Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Steam did that thing where you log in and nothing is in its category. I almost had a heart attack. :stare:

I restarted it and everything was restored to its rightful place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It is the 90s, and it is time for Steam-related announcements of note.

Jackbox Games have announced a fourth iteration of their Party Packs is coming this fall. The first game announced is Fibbage 3, which gives the audience more opportunities to play along (and the players more opportunities to earn points by fooling the audience).

Natsume have announced that they're gonna give this whole "PC gaming" thing a shot, and that their first release, due this year, will be a port of the fantastic Wild Guns Reloaded, a previously-PS4-exclusive re-do of the cult-classic SNES shooter.

Finally, the author of Borderless Gaming has announced Rainway, an impending app that aims to let you stream PC games to a number of platforms, including smartphones and the Nintendo Switch. It aims to enter beta next month.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

Natsume have announced that they're gonna give this whole "PC gaming" thing a shot, and that their first release, due this year, will be a port of the fantastic Wild Guns Reloaded, a previously-PS4-exclusive re-do of the cult-classic SNES shooter.

What!? :vince:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
that looks pretty good

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

if i've never played nier or any platnium game ever, should I start Autotama on Easy? i'm really probably not gonna be any good at the combat (i play mostly JRPG's) so i'm kinda worried that while the story is something i'm gonna love (based on what i've seen of the first few hours), the combat might be too hard for me lol

i guess none of this matters if i can change difficulties
Not only can you change difficulties whenever you want, there are no achievements related to difficulty levels, nor do you get better loot or anything like that for playing on any of the difficulties.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Is Ultimate Battle Simulator any good? It looks kinda fun.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I would like to thank you all for your help but a second much less fixable problem occurred where my computer can't render the game without gently caress-tons of lag, to the point where it's unplayable for me even at the lowest settings.

so uh gonna have to wait to buy a new laptop for this one anyway :sweatdrop:

There's a fanpatch called FAR that can improve fps by a ton while giving up very little fidelity. Hit up the main thread.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_GNtBd98TA

i miss the old sam fisher VA

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

At some point in the past week, someone in here told someone else that Environmental Station Alpha is a better game than Axiom Verge. This piqued my interest as a Metroidvania fanatic and I played about 20 minutes before realizing no. Axiom Verge is still definitely a better game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DaveKap posted:

At some point in the past week, someone in here told someone else that Environmental Station Alpha is a better game than Axiom Verge. This piqued my interest as a Metroidvania fanatic and I played about 20 minutes before realizing no. Axiom Verge is still definitely a better game.

What don't you like about ESA?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

What don't you like about ESA?
I am less enjoying the music (sounds like Spelunky, AKA Genesis music,) the graphics (the extra-low fidelity just doesn't grab me), the short-shot play (which I assume gets better later?) and just the general boredom I had playing up to the second boss. I'm not saying it's a bad game but I am saying that I've found little enjoyment in it so far.

Edit: I'm gonna try playing some more to see if it changes my mind but it's death by a thousands cuts for me as I keep finding little annoyances.

Edit 2: I'm enjoying it more as I see more variety in music and biomes past boss 2 but, nah, still like Axiom Verge waaaay better.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 24, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Night in the Woods is pretty good. I mean, I'm a shitbag 20-something person trying to figure his poo poo out but I'unno, I guess the game has its target audience?

Also if you're playing Nier Automata on PC you REALLY should download FAR. It gave me a full 360p!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DaveKap posted:

I am less enjoying the music (sounds like Spelunky, AKA Genesis music,) the graphics (the extra-low fidelity just doesn't grab me), the short-shot play (which I assume gets better later?) and just the general boredom I had playing up to the second boss. I'm not saying it's a bad game but I am saying that I've found little enjoyment in it so far.

Edit: I'm gonna try playing some more to see if it changes my mind but it's death by a thousands cuts for me as I keep finding little annoyances.

