Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
and people can keep trying to jusitfy it as "oh hydra is this secret organization thats existed forever or whatever" but they've basically always been nazi-analogues so this is a weak as gently caress justification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's a retcon. The reality is HYDRA was created to be a stand in for Nazis even once the Nazis were no longer in power in Germany, because captain America was defined by his opposition to Hitler they had to keep it going somehow.

Saying otherwise ist marvel being coy.
Hydra in comics, though non-continuity at this point, was for a long time headed by Baron Wolfgang Von Strucker, a Nick Fury enemy from the old Howling Commando books who was repeatedly on record (in the 60s era comics where he and Nick were originally published) as thinking Hitler was a giant idiot who was going to lose the war. He was still a giant hilarious Nazi caricature though, complete with monocle and riding crop that he would snap in half when frustrated by those drat multi cultural Howlers.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it's basically this, except being done completely straight-faced

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Cowslips Warren posted:

Without going too stupidnerd, what debacle?

Oh, oh, tell me they made a woman Captain! Or a Muslim or gay one? That kinda poo poo always makes idiots sperg.

They made Cap, a character created by 2 Jewish men specifically to punch nazis, into a super-nazi. Also the writer, Nick Spencer is a huge turd who cries when real life nazis get punched.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't Captain America a criminal in the Marvel movies? He's obviously going to turn back to good in the comics. Watch Star Wars the same poo poo happens to Anakin.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

They made Cap, a character created by 2 Jewish men specifically to punch nazis, into a super-nazi. Also the writer, Nick Spencer is a huge turd who cries when real life nazis get punched.

Is he related to Richard?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

To be 100% honest I find getting worked up about comic book store workers wearing a Hydra T-shirt really difficult, especially as the only person I know in real life who is loud about it drives a Volkswagen and has no objection to drinking Fanta.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

cakesmith handyman posted:

That's mildly funny, what's your problem?

Everyone knows you can't gently caress in a VW Beetle. THESE are the gently caress machines:

http://flashbak.com/days-of-the-shaggin-wagon-a-look-at-1970s-custom-vans-33431/

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Apr 23, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What I find even funnier is the justification is that in the marvel universe now the Nazis won WWII and the allies in a last ditch effort used basically magic to rewrite history so that the nazis lost. So yes, Marvel comics posits the only way the Nazis could lose is with magic, and that their greatest super aryan warrior was corrupted by jewish science.

Its amazingly tone deaf.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Wait, so is captain america actually just straight up really a nazi now? Like there's not gonna be some mind control plot or evil clone or fake traitor poo poo?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Chris Evans is also threatening fascists irl so once again movies and comics just can not get that continuity straight.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

Wait, so is captain america actually just straight up really a nazi now? Like there's not gonna be some mind control plot or evil clone or fake traitor poo poo?

the status quo will return at some point, who knows how. it's still comic books after all

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Sam Faust posted:

Captain America was recruited by Nazis Hydra when he was a kid and he helped them win WWII, but the Allies used the Cosmic Cube to rewrite history, including making Captain America a hero.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Cosmic Cube, huh? I don't know what that is, but it sounds real loving stupid.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

People get spitting mad about this poo poo? gently caress, that's not even soap opera quality of writing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

People get spitting mad about this poo poo? gently caress, that's not even soap opera quality of writing.

"We got this cube thing, and it can rewrite all history" is one of the laziest plot devices I've ever heard.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Sam Faust posted:

first revelation: Cap's secretly been a Nazi all along

second revelation: Red Skull used a Cosmic Cube to alter history so that Cap had secretly been a Nazi all along

third revelation: Red Skull actually just put things back the way they were supposed to be: the Allies had lost the war but then they used the Cosmic Cube to alter history so that Cap was an anti-Nazi.

in terms of unpopular retcons, it might be up (down) there with the Clone Saga.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

"We got this cube thing, and it can rewrite all history" is one of the laziest plot devices I've ever heard.

