Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Phyresis posted:

i'm gay for the God-Emperor of Mankind, i want to feel His Blessing all over my face

Same, but unironicly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
This thread always degenerates into poo poo around new ed

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Please Phyresis! I can read beyond the bolsterous posting! I can see the pain behind your actions! Open up to me, I am your brother in this chapter of the Adeptus Unconditional-Positive-Regardus! I am open and ready to accept you, all you must do is become vulnerable for me!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I'm guard. (Imperial)

Hi Guard (Imperial), I'm Dad (Emperor).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

Because we're all retarded retard retards.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

and gay

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

don't forget autistic

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Lord Twisted posted:

This is my first rodeo. I am confused how a thread constantly complaining about bad rules and balance suddenly devolves to a small but vocal group of people wailing and hand wringing at the announcement of a new edition. People are also acting like 7th is the only edition to have ever existed and the community hasn't been through this repeatedly. I am confused.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Phyresis posted:

don't forget autistic

never not autistic

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Phyresis posted:

don't forget autistic

WOW WOW we do NOT use the a-word in this safe space mister! Now you reign yourself in or you won't get a banana purity sticker!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Phyresis posted:

don't forget autistic

As the parent of an autistic kid, we clearly aren't all autistic. My autistic kid is smart enough to know not to use disabilities as insults, for instance.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Phyresis measured the lengths of the bases and poo poo on that starter box truescale marine pic you all liked to guage the actual size so yes he's autistic which means he has reclaimed that word, so cool it hams.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

lol if im not on the spectrum i dont even know

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Seriously though, it's lovely to use retarded and autistic as insults.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
I like what I am seeing so far from the announced changes to 40k

But I'm an AOS player so

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

mango sentinel posted:

This, like seriously. You're not 15 year olds on 4chan.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Pawl posted:

I like what I am seeing so far from the announced changes to 40k

But I'm an AOS player so

One unintended benefit is that this might take enough heat that the forums could have an AoS thread without it getting shitted in to oblivion.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hamshot posted:

One unintended benefit is that this might take enough heat that the forums could have an AoS thread without it getting shitted in to oblivion.

The current AoS thread is okay. Every post gets shitposted at some point. This is SA, it's sort of what we do.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TKIY posted:

The current AoS thread is okay. Every post gets shitposted at some point. This is SA, it's sort of what we do.

Is it still locked because of your effort post?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

i dont know... any other way to post... anymore... *breaks down sobbing*

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Is it still locked because of your effort post?

No this new one has resisted my efforts.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TKIY posted:

No this new one has resisted my efforts.

Oh awesome. Didn't realize there was a new thread. I may not like AoS a ton, but at least it is something to do with all these fantasy models I have sitting around.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

mango sentinel posted:

It's unlovely to be sure. They are the "spastic" of modern playground discourse.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just read caught up after not reading the thread over the weekend.

Man, what a WILD RIDE the last 5 pages have been. I'm just waiting to see what the new edition is before I join the pitchfork and torch mob headed toward my local GW. After the Q&A today, i'm sure some stuff will get answered.

Anyway, on to content! I started work on my Necron Tomb, being painted up in the scheme of the Nihilakh Dynasty. This as far as I got because I also started working on my Tartaros Terminators (while I still have 18 Skitarii Vanguard waiting in line to finish, oh god).

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's unlovely to be sure. They are the "spastic" of modern playground discourse.
This has to be the weirdest word that Brits to get mad about. Like it isn't even an insult, it's a non-value adjective. Like I know it means something different over there like fanny, but it's still super weird. Like if "quickly" was a grave insult in Australia.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 24, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Stop quoting the lovely posts, I have these dorks on ignore for a reason.

HiveCommander posted:

I'd rather not be shouting FOR THE EMPEROR every time I pick up a handful of dice just to get a +1 bonus to wound.

Those silly rules were only in the initial release of AoS; nothing since has asked you to ride an imaginary horse, or get a bonus for having the most impressive beard at the table. I wouldn't expect to see any of them.

I'm excited to see 7th die. My last few games of it have been absolute slogs, and compared to how much fun I've had with AoS and 30k, it doesn't even come close. They've been bolting rules onto 3rd edition for almost 2 decades without taking much away, it's time for a fresh start. Whoever described it as a grimoire of rules wasn't wrong. I had a good time for a lot of 7th but after seeing how much faster playing and simple other games could be I'm more than happy to see it be put to pasture.

A little curious what this will mean for 30k, I feel like I read that it'd switch over in like 6 months but I hope it happens sooner rather than later. Once it turns over to 8th, I'll again implore people to cum play 30k milord:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zuul the Cat posted:

I just read caught up after not reading the thread over the weekend.

Man, what a WILD RIDE the last 5 pages have been. I'm just waiting to see what the new edition is before I join the pitchfork and torch mob headed toward my local GW. After the Q&A today, i'm sure some stuff will get answered.

Anyway, on to content! I started work on my Necron Tomb, being painted up in the scheme of the Nihilakh Dynasty. This as far as I got because I also started working on my Tartaros Terminators (while I still have 18 Skitarii Vanguard waiting in line to finish, oh god).