Edit 2: I'm enjoying it more as I see more variety in music and biomes past boss 2 but, nah, still like Axiom Verge waaaay better.

That's completely fair! Thanks for the detailed info - I too prefer Axiom Verge, but it's always interesting to delve into the reasons why we like things or not. :D

ESA does have a better grappling hook though. :v:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's completely fair! Thanks for the detailed info - I too prefer Axiom Verge, but it's always interesting to delve into the reasons why we like things or not. :D

ESA does have a better grappling hook though. :v:
Honestly I hate the grappling hook in both games. Ugh.

Edit: Yeah, 2 hours in and despite getting a little bit of satisfaction from some of the back tracking and power upping, nothing in this game is hitting a high note with me the way Axiom Verge consistently did.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 24, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Kins posted:

I've always wanted to try this since it was featured in a "hidden gems" episode of Game Sack, it seems impossibly good for some little-known SNES sidescroller.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Wild Guns is an unsung classic, but Natsume for some reason made a lot of good games that never got the marketing or recognition they needed. (Aside from Harvest Moon, anyway.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Wild Guns is an unsung classic, but Natsume for some reason made a lot of good games that never got the marketing or recognition they needed. (Aside from Harvest Moon, anyway.)

Fun fact: Natsume never made any of the HM games until very recently, when, upon learning that the company who did make them was going to have a western division now, they went "Well gently caress you we'll get our own dev team, with hookers and blow", and started publishing their games under that name while the old crew had to take on the Story of Seasons name.

gently caress Natsume, is what I'm saying.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 24, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Playing the new Shovel Knight content... wow Spectre Knight is a lot of fun to play as. I didn't think that I'd like him nearly as much as Plague Knight but his movement mechanics are really cool

Plague Knight is still the coolest/best but Spectre Knight is a lot of fun!

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Aphex- posted:

I'm playing through Nier Automata at the moment. On my 2nd run and it's a really fun game, but wow I'm really surprised at how highly rated it is. Like, it's great and I'm having a good time but I see a lot of sites and people saying it's one of the greatest games ever made and... I'm just not seeing that? are there specific reasons why people think it's the best game ever? Am I missing something here?

Not really, its a cool game and bear in mind i am not as far as you are but given the mass of praise I've seen I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to play it.

Last night the wife was out playing bingo and i had 3 hours and a free house to do what i wished with, ended up doing the dishes then playing Rocket League for a coupe of hours. Seeing exceptional praise before you've really got stuck into a game is kind of off putting.

Its like single player ladder anxiety :aaaaa:

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

The Kins posted:

Finally, the author of Borderless Gaming has announced Rainway, an impending app that aims to let you stream PC games to a number of platforms, including smartphones and the Nintendo Switch. It aims to enter beta next month.

There are some apps that did this already such as kino console and remotr but they're fairly flakey in my experience. Hopefully this is solid since I would love to be able to steam to my android tablet without having to have an nvidia GPU.

Horn fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 24, 2017

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

monster on a stick posted:

Those of you who have Amazon Prime and thus Twitch Prime - Kentucky Route Zero is free to claim until the 24th. You need to use the Twitch Launcher to play it though, so no Steam key.

All the other KRZ threads seem to have died :rip:

Is this worth playing before all the episodes are out?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM6FaItcZTw&t=35s

yes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

nachos posted:

Is this worth playing before all the episodes are out?

Considering the universe may go into heat death before the next episode comes out, then yes.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A lot of people might get soured on the hacking minigame in some parts of it - I didn't mind - but it is pretty simplistic and repetitive. I think it's probably better than it being too involved, and you don't have to do it too much, but YMMV.

The hacking game isn't the problem, it's that it replaces your heavy attack button, which makes combat even less exciting than it already was if you figured out how easy it is to trivialize combat in your first playthrough.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's cool that there's another Jackbox coming out, but I kind of miss YDKJ. Then again it's weird I've been playing those on and off since the 90s. I mean poo poo I played the first YDKJ on the Playstation 1.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Reach was poo poo, 3 was much better. Reach is the lowest point of the series, ODST the highest.

