Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Mr Crustacean posted:

Bear in mind that Rohan's Rafales can carry 2 Scalp cruise missiles each, that's gonna be real helpful in taking out that sa-20. 4 cruise missiles, 4 Harms plus 16 SDB is an awfully lot of standoff munitions that they have to expend against.

We don't have any control over what Rohan does at the moment, so nix those SCALPs. The SDB has a range of only 60nm compared to the SA-20 missile's range of 80nm, so let's not add those to it either. All we really have are the KEPD 350s from the Tornadoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

Loel posted:

Can we put an Aegis system on a B52

Yes but it can fire the missiles because it doesn't have the right datalink to the missiles.

Tythas posted:

It can do sweet bombing runs like this

The B-1B Block D and onward can carry 30 clusterbombs. This gives a killing field of 200 by 900 meters. :getin:

Also when dicking around in C:MANO I found that a prowler can effectively fly to eyeball range of a S-300 MPU-2.
This is also the reason that next procurrement we need more EWAR planes like these.

Edit: We should try and heal Rohan, this way maybe we can turn something bad into something good?

Stago Lego fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 24, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think I found the secret origin of our ground element.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Please, cocaine is for swanky types who actually finished basic training.

Only the finest cheapest crystal meth for our boys!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm glad we're giving the Gargoyle the respect it deserves. Saturation is my preferred way to kill them anyways :getin: it's one of those expensive systems where we will still come out ahead financially after Winchester even!

Never used the Taurus though, but I've used the British Stormshadow and it's pretty loving effective.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 24, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just got caught up with the thread:

* I support giving Rohan another chance

* I think the Amazon voice thing works well, certainly it'd be a perfectly functional backstop in case someone from Fiverr is late, but I think it would also work as a full replacement

* Bacarruda's briefing was fantastic

* Ouch on losing those Tornadoes

* Gripens rule the sky though!

* I appreciate Pshawn's prosecution/patrol area tutorial

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Quinntan posted:

We don't have any control over what Rohan does at the moment, so nix those SCALPs. The SDB has a range of only 60nm compared to the SA-20 missile's range of 80nm, so let's not add those to it either. All we really have are the KEPD 350s from the Tornadoes.

Ideally we can fix up Rohan and we get her Rafales on board for this. We can certainly try to involve her in the plan, and fingers crossed she's co operative. Those scalps would be a real help.

We are going to have to operate within the hostile threat ring in order to kill that SA-20. We simply don't have enough standoff cruise missiles to saturate it and it's accompanying SHORADs from the 2 tornados.

We can certainly shorten the range of that Sa-20 with our Prowler, if we can jam/shorten the engagement range to less than 60nm then we have a pretty good chance of knocking it out if we chuck all our standoff munitions at it, plus SDBs. If we can't then our Gripens are going to have to risk being engaged to drop their SDBs

Numbers wise:

+/- 4 Scalps from Rohan's 2 Rafales,
4 Harms from 2 tornados
24 SDBs from 3 Gripens
+OECM from the prowler

Should be more than enough to confidently saturate and kill it. We just need to find it first and not have it pop up directly underneath us. Which is what the reaper and probing sperwers are for.
Plus protecting that DEAD package from any aerial threats. :v:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Guess who went and toured the missile site? The footage we could see was pretty much Delvanios smiling and pointing at a single missile tube. No Slim Pickens moment of him riding it. Our OSINT dude is trying to unpixelate the footage for more details. Mostly it's smiling Bulgarians and happy Delvanios.

I contacted Rohan but all I got was a text from Silent Bob about meditation and the sanctity of inner reflection. Whatever the gently caress that means.

