Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Screwing with 401ks does, however, affect retirees, who vote religiously, so it's generally a bad idea.

But hasn't BFC taught us that people don't understand 401ks? So perhaps people would get away with it if they hosed with 401ks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

ohgodwhat posted:

Didn't Romney have a massive 401k?

IRA actually, although as this thread can attest, business owners can create silly levels of 401k balances too.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Look, guys, guys. It is simple. The chance of outright seizure is lower than increased tax levies on 401k, which is in turn lower than for increased taxes in general. But the truth of the matter is that we have little idea of the exact probabilities for each scenario. Therefore, all one can realistically do is be watchful.

Nobody here has a time machine, right?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Retirement accounts? You losers are gonna miss out on the real growth industry: old soviet rifles.

Quoted in entirety:

quote:

Considering all the sanctions against Russia and Ukraine, the upcoming Liberal firearm defacement legislation and just general drying up of the surplus supply, does it make sense to buy a few SKSs (and maybe some cans of surplus ammo) and just toss them in the basement, cosmoline and all, for a few years? I don't think they will decrease in price... And they will definitely appreciate more that the most optimistic 6-8% any mutual fund would give you. Thoughts?

Good thing those lovely carbines weren't cranked out by the millions by numerous red leaning states during the cold war.

bonus bwm: your parents losing their home to civil forfeiture after your dumb rear end turns them into accidental felons!

quote:

[your parents] don't need [a firearms license]. If I put it in a locked container they don't have access to, legally unrestricted firearms can be stored anywhere. They don't even need to know there's a firearm in there.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I bought some old Mosins and K31s when they could be had for $79 from AIM surplus. They are all worth $250 to $400 now, but I bought them for range plinking. That's my unexpected firearms investment strategy I guess.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Unless they discover a whole new old bunker stuffed full of thousands of outdated guns (possible, but not likely at this point) SKSes are going to keep going up in price​, that's really the theme with surplus. 10 years ago you could get one (in America) for <$100, now they are $300-350 off the top of my head.

A smart investment in comparison to more traditional investments? Probably not, but I bought an old Swiss WW2 rifle (a K31 like mentioned above) for $200 seven years ago that's worth $500-600 now.

It's very much gambling.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Not as dumb as it sounds (though still dumb).

Mosin Nagant rifles, one of those lovely mass produced guns whose redeeming features were they reliably went BANG and could probably hit a soldier if it was pointed at it, were going for $50-90 not that long ago. It was a bit of a trend that people would buy these crappy guns and spend hundreds of dollars modifying them into something even dumber. Barrel-o-Mosins were a thing at gun shows. Now they're going for several hundred dollars.

It's still dumb because he's speculating on a bubble using greasy stinky rifles he can't apparently store except in a house with someone that doesn't have a license (Canada I'm guessing?). Best case scenario he makes a few hundred bucks for a bit of effort, probable scenario is he is out a few hundred dollars in grease-coated guns stinking up his parent's basement, worst case is they get in trouble somehow because he's a dumb-dumb.

(Mosins are a great fun rifle that's cheap to shoot, don't let my ragging on them fool you)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I don't know many older surplus weapons that have declined in price. The US made 6 million Garands for WW2/Korea and they are still going up in price.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guest2553 posted:

Retirement accounts? You losers are gonna miss out on the real growth industry: old soviet rifles.
The real investment value is the peace of mind they give you, in knowing that you are well armed comes what might. There is a real comfort in knowing that you have a ample supply of assault rifles close to hand (plus the ammo, of course).

And like the other posters say, if stored well, the rifles and their value will keep.

:): 10 rounds of ammo for that deer you got there, oldster?
:(: sure thing, the good old dollar aren't so good these days

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I have a M1 garand from the CMP that cost $400 and is easily worth $1000 now with new wood and bluing. Fast forward 10 years and it's not unrealistic to say it'll be worth twice that. There's only X number of these left which decline by Y% each year while the market increases by Z. Just look at what helmets and other war relics are worth now, when they were next to worthless right after the war.

Plus I can shoot it and display it as a piece of furnishing. Try that with an equal amount invested in a mutual fund.

