Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nissir posted:

One more thing, last time I played anything without a light saber was basically impossible to play. Is there still a big gap in pvp, or have they balanced it ranged vs melee?

Ranged has pretty much always had an advantage in PvP. The top dogs right now are Merc and Sniper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Ranged has pretty much always had an advantage in PvP. The top dogs right now are Merc and Sniper.

Concealment op is fun though

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Concealment op is fun though

For the first time in years it's actually pretty good in PvP too. :D

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Here is something that I just learned.

When you craft the high level gear from schematics you get in command boxes, they do not have mods slots. Also, they do not count towards gear sets.

So is crafting just to gear out slots you haven't gotten yet through command boxes? To make stuff for your low level alts and friends? To sell on the GTN? Do people buy this stuff on the GTN?

Is some crafting (Biotech and Cybertech) more useful than others?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Coming back after a four year hiatus, is there any reason to make new characters? I've finished the class stories for the imperial side, but am at best half-way through the republic classes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BigRoman posted:

Here is something that I just learned.

When you craft the high level gear from schematics you get in command boxes, they do not have mods slots. Also, they do not count towards gear sets.

So is crafting just to gear out slots you haven't gotten yet through command boxes? To make stuff for your low level alts and friends? To sell on the GTN? Do people buy this stuff on the GTN?

Is some crafting (Biotech and Cybertech) more useful than others?

Yeah, the armor and weapons you craft are full pieces. They are cheap ways of getting high stat gear when you don't have your set bonus. It's always been like that. Biochem will craft implants, which you don't have to worry about set bonus on anyway. Overall Cybertech is the most valuable - it can make mods, enhancements and earpieces (and grenades for PvP). Artifice makes hilts, Synthweaving and Armormech make DPS/Heal and Tank armorings respectively, Armstech makes Barrels.

Preechr posted:

Coming back after a four year hiatus, is there any reason to make new characters? I've finished the class stories for the imperial side, but am at best half-way through the republic classes.

Depends on if you want to see the republic stories or the new content. I recommend seeing all 8 class stories, they're realistically the best content in the game, though some stories are weaker than others.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I really wish there was a story replay feature, all that Sith Warrior stuff was badass as hell (especially Alderaan and the filler planet where you can reprise Vader choking a bitch for doubting the power of the dark side of the force)

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I would like to loving kill Tyth just one time. Mabye we can make that happen this weekend?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Preechr posted:

I really wish there was a story replay feature, all that Sith Warrior stuff was badass as hell (especially Alderaan and the filler planet where you can reprise Vader choking a bitch for doubting the power of the dark side of the force)

If you haven't subbed either use Medullah's referall link in the OP or you can use mine http://www.swtor.com/r/Drnhhm - gets you some free poo poo like inventory expansions and whatnot on all characters. XP is massively boosted so if you wanted to create a new character you can blitz through most of the main story and avoid doing all the side quests stuff again, or you can just carry on the story from your existing Imp characters (although it's less class specific and eventually even less faction specific) with Makeb, Revan, Ziost etc.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I would like to loving kill Tyth just one time. Mabye we can make that happen this weekend?

The chances of getting 8 goons together is very low. The chances of getting 2 tanks, 2 healers, and 4 DPS at the same time is astronomically lower.

There are pug groups forming for it all the time though, and as cool as it would be to have a guild run, the chances of that sink. :(

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Medullah posted:

The chances of getting 8 goons together is very low. The chances of getting 2 tanks, 2 healers, and 4 DPS at the same time is astronomically lower.

Which part of the triforce are you most short on, and how geared does one need to be for whatever Tyth is?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Which part of the triforce are you most short on, and how geared does one need to be for whatever Tyth is?

We haven't attempted to raid in probably a year, so there's really no good answer to that. We have a "Raiding interest" channel on our Discord where people can post when they're available and we can try and put something together. Story Mode should be bolstered so your gear won't matter much, as long as you're wearing something for your spec in every slot (so no tank armor when you're a DPS)

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I joined a pub group about a year ago as my Merc healer for the gree op and by sheer luck was paired with not one but two goons. I remember the op started so well, until we got stuck on the final fight and a 14 year old kept calling the other healer the n word. Good times.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

We haven't attempted to raid in probably a year, so there's really no good answer to that. We have a "Raiding interest" channel on our Discord where people can post when they're available and we can try and put something together. Story Mode should be bolstered so your gear won't matter much, as long as you're wearing something for your spec in every slot (so no tank armor when you're a DPS)

Tyth SM is pretty easy. You definitely only need 1 Tank and I've solo healed it as long as DPS is good about moving out of danger.