No matter what you think of Reach this will never be true as long as Halo 4 exists.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 24, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dysan the Shapeshifter is :catdrugs:

(this is the most normal I could get it looking)

I... uh... might pop this in my 'never gonna play' category.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

RBA Starblade posted:

It's cool that there's another Jackbox coming out, but I kind of miss YDKJ. Then again it's weird I've been playing those on and off since the 90s. I mean poo poo I played the first YDKJ on the Playstation 1.

Jackbox really does need some sort of generic trivia game. YDKJ from the first box is a poor fit for the everyone plays at once style that makes the games fun. I'd love a game that played pretty much identically to Trivia Murder Party but with Cookie hosting and the old YDKJ humor.

Mostly I just want more commercials.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Cowcaster posted:

i finally fired up nier automata just to get the graphics settings tweakable with geforce experience.

i got the little resolution fixer tool, but it sounds like i should leave anti-aliasing off because it causes performance problems and just run it with ambient occlusion on, which comes with a bit of anti-aliasing baked in? c/d?

I haven't had issues with AA on my GTX 970 and some of the in-game graphics settings like AO can cause the lighting to go crazy with bright flashes on all water sources.

Also in the FAR config file the two added graphics settings control parts of the entire lighting system, so turning them off will gently caress up the lighting & make everything too really dark or blindingly bright depending (bloom & HDR maybe, not at my computer)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Did they fix the bug yet for Nier on PC where you can't get native resolution without playing in windowed mode?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
No but there is a fan patch that fixes it. I think there is a pinned thread in the game's steam forum with the link to it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

Did they fix the bug yet for Nier on PC where you can't get native resolution without playing in windowed mode?

That's what the fan patch is for

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

exquisite tea posted:

No, they haven't updated the game at all so far iirc. The only way to get a good res is to use FAR or sometimes pressing alt-enter when you're actually in gameplay works for some people.

The game's graphics system is way screwy. At least FAR itself keeps getting regular updates :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That kind of stuff shouldn't be a big deal but it drives me crazy, and partly why I ended up refunding it until they work out all the technical issues.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I agree, frankly. I enjoyed the game with FAR helping out, but there really should be more from the devs than a post on March 22 saying "hey we're totally looking into the bugs guys" with nothing after.

Especially since it's a Platinum joint and they've done really well with PC ports before.

edit: also FAR isn't really a complete fix, cause some of the updates have introduced slowdown, made the game not start at all, or introduced other errors. It's a really well-made workaround, but it's still just a workaround.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 24, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Lot of Steam game announcements today. Introversion (Darwinia, DEFCON, Prison Architect...) have just announced Scanner Sombre, a short first-person walky-story where you have to use a Lidar Scanner to paint a pitch-black world with laser dots so you can see the cave around you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NFlo9FEfaY

It'll be out on Wednesday, where it'll be ten bucks at launch, and twelve a short time afterwards.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The Kins posted:

Lot of Steam game announcements today. Introversion (Darwinia, DEFCON, Prison Architect...) have just announced Scanner Sombre, a short first-person walky-story where you have to use a Lidar Scanner to paint a pitch-black world with laser dots so you can see the cave around you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NFlo9FEfaY

It'll be out on Wednesday, where it'll be ten bucks at launch, and twelve a short time afterwards.

Looks interesting, but I was hoping for some cool video segments with animated NPCs or whatever. Maybe I'm too picky.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh man, looks like Vanquish is coming to Steam soon, as Bayonetta had a small patch with a picture of the Vanquish main character.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Rirse posted:

Oh man, looks like Vanquish is coming to Steam soon, as Bayonetta had a small patch with a picture of the Vanquish main character.
:f5h::eyepop::fh:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Rirse posted:

Holy poo poo. :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Can't wait for the announcement of a Vanquish DLC outfit for Bayonetta.

• Locked thread