Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Is Gus gay? The chilean dude who got shot at the cartel poop was his lover? Whaaaat?!?

And here I thought he was his brother, you know, his hermano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How do you think Chuck prefers his tots; full size and evenly baked or tiny and burnt? What kind of tater tots can you even make with a camp stove?

Compressed in an artisanal stovetop waffle iron with hatch chiles.

Duh

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Aardark posted:

Serving suggestion: keep frozen??

You use them as ice cubes for a salty delicious potatoey cocktail

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They pretty explicitly said Gus was gay right at the end of the Breaking Bad finale. It was right before Walter got onto the bus and the credits rolled.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

veni veni veni posted:

They pretty explicitly said Gus was gay right at the end of the Breaking Bad finale. It was right before Walter got onto the bus and the credits rolled.

I'll always associate "Send Me On My Way" by Rusted Root with that scene

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's a powerful song.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Aardark posted:

Serving suggestion: keep frozen??

Serving suggestion: don't

Serving suggestion: flying out of half of a potato that's exploding, I guess ? ?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Go to Raising Cane's where their breading is even more soggy?

I think the person most likely to see Gene is Kim. She sometimes has a Kansas City Royals shirt on, so she's from the midwest. I don't know if she's said exactly where she's from, the breaking bad wiki doesn't say anything about that. It's possible she's from somewhere in Nebraska near Missouri or anywhere northwest of Kansas City and she ends up going to Omaha for some reason. Then she stops by a mall to get a cinnabon.

She's said that she's from "a tiny little town near the Kansas/Nebraska border, you've never heard of it."

So just the sort of place that Saul would end up after getting a new identity.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My head-canon is that Los Pollos Hermanos is basically Pollo Campero. Spicy fried chicken with a bunch of region-specific authentic dishes.

I figured it was "what if in-and-out was a vaguely Hispanic fried chicken place"

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My head-canon is that Los Pollos Hermanos is basically Pollo Campero. Spicy fried chicken with a bunch of region-specific authentic dishes.

Data Graham posted:

I equate it with El Pollo Loco actually.

I agree with you both. I think they emulated the style of these restaurants very well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Re: Gus being gay (though I'll admit, maybe he's not), I remember when that episode happened, the flashback, and it was hinted at. Not like Mike's Voice or the recorder in Chau's cigarette, but actually hinted at. I believe at one point, Hector teases them when he's taking a leak in the pool, saying something like 'you like the sight of this, don't you?'. I think Don Eladio says something referencing it, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, when it came up, I thought what? No way, that's a stretch. But as I've watched the scene (and the series) over a few times since, I feel like that's what they were going for very subtly.

Edit: From Quora: In the 408 episode of the Breaking Bad podcast, the show's creator Vince Gilligan was asked whether Max was Gus's lover. He said that "It's open to interpretation. It's whatever the audience wants it to be."" So there you go, he's both gay and not at the same time.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 23, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah he might be gay in the way that Mr. Smithers "might be gay."

i.e. they won't come out and say it because it's hilarious to see all these people continuously going "what, that handsome, well-groomed middle-aged man with no children and no wife, who has never broken his even, measured tone no matter the horror and destruction around him, except for the one moment he cried out in grief and anguish when his young, handsome 'business partner' was murdered in front of him? gay??"

jfc

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Lastdancer posted:

However it is inevitable, and everyone should look forward to it

Oh believe me, I am :munch:.

The Shortest Path posted:

Assuming Kim bails on him sometime this season, it's fairly reasonable to assume that's who it'll be.

If they want to wrap things up in S4, then maybe Jimmy couldn't resist putting her as his emergency medical contact and after he passes out they contact her and she either shows up or he starts freaking out about how to hide despite that. Chuck could be the emergency contact as well, despite how at odds they are, blood being thicker than water and all that. Or if they do five seasons, S4 Gene scene has Kim or Chuck show up at the hospital and S5 Gene scene has the real meat of their conversation.

I do think the best and most interesting character to show up and meet Gene would be Kim though, having moved on and become a successful lawyer on her own and married with a few kids to someone else. I think she's the only character we've met so far that he could give a full and honest confession to and acknowledge what an rear end in a top hat he was and the terrible things he helped take place, and that catharsis of sorts is where I see any Gene-based finale ending up at.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 23, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Or maybe Kim encounters Gene and they run off together. :unsmith:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So there you go, he's both gay and not at the same time.