The 3-4 trash packs before him are probably harder...those Magma Droids will melt you quick.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Tyth SM is pretty easy. You definitely only need 1 Tank and I've solo healed it as long as DPS is good about moving out of danger.

The 3-4 trash packs before him are probably harder...those Magma Droids will melt you quick.

Well you have to remember most of our guild is inexperienced with raiding. :). I seem to remember an EV SM that we couldn't hit the DPS check on the first boss a while back....

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Red circles boost dps, right?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Aleth posted:

Red circles boost dps, right?

Correct. Purple puddles are a debuff, avoid them

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Medullah posted:

*whistles*

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Remember to use your interrupt randomly, they have neat animations!

PhireHawk
May 6, 2007

Modern Day Hero
I gave up on MMOs and PC gaming in general a while ago... and started playing consoles exclusively. I miss it though. I've no interest in going back to WoW, and I was a founder when this game first came out. I'm going to give this thing a shot.. I will shoot the required people a message in-game for an invite when everything is downloaded/etc. Way back when - I was a healer. I kind of want to tank, as that's always been something that I've been interested in, but never had the balls to try. I was Imp before, but I'm open to going to Reb... where are we more active?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

PhireHawk posted:

I gave up on MMOs and PC gaming in general a while ago... and started playing consoles exclusively. I miss it though. I've no interest in going back to WoW, and I was a founder when this game first came out. I'm going to give this thing a shot.. I will shoot the required people a message in-game for an invite when everything is downloaded/etc. Way back when - I was a healer. I kind of want to tank, as that's always been something that I've been interested in, but never had the balls to try. I was Imp before, but I'm open to going to Reb... where are we more active?

Most active on Jedi Covenant, Imperial side. Join our Discord linked in the OP. I try to keep the channels separated to be helpful but it's a futile battle. :)

Pretty much anyone who wants to try anything (tanking, raiding, etc) post on Discord when you're looking to play and there are some of us who might help you out but might not be in game.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Despite someone shamefully ragequitting early on we had a group take down Tyth tonight. The only problem is it seems like if you're down when the boss dies the mission 'Facing the Machines of War' doesn't credit you with the kill, although the weekly mission and achievements will still trigger just fine.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Aleth posted:

Despite someone shamefully ragequitting

On Tyth no less. :downsrim:

I'll show myself out.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Aleth posted:

Despite someone shamefully ragequitting early on we had a group take down Tyth tonight. The only problem is it seems like if you're down when the boss dies the mission 'Facing the Machines of War' doesn't credit you with the kill, although the weekly mission and achievements will still trigger just fine.

:tizzy:

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Aleth posted:

This happened to me. It is very hard to get a random group when you are a dime a dozen dps. Also I died about 1 minute before the boss did :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Turbl, can confirm on Iokath that Lacerate stuns you as well as the enemy. :( I think you take the damage too - I am geared in almost all 240-248 gear and am dying to trash packs heh. Lethality swap, here I go.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Turbl, can confirm on Iokath that Lacerate stuns you as well as the enemy. :( I think you take the damage too - I am geared in almost all 240-248 gear and am dying to trash packs heh. Lethality swap, here I go.

There is a lot of wackiness specific to Iokath...I completely understand why they wanted to wait a week.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
What is itemization like in this game? Are there legendary/rare weapons and armor to chase?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

What is itemization like in this game? Are there legendary/rare weapons and armor to chase?

Gearing is very straight forward (as of Tuesday) - you raid to get the best gear, harder raids = better gear. There is a secondary system called Galactic Command that gives you a chance at the best gear as well, you earn points for that for pretty much any activity.

All of the rare items are purely cosmetic - they are empty shells that you pull the mods out of your raid gear and put them in the shell. Most rare items are from the Cartel Market, which sells random boxes with lottery chance items, and you can buy those from other players.

There aren't epic weapon quests like say, EverQuest had.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Alright you slackers, listen up! Given the recent whining about not being able to knock down a weak-arsed uppity bot, nonentity's prize donation and Medullah's desire to see you all sweat for a change we've decided that for the next contest you need to put in some EFFORT.

PARSING AND YOU

First up: go download Starparse.
Second: run it.
Third: go hit the Operations training dummy on the Ziost Shadow in the Imperial Fleet, the Pub one on Gav Daragon or any you may have bought for your own ship.
Fourth: post your logs for judgement, complete with character name showing so we know who to send any prizes to.

***ADDENDUM: you will be allowed a total of TWO entries, the first for parsing against the training dummy, the second for parsing a live fire exercise (FP, Op or what-have-you).***

BUT I AM A WEAK BABBY!

Fortunately for you the actual results of the parse don't matter and winners will be drawn randomly from all entrants. Still, man up and hit harder!

BUT I WANNA DRESS UP!

