Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

condolences grandpa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
more like le poo poo

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
not even the naruto memes could save melenchon?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MizPiz posted:

So France is basically doing their own "Trump v Clinton but with the genders swapped" experiment, right?

Macron is probably left of Clinton and Le Pen is substantially right of Trump, but it's close.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Macron is probably left of Clinton and Le Pen is substantially right of Trump, but it's close.

It's sort of tough to decide what Trump believes.

He went from bragging about how he wouldn't get involved in Syria to bombing it on a whim.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

etalian posted:

It's sort of tough to decide what Trump believes.

He went from bragging about how he wouldn't get involved in Syria to bombing it on a whim.

The problem is that Trump is genuinely quite stupid and ignorant, if not outright mentally ill, so it's hard to say if he even knows enough to form baseline positions on core issues.

He's definitely conservative, though.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

deadgoon posted:

what does it mean, to queer racism

by Ernst Rohm

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Bip Roberts posted:

The polls don't seem to agree so I guess that's based on nothing.

Im Bill Mitchell

gently caress you

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

not even the naruto memes could save melenchon?

Melenchon had a good election day and came within 2% of Le Pen, just a bit more consolidation on the left (lol) and he would have been through.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This is probably a better place to ask than The Suck Zone: I just started paying attention, and was wondering what people thought about Obama's endorsement

Would Le Pen have won if Barry had kept his mouth shut, and would Melenchon have had a shot if Obama backed him instead?

Bulbo
Nov 4, 2012

loquacius posted:

This is probably a better place to ask than The Suck Zone: I just started paying attention, and was wondering what people thought about Obama's endorsement

Would Le Pen have won if Barry had kept his mouth shut, and would Melenchon have had a shot if Obama backed him instead?

No one gave a poo poo. Also, lol at Obama endorsing a communist.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
he honestly sounds like the kind of guy who would've been insulted by such an endorsement anyway

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

FizFashizzle posted:

TO THE BARRICADES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97slLgT48dM

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bulbo posted:

Also, lol at Obama endorsing a communist.

Who explicitly hates Americans. Gee, it's too bad he didn't get in. drat Obama for his ~centrism~!

e: vvv not intended that way.

Tacky-Ass Rococco has issued a correction as of 03:17 on Apr 24, 2017

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was just asking how much of a factor it was, chill your pill duder

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
So the sort of final tally, at 97% of the votes counted is

Ministere de l'Interieur posted:

M. Emmanuel MACRON 8 528 585 18,19 23,86
Mme Marine LE PEN 7 658 990 16,33 21,43
M. François FILLON 7 126 632 15,20 19,94
M. Jean-Luc MÉLENCHON 7 011 856 14,95 19,62

I gotta say, as much as I hope this shuts up the "But Trump" objection to polling, I know this is a vain hope. Those were some incredibly close margins.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nC5TBv3sfU

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
i'm still surprised melenchon managed to get so close to the runoff, was this his best showing ever?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
It's almost twice his 2012 score (and his equivalent in 07 was Besancenot)

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So on a level of poutine to escargot, how chwa-chwa is france?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyMNIFZTQkg

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

whomupclicklike posted:

Wait if Le Pen wins will I still be able to watch France 24 online or is she going to take it away

english will be banned, globalist scum

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
here are the results with 97% of the votes in

résultats au 1er tour

Liste des candidats Voix % Exprimés
M. Emmanuel MACRON 8 528 585 23,86

Mme Marine LE PEN 7 658 990 21,43

M. François FILLON 7 126 632 19,94

M. Jean-Luc MÉLENCHON 7 011 856 19,62

M. Benoît HAMON 2 268 838 6,35

M. Nicolas DUPONT-AIGNAN 1 689 686 4,73

M. Jean LASSALLE 433 996 1,21

M. Philippe POUTOU 392 454 1,10

M. François ASSELINEAU 329 951 0,92

Mme Nathalie ARTHAUD 231 660 0,65

M. Jacques CHEMINADE 65 076 0,18

So Macron first, followed by Le Pen and Fillon/Mélenchon tied for third

Lassalle (funny shepherd accent man) won the joke vote, followed by the funny worker man, boring frexit man, unfunny troskyist woman and conspiracy theorist martian man.

