix of third game and sequel.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the upcoming Pokemon Stars is going to be the Emerald/Platinum equivalent for Sun & Moon. The only gen I can think of that never got some sort of 3rd incarnation was X/Y.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 23, 2017

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Larryb posted:

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the upcoming Pokemon Stars is going to be the Emerald/Platinum equivalent for Sun & Moon. The only gen I can think of that never got some sort of 3rd incarnation was X/Y.

I thought nothing at all had been announced about the next pokemon game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hammerite posted:

I thought nothing at all had been announced about the next pokemon game.

We know nothing except the name and the fact it'll be on the Switch, yes. But as it follows the same naming convention as Sun/Moon it's a pretty safe bet this will be our 3rd version for this gen (unless all that is just a rumor, in which case nevermind).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 23, 2017

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Maybe future games could just have you visit Alola in the postgame to get Variants + Z Crystals.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
they also copyrighted pokemon grey so if that's where the whole stars thing is from, it means nothing

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
reminder that they will never ever show the original fused kyurem

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Dizz posted:

Maybe future games could just have you visit Alola in the postgame to get Variants + Z Crystals.

That seems like a pretty pie-in-the-sky idea considering they essentially don't do the whole "more than one region to visit" thing any more.

But maybe they could pull something like, oh, the aether foundation has visited to study the local pokemon, and they brought their huge goddamn floating manmade island with them. And it's spent so much time in Alola that now everything evolves into Alola forms there.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Hammerite posted:

That seems like a pretty pie-in-the-sky idea considering they essentially don't do the whole "more than one region to visit" thing any more.

Probably, but since they're always changing things that end up being questionable or dumb, I honestly don't care any more.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Larryb posted:

We know nothing except the name and the fact it'll be on the Switch, yes. But as it follows the same naming convention as Sun/Moon it's a pretty safe bet this will be our 3rd version for this gen (unless all that is just a rumor, in which case nevermind).

This is all just a rumor people made up week 1 of S/M. Gamefreak literally just confirmed they are working on a Pokemon game for switch some time in the future when they were asked before launch. Meaning more likely Pokemon Rumble (or similar, you get the idea) than Pokemon Proper.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hrist posted:

This is all just a rumor people made up week 1 of S/M. Gamefreak literally just confirmed they are working on a Pokemon game for switch some time in the future when they were asked before launch. Meaning more likely Pokemon Rumble (or similar, you get the idea) than Pokemon Proper.

There'll eventually be a Switch Pokemon proper because there isn't going to be a 4DS.

Wouldn't expect it until next generation though. I doubt that they're going to bother with a third version.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

There'll eventually be a Switch Pokemon proper because there isn't going to be a 4DS.

I would not bet on this

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheKingofSprings posted:

I would not bet on this

Pokemon Switch or the 4DS?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Pokemon Switch or the 4DS?

The no 4DS part of that

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

TheKingofSprings posted:

The no 4DS part of that

Nintendo has been talking about combining their handheld and console divisions since before Iwata died. The Switch is Nintendo's new handheld. There will never be a 4DS

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nintendo has been talking about combining their handheld and console divisions since before Iwata died. The Switch is Nintendo's new handheld. There will never be a 4DS

That was when the Wii U sold like poo poo

The Switch has sold pretty well but if it doesn't do DS numbers do you not think they'll look at making a new DS?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Switch has sold pretty well but if it doesn't do DS numbers do you not think they'll look at making a new DS?

No? if it flops they'll look into a dedicated handheld, if it does good numbers, like surpassing the Wii U's lifespan of sales in under a year then they'll continue pushing the Switch and stop dividing their attention. Hence this last 3DS with their lower-tier studios making budget titles.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I have no problem at all with some variations just plain not being available anymore unless you have X game, provided internet poo poo like Pokemon Bank makes it so that people with X game can take those mons forward. Next gen can have Alolan Variants in a little reserve not unlike the Friend Safari, and the gen after that can say "gently caress you they don't exist in this part of the world".
I do care about them making the Internet Friend Connectivity Zone less loving obtuse next time around. PSS was a drat near perfect system compared to Festival Plaza in that particular aspect. Though I greatly appreciate the pre-packaged things you can say to people during a trade. Better than the two-smiley-face system they had before.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Switch is outselling what the Wii sold in the same period.

The Switch is their new handheld.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randomdoublesbattle-565975863

Watch as I make the dumbest move in the world due to a type change and then struggle for a win in the end.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
strength sap doing work

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Switch is outselling what the Wii sold in the same period.

The Switch is their new handheld.

