Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The only reason I got to do Portal 2 co-op is because we bought the game at the same time and went through it completely blind together. If you can find someone who has never done it it's tons of fun figuring that stuff out together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The 1.5 GB of "Documents & Data" that shows up every time I sync my phone with iTunes. I don't know where it's coming from but it's always there no matter how much I clear stuff out.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I had a friend who did similar, but it was with anime. IE, she'd be through a season then bug me nonstop till I agreed to watch an episode. By episode 2, she'd be spoiling poo poo for me, or squealing words in Japanese (cause she tooootally learned Japanese from DeathNote!) or loudly reciting the scripts as the episode played. SEE Cowslips this is Kira, with is Japanese for killer! But it also means light, like to light up the world? So everyone calls him KIRA because he's KILLING people!

It's like some people can't let you enjoy something at your own place. I got a friend hooked on Game of Thrones, and she was on season 1 when I was on 5, but I didn't spoil poo poo for her!

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:
I swear to loving god, people who hover around the bathroom waiting for you to get out of it or start pacing around the bathroom making it clearly obvious that they're waiting to get in the bathroom, ESPECIALLY WHEN there's a free bathroom elsewhere.

This poo poo makes me so mad its not even funny, especially when I'm trying to take a colossal loving dump and then somebody is walking around pacing for you to get out of the bathroom, like gently caress off?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Barnes And Body Works posted:

I swear to loving god, people who hover around the bathroom waiting for you to get out of it or start pacing around the bathroom making it clearly obvious that they're waiting to get in the bathroom, ESPECIALLY WHEN there's a free bathroom elsewhere.

This poo poo makes me so mad its not even funny, especially when I'm trying to take a colossal loving dump and then somebody is walking around pacing for you to get out of the bathroom, like gently caress off?

Also people who try to open the clearly locked door. Our bathroom doors at work even have the red/occupied thing when it's locked, but there's always a guy once in a while that just tries to barge in. And if they're an even bigger dick they ask "anyone in there?". Yes dumbass it's a single-occupancy stall that locks from the inside. I didn't flush myself down the toilet.

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Also people who try to open the clearly locked door. Our bathroom doors at work even have the red/occupied thing when it's locked, but there's always a guy once in a while that just tries to barge in. And if they're an even bigger dick they ask "anyone in there?". Yes dumbass it's a single-occupancy stall that locks from the inside. I didn't flush myself down the toilet.

GOD, yes this loving infuriates me as well, or when people knock on the door and I'm like... " yes...? I'm trying to loving poo poo. " I'm not going to prioritize someone else over me with half a fuckin dookie hanging out of my rear end jesus christ.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I had a friend who did similar, but it was with anime. IE, she'd be through a season then bug me nonstop till I agreed to watch an episode. By episode 2, she'd be spoiling poo poo for me, or squealing words in Japanese (cause she tooootally learned Japanese from DeathNote!) or loudly reciting the scripts as the episode played. SEE Cowslips this is Kira, with is Japanese for killer! But it also means light, like to light up the world? So everyone calls him KIRA because he's KILLING people!

It's like some people can't let you enjoy something at your own place. I got a friend hooked on Game of Thrones, and she was on season 1 when I was on 5, but I didn't spoil poo poo for her!

Or the opposite, when they know you're ahead of them in a show and keep asking you things that are covered in future episodes/seasons. Like alright, turn off the TV and I'll just tell you everything if that's what you really want. I'm sure it'll be much more entertaining than actually enjoying the story as it unfolds!

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

teenytinymouse posted:

My pet peeve is that it's not socially acceptable to ask strangers to wash their hands when I see them not doing it. Like how much of a brass neck do you have to have to walk past someone in the bathroom washing their hands and just not feel any shame that I SAW YOU, YOU PISS GOBLIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDxneBS5MVI

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I see this a lot in TVIV, but I don't know if it's a forums-specific thing or how common it is in other online discussion sites or IRL...