Kurtofan has issued a correction as of 05:44 on Apr 24, 2017

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Kurtofan posted:

english will be banned, globalist scum

what if someone is super pasty though and speaks it

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Results of who came first for each Departments (Yellow: Macron, Black : Le Pen, Blue : Fillon, Red : Mélenchon)

the le pen departments kinda make up the shape of a skull if you squint a bit

Kurtofan has issued a correction as of 06:02 on Apr 24, 2017

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Kurtofan posted:

Results of who came first for each Departments (Yellow: Macron, Black : Le Pen, Blue : Fillon, Red : Mélenchon)

the le pen departments kinda make up the shape of a skull if you squint a bit

What's the story behind the east-west divide? Different industries, cultural?

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013
Well, every single other political party gave support to Macron and urged to vote against Le Pen, so i really hope the people stop voting to shoot themselves in the foot. Fanaticism and extremism is a horrible way to counter fanaticism and extremism.

Le Pen has literal nazis in her inner circle:

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/13/world/europe/marine-le-pen-national-front-party.html

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Tingfinder posted:

Well, every single other political party gave support to Macron and urged to vote against Le Pen, so i really hope the people stop voting to shoot themselves in the foot. Fanaticism and extremism is a horrible way to counter fanaticism and extremism.

Le Pen has literal nazis in her inner circle:

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/13/world/europe/marine-le-pen-national-front-party.html

Yeah, the nytimes is kind of slow on the uptake there. It's already been known for years that she changed literally nothing besides the packaging.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
all u gen-x fucks who were like "wah wah nothing is like, really real, believing in things is lame, just get rich on the internet and gently caress everyone else" are the reason we have fascism again thx guys

too bad u didnt have faith in communism

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You don't need faith in something that's scientifically true.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
if communism inevitable then why france electing fascists

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

mike12345 posted:

Rightful German Territory vs. Independent Catalonia.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mike12345 posted:

the chillest parts of france (Brittany and Aquitaine) are in the West, the illest parts are in the East (Alsace always had a strong conservative streak, the only region where church isn't separated from state), the North (lots of dead industries and closed off coal mines up there) and the South-East (the FN's traditional heartland, a lot of French repatriates from Algeria live there)

Corsica because it's pretty conservative and the only thing they hate more than the French is Muslims

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

here are the results with 97% of the votes in

résultats au 1er tour

Liste des candidats Voix % Exprimés
M. Emmanuel MACRON 8 528 585 23,86

Mme Marine LE PEN 7 658 990 21,43

M. François FILLON 7 126 632 19,94

M. Jean-Luc MÉLENCHON 7 011 856 19,62

M. Benoît HAMON 2 268 838 6,35

M. Nicolas DUPONT-AIGNAN 1 689 686 4,73

M. Jean LASSALLE 433 996 1,21

M. Philippe POUTOU 392 454 1,10

M. François ASSELINEAU 329 951 0,92

Mme Nathalie ARTHAUD 231 660 0,65

M. Jacques CHEMINADE 65 076 0,18

So Macron first, followed by Le Pen and Fillon/Mélenchon tied for third

Lassalle (funny shepherd accent man) won the joke vote, followed by the funny worker man, boring frexit man, unfunny troskyist woman and conspiracy theorist martian man.

So if I'm reading this right, if the votes for the fringe left candidates had gone to Mélenchon instead he'd have had a shot at the second round?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

1. :lol: LOve the Washington Establishment. Hell I think Putin is a authoritarian poo poo, but I know that France is kind of mad about America causing all the unrest in the middle east and causing al the refugees.

2. Love the libs getting all and that the leftist is asking his followers to hold a vote on his endorsement.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pluskut Tukker posted:

So if I'm reading this right, if the votes for the fringe left candidates had gone to Mélenchon instead he'd have had a shot at the second round?

Hmm imagine if the left could agree.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
the National Front are literal scum

vichy era collaborationist traitor pieces of poo poo that i don't particularly understand why they are even a legal party

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

You don't need faith in something that's scientifically true.

it seems to me that you are evading the fact that we are all subjects bound to/by a Law that does not actually exist, by placing your faith in the idea that humans are rational actors who will work it all out eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

deadgoon posted:

if communism inevitable then why france electing fascists

Most left is busy being milquetoast centrists.

The very quick rise of Mélenchon is indication that the division is very much "populists vs centrists", with the main issue being a strong EU resentment that established parties are unable to appeal to.

• Locked thread