Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Bench Mozu, we've already seen her in action. Let's see what our new Conquest characters can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Keep Mozu, Bench Odin

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Bench Mozu. She had some fun, let the conquest crew have a turn.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Bench Mozu, it's time for ODIN DARK and associates to show off.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Bench Mozu, show off the new characters.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Bench Mozu. New characters are better and she's outdone by Niles anyway both as a character and unit.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Put in Mozu, bench Odin

I didn't play Awakening and I understand that a lot of people like Odin for being Owain, but man he's just so bad in this game

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Bench Mozu.

Need to find some other good people for the (I assume) inevitable mish-mashup that is Revelations!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

inthesto posted:

I didn't play Awakening and I understand that a lot of people like Odin for being Owain, but man he's just so bad in this game

Lissa and Owain

C B A

For coincidence, Henry was the father in the Awakening LP, one of the only sources for Dark Mage inheritance.

Tae fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 23, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Keep Mozu, bench Jakob

that butler of ours has been disappointing

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Bench Mozu.

Odin is a loser but why waste a Heart Seal on Mozu when Jakob could use it?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Bench Odin. He was a nut and kind of endearing in Awakening. Here he's annoying.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Bench Odin

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Bench Mozu, she's had her turn and Niles is the only archer you need.

I actually thought Conquest's dialogue is fun and shows off a lot more personality, and while the plot is kinda dumb at this point it was uh... forgivable. Sadly it steadily gets worse and worse until it just becomes plain dumb.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Bench Mozu

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Bench Mozu, she's had her turn and Niles is the only archer you need.

I actually thought Conquest's dialogue is fun and shows off a lot more personality, and while the plot is kinda dumb at this point it was uh... forgivable. Sadly it steadily gets worse and worse until it just becomes plain dumb.

tbh i checked out when corin went up to garon and was just like "oh please love me again"

like there was no way to make that justified other then i guess the writers wanting an ultra-realistic look at kids with abusive parents, which i have the strangest feeling wasn't the actual intent

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

mandatory lesbian posted:

like there was no way to make that justified other then i guess the writers wanting an ultra-realistic look at kids with abusive parents, which i have the strangest feeling wasn't the actual intent

That's kinda how I justified the plot developments (at this point in the game) yeah. I mean, regardless of whether or not the writers intended it that way, you can read it that way, and it makes Corrin's obtuseness regarding Garon (again, at this point in the game) understandable.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bench Mozu we cant even get a proper, nohrian est and have to settle for a dirty hoshidan? Not in this army!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

CBA

Our army is thinking of developing some new weapons. They need these weapons named.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Bench Mozu. She doesn't deserve having to serve under this idiotic of a commander.

blizzardvizard posted:

That's kinda how I justified the plot developments (at this point in the game) yeah. I mean, regardless of whether or not the writers intended it that way, you can read it that way, and it makes Corrin's obtuseness regarding Garon (again, at this point in the game) understandable.

The problem with this is that Corrin's had basically no remembered interaction with Garon, ever, before the beginning of the game. They've been confined to the mountain fortress basically their entire life with only the servants and occasionally the Nohrian siblings for company. There's absolutely no frame of reference for wanting to win the approval of someone they've basically never even met, let alone be this desperate for it, especially since they were already getting plenty of attention from either group of siblings. If that had been the primary reason for returning to Nohr, with extreme caution regarding Garon, that would at least be vaguely acceptable. Still really dumb, but at least somewhat understandable. As-is... heh.

Also, in regards to Elise in the Ice Village... no, just no. Even if you want to see her as cheerfully optimistic, she should perfectly well know what Garon is like because she was sitting right there when Garon ordered Corrin to execute POWs, and then proceeded to threaten to execute Corrin if they didn't do so - and none of the siblings act like this is remotely unusual for him. Her magically thinking that he just wanted them to chat with the Ice Tribe regarding their rebellion is utterly ridiculous, and just another piece of bad writing... or you can interpret it as her managing to go well beyond naive into outright stupidity instead, I suppose you could interpret it that way.

I also think Xander is the worst royal for an incredible number of reasons, whereas Ryoma is just boring, but we'll get to that when we get to that.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Keep Mozu, bench Jakob

it always struck me that the main motivation for joining Nohr was because you liked the siblings there more than the hoshido siblings, Garon not being the main factor in the slightest

How Rude fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 24, 2017

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

How Rude posted:

it always struck me that the main motivation for joining Nohr was because you liked the siblings there more than the hoshido siblings, Garon not being the main factor in the slightest

No, the main reason for joining Nohr was because it was advertised as giving an experience closer to older games instead of Awakening, with limited resources and EXP. I loved Awakening, but I wanted more of a challenge than it provided.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

How Rude posted:

Keep Mozu, bench Jakob

For the player, if they liked them better than sure, plus the advertised complex storyline and great maps. As for Corrin, well...