In the past couple of years, I've been seeing people discussing TV/movies say, "[character]'s actor" instead of "the actor who plays [character]," and it's so awkward and jarring. Like,

quote:

Superman's actor is really good.
It sounds like something a child or someone not fluent in English would say. Just say the actor's name, or "the guy who plays Superman" or whatever. You're online -- you can look it up if you don't know the guy's name.

But (peeve part 2) I've been seeing it when discussing shows with a small cast or a well-known actor in the role, which is even lamer. If you're watching the X-Files, say, and you're enough of a fan to discuss it online with other fans, everybody should know who David Duchovny is, so nobody should be using that dumb "Mulder's actor" construction.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

Sounds like everything went according to her keikaku*.

*"Keikaku" means "plan"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Rabbit Hill posted:

I see this a lot in TVIV, but I don't know if it's a forums-specific thing or how common it is in other online discussion sites or IRL...

In the past couple of years, I've been seeing people discussing TV/movies say, "[character]'s actor" instead of "the actor who plays [character]," and it's so awkward and jarring. Like,

It sounds like something a child or someone not fluent in English would say. Just say the actor's name, or "the guy who plays Superman" or whatever. You're online -- you can look it up if you don't know the guy's name.

But (peeve part 2) I've been seeing it when discussing shows with a small cast or a well-known actor in the role, which is even lamer. If you're watching the X-Files, say, and you're enough of a fan to discuss it online with other fans, everybody should know who David Duchovny is, so nobody should be using that dumb "Mulder's actor" construction.

It might be a psychological thing for if someones really invested in the show. It's not specifically an intentional thing, but I tend to think in terms of the character's actor or voice, as opposed to separating the actor out, especially if I'm invested, or if the actor has a name that I've just forgotten. Like with Steven Universe, I won't remember many of the cast members names due to not following music all that much, I only know Estelle because she's one of the mains, I literally hadn't heard of her before the show. Then I kinda liked her music after the fact. On the one hand my internal monologue is like "Zack Callison/Jennifer Paz/Estelle/Patti Lupone did a really good job with that scene" but on the other it's "Wow, Blue Diamond's VO sounds very like something in Dark Souls". Not being intentionally childish, it's just how I think and therefore how I type.

I guess, if the series is reeling me in enough, I think of a voice as belonging to the character as much as the actor, hence writing as if the character is the possessor. When hearing the characters it's not "Patti Lupone is doing Yellow Diamond" that springs to mind but "Yellow Diamond's voice is provided by Patti Lupone"

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Apr 24, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Also remember that phone posting is a thing and sometimes people couldn't be bothered to do a lookup copy paste

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Wrath of Mordark posted:

Sounds like everything went according to her keikaku*.

*"Keikaku" means "plan"

DIE.

Besides you need to sprinkle more otaku words in there. Maybe Cowslips-chan?

Peeve: been listening to some talk radio, and do these fuckers just not write poo poo down? On three shows, all different people stammered over sentences or couldn't form words or had clips ready. Fuckers, this is your job! Is it so hard to write down your points on commercial break?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Cowslips Warren posted:

DIE.

Besides you need to sprinkle more otaku words in there. Maybe Cowslips-chan?

I think you mean Kawa Sulipisu-chan. :colbert:

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

teenytinymouse posted:

My pet peeve is that it's not socially acceptable to ask strangers to wash their hands when I see them not doing it. Like how much of a brass neck do you have to have to walk past someone in the bathroom washing their hands and just not feel any shame that I SAW YOU, YOU PISS GOBLIN

I just bought a vape pen and I like it a lot, smokers in work are telling me about all the "chemicals" like where is the ingredients list for all the not-chemicals that's in your cigs bucko is it under the big print that says cigs contain like 70 carcinogenic substances???

I catch customers doing this at work ALL THE TIME when I'm at the sink washing my hands. I CAN SEE YOU MOTORING PAST BEHIND ME, AND YES I WILL REMEMBER THE NEXT TIME I SEE YOU

One kinda yelled I USED HAND SANITIZER as she went past. I don't understand this. Why would you bother if you have access to soap and water, hand sanitizer is for when you *can't* wash.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Zeth posted:

I catch customers doing this at work ALL THE TIME when I'm at the sink washing my hands. I CAN SEE YOU MOTORING PAST BEHIND ME, AND YES I WILL REMEMBER THE NEXT TIME I SEE YOU

One kinda yelled I USED HAND SANITIZER as she went past. I don't understand this. Why would you bother if you have access to soap and water, hand sanitizer is for when you *can't* wash.