Von Hoff introduced me to a very interesting character last night. He visited the air base, shook hands with the ground crews, and remarked how nice it would have been to have a Frogfoot during something called Dingo. Why a Frogfoot is needed to kill an Australian dog is beyond me. The gentleman he had with is a Priest, Obilio Da Cruz. It seems the Roman Catholic's in Angola have stayed out of the conflict. Well, this guy isn't doing that any longer. I don't think it's an official break with Rome, but he's going to get us some more ground Intel. He's a fiery character, has a history of being a child soldier in the Congo. Looks to be one tough son of a bitch.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
I just realized, with this being a few years into the future what is the possibility of running into F-35s at some point? :v:

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Thefluffy posted:

I just realized, with this being a few years into the future what is the possibility of running into F-35s at some point? :v:

all the F-35's broke down from engine fires on the runway

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Yooper I don't personally mind longer episodes but then I have longer bus journeys than most

I also don't mind you going a little interpretive with plans, although I agree we should plan in more detail with the list of CMANO functions we got given by I think Pssshaw or whoever, those were really helpful

As for the person running test strikes against S-20 and the like (sorry I can't remember who, I deliberately skip over those posts) I feel that's a little too meta and we have an in-role character who can tell us that stuff (although I want to stress this isn't meant as a personal dig at you, I know you're doing it to aid planning with the best of intentions)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

We chose Rohan as a loose cannon, fully corpus mentus (I mean, she isn't, but our choice was), and I think we rolled unlucky but sometimes you need a loose cannon to get poo poo done, just ask '80s Hollywood. She still has my backing. We aren't exactly innocent ourselves.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yooper posted:

Looks to be one tough son of a bitch.[/b]

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Dingo

Oh boy we've got a Rhodie.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

By the way, if anyone has any free pictures of gripens or tornadoes or any of our aircraft in flight, lemme know that resource, because I'm working on some fluff (PM is best)

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Or worse, a South Efrican

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Are we the baddies, he says, with some concern.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yooper posted:

Guess who went and toured the missile site? The footage we could see was pretty much Delvanios smiling and pointing at a single missile tube. No Slim Pickens moment of him riding it. Our OSINT dude is trying to unpixelate the footage for more details. Mostly it's smiling Bulgarians and happy Delvanios.

I contacted Rohan but all I got was a text from Silent Bob about meditation and the sanctity of inner reflection. Whatever the gently caress that means.

Von Hoff introduced me to a very interesting character last night. He visited the air base, shook hands with the ground crews, and remarked how nice it would have been to have a Frogfoot during something called Dingo. Why a Frogfoot is needed to kill an Australian dog is beyond me. The gentleman he had with is a Priest, Obilio Da Cruz. It seems the Roman Catholic's in Angola have stayed out of the conflict. Well, this guy isn't doing that any longer. I don't think it's an official break with Rome, but he's going to get us some more ground Intel. He's a fiery character, has a history of being a child soldier in the Congo. Looks to be one tough son of a bitch.

If Rohan wants to take more time to centre herself, that's fine with me.

Also sounds like Angola is about to get introduced to Liberation Theology.
I'm sure there's been a miscommunication somewhere, because that kind of makes no sense compared to everything else we know about him. He was running humanitarian aid into the country, not dropping bombs.

Edit: Like he said 'The Rhodesians would probably of liked to have some Frogfoots for Dingo' and now we're all thinking he's a Secret South African or something.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 24, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Yeah I was surprised, but that crack is fairly unambiguous

It's possible he did something stupid in his youth that he regrets - that was 50 years ago at this point, dude must be knocking on 75

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

We're mercenaries. Of course we're the baddies.

Yooper, did we "accidentally" give a theocracy nuclear weapons when we finished in Tibet or did the Chinese get their nukes out?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

If Rohan wants to take more time to centre herself, that's fine with me.

Also sounds like Angola is about to get introduced to Liberation Theology.

I'm sure there's been a miscommunication somewhere, because that kind of makes no sense compared to everything else we know about him. He was running humanitarian aid into the country, not dropping bombs.

Edit: Like he said 'The Rhodesians would probably of liked to have some Frogfoots for Dingo' and now we're all thinking he's a Secret South African or something.