Schrodinger's (Heisenberg's?) Gus.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I don't see why Gus being gay is a big deal. I'm much more interested in the kids he claims to have in bb.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Edit: From Quora: In the 408 episode of the Breaking Bad podcast, the show's creator Vince Gilligan was asked whether Max was Gus's lover. He said that "It's open to interpretation. It's whatever the audience wants it to be."" So there you go, he's both gay and not at the same time.

It's the Heisengay Uncertainty Principle.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

hiddenmovement posted:

I don't see why Gus being gay is a big deal. I'm much more interested in the kids he claims to have in bb.

That was a lie.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

MiddleOne posted:

That was a lie.

You can even see like, toys or small chairs or something around when Walt goes into Gus' house. The man knows how to cultivate an image.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Is Gus gay? The chilean dude who got shot at the cartel poop was his lover? Whaaaat?!?

No, Gus was dating Dumbledore.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I thought dumbledore was that dude that made really good coffee.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

No that's Gayle who was the secret lover to Gus which is why he was so mad that they killed him

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

It's the Heisenberg Uncertaingay Principle.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just realized that if Jimmy's legal defense is "I was upset at being emotionally manipulated by my brother who I have done nothing but try to help and who has constantly treated me like poo poo," that puts him in a great position to ruin Chuck's relationship with Howard by making Howard testify about how he really feels about that crazy fucker.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I just realized that if Jimmy's legal defense is "I was upset at being emotionally manipulated by my brother who I have done nothing but try to help and who has constantly treated me like poo poo," that puts him in a great position to ruin Chuck's relationship with Howard by making Howard testify about how he really feels about that crazy fucker.
Howard would definitely not say anything bad about Chuck in court. Chuck might be mentally dysfunctional, but he's still one of the founding partners of the law firm his father made. Unless he just wants to find a way to cut Chuck completely loose, but I don't think that's the case.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If Chuck hemorrhages all their money, he might have to be cut off.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

lotus circle posted:

Howard would definitely not say anything bad about Chuck in court. Chuck might be mentally dysfunctional, but he's still one of the founding partners of the law firm his father made. Unless he just wants to find a way to cut Chuck completely loose, but I don't think that's the case.
I absolutely think "no wonder Rebecca left you" is just the opening shot in Jimmy going scorched earth on Chuck. If compelled to testify about his relationship with Chuck, Hamlin will absolutely not lie under oath to continue humoring the crazy man.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Beardo the copy guy is a weak link in your chain of Jimmy getting off.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Once again, your hatred of Chuck is blinding you to what's actually going on in the show. Howard is indeed getting weary of all this poo poo, but he's still on Chuck's side way more than Jimmy's. He legitimately thinks Jimmy is an rear end in a top hat for what he did to Chuck. He isn't going to completely turn on Chuck to help Jimmy.

People keep forgetting that Howard is kind of a jerk. It turned out he wasn't the kind of jerk who would deny Jimmy a job based on nothing but a personal animus toward him, but he's still a jerk. He basically operates according to a system of extreme meritocracy. He would have hired Jimmy even though he didn't like personally like him, since Jimmy proved his competence as a lawyer. But he also treated Kim like complete poo poo whenever she screwed up, even though he clearly personally likes Kim. It doesn't matter how crazy he thinks Chuck is. Chuck is a really good lawyer and an asset to the firm, while Jimmy has at this point proven himself repeatedly to be a criminal screw-up in Howard's eyes.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I absolutely think "no wonder Rebecca left you" is just the opening shot in Jimmy going scorched earth on Chuck. If compelled to testify about his relationship with Chuck, Hamlin will absolutely not lie under oath to continue humoring the crazy man.

He won't lie under oath, but at most he'd just admit that he personally sees Chuck's symptoms as psychosomatic. He's still going to be as sympathetic to Chuck as he possibly can. He doesn't hate Chuck.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

There may have been a time where Howard would go to bat for Jimmy but that time has long since passed. Jimmy burning his bridges at Davis And Main probably reflects badly on Howard since Howard and Kim talked kindly of Jimmy when Davis and Main asked.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Howard has had plenty of opportunities to cut Chuck off, and to do it in a way that nobody (even Chuck himself) could dispute was perfectly above board. He's never taken one and I don't see him starting now.