Why wouldn't they have just rewritten World War 1 so that none of the destabilization that led to WW2 happened at all?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

it's been around since 1966, not that it isn't a dumb plot device but like, this isn't a new comic book thing

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why wouldn't they have just rewritten World War 1 so that none of the destabilization that led to WW2 happened at all?

the nazis deffo would have had interest in keeping ww1 around tho

as for the allies, maybe they liked punching hitler so much they thought WW1 was worth doing

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I'm agreeing with Tiggum. What the hell is wrong with me?
It might be a tumor.

PostNouveau posted:

Cosmic Cube, huh? I don't know what that is, but it sounds real loving educated stupid.
FTFY.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

PostNouveau posted:

Welcome to comic books, its full of awful plot devices.

Evil twins, parallel universes, cosmic cubes, LMD's, ROBODOOMS.

As a massive Captain America fan I actually think the idea that Cap in the unaltered timeline was a Nazi is a very interesting idea. It basically means that all of Marvel continuity from the 1940's onward was built on a cosmically induced lie.

I mean, it's an incredibly stupid idea, but it's still very interesting.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think it's more What-If interesting more than Full-scale Retcon interesting. It kind of pees all over the legacy of his creators in a way that doesn't sit right, especially in this political climate.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone wasn't sure if there's a topic worse than the United clusterfuck, well, there it is!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Update: Hydra will be rounding up their enemies, The Inhumans, in camps. The Inhumans, another superpowered Kirby creation, have become a bigger focus in the past few years since MCU doesn't have rights to the X-Men/mutant characters.

Marketing-wise some are excusing this as Marvel's way of making a relatively unknown group of characters more sympathetic ala mutants being hated, but it's just amazingly poo poo storytelling in today's political climate. Throw in rumors and speculation that Magneto* will also be revealed as Hydra all along and people are rightfully livid.

Folks like to blow off comic books as "oh those nerds and SJWs are soooooo upset who cares" but that's completely myopic in 2017.

* Magneto is canonically Jewish and a concentration camp survivor

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How many hundreds of people even read those comics? That's why nobody cares.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
This is why I never have, and will not read comic books.

Also lol at comic book writers intoducing a literal magic retcon device.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If Marvel were just a comic book company this would be bad, but they're idiots so gently caress them. But Marvel is a Disney owned media property. It's like the company is daring Disney to fire the lot.

Edit: To be clear, I would be in favor of that.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Shut the gently caress up about comics you loving nerds.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Non Serviam posted:

Shut the gently caress up about comics you loving nerds.

Yeah, as far as bad derails go, this is a doozy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't mind because the posts are pretty summarized. at least it's not star wars talk

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Rough Lobster posted:

Evil twins, parallel universes, cosmic cubes, LMD's, ROBODOOMS.
Spider-Man selling his marriage to Satan.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Nazi cap is also getting Mjolnir, you know, that symbol that real life nazis use

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
ETA for when the writers all get outed as actual alt-right white supremacists and get shitcanned?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
And the Allies made the Holocaust happen after altering the first timeline. Don't forget that chestnut.

Edit: The writers and executives get mad whenever they're called out on pushing this Neo-nazi garbage.

RandomPauI has a new favorite as of 07:08 on Apr 24, 2017

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Huh it's almost like a character whose only reason to exist was to make children want to punch Hitler never should have been dragged out into a decades-spanning multiverse epic slash ten-digit film franchise.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

AlmightyBob posted:

Nazi cap is also getting Mjolnir, you know, that symbol that real life nazis use

That's Thor's hammer.

Nazis also use underwear, dude.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

AlmightyBob posted:

How in the gently caress are they justifying a literal Nazi being chosen by Mjolnir???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I guess I'm the only one on the forums that actually liked Secret Empire #0.

To keep this topical, I'd say Marvel's been poo poo since the lead up to Secret Wars, which was their big company wide event/re-set. I'd also argue that a bigger sin they committed (than Secret Empire) was the lead up and the event itself of Civil War 2, which centered around Captain Marvel justifying the use of preemptively arresting people for literal future thought crimes and then after building a border wall around Earth to keep them alien bad hombres off our planet.

I miss cosmic/multiverse events :(

BetterToRuleInHell has a new favorite as of 07:54 on Apr 24, 2017