Great work so far! I'm digging the teal + red/orange contrast you've got going on with the necron highlights and the soil. Are you going to paint the portal in the same way?

SRM posted:

Stop quoting the lovely posts, I have these dorks on ignore for a reason.

Those silly rules were only in the initial release of AoS; nothing since has asked you to ride an imaginary horse, or get a bonus for having the most impressive beard at the table. I wouldn't expect to see any of them.

I'm excited to see 7th die. My last few games of it have been absolute slogs, and compared to how much fun I've had with AoS and 30k, it doesn't even come close. They've been bolting rules onto 3rd edition for almost 2 decades without taking much away, it's time for a fresh start. Whoever described it as a grimoire of rules wasn't wrong. I had a good time for a lot of 7th but after seeing how much faster playing and simple other games could be I'm more than happy to see it be put to pasture.

A little curious what this will mean for 30k, I feel like I read that it'd switch over in like 6 months but I hope it happens sooner rather than later. Once it turns over to 8th, I'll again implore people to cum play 30k milord:

These are all great mans, but this one is my favorite. Great job, and cool use of the new devastator kit sergeant bits.

I think 30k goons are hopeful that 30k will retain 7th edition rules for some reason but it seems almost certain that it'll switch over to 8th. I may or may not look into 30k when that happens, since I've been slowly collecting FW Word Bearers stuff for that army (the Mhara Gal and Gal Vorbak are so loving cool I wanted to use them in 40k).

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

These are all great mans, but this one is my favorite. Great job, and cool use of the new devastator kit sergeant bits.

I think 30k goons are hopeful that 30k will retain 7th edition rules for some reason but it seems almost certain that it'll switch over to 8th. I may or may not look into 30k when that happens, since I've been slowly collecting FW Word Bearers stuff for that army (the Mhara Gal and Gal Vorbak are so loving cool I wanted to use them in 40k).

Thanks man, kitbashing characters for 30k has been a lot of fun. I converted up this guy to be a chapter master recently, looking forward to getting paint on him:

I feel like the sunk costs of the Heresy rulebooks might make people more hesitant to get on the 8th ed hype train, especially if they're getting their rules from the black books and not the red ones, but I'm ready for it to change. I've enjoyed Heresy a lot, but I know the game will die if you have to convince them to buy into a more expensive game with more complicated rules.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Terrible Opinions posted:

This has to be the weirdest word that Brits to get mad about. Like it isn't even an insult, it's a non-value adjective. Like I know it means something different over there like fanny, but it's still super weird. Like if "quickly" was a grave insult in Australia.

It's not weird in the slightest, there's a clear and vile, logic to it. Spastic refers to a physical symptom of cerebral palsy, a charity was set up called The Spastics Society to help people with that condition. With the increased awareness the words "spastic" "spaz," and "spazzing out" came to be pejorative descriptors of anyone with severe physical disabilities, then anyone with mental illness, and then just a general insult. To the point that the charity had to change its name.
It's the same process that leads to the use of autistic and retard in the context above. Or that leads from the Spanish word for black to "friend of the family."

Words have power and if you're going to use them you should at least understand the implications of their use.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I think I have found the personification of how the thread feels every time Phyresis whines about poo poo.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Great work so far! I'm digging the teal + red/orange contrast you've got going on with the necron highlights and the soil. Are you going to paint the portal in the same way?

Thanks!

I'm not entirely sure how i'm going to do the portal yet. I actually picked up a Necron Lord and i'm going to place him on top of the Ziggurat facing the power crucible. The orb in his hand will match the orb in the power crucible, so i'm thinking of making the portal match the orbs (to make it look like he's powering up the entire tomb.) I like the idea of a red orb though, because it'll match the teal/red combo of the board and my basing scheme.

I need to look online to see if I can find a guide on how to paint orbs as if they're filled with swirling clouds.

jadebullet posted:

I think I have found the personification of how the thread feels every time Phyresis whines about poo poo.

As the person that painted this, I completely agree.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 24, 2017

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So in the process of magnetizing melee weapon arms for a Sergeant I managed to put in the wrong polarization side twice in both the chainsword and powersword. It wasn't after I did the same thing on the powersword that I just flipped the magnet in the arm. Something I should've done the first time around instead of trying to dig out the tiny 1mm magnet out of the chainsword arm before I snipped the hilt off to get it. :doh:
Instead I just grabbed a Space Wolf chainsword I had free. Ah the joys of painting Blood Ravens and just going all in with the Magpie joke.

It's not like I painted the Sergeants skin as a Salamander. And planning to paint another guy using the Raven Guard skin guide. :v:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Thanks man, kitbashing characters for 30k has been a lot of fun. I converted up this guy to be a chapter master recently, looking forward to getting paint on him:

I feel like the sunk costs of the Heresy rulebooks might make people more hesitant to get on the 8th ed hype train, especially if they're getting their rules from the black books and not the red ones, but I'm ready for it to change. I've enjoyed Heresy a lot, but I know the game will die if you have to convince them to buy into a more expensive game with more complicated rules.