From memory there is a scene in season 2 where he wistfully talks to Kim about how he wishes he could have had the balls like she does to just walk away from a big, prestigious law firm and try to build something of his own. He couldn't shake his father's pull though and Chuck is obviously tied up in that desire to prove himself worthy of his father's legacy - Chuck knew his dad, Chuck is a legend in legal circles, Chuck is a founding partner. Howard will go out of his way to keep him happy. He might not lie under oath for him, but I'm sure he'd do everything in his power to avoid having to testify at all.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Hamlin gets depressed, quits the legal profession, gains 150 pounds, shaves his head and joins the DEA

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The defense is, was, and always has been, "I made the whole thing up so my brother would stop acting crazy," which introduces enough reasonable doubt to kill the case outright. It's all right there on the tape.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NowonSA posted:

If they want to wrap things up in S4

Isn't the plan 6 seasons, just like BB?

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
The tape is not the crime anymore. He's off to the hoosgow for breaking and entering and destruction of property.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like the idea that Jimmy's going to have to defend himself in court or risk disbarment, with Chuck as his primary opponent, and his reputation as a friendly lawyer to senior citizens will be ruined as the details of the trial are publicized. In the end, though, he'll pull off a miraculous Saul Goodman-style acquittal by working the jury. This will drive Chuck, who will do everything completely right by the books but still lose, fully insane. As part of the proceedings, everything will come out about Chuck's mental illness -- maybe he'll even end up committed -- and that will be the final blow that drives the two of them apart. Maybe it will also torch the McGill name for good -- HHM becomes just Hamlin & Hamlin, and Jimmy changes the name of his practice, having given up trying to fly straight for good.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

I like the idea that Jimmy's going to have to defend himself in court or risk disbarment, with Chuck as his primary opponent, and his reputation as a friendly lawyer to senior citizens will be ruined as the details of the trial are publicized. In the end, though, he'll pull off a miraculous Saul Goodman-style acquittal by working the jury. This will drive Chuck, who will do everything completely right by the books but still lose, fully insane. As part of the proceedings, everything will come out about Chuck's mental illness -- maybe he'll even end up committed -- and that will be the final blow that drives the two of them apart. Maybe it will also torch the McGill name for good -- HHM becomes just Hamlin & Hamlin, and Jimmy changes the name of his practice, having given up trying to fly straight for good.

I do too, though I think the final season should still be post Breaking Bad, or at least, the last half-season. I want Saul to just give a finger to everyone by clearing his name.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Chuck's insane. Jimmy can use that. The set-up feels clear. But why the new name?

If Jimmy stays Jimmy, Chuck could ask him to give up the name and he would.

If Jimmy breaks, he could just want to leave all that poo poo behind.

If Jimmy breaks a la Walt, he could ruin the name.

Edit: Or maybe Jimmy doesn't use Chuck's insanity. Maybe it's just leverage, and the firm negotiates to suppress Chuck's chicanery if Jimmy agrees to nut sully the McGill name with his practice.

Edit 2: This could also leave him with a chip on his shoulder. Partnering with Walt could make him sufficiently rich and powerful to one up HHM and (loving) Chuck.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

About the biggest gently caress you Jimmy could give Chuck would be if he successfully defended himself by dragging Chuck through the mud, then decided to change his name afterwards to Saul Goodman because "Well Chuck thanks to you the McGill name's worth nothing in law now."

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Re: Gus being gay (though I'll admit, maybe he's not), I remember when that episode happened, the flashback, and it was hinted at. Not like Mike's Voice or the recorder in Chau's cigarette, but actually hinted at. I believe at one point, Hector teases them when he's taking a leak in the pool, saying something like 'you like the sight of this, don't you?'. I think Don Eladio says something referencing it, but I could be wrong.

Its Hector who goes "Dark meat and white meat, don't look like *brothers* to me" in a way that really sounds like he was calling them fags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

massive spider posted:

Its Hector who goes "Dark meat and white meat, don't look like *brothers* to me" in a way that really sounds like he was calling them fags.

Ding

• Locked thread