Good for you! Post screenshots of you working out in your best gym gear and there may be a bonus in it for you. Or not. But maybe.

PRIZES

Courtesy of nonentity:
Plus whatever else is in the vault.

DEADLINE

Currently looking like the end of the month, may change depending on how well you all seem to be progressing with your training.
Medullah wants me to give you until 8th May.

Disclaimer: if at any time your forum name is changed from that of your entry you are ineligible for the contest.

Aleth fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 4, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

To make it nice and easy, here's a step by step guide!

Click "Parse"

Click "Damage"

Uncheck "target type" and check "Ability"

Have at it with the dummy for a bit!

Post your screenshot, should look like -

Medullah fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 24, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just got in with the Amazon $40 card to play the story content on my own, been needing a Star Wars fix. Does anyone have a good recommendation of what order I should do the story missions in? I'd preferably like to do worst to best in terms of quality but I also don't want to get bored terribly quick. I'm jumping between Imperial Agent and Jedi Knight right now as I was told those two are the best, but I would like to know which of the other ones are worth bothering with as a solo player.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Taintrunner posted:

Just got in with the Amazon $40 card to play the story content on my own, been needing a Star Wars fix. Does anyone have a good recommendation of what order I should do the story missions in? I'd preferably like to do worst to best in terms of quality but I also don't want to get bored terribly quick. I'm jumping between Imperial Agent and Jedi Knight right now as I was told those two are the best, but I would like to know which of the other ones are worth bothering with as a solo player.

Sith Warrior (LS) and Inquisitor (DS) were both decent. I quit the Jedi Knight story halfway through because I got bored to tears but Agent contrasts nicely with the glowstick-swinging stories. I've heard Smuggler is fun but I never got around to it.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Honestly I think they're all worth doing and you're going to get varying opinions on what's best and worst. I'd personally rank them something like agent > sith warrior > bounty hunter/inquisitor > smuggler/consular > knight > trooper but I probably rank knight lower than most people. I've also seen bounty hunter ranked low but I really liked it. And even though I put trooper last I still enjoyed it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I would definitely suggest Agent as the last one though; while every story does have little nods and connections to characters and events in the others, the ones from the Agent have the best payoff from familiarity IMO.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Here's a question: Which class has a Dark Side path that is the least stupid and cartoonishly evil? So many of the choices seem dumb and can forget consequences. Like it'll be Light to save someone and Dark to kill them, even though saving them leads to them being brutally tortured for information. So I can hurt the war effort and immediately kill a person and be Dark, but I can keep them alive to suffer for months and then be paraded around and executed and that's Light. Sometimes they remember though, so it'll be Light to kill some robots with tortured human brains inside them, but Dark to send them back to the Empire to keep serving. Is there any story that is Dark, but more of a stone bastard rather than a giggling sociopath?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I think the republic trooper dark side path is more "hard men making hard choices" stuff than cartoonishly evil. There's one boss that once you beat him, the light option is to arrest him, and the dark option is to tell control that they are about to have a communications malfunction while you dispense a summary execution. Yelling at senators, punching dickweed Alderanian nobles, a bunch of "you can't handle the truth" kind of stuff.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
To be honest all of them have some DS choices that are dumb and don't make sense even if you're trying to play as pureblood, power-hungry Sithlord. I'd probably say Bounty Hunter and Agent are more what you're looking for with most of their DS options being along the lines of leaving no witnesses, but even they have some choices that just don't fit.

Speaking of fit(-ness), in regards to the contest this here is an Operations Training Dummy:

You can find one here:

You get to the Ziost Shadow by taking an Interfleet Transport (go use the western elevator 'Mission Departures' in the Imperial Fleet), then go to the Bridge Deck.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Mulva posted:

Here's a question: Which class has a Dark Side path that is the least stupid and cartoonishly evil? So many of the choices seem dumb and can forget consequences. Like it'll be Light to save someone and Dark to kill them, even though saving them leads to them being brutally tortured for information. So I can hurt the war effort and immediately kill a person and be Dark, but I can keep them alive to suffer for months and then be paraded around and executed and that's Light. Sometimes they remember though, so it'll be Light to kill some robots with tortured human brains inside them, but Dark to send them back to the Empire to keep serving. Is there any story that is Dark, but more of a stone bastard rather than a giggling sociopath?

I'll always recommend dark side smuggler. Light side is kind of boring, you just run errands for the Republic for half of it. Dark side smuggler unleashes a lot of righteous vengeance on the road to building a criminal empire. The ending is a lot more satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Ugh, just ran Story Mode EV and DF, and my DPS bounced between 3.5k and 4.5k. I knew I was bad, but to have it confirmed like this...

• Locked thread