Who said he wasn't doing both? We see plenty of ops today where on Thursday soldiers deliver food, medicine and education then on Saturday call in drone strikes. If anything it makes Von Hoff a more interesting, flawed, but ultimately good character. This is Africa, everything is complicated.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Quinntan posted:

We're mercenaries. Of course we're the baddies.

Yooper, did we "accidentally" give a theocracy nuclear weapons when we finished in Tibet or did the Chinese get their nukes out?

They were out long before the conflict began.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quinntan posted:

It could be SS-21s, Bulgarian army had (still has?) that IRL. No nukes, of course.

Fits "big rocket" description.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
NVM

As for Rohan of course she can have an extra chance though really she did nothing wrong so it is more like just continued employment. Tell her not to worry.

As for that nasty S-300 it looks like saturating the location with HARMs is the only way and if that fails we need to stay the hell away from it. Now if we had some decently equipped ground troops we could send them in to neutralise it but we choose the highly motivated but poorly equipped team didn't we.

Does anyone know if they can pulse the S-300's radar or will it need to be on constantly to be effective?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Mercenaries. Also, posting on page 88.

May as well paint giant skulls on all the planes.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Never look under the tarps on the aid trucks. We are the good guys. Assuredly.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Missed the action over the weekend. Bah. This is what I get for going and relaxing on my day off :(

Anyway, I vote give Rohan another chance since she realizes the screwed up, but make it extremely clear to her that if she screws up again she's out, no questions asked.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yooper posted:

Who said he wasn't doing both? We see plenty of ops today where on Thursday soldiers deliver food, medicine and education then on Saturday call in drone strikes. If anything it makes Von Hoff a more interesting, flawed, but ultimately good character. This is Africa, everything is complicated.

Fair enough, fair enough. It's just a bit of a headscratcher going from what we knew about him. But hey, he's still the best choice in Angola out of the choices, and that's what really matters.

How is the Angolan provisional government looking? I mean, it makes sense the Count is our liason, since he's paying us, but I'm curious to find out more about the people we're fighting for in general.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

simplefish posted:

Yooper I don't personally mind longer episodes but then I have longer bus journeys than most

I also don't mind you going a little interpretive with plans, although I agree we should plan in more detail with the list of CMANO functions we got given by I think Pssshaw or whoever, those were really helpful

As for the person running test strikes against S-20 and the like (sorry I can't remember who, I deliberately skip over those posts) I feel that's a little too meta and we have an in-role character who can tell us that stuff (although I want to stress this isn't meant as a personal dig at you, I know you're doing it to aid planning with the best of intentions)

Good post, I think the full detail game engine breakdown posts are a step too far, but summarising them would still be fine imo especially if it's done in character

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Fair enough, fair enough. It's just a bit of a headscratcher going from what we knew about him. But hey, he's still the best choice in Angola out of the choices, and that's what really matters.

How is the Angolan provisional government looking? I mean, it makes sense the Count is our liason, since he's paying us, but I'm curious to find out more about the people we're fighting for in general.

The Angolan Provisional Government, aka Von Hoff's Dudes, are a handful of European, American, and Russian educated Angolans who left the country when Delvanios came to power. It's a pretty decent mix of tech types, engineers, doctors, and finance guys. It'll likely be a coalition type western democracy. As of right now Von Hoff is the strong personality and he doesn't have an interest in ruling, just helping the Angolans to rule themselves. Hopefully no one person comes to the forefront and becomes the crazy dictator V2.0

sebmojo posted:

Good post, I think the full detail game engine breakdown posts are a step too far, but summarising them would still be fine imo especially if it's done in character

Agreed. Psawhn's post on patrol areas was awesome. The game has lots of little nuances that if you guys know it are very helpful. Such as patrol area and prosecution. In the future I'll be defining these even if you guys don't mention it. I can read between the lines and see you want a patrol on the border for example and not to have our Gripens chase a Cessna into the Congo. To try and sharpen things up I'll be adding lots of contingency missions, for example a CAP for exfiltrating bombers to help others get out and the such.