Her hands are Sanitized man, she has SANE HANDS. Can't you leave her and her SANE hands alone :v:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Hand sanitizer is for a false sense of security, luckily they've banned the poo poo ones in Australia.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This has probably been discussed before in the 190 pages of this thread, but people who throw trash out their car windows, and especially smokers who throw cigarette butts everywhere, from their cars or just when walking around.

It pisses me off to no end.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I'm in a course right now and there is some chick here who manages to talk in such a weird way that it pisses me off.
I can't really explain it very good, but she manages to not hit any normal tonal pitch of sentences that you expect.

So for example if you ask a question your pitch slowly goes up to the end of the sentence, right? With her it just goes up and down like a loving rollercoaster.

And I got to hear her for two more weeks.

:bang:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Helios Grime posted:

I'm in a course right now and there is some chick here who manages to talk in such a weird way that it pisses me off.
I can't really explain it very good, but she manages to not hit any normal tonal pitch of sentences that you expect.

So for example if you ask a question your pitch slowly goes up to the end of the sentence, right? With her it just goes up and down like a loving rollercoaster.

And I got to hear her for two more weeks.

:bang:

There's this Youtube cooking channel, Food Wishes. The videos are well shot and edited, but the host speaks like some kind of alien. It drives me crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXPhVYpQLPA

His intonation and sentence speed just seem to fluctuate randomly! Who talks like that? Stop!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

There's this Youtube cooking channel, Food Wishes. The videos are well shot and edited, but the host speaks like some kind of alien. It drives me crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXPhVYpQLPA

His intonation and sentence speed just seem to fluctuate randomly! Who talks like that? Stop!

I hear this a lot on YouTube channels and sometimes podcasts. I think this sort of weird intonation happens when mumbly mouth people try to sound like real radio/TV announcers by mimicking their speech patterns

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Last Chance posted:

I hear this a lot on YouTube channels and sometimes podcasts. I think this sort of weird intonation happens when mumbly mouth people try to sound like real radio/TV announcers by mimicking their speech patterns

It's like when my brother watched a few LP videos with me from goons, where he mentioned that it seemed like a lot of people online laugh like they've never heard anyone laugh before. I never noticed anything like that here, but I have heard that kind of laugh since elsewhere - a kind of desperate, almost forced "I get that reference and must let everyone know" kind of shriek.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When people at work show me things by physically touching and pressing on my monitor screen. Do not do that.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

This has probably been discussed before in the 190 pages of this thread, but people who throw trash out their car windows, and especially smokers who throw cigarette butts everywhere, from their cars or just when walking around.

It pisses me off to no end.

I don't understand littering to begin with but it's even worse to me when someone's in their car, their own little place that's usually full of their own stuff, and they toss their trash out the window. like get a small bag or something for your garbage??? it takes more effort to toss it out the window (usually while driving, too) than to just leave it in your loving car

I hate littering and I also hate people who throw trash in the recycle bins :mad:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Digirat posted:

When people at work show me things by physically touching and pressing on my monitor screen. Do not do that.

Even though I have a touchscreen laptop now I still get irritated by this, because the people who do this always seem to have the greasiest fingers imaginable. Also it's rude to start scrolling around and clicking on things on my computer without asking.

My boss does it a lot and I always offer him my surface pen to avoid this but he always just twirls it around in one hand and uses his fingers on the screen instead. He's the boss though so I have to just deal with it and wipe it down after the meeting's over.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BioEnchanted posted:

It's like when my brother watched a few LP videos with me from goons, where he mentioned that it seemed like a lot of people online laugh like they've never heard anyone laugh before. I never noticed anything like that here, but I have heard that kind of laugh since elsewhere - a kind of desperate, almost forced "I get that reference and must let everyone know" kind of shriek.
I think maybe it's people compensating for their normal laugh being too quiet for the microphone to pick up. So if someone says something amusing but not hilarious, they might naturally laugh, but they know that the audience won't hear it so they exaggerate it for the recording and it ends up sounding fake.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In airports: People who hop on those moving walkways and stop; they're meant to help people get where they're going faster, you're not supposed to ride them.