As someone with a shelf full of 7th edition books, I can understand where they are coming from. I *love* printed materials, and I picked up most every book GW released over the last couple years related to armies I play, including the campaign books. They're all well put together and I'll probably keep them instead of getting rid of them like non-Chaos books from older editions, but it's going to be a shame for most of them to be worthless, including this bigass Imperial Armor 13 book (though it's also a very pretty book with cool art).

I suspect we'll end up adapting Planetary Onslaught to 8th edition rules for the campaign we're running.

e: Just so we're clear though, I think the FW books are overpriced and selling a dozen of them for what are basically just a bunch of space marine armies is by far the biggest racket GW has going

Cooked Auto posted:

So in the process of magnetizing melee weapon arms for a Sergeant I managed to put in the wrong polarization side twice in both the chainsword and powersword. It wasn't after I did the same thing on the powersword that I just flipped the magnet in the arm. Something I should've done the first time around instead of trying to dig out the tiny 1mm magnet out of the chainsword arm before I snipped the hilt off to get it. :doh:
Instead I just grabbed a Space Wolf chainsword I had free. Ah the joys of painting Blood Ravens and just going all in with the Magpie joke.

It's not like I painted the Sergeants skin as a Salamander. And planning to paint another guy using the Raven Guard skin guide. :v:

That's brutal. I made that same mistake doing one of the ectoplasma cannons on one of my Forgefiends and cutting the magnet back out was not pleasant. That was a pretty big bit, though--not sure I'd have risked it on something as small as a chainsword arm.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hmm, Imperial Armor books being made irrelevant might work out in my favor since I love getting them for the art and fluff.

Do they tend to drop I price when they are outdated, or stay about the same?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

That's brutal. I made that same mistake doing one of the ectoplasma cannons on one of my Forgefiends and cutting the magnet back out was not pleasant. That was a pretty big bit, though--not sure I'd have risked it on something as small as a chainsword arm.

Yeah flipping the 2mm magnet in the arm was a lot easier I should add because the hole was a bit bigger than the magnet itself so getting the tip of the exacto blade in there wasn't as impossible as with the 1mm.
Although for the future I might just use 1mm magnets on both ends because a 2x1mm feels overkill to use. Not to mention I always have a hard time making so that the magnet is in the middle and not slight off centre.

And here I wanted to keep things uniform for weapon swapping across squads. Guess not then. At least I'm going to try to keep the Bolter arm consistent for combi weapons.

jadebullet posted:

Hmm, Imperial Armor books being made irrelevant might work out in my favor since I love getting them for the art and fluff.

Do they tend to drop I price when they are outdated, or stay about the same?

Still miffed I could never complete my old Vraks collection with Vol Six before they combined those.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 24, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
GW live now on FB for the Q&A. Find them on Warhammer TV.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think 30k goons are hopeful that 30k will retain 7th edition rules for some reason but it seems almost certain that it'll switch over to 8th.
I'm mostly speaking for myself here, but I think we're fairly hopeful about 8th edition, but we're worried that FW will gently caress up the transition. Obviously, given what GW themselves said, there will be no day one FAQ translating all of the existing rules to 8th. I am expecting 30k to continue to use 7th for 6 months or so while FW works on updated red books. Luckily, they already have that system in place to allow for relatively easy updating. The black books won't be going anywhere, but I've collected them mostly for the fluff and art anyways. They are fantastic for what they are. They are definitely not gaming books though, transporting them is crazy. :v:

The main reason I'm worried about the transition to 8th is that FW never really quite got a hold on 6th and 7th. For example, they seemed to think that forcing units to attempt to sweeping advance was a disadvantage. It would have been back when the victor ran forward 2d6", but that hasn't been the case for years. I'm hoping for the best, but I know who we're dealing with here. I got into 30k because it honestly fixed a lot of my issues with 7th (formations, insane free-form list-building) and there's a lot I like about it that I don't want to see disappear, such as the focus on the FOC and rites of war. I'd welcome movement values and armor modifiers though and I'd be pretty happy to see random charges removed, cover changed, etc. We don't know what's actually changing about 8th yet so 30k goons are pretty rightfully skeptical.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zuul the Cat posted:

GW live now on FB for the Q&A. Find them on Warhammer TV.

https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's not weird in the slightest, there's a clear and vile, logic to it. Spastic refers to a physical symptom of cerebral palsy, a charity was set up called The Spastics Society to help people with that condition. With the increased awareness the words "spastic" "spaz," and "spazzing out" came to be pejorative descriptors of anyone with severe physical disabilities, then anyone with mental illness, and then just a general insult. To the point that the charity had to change its name.
It's the same process that leads to the use of autistic and retard in the context above. Or that leads from the Spanish word for black to "friend of the family."

Words have power and if you're going to use them you should at least understand the implications of their use.

The problem (at least here in the US) is that "spastic" didn't refer to a medical condition. It has two distinct regional meanings, so calling someone a "spaz" in 80's America was like calling someone "weird" or "dork" (which again, has certain regional meanings.)

Autistic, on the other hand, is an actual recognized medical term, and shouldn't be used as an insult. Of course, we're referring to people who often tell others to "get cancer" and send death threats over Internet arguments, so I don't imagine things will change any time soon.

• Locked thread