Tae posted:

:psyduck: Excuse me?

That's why I must return home right away. I must know the truth of this tragedy.

If it had just been for their goddamn Nohrian siblings, Corrin could have just not gone back to the castle while Xander questioned Garon, or something, as to what the gently caress happened in regards to exploding swords... and the multiple other murder attempts. And then the plot would have gone who knows where instead of "and now I need to help Garon murder some rebels excuse me, have my entire force agree to nonlethally bludgeon them into unconsciousness in order to win his approval!" :downs:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Thank you Tae for finishing this game so I don't have to slog through the awful story while I am Bad at Fire Emblem, I greatly appreciate it.

bench mozu

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Bench Mozu, she's had her time to shine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Corrin going back to Nohr for their siblings makes sense, the problem is the game acts like Corrin's making a complex decision with gray morality when morality isn't even entering into it. It isn't about it being 'right' to hear Garon out, it isn't about Hoshido doing things wrong too. She's just making an emotional decision that she wants to be with her siblings. And that's a totally understandable motivation for a protagonist, but one she then promptly ignores to act like Garon and Iago aren't the most obviously evil people in the world.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Given the choice between 'conquest corrin is evil and loves her evil dad using her as a pawn' and 'conquest corrin immediately fucks off with her siblings to do something about her evil dad', which do you think would make a better story than Conquest, fire emblem thread?

'Both' is an acceptable but unhelpful answer.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Given her siblings already rather characterized as well-meaning but misguided, I think the second would have been better. Since the games have different combat gimmicks, it also skirts the "I want this kind of gameplay but don't want to eat kittens" problem.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

literally anything you could possibly do with conquest would be better than the conquest we actually got. you could make it a shot-for-shot, line-for-line remake of star wars episode 3 and it'd be better.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Bench Mozu . Also, bench Silas when you get more units, better to show off new units than the same ole Birthright crew I reckon.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
Bench Mozu. Use Odin instead and turn him into a god somehow.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ungulateman posted:

Given the choice between 'conquest corrin is evil and loves her evil dad using her as a pawn' and 'conquest corrin immediately fucks off with her siblings to do something about her evil dad', which do you think would make a better story than Conquest, fire emblem thread?

'Both' is an acceptable but unhelpful answer.

Absolutely the second.
Conquest Corrine ought to be organizing an hostile takeover of the throne the second she's back in Nohr. They wrote murderdad too blatantly evil for anything but that, so a working split would be having the first half of Conquest setting up the rebellion, convincing the other sibling to get on board, getting a couple victories on Hoshido so you have some breathing space when you trigger the civil war, and other various preparations; while the second half of Conquest would be the actual Nohrian civil war, with maybe a couple repel Hoshido maps again.

First choice would be interesting, but it absolutely can't work with the Nohr siblings as they are written right now. You'd have to retool their personality a lot.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Omobono posted:

Absolutely the second.
Conquest Corrine ought to be organizing an hostile takeover of the throne the second she's back in Nohr. They wrote murderdad too blatantly evil for anything but that, so a working split would be having the first half of Conquest setting up the rebellion, convincing the other sibling to get on board, getting a couple victories on Hoshido so you have some breathing space when you trigger the civil war, and other various preparations; while the second half of Conquest would be the actual Nohrian civil war, with maybe a couple repel Hoshido maps again.

First choice would be interesting, but it absolutely can't work with the Nohr siblings as they are written right now. You'd have to retool their personality a lot.

This is kinda what they advertised, as the Conquest route is supposedly about changing the evil empire from within. I can't say more because of spoilers, but this is explicitly not what she does and it takes her way too drat long to figure out King Immabadguy is actually evil. It's 30 kinds of stupid.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

I also think Xander is the worst royal for an incredible number of reasons, whereas Ryoma is just boring, but we'll get to that when we get to that.

On my Conquest suffering run, I got to one part in the story that plunged my opinion of Xander right into the pits. And I wouldn't even despise him that much, if the story actually acknowledged it. I'll explain much more in detail when we get to the part.

The big issue with Conquest, is how they pigeonholed the idea of you having to fight the nation you don't pick. They're stuck in a situation where Hoshido has no reason to invade, and Corrin invading him would make him flat out evil. It can work if Hoshido turns out to have a darker, megalomanical side. Which would require massive rewrites for it to work.