A full statistical analysis of bomb percentage interception rates in relation to strike packages takes things a bit far. Please, use CMANO to help plan the scenarios if you have it. Doing an In-Character briefing about what you discovered is cool but I don't want to game the system and exploit the mechanics. All it ends up doing is making me script more to make the AI more clever, to account for our own cleverness. It becomes a circle of pain that increases mission creation time.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Thefluffy posted:

Based on the number of aircraft built, it's more likely than us running into Rafales, J-20s, or Gripens. If we're lucky, we'll be able to buy some before we have to fight them.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I feel like "this battery has the ability to shoot down our HARMs" = good, "this battery will shoot down HARMs with an 80% success rate" = bad, is this the sort of thing we should be going for?

Also do the SA-20s self-guide to the target because this might be important.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Vando posted:

I feel like "this battery has the ability to shoot down our HARMs" = good, "this battery will shoot down HARMs with an 80% success rate" = bad, is this the sort of thing we should be going for?

Correct. You can even say "High Probability to shoot our HARM's down." Just don't plot it out and attach an R file of your calculations. Think of it like an average military officer would. He'll just know it's dangerous, more dangerous than the previous generations SAM's. But probably not to the level a DoD Analyst would know (or speculate he knows).

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

Vando posted:

From my understanding is that it is basically a weapon with SARH guidance. The missile needs his 30N6E guidance radar to achieve a kill.

Stago Lego fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 24, 2017

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1h11xZ86MY

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Olothreutes posted:

The first day, I think. I made the mistake of trying to park on base, along with like 80% of the city. Whoops. I did manage to avoid getting burned. Are you local?

They had a predator drone too but they had packed it away before I could take photos.

I'm probably going to find a reason to drop by the nuke museum, I work on base so it's right there.

Yeah, I'm local. If you saw a long haired guy in a martini covered Hawaiian shirt, you saw me. I was actually over at the Reaper for the B-2.
The airshow itself was disappointing comparing it to Elmendorf's air shows with about 20+ statics of all sorts and T-Birds and Blue Angels alternating the years they come up, but I don't think they've gotten the B-2 treatment. But JBER is a full up joint base while Kirtland seems to be more of a research base(?) so its understandable.

As for the LP, we saddled our horse to Rohan's and if she decides to hit a Lithium mine or two (and nearby maybe war crime-waiting-to-happen) that's what happens.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah I think the latest S-400 munitions are the only active homing ones of the series so far. And they're appropriately expensive to boot, and only active in the terminal phase. Those are the greatest threat SAM wise I can think of, aside from Aegis Ashore maybe.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
This LP is really good, I adore the fact that Yooper hires Voice Actors. Sign me up as a reserve pilot, preferably for some sort of EWAR bird, callsign Lamora.

Or Captain Groggy, if we actually end up getting a Frigate or other military naval vessel. Which is cool and also a bad idea to spend money on because China actually does have a decent amount of Submarines that our PMC wouldn't be able to deal with and a strong desire to gently caress us.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Groggy nard posted:

This LP is really good, I adore the fact that Yooper hires Voice Actors. Sign me up as a reserve pilot, preferably for some sort of EWAR bird, callsign Lamora.

Or Captain Groggy, if we actually end up getting a Frigate or other military naval vessel. Which is cool and also a bad idea to spend money on because China actually does have a decent amount of Submarines that our PMC wouldn't be able to deal with and a strong desire to gently caress us.

Ah, we haven't bought out P-8 Poseidon yet. Or better yet, a B-52 with a full load of 45 mines.... :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Bacarruda posted:

Ah, we haven't bought out P-8 Poseidon yet. Or better yet, a B-52 with a full load of 45 mines.... :getin:

If we can get some good ASW patrols then yeah, I'm sure we could take down the probably 80's vintage diesel boats they can afford to send after us.

Or if we do get a Helo carrier with good quality Sonar dongle equipped Helos and these babies, which Poseidons do have https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_54_MAKO_Lightweight_Torpedo :getin:

I am assuming that China doesn't send an SSN to gently caress us though. Which they might!

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 24, 2017