Edit: but if this guy is in Canada then that's probably a terrible idea.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krispy Kareem posted:

Edit: but if this guy is in Canada then that's probably a terrible idea.
I recommend liquidating the investments in the States then. To ensure further value, keep the revenue man from getting their dirty hands on it by arms running.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Bought a title 2 weapon back in 2005, it has doubled in value too, and I get to go show it off at the range occasionally, which is a nice perk most assets do not have. Still, not funding my retirement with it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Maybe not by selling it... :jihad:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

John Smith posted:

The real investment value is the peace of mind they give you, in knowing that you are well armed comes what might. There is a real comfort in knowing that you have a ample supply of assault rifles close to hand (plus the ammo, of course).

And like the other posters say, if stored well, the rifles and their value will keep.

:): 10 rounds of ammo for that deer you got there, oldster?
:(: sure thing, the good old dollar aren't so good these days

If we reach the point where it's necessary to go armed and barter with ammunition, I'm going to be dead anyway so there's no point investing on that possibility

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
For real lol if you can't run more than two blocks without getting winded what makes you think you have any chance of survival in this post apocalyptic wet dream scenario

99 percent of america can't run two blocks without getting winded

Bartering would be such a non issue and wholly irrelevant amidst the chaos that would ensue

Course, preppers are not known for their rationality but still

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KingSlime posted:

For real lol if you can't run more than two blocks without getting winded what makes you think you have any chance of survival in this post apocalyptic wet dream scenario

99 percent of america can't run two blocks without getting winded

Bartering would be such a non issue and wholly irrelevant amidst the chaos that would ensue

Course, preppers are not known for their rationality but still

I swim 3 miles on my weekends. I used to run 1-2 miles before I switched to swimming. I also received professional firearms training (I am not an excellent shot, just average). And I am a young male. I would say that I should do better than average, although my chances are probably still poo poo.

In any case, this is not a realistic scenario. But there is just that tiny little glow of happiness in knowing that if it all goes to poo poo, you got 2000 rounds set aside. Similar to if you invest in wine or another hobby, I suppose. Is it a serious factor? No. But it is nice.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

2000 rounds? Scrub. People in TFR buy that at once for the bulk discount.

My plans for the Apocalypse:

1) Die.
2) If not, run out of medication, go to 1.

E: GWM, get a dealer's license, a laser engraver, and sell overpriced his and hers AR-15 sets to preppers.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 23, 2017

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

22 Eargesplitten posted:

2000 rounds? Scrub. People in TFR buy that at once for the bulk discount.

My plans for the Apocalypse:

1) Die.
2) If not, run out of medication, go to 1.
Dude, have you considered the actual ***weight*** of the ammo? Even as fit as a young male as I am (yea yea, you guys are better, blah blah blah), I doubt that I can mule even 1000 rounds for that far. I am assuming that you only used 1000 rounds up before you run out of gas.

Actually, have you considered laying aside a large reserve of medication? Not just for zombies, but in case a hurricane cuts your town off. GWM, not dying :)

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Ibuprofen will be the real currency.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not getting into the Apocalypse argument because I left that behind when I stopped being a teenager. But how do you expect someone to stockpile $300-1000 prescriptions if insurance only pays for it as often as you're supposed to need it?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Easy, you use your Mosins and 1000 rounds of ammo to occupy some Merck or Phizer facility, and sell hypertension meds to Midwestern greybeards.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Not getting into the Apocalypse argument because I left that behind when I stopped being a teenager. But how do you expect someone to stockpile $300-1000 prescriptions if insurance only pays for it as often as you're supposed to need it?
Well, we don't watch the Walking Dead because it is a documentary. Sometimes it is just for fun.

I don't really know the logistics of it all, just that it seems risky to have a short supply of something that is apparently life-dependent for you. Ultimately though, I agree that if it is insulin or some such, you are indeed screwed in the long run. But if it is just a hurricane instead of zombies, why not?

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Ibuprofen will be the real currency.
Nah. People will just endure the pain. Ammo is what counts.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Easy, you use your Mosins and 1000 rounds of ammo to occupy some Merck or Phizer facility, and sell hypertension meds to Midwestern greybeards.
And what will a bunch of sick feeble fellows pay for the medication, pray tell?

John Smith fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 23, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Insurance typically allows early refill by 3 days or more. You can build up a supply that way. If your doctor wants to help they can kick off a new prescription (100mg becomes 50mg twice a day or whatever) and get you a month.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

John Smith posted:

They'll suck your dick. Or maybe wild game? After all, you can't leave the pfizer facility to look for food.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My medication costs upwards of $5000 a dose. I get it intravenously every 8 weeks; even if I bought some and learned to run an IV, I can't store it.

I won't die immediately if I don't get it, so I would be ok if a hurricane hit when I'm due or something, but there's no long term plan if civilization collapses.

I guess I could stockpile enough weapons to become some sort of murder baron with people to tend to me like Immorten Joe. :shrug:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

John Smith posted:

Plata o Pluomo :clint:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Do not, my friends, become addicted to insulin.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Nail Rat posted:

I need it or I die but I could stop at any time.

Built-in end of life option, woo.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

John Smith posted:

Well, we don't watch the Walking Dead because it is a documentary. Sometimes it is just for fun.

The Walking Dead is fun? I thought it was a cannibal-rape snuff film where all hope dies as Carl does something stupid, while driving the new Nissan Altima.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nail Rat posted:

haha

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zo posted:

had some expensive horse sashimi tonight and instantly thought of this thread

the horse meme is strong

Was it made of horses or made for horses :ohdear:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

ate all the Oreos posted:

Was it made of horses or made for horses :ohdear:

Almost certainly of horse. It is a delicacy in Tohoku, Japan.vI only got one chance to try it when I wss there but it was the beginning of my stay there and I was not adventurous enough and thought there would be other chances. A year un when I tried to find some I was told it was seasonal and not on the regular menus, anr after that my wife had a baby and I sort of fogot about it. I deeply regret not eating raw horse when given the chance.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BigDave posted:

The Walking Dead is fun? I thought it was a cannibal-rape snuff film where all hope dies as Carl does something stupid, while driving the new Nissan Altima.

I stopped watching a few seasons ago, did anything happen to their immaculately clean and detailed green Hyundai Tucson?!

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ashcans posted:

I won't die immediately if I don't get it, so I would be ok if a hurricane hit when I'm due or something, but there's no long term plan if civilization collapses.
Sincerely and without bullshit, this is one of my bigger fears. That I suffer from a disease that renders me totally dependent on civilization. Most likely society won't collapse, but this notion is rather unpleasant to me. Sorry for you :(

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ashcans posted:

My medication costs upwards of $5000 a dose. I get it intravenously every 8 weeks; even if I bought some and learned to run an IV, I can't store it.

John Smith posted:

Sincerely and without bullshit, this is one of my bigger fears. That I suffer from a disease that renders me totally dependent on civilization. Most likely society won't collapse, but this notion is rather unpleasant to me. Sorry for you :(

If it is any reassurance, if civilisation collapses to the point where you can't get your medication, we'll have long since died - either by starvation, rioting, radiation burns or a eaten by giant squids.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spog posted:

If it is any reassurance, if civilisation collapses to the point where you can't get your medication, we'll have long since died - either by starvation, rioting, radiation burns or a eaten by giant squids.

Not very reassuring. I think I am an above average performer when it comes to surviving. Who knows? Maybe I might last an entire year or at least several months. But not if I suffered from such a disease.

Basically, my point is this, as highly unlikely as the collapse of society is, I do think it is a decent investment to set aside 3 assault riles (let's say 1 for each adult in the household) and 2000 rounds (per adult). Probably only run you about 1500 per adult. Come on, 1500 is basically just 1 vacation. Would you reallllly rather Disneyland?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This thread had made me realize we need to start creating/selling gun derivatives. We'll advertise right after the gold ads on Fox.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I hate Disneyland but yeah, a trip to Disneyland probably has more utility. There are doubtless plenty of more likely events that you are unprepared for, but you want guns so you've come up with a justification for it.

It's a hobby and probably not that BWM, but you don't have to try so hard to convince everyone else that it isn't.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Residency Evil posted:

This thread had made me realize we need to start creating/selling gun derivatives.

You mean like dead bodies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Residency Evil posted:

This thread had made me realize we need to start creating/selling gun derivatives. We'll advertise right after the gold ads on Fox.

They already have Mutual Funds that are made up entirely of Arms manufacturers and distributors.

Plus the infamous "Vice Fund" mutual fund.

• Locked thread