Garon is, in my eyes, the worst villain in the series. And the big reason why, is that no other villain truly damaged their plots as much as him. He is flat out toxic to this game's plot, just because of how big an influence he is in it, and how bad his cartoonish evil gets.

And if you're wondering about the later reveals about him, I honestly think that makes the situation even worse

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

literally anything you could possibly do with conquest would be better than the conquest we actually got. you could make it a shot-for-shot, line-for-line remake of star wars episode 3 and it'd be better.

star wars episode 3 is exactly the kind of hamfisted fantastical melodrama fire emblem aspires to be, so this isn't exactly the ice burn it appears at first

although a fire emblem star wars crossover would be cool [sees path of radiance] aw, gently caress

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I think it'd work a million times better during The Big Choice is if you choose Nohr, Corrin is initially hesitant and says something to the effect of "I...don't know if I can make a choice like that! These people were my family for X years!" Then have Takumi (because he's the worst character) take a potshot at Corrin and have him say "Yeah well gently caress YOU!" It forces Corrin's hand and gives you some kind of reason to dislike Hoshido. Then, after the fight with the Hoshidans have Corrin go, "Well, I guess it's worth seeing if Dad actually wanted me dead."

Not perfect, but at least it removes the horrible stupid "Even the writers didn't bother justifying this poo poo" excuse you actually get.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The majority voted for Mozu to sit out on Conquest, which is fair because we already know her deal by now.

Let's begin.

"There's a young girl in there! We've got to take her into custody!" Blah blah blah. Children barely out of the womb out to capture a grown woman. Pathetic. It makes me sick.
This is why I usually choose to remain hidden from the ignorant masses. *sigh*

Well, that's a new recruit I guess.

Is it my destiny to forever be tossed aside, a stranger to all lands? Maybe the Nohrians will accept me. Or maybe this is where I die...
Well, it is out of my control. If only I were a Hoshidan by birth. I knew if and when the war began, I would be among the first casualties. At least in the end...
Hm?

Is that... a Dragon Vein I sense? Ah, I do recall hearing that this fort was built from the remains of a dark dragon. Perhaps it can be used to attack those within the fort...

So Azura is oddly enough already controllable, but it's pretty much death if she tries to venture out on her own. The one Samurai roams in a pattern that never attacks her if she just stays put.

A big reason why Conquest is so much harder is that all the cool, nifty tools I used in Birthright are now being used against me. Seal Defense is a huge problem especially, because Effie is my best physical tank who just becomes a slow sack of health after one Seal Defense.

Odin starting off strong with some speed.

The fact that Arthur is not getting 100% despite having a Bronze Axe with weapon advantage is disturbing. And it just got worse because he hit level 10 and learned Gamble, tanking his hit rate further.

Odin finishes off the entrance guards before the team moves on further into the fortress. The pair-up Samurai are ruthless, having 19 speed with Vantage and Duelist's Blow.

Getting by with some shaky hit rates here.

Niles chips in his part, which gets him to level 10 and +1 movement.

The pair-up group is wiped out, so let's take a sneak peak at the boss of this map.

By himself, he's not tough but he's on a boss tile that gives 30 avoid, +3 defense, and heals 20% HP every turn. A lot of people use Niles's capture ability to get this guy. What's not to like? Great bases, great class, and comes with Rally Defense extremely early in the game.

The two Archers next to him are annoying, since they get the +4 defense and they have Underdog.

Odin will take care of those two quite easily since he deals the most ranged damage without being doubled, and Elise will keep him relatively tanky for this job.

Random strength, but at least he's gaining resistance? At least he picked up Malefic Aura so his damage gets a boost.

Chokepoint city time. I'm stacking Elise and Jakob's damage reduction abilities as much as possible, so Effie can tank the Hoshidans despite still feeling the debuffs.

Hey, she FINALLY gained speed...except at this rate it might as well be an empty stat. Actually, the bad news is that she's not gaining as much defense as she needs which makes her a worse Silas. Mostly because Elbow Room is such a stupid ability.

Clearing out the path, cause more will come to make this busy.

Enemy ranges are a fickle thing, because that Archer can't actually hit Elise because the Spear Fighter in front hits first.

Arthur nets 3k off that kill, Silas gets a good level off chip damage.

Corrin will break a wall in this small path to reach that green character.

The last of the middle enemies get wiped out as Corrine recruits the quirky dark mage.

It's dangerous out here, young lady. Come on over to our side, and we'll protect you. Your family must be worried sick.
I am no "young lady", and I neither desire nor require your paltry protection.
R-really? Are you sure?
Are you as deaf as you are dumb, girl? Begone before I curse you into oblivion.
Girl?! You're one to talk! You look about the same age as my little sister!
Appearances can be deceiving, girl. I'm afraid my situation is beyond your ability to comprehend. A

Is that really too much to ask?
Live in solitude? Does that mean... you're all alone? Don't you have a family?
My family left a very long time ago. They were... frightened of me and my abilities. They thought I was strange... Maybe I am. Who needs a family, anyway?
I-I'm not sure why I told you all that... your eyes are very trustworthy and calming. So yes, intrusive stranger. I am all alone and shall remain so for all my days.
No, I can't accept that. Why don't you join my team? We'll be your family from now on.
What are you saying?! You know nothing about me or my dark past.
That's true, but that doesn't matter. Only the present and the future.

You need us. Trust me, I know what it's like to feel lost and alone. That's no way to live. If my friends and family hadn't come to my aid, I wouldn't be alive right now. Everyone needs someone to lean on, stranger. Please join us.
I really shouldn't leave such a helpless little lady alone, anyway, haha.
I already told you I'm much older then I appear! Insolent fool. Or perhaps that was... what was it called... a "humorous joke" of some sort? Hmmm...
Maybe you have a point. I suppose it would be advantageous to join you. For now. It has been a long while since I had any sort of companionship. It might be... nice.
Well, fine. Since you insist, I shall join your ranks. Use my powers as you see fit.

I kinda miss the overly blunt characters of Birthright sometimes.

Also I went at it backwards, but you get additional dialog if you recruit her from the south without breaking the wall.

Oh, since we're on the same side now, I should let you in on a little secret. See that wall over there? It has a weak spot. It should break if you attack it. That knowledge should help us prevail over the Hoshidan Army.

PSkill: Countercurse-When enemy triggers the battle and inflicts magical damage, the enemy receives half the same damage

Uh...boy, if you thought Odin sucked then Nyx might make you pull your hair out. That Skill assumes you're using Heartseeker a lot which is a horrible idea because she's a paper tissue. At least she comes with a free Fimbulvetr.

Hey, Azura's finally back and dancing again. Also notice that the Samurai didn't attack Effie at all. That's because Conquest AI will usually not attack enemies they literally can't damage, which makes powerful tanks actually kinda suck at baiting and weakening enemy reinforcements.

Silas finishes off the Samurai and Niles opens up a Brass Naginata. The big decision is to whether keep it for Silas or forge it for a super accurate lance. drat you Hoshidans for giving stat buffs to regular weapons.

Enemy reinforcements show up after you pass a certain point in the map. Probably Niles.

The Archers were an easy kill. Effie sets up shop at the chokepoint with Elise behind as usual.

Slowly but surely, Arthur is getting better at this fighting thing.

A Dual Naginata already?? What the hell.

This Dragon Vein that Azura hinted at is terrible. The risk to get it there isn't worth it, especially since it affects all units.

Niles opens up the second chest, which had a Rescue Staff.

Some healing before fighting the boss. Jakob is turning out surprising well in gaining magic. The spirit of Felicia is strong in him.

Would it surprise you to tell you that Odin's probably my best guy against him? Partly because of magic, partly because he's at a range where Elise can safely use her damage reduction skills.

A lot of turns chipping away and Corrine finishes him off.

And I got a free Heart Seal, which is good because I'm broke.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Nyx's portrait has never really looked particularly young to me, to be honest. Petite, sure, but not on the same level of "technically an adult" as Elise by any means.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Tae posted:

So Azura is oddly enough already controllable, but it's pretty much death if she tries to venture out on her own. The one Samurai roams in a pattern that never attacks her if she just stays put.

Fun Fact: that Samurai is so committed to his pattern that as long as Azura is out of his range, he won't even home in on her once he sees her. And the way the map is laid out there are safe zones where Azura can hide in as the unit makes his patrol. You also don't need to worry about Azura being in his line of sight; he sees as far as he moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Fun Fact: that Samurai is so committed to his pattern that as long as Azura is out of his range, he won't even home in on her once he sees her. And the way the map is laid out there are safe zones where Azura can hide in as the unit makes his patrol. You also don't need to worry about Azura being in his line of sight; he sees as far as he moves.

Yep. It's how you're supposed to use the dragon vein, I'm pretty sure. Stealth her up to it and reduce the enemy forces before making your proper attack.

Not essential, obviously, but it can be useful.

• Locked thread