Pretty much, If it was pulling WiiU numbers, yeah they might have gone for a 4DS or something. Now there's pretty much no chance of that. The Switch one of Nintendo's most successful consoles now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dizz posted:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randomdoublesbattle-565975863

Watch as I make the dumbest move in the world due to a type change and then struggle for a win in the end.

when you tbolted the Protecting Skarmory I was like "I mean it was a pretty predictable Protect but I'd hardly call that the dumbest move in the world". but then whoops!!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dr. Fetus posted:

Pretty much, If it was pulling WiiU numbers, yeah they might have gone for a 4DS or something. Now there's pretty much no chance of that. The Switch one of Nintendo's most successful consoles now.

On the bright side their should be less 6 month drought periords and the next Pocket Monsters game should have a steady framerate and maybe even Pocket Monsters following you around.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Shiinotic is a loving champion

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randomdoublesbattle-566002134

I did not deserve to win this game lmao

E:

I accidentally queued into the idiot loser singles Ranbat, but instead of forfeit, I played the game out

Because I don't give a poo poo
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-566059185

Dizz fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 23, 2017

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
The most important reason there won't be another DS isn't because they want to centralize all their games on to one platform, but because they want their platforms to be Console/Mobile, and not Console/Handheld. They'll make more money in the mobile arena then they ever will trying to sell another handheld and console at the same time. The combination of handheld and console into one on the Switch is a convenient way to have their cake and eat it too.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

CubeTheory posted:

The most important reason there won't be another DS isn't because they want to centralize all their games on to one platform, but because they want their platforms to be Console/Mobile, and not Console/Handheld. They'll make more money in the mobile arena then they ever will trying to sell another handheld and console at the same time. The combination of handheld and console into one on the Switch is a convenient way to have their cake and eat it too.

I'll eat that HD, easy to put on TV, Pokémon following you cake.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
So I thought to myself that I've already breed enough physical attackers and I should work on some special ones. Then I realized exactly why I haven't breed many. A lot of the ones I've thought about using would really like to have Hidden Power. Anybody have any tips on breeding for Hidden Power? At least now Bottle Caps can make the process a little easier.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Give up now

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

dungeon cousin posted:

So I thought to myself that I've already breed enough physical attackers and I should work on some special ones. Then I realized exactly why I haven't breed many. A lot of the ones I've thought about using would really like to have Hidden Power. Anybody have any tips on breeding for Hidden Power? At least now Bottle Caps can make the process a little easier.

Which ones? Not only was hidden power nerfed to be less necessary the movepools have been widened enough that most Pokémon can do perfectly fine without it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Bogart posted:

Give up now

That seems rather pessimistic. If you choose the parents carefully, greater than 1 in 16 of the eggs you hatch should be the correct HP type. And of course they should be certain to have the correct Nature. It's slightly more difficult if you want lowered Attack or Speed, but still not that bad with the right parents.

In Gen 6 it would still have been a pain in the rear end, but with Hyper Training this generation it should be entirely doable. Probably less egg-hatching involved than trying to get a perfect mon without hyper training, which people are apparently happy to do based on previous back-and-forths in this thread.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Also what THE AWESOME GHOST says. A mon's stab attacks should be doing more damage against a neutral opponent than a Hidden Power does at 2x effectiveness (they do this if at base power 80 or higher, which you would hope they would be). Because HP isn't a very high-powered attack, in order for HP to be worth it it has to be at least 2x effective, and the mon's stab attacks need to be at least singly resisted.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hammerite posted:

Also what THE AWESOME GHOST says. A mon's stab attacks should be doing more damage against a neutral opponent than a Hidden Power does at 2x effectiveness (they do this if at base power 80 or higher, which you would hope they would be). Because HP isn't a very high-powered attack, in order for HP to be worth it it has to be at least 2x effective, and the mon's stab attacks need to be at least singly resisted.

Off the top of my head the only really useful ones would be like.. HP fire on venusaur to deal with stuff like ferrothorn that is otherwise immune to just about anything you can do and is 4x weak to this one specific move

But it's very much a move you put in to deal with one or two very specific threats

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

dungeon cousin posted:

I would've told you to give up any other generation (but 5). Find something with a fantastic iv in a stat. Breed until you get the right Hidden power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Which ones? Not only was hidden power nerfed to be less necessary the movepools have been widened enough that most Pokémon can do perfectly fine without it.

Unfortunately there are still several mons that have poo poo move pools without tutors, like a fair number of Eeveelutions. Sylveon needs fire, Glaceon needs fighting, jolteon needs ice or grass. Salazzle's poor movepool can benefit from hp ground.
It's less important than it used to be, and it's hopefully going to be even less important with the next set of games assuming they have a move tutor.