Likewise, people who get to the top of the queue at the gate and don't get their boarding pass or passport out until they're actually at the front of the line, even after every single PA announcement for the past 15 minutes has been "please have your boarding pass and photographic ID ready for inspection". It's not difficult.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

In airports: People who hop on those moving walkways and stop; they're meant to help people get where they're going faster, you're not supposed to ride them.

They're like escalators - depending on what country you're in, one side is for standers, one is for walkers. Standing on them is fine (albeit very lazy) as long as you aren't in the way.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Usually they explicitly have walk and stand sides too.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Training videos at work with loving narration.

I am working on one set. Another coworker is working on another. So I mute mine and turn on closed captioning.

Does he? NO.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I made some minestrone soup today and offered my brother some to try, which he did, and he liked it. he bought me a flower pot from his work and I gave him cash for it; after he ate the soup he asked if he could have more and gave me a dollar back. he ate like more than half of the soup and it was supposed to last me 2-3 days, instead there's a single small bowl's worth left. what the gently caress dude

also he never fills up the water jug but takes a quart at a time out of it ('I don't like straight tap water' he says even tho it's straight tap water from an hour ago) instead of drinking out of a glass like a normal person

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rabbit Hill posted:

In the past couple of years, I've been seeing people discussing TV/movies say, "[character]'s actor" instead of "the actor who plays [character]," and it's so awkward and jarring.
Along similar lines: people who refer to characters by the actors' names. "Loved that scene where Brad Pitt interrogated the Nazis." I'm always thinking of them as the aliens from Galaxy Quest.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It drives me crazy too because his food looks great but I absolutely cannot watch these. I wish he was a better narrator or a worse cook. At this point I'm certain he does it deliberately to get comments and views.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Likewise, people who get to the top of the queue at the gate and don't get their boarding pass or passport out until they're actually at the front of the line, even after every single PA announcement for the past 15 minutes has been "please have your boarding pass and photographic ID ready for inspection". It's not difficult.
I flew out of Ireland yesterday and a bunch of Germans jumped the priority boarding queue without having priority boarding, then didn't understand why they were being sent back. Like what do you even do in a foreign country when you speak that little of the language, did you really spend hundreds of euros to clap along to Waxie's Dargle and otherwise look at sheep wondering which of you was the greater contributor to society?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When the fresh pretzels at the store are inexplicably made with no salt (or have like 2 grains on the whole thing). It's fine to offer saltless ones for the weirdos but making the entire batch that way is annoying. The other extreme is bad too where they are more white than brown because of the insane amount of salt they put on, but at least in that case you can scrape some off.

This is one of my more petty pet peeves but hey, I like pretzels and being able to get fresh ones at the store is one of the top perks of living in Germany and it ruins the shopping trip when I can't get any.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I don't like when I see college kids around campus riding their bikes "with no hands." wow you're so cool :rolleyes:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Last Chance posted:

I don't like when I see college kids around campus riding their bikes "with no hands." wow you're so cool :rolleyes:

Are you somebody's aunt on facebook?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
People saying they "could care less" annoys me because it means the opposite of what they're usually trying to say.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
People saying that "could care less" means the opposite of what I'm trying to say when I say it, because grammar trumps context/familiarity at all times, annoys me.

(Bonus: My phone trying FIVE TIMES to replace "trumps" with "Trump's" in the above sentence was also annoying.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

People who feel it necessary to talk about how much they don't care often actually do. Therefore "I could care less", taken literally, may not be what they mean, but it's probably true.

QED

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I hate people being needlessly lovely to teammates in video games. It's usually from the worst person on the team too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If someone is behind you on the street and speeding up to go by, please don't also speed up to keep a small distance between you, only to slow back down and close the gap again when you're several feet away. Let